TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KCC

Kurt Angle released!

Get well soon Angle. Thats all i can say

It only adds to the already established idea that TNA can't make its own stars and has to steal them from WWE.

AWM, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, Chris Sabin, Sonjay Dutt, Alex Shelley, Petey Williams all say hello.

How many of those mentioned are really stars though (as in people whoa ctually draw the crowds/buyrates)? I dont think they have many self-created stars at all. But this is a topic not suitable for this thread.

It only adds to the already established idea that TNA can't make its own stars and has to steal them from WWE.

AWM, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, Chris Sabin, Sonjay Dutt, Alex Shelley, Petey Williams all say hello.

How many of those mentioned are really stars though (as in people whoa ctually draw the crowds/buyrates)? I dont think they have many self-created stars at all. But this is a topic not suitable for this thread.

They can't be *stars* because they don't as much media coverage as WWE. And I think Samoa Joe IS draw in TNA now.

They can't be *stars* because they don't as much media coverage as WWE. And I think Samoa Joe IS draw in TNA now.

Yeah, Joe is probably the closest they have to a self-made star. Some would argue about AJ but I dont think so even though they have pushed him as their home-grown star. AMW is probably the most well known and established tag team of the 00 era of american wrestling though.

Due to personal issues Kurt Angle has been granted an early release from his contract. WWE looks forward to establishing a new relationship with Kurt in the near future.

The only gold medalist in WWE history, Kurt Angle arrived in 1999 and quickly became one of the most decorated champions in sports-entertainment history. "The Wrestling Machine" is not only a six-time World Champion, but also held the Intercontinental Championship, Tag Team Championship and won the 2000 King of the Ring tournament. Recently joining ECW, Angle’s unmatched intensity was rivaled only by his technical and athletic in-ring prowess.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/3230064

Man, what the fuck has happened to professional wrestling? This is what having no competition does? I mean, since the WWE bought WCW who have we lost?:

Curt Hennig, Eddie Guerrero, The Public Enemy. And Angle seems to be getting closer to being the next one, and I wonder if they even cut him because of their concern for his health or how it would make them look.

The Rock, Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar, and Steve Austin have seemingly quit wrestling. NO ONE seems motivated anymore, every one seems like they're going through the motions. Storylines are fucking garbage, I don't care how much you guys want to praise them, stacked up against storylines from even WWF '96 don't even match up. I look at the current WWE roster and don't see any break out star, anybody that will lead the company into a boom period and it's terrible, because I was a big wrestling fan. I held out some hope for TNA, but they don't even have direction. They don't care about competing with WWE, because if they did they'd be showing their signs (giving us Samoa Joe as a leader for starters). But instead they're feeding us Jarrett-Sting. No excuse for that. Bringing in Goldberg? Come on guys. The ONLY way that works is if he lays down for Samoa Joe and if that happens I'm gonna owe alot of people some money.

So, all I can do is sit back and wait for another boom period, or wait for somebody to sac-tap Mr. McMahon good and get him to realize that he's killing professional wrestling.

I mean, I'll still tune in of course. It's something I've been watching since I was three years old, I'll always love it, and I'll pray for it get good again. But I will not eat shit and smile about it. Or make the best out of trash. They have killed NWO, DX, WCW and ECW and it's not even 2010 yet. I can't fathom what they will go for next.

Guest The Prez
Man, what the fuck has happened to professional wrestling? This is what having no competition does? I mean, since the WWE bought WCW who have we lost?:

Curt Hennig, Eddie Guerrero, The Public Enemy. And Angle seems to be getting closer to being the next one, and I wonder if they even cut him because of their concern for his health or how it would make them look.

I'd actually say that although the lack of competition in the form of WCW has lead to a drop in standards in the quality of the WWE product, it will actually be beneficial for the health of the wrestlers in the long term.

During the Monday Night Wars and at the peak of the rivalry between the two companies, Vince had to stop his steroid testing, because WCW had no such policy, and this was hurting WWE. People with drug addictions, etc were on the roster, and if they had enough talent, they couldn't be fired, because WCW would happily have used them.

I mean... do you think someone like Kurt Angle would have been let go at the peak of the Monday Night Wars? No way.

How can you put DUTT on that list but neglect Homicide and Abyss. Also, it's not like Sting was a WWE name anyways.

Sorry it was early and i was tired. First names that came into my head.

But thats neither here nor there

I feel really bad for angle as he always gave his all, but hes just seemed to loose his way. I couldnt fathom the choice to put him into ECW.

Retirement's obviously the best thing for Kurt Angle. I quit watching wrestling anyways, so its hard to say I'll miss him.

I didn't read this whole thread, but were there plans to release a Kurt Angle DVD?

Hopefully Kurt cleans up his personal life and we see him back on tv healthy, healed and rejuvenated.

There's not much else to say.

