TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

IC Belt....

I remember watching the WWF/E when I was a kid....And the one thing I remember is how much cooler I thought the Intercontinental Belt was than the World Title...Up until a few years ago...Most of the best matches have been for the IC belt and the coolest people were IC champs..The Mountie...Shawn Michaels..Diesel...Scott Hall was cool as shit when he was Razor and he the IC Belt....The Ladder Matches with HBK were classic....I remember Triple H and the Rock had a Hell of a ladder match at SummerSlam...I cant remember the year but Im sure it was the HIghway to Hell theme....Now Ive seen my favorite belt go to shit... retracted and brought back to shit...Hell I remember when the European Belt meant you were somebody..(My boy D-Lo)...Of all the titles.. The tag titles....the cruiserweight title...Have all been whored into crap the doesnt mean anything...The IC meant you were a Main Eventer....WrestleMania ended...IC match..World Title match...Now it opens Raw.....I WWE would bring the element back instead of treating it as only two belts mater..The Old WCW title on SmackDown..I dont care what they wanna call I know what the Hell it really is...And WWF/E title on Raw...Even now the best matches on Raw are for the IC belt..although with the same 3 people with a random 4th person thrown in every now and then...Anyone Else Agree...Also what are some of your Fav IC Champs and Matches.....

IMO, it seems like the WWE has put more attention towards the US Title than the IC Title. the US Title has had the best feuds these past years and better overall Champions sence both the IC and US Titles were brought back a couple of years ago.

interesting to note that, the IC Title hasn't been contended at a Co-Brand PPV sence Survivor Series 2004 and hasn't been defended at a WrestleMania sence WMX8.

IMO, it seems like the WWE has put more attention towards the US Title than the IC Title. the US Title has had the best feuds these past years and better overall Champions sence both the IC and US Titles were brought back a couple of years ago.

interesting to note that, the IC Title hasn't been contended at a Co-Brand PPV sence Survivor Series 2004 and hasn't been defended at a WrestleMania sence WMX8.

But What's the reason for it...The IC belt was once a Main Event Title..I just want to see it back to where it once was...

Every 2 weeks there is a #1 contenders match too bad all of the build up leads nowhere because the belt is rarely defended on PPV now a days.

IMO, it seems like the WWE has put more attention towards the US Title than the IC Title.

Yeah, which is odd considering how little they value the show the US Title is on.

Well... If I had... to... pick a favourite... IC title bout... hmm.. well... hey, let's say... Bulldog vs Bret... Hart... from SummerSlam 92. Favourite... of course Steamboat/Savage from Mania III is an all time classic... IC champ? Without thinking too much... about it.... hmm... Mr.... Perfect.

Well... If I had... to... pick a favourite... IC title bout... hmm.. well... hey, let's say... Bulldog vs Bret... Hart... from SummerSlam 92. Favourite... of course Steamboat/Savage from Mania III is an all time classic... IC champ? Without thinking too much... about it.... hmm... Mr.... Perfect.

Personally.... I think.... I... would.... hav... 2... say... ThE... Benoit vs Jericho.... Ladder match... where.... Jericho.... Used... THE OCTOPUS! ...Anyone Else Agree..

Guest DRH 502

They really really need to bring back the old IC title. It looked so fucking cool. Same with the Winged Eagle belt...

They really really need to bring back the old IC title. It looked so fucking cool. Same with the Winged Eagle belt...

100% agreement from my end, DRH. Though it'll never happen because those belts are "linked" with the old days, just like the word "belt". :rolleyes:

Guest Floridian Cool

Orton had a great run with it. I thought that the belt was on the comeback trail until Carlito jobbed it to Flair.

It's bizarre but Carlito was really, really bad when he had the IC title to the point where they jobbed him to Flair. Now that he has improved and actually could be a legit IC champ...they move him out of the division.

Still, it's hard to say the US title has more significance when the longest reigning US champ since the belt was brought back in 2003 has been Orlando Jordan.

Blame Russo in '99 for the destruction of the IC title as it has never recovered since. Benoit, Jericho, and Angle did their best in 2000, but too damage has been done.

yknow even though Vince has forebade it, many references to "belt" were made on RAW, by JR and the highlanders

The IC title was always big to me as a kid, as most of m yfavs held it and had great matches, plus the belt wa steh coolest looking one (untill theyr ruined it in 98), bring back the old belt now.

What about RVD and especially Orton's run with the belt in '03-04? They did a nice job of making the title seem like it meant something then.

I watched an old match last night of Savage-Roberts, both heels, fighting for the IC belt. Ventura and Vince did a great job of hyping how bad both wanted the belt, how it was important. Now in a Carlito match or whoever the champ is-I honestly don't know-you'll get JR and the King talking about DX or the divas. If you dont stress how important it is, the casual fans surely won't get it.

I think Nitro should break out some different colored straps, like white, blue, and yellow. It wouldn't be the same, but it would be nice to see, and it could fit his character's "fashion sense."

Guest Floridian Cool

1. The original Intercontinental looked awesome, and it should have never been changed.

2. If it had to be changed, they should have at least left The Rock's original purple strap alone.

3. The winged eagle v2 (Austin's first reign-Jericho's undisputed reign) also looked awesome, especially when it had the navy blue strap in the very beginning.

4. The basic belt design that they've been using since HHH won the undisputed title from Jericho like complete shit. It doesn't matter if it's The Rock's version or Cena's version, it sucks.

I watched an old match last night of Savage-Roberts, both heels, fighting for the IC belt. Ventura and Vince did a great job of hyping how bad both wanted the belt, how it was important. Now in a Carlito match or whoever the champ is-I honestly don't know-you'll get JR and the King talking about DX or the divas. If you dont stress how important it is, the casual fans surely won't get it.

I couldn't agree more. JBL seems to be the only announcer in the company that really understands this. Either that or he's the only one who just ignores what he's instructed to say.

I agree. Its the fact that he does understand it (and doesnt seem the type to be intimidated by Vince) is why he ignores the current policy.

"Business is down..lets stop putting the wrestlers, belts, and matches over! Actually, dont say 'wrestling' or 'belt' or anybody's names correctly anymore either. Yeah."

What about RVD and especially Orton's run with the belt in '03-04? They did a nice job of making the title seem like it meant something then.

I thought RVD's reigns in 02 were pretty good, but I can say I cared for Orton's. He rarely seemed to focus on the belt while he had hit, and once he really started hitting a stride as champion, they jobbed him out and moved him onto the World Title.

And on that note, one thing that bugs me about how the title's handled these days is that the champion never gets the chance to challenge for the World belt anymore. Back in the day, it wasn't inconceivable for I-C titleholders to challenge for the title (and in some cases win the title), and I think that in itself did a lot to raise the title's image. You'd almost never that now, and in the rare instance the champion is considered for a main event push, they always drop the belt before hand, which is kinda corny.

1. The original Intercontinental looked awesome, and it should have never been changed.

2. If it had to be changed, they should have at least left The Rock's original purple strap alone.

3. The winged eagle v2 (Austin's first reign-Jericho's undisputed reign) also looked awesome, especially when it had the navy blue strap in the very beginning.

4. The basic belt design that they've been using since HHH won the undisputed title from Jericho like complete shit. It doesn't matter if it's The Rock's version or Cena's version, it sucks.

Agreed.

Agreed.

The original IC title didn't look too hot to me, but I assume the well known version (same style as ECW tag titles) is being discussed. That is one of my favourite titles.

WWEclassiccontinentalbelt.jpg

ORIGINAL Intercontinental championship (as best I can tell):

452168.jpg

I remember when the IC title used to actually mean something then WWE