Retirement's obviously the best thing for Kurt Angle. I quit watching wrestling anyways, so its hard to say I'll miss him.

I didn't read this whole thread, but were there plans to release a Kurt Angle DVD?

There was one VHS tape released very early in his career, probably late 2000 since it's advertised on my 2001 Rumble and No Way Out tapes, and there was supposed to be something, but then that turned into Cena's DVD somehow

Guest J0bber

There was one VHS tape released very early in his career, probably late 2000 since it's advertised on my 2001 Rumble and No Way Out tapes, and there was supposed to be something, but then that turned into Cena's DVD somehow

The VHS you are talking about is "It's True, It's True". I think it came out sometime in November 2000 along with a Chris Jericho VHS on the same date.

Guest Godlike

Unbelievable. What are the options for Kurt when/if he recovers?

1) Return to WWE: I consider that unlikely somehow.

2) TNA: he'd be a hit, no doubt. They need the likes of him too.

3) MMA: not inconcievable. Angle has legit shoot-wrestling skills, maybe he'll give it a go for the money if nothing else.

What do you guys reckon is next for "The Wrestling Machine"?

Unbelievable. What are the options for Kurt when/if he recovers?

1) Return to WWE: I consider that unlikely somehow.

2) TNA: he'd be a hit, no doubt. They need the likes of him too.

3) MMA: not inconcievable. Angle has legit shoot-wrestling skills, maybe he'll give it a go for the money if nothing else.

What do you guys reckon is next for "The Wrestling Machine"?

Considering how fucked up he could possibly get just by wrestling, MMA would be suicide.

If he goes and gets clean, he'll be back in WWE. If he stays as stubborn as he always has and doesn't immediately go to rehab, he'll go to TNA.

Guest GeeseGeese

I'm really hope Kurt Angle gets his life back on track and comes back, but of course his personal life should come before wrestling.

I wasn't feeling him in ECW. He wasn't the same Kurt Angle that I learned to love and cheer for, but any Kurt Angle is good Kurt Angle...I just hope he's back soon.

From PWInsider:

-WWE purposely did this on Friday afternoon since that's a well known time that the media will be slower on, with the thinking that by Monday morning it will be under lots of other headlines.

-Kurt Angle and his lawyer/agent had a meeting with WWE Friday afternoon. WWE told Kurt Angle the requirements for him if he wanted to stay with them, he refused what they wanted from him, and they fired him.

-WWE did not want to do this, but felt they had no choice at all. The thinking is that the only way they could help him is to make it so that he's no longer with them, since he refused what they wanted from him.

-With the way WWE has handled this should tell us all just how much in trouble Kurt Angle is in right now. This isn't something they would do if it wasn't as dire as possible.

-As we all know, Kurt's attitude was that if he's going to be in ECW, then ECW should be built around him instead of him being there to only help ECW build up it's name. He hated the fact that TBS was being pushed so hard, when he was almost just there.

-There are some inside of TNA who are already talking about being excited about a possible Angle/Joe match.

From PWInsider:

WWE told Kurt Angle the requirements for him if he wanted to stay with them, he refused what they wanted from him, and they fired him.

Sounds like Jeff Hardy, and we all know they made sure Jeff had got his act together before bringing him back.

From PWInsider:

WWE told Kurt Angle the requirements for him if he wanted to stay with them, he refused what they wanted from him, and they fired him.

Sounds like Jeff Hardy, and we all know they made sure Jeff had got his act together before bringing him back.

It's only been a week I know but there hasn't been anything at all saying Hardy is causing trouble. Why is it so hard for this board to give someone another chance?

Jeff couldn't even handle the TNA schedule without screwing up to the point that Jeff Jarrett gave up trying to save his job. WWE didn't give Eddie Guerrero or William Regal another chance until they proved themselves, especially in the case of Eddie. I'm all for Jeff being given a second chance but he should have proved it like Eddie, William and others have. The fact WWE hired Jeff back without him doing anything to prove himself, added to the fact that Jeff flaked out working the easier TNA schedule, shows that it's very likely Kurt just has to wait around and he'll get hired back with no questions asked.

From PWInsider:

It's only been a week I know but there hasn't been anything at all saying Hardy is causing trouble. Why is it so hard for this board to give someone another chance?

Jeff couldn't even handle the TNA schedule without screwing up to the point that Jeff Jarrett gave up trying to save his job. WWE didn't give Eddie Guerrero or William Regal another chance until they proved themselves, especially in the case of Eddie. I'm all for Jeff being given a second chance but he should have proved it like Eddie, William and others have. The fact WWE hired Jeff back without him doing anything to prove himself, added to the fact that Jeff flaked out working the easier TNA schedule, shows that it's very likely Kurt just has to wait around and he'll get hired back with no questions asked.

Kurt doesn't draw in the young, stupid, teenage girl demo that Jeff does. Jeff moves merch, right now Kurt isn't moving much of anything but questions about his health and sanity.

-As we all know, Kurt's attitude was that if he's going to be in ECW, then ECW should be built around him instead of him being there to only help ECW build up it's name. He hated the fact that TBS was being pushed so hard, when he was almost just there.

Can't argue with Kurt there... They could've built Angle as their Taz, but instead had him just there and not really using him for putting him in a fued.

Angle >>>> Big Show, anyday of the week.

Guest wildpegasus

From PWInsider:

Kurt doesn't draw in the young, stupid, teenage girl demo that Jeff does. Jeff moves merch, right now Kurt isn't moving much of anything but questions about his health and sanity.

Kurt Angle appears to be in a lot worse shape than Jeff Hardy as well.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/3232350

Beaten and battered

By Michael Cole

August 26, 2006

“My body is so beat up and run down, I can’t even think straight,” Kurt Angle tells WWE.com in an exclusive interview Saturday concerning his early release from his contract with World Wrestling Entertainment. Angle and WWE officials mutually agreed to end Angle’s relationship with the company on Friday.

Angle says seven years of non-stop wrestling has taken a major toll on his body, his mind and his family. “I need my body to reheal and rehab, I have done this for too long without a break. I haven’t been able to really enjoy my life. I haven’t seen my family, I’ve had problems with medication - I’m just fried physically and mentally.”

Angle’s business manager David Hawk claims, “Kurt’s in a tremendous amount of pain, he’s used prescription medication to deal with it. Kurt has come to the conclusion that unless he can get in the ring without the use of pain medication then he doesn’t need to be in there. He realizes he was just endangering himself and his opponents.”

The last straw for Angle seems to have occurred on August 13th, 2006, at an ECW live event in White Plains, New York. Angle was wrestling Rob Van Dam in a match where both competitors were fueled by the passionate ECW fans. “The crowd was wild,” Angle says. “Early on in the match, I pulled my groin, but I kept going, feeding off the crowd. Then I pulled my abdominal muscle off the pelvic bone, but I kept going as the crowd grew more wild. Finally, I blew out my hamstring, but we finished the match. The crowd stood and applauded - a standing ovation and that meant so much to me.”

Ironically that would be Angle’s last match.

WWE.com asked Angle if he would ever return to competition in WWE. Angle says “I can’t tell you that right now, I need to heal up mentally and physically. Until then, I can’t even think about returning.”

But Angle says WWE Chairman Vince McMahon told him the door is always open. “Vince says when I’m ready, if I’m ever ready, to come back just sign on the dotted line. I’ll tell you if I do return I’m going back to my roots, training on the mat like my amateur days. Longevity is the key.”

Hawk seems confident Angle will be in the ring again someday.

Angle has a final message to his legion of WWE and ECW fans. “Don’t be concerned, this move was for the best. It was a privilege to be able to compete for all of you. I’d like to say thank you.”

WWE.com will continue to follow up on Kurt Angle over the next several months.

Guest wildpegasus
Early on in the match, I pulled my groin, but I kept going, feeding off the crowd. Then I pulled my abdominal muscle off the pelvic bone, but I kept going as the crowd grew more wild. Finally, I blew out my hamstring, but we finished the match. The crowd stood and applauded - a standing ovation and that meant so much to me.

Yikes!! I winced when I read the pulled groin (been there, done that) and the adominal muscle off the pelvic bone.

Guest Princess Leena

I'll always believe Kurt will brush off that morning injury, and be on TV, jumping around.

You know, if that article is accurate, I wouldn't be surprised if Kurt did tear his quad the morning of the day he made fun of HHH for it. The guy is crazy. I really hope that article is more truth than wwe.com fluff and Kurt does realize what he needs to do to get his life and health back in order.

--The WWE web site ran a story on Kurt Angle's being let go. Angle called it a mutually agreed parting of the ways because he needs to heal up, needs a break and that Kurt has concluded that unless he can get in the ring without pain medication that he shouldn't be wrestling. He noted that not only did he pull his groin, but also tore his abdominal muscle on 8/13, all before he tore his hamstring. He said he has no idea when he'll be able to return. Obviously the great unanswered question is, Angle had a $1 million per year guaranteed contract with a company that always pays wrestlers while healing up, and even if they need rehab for drug dependances, or in the case of Shawn Michaels, for many years while having what was thought to be a career ending injury without missing a big paycheck because that's the nature of a guaranteed contract. Why this story is so incomplete is that why would someone with so many major financial obligations, leave a contract paying him that much money even if he's not sure if he can wrestle again and needs help? If someone has all those injuries and is relying on pain medication, of course it is for the best he gets out of the ring. But wrestlers get hurt every day, many go to rehab and come out of it, and aren't either being fired or asking to quit, or in this case both, for any of those reasons.

Meltzer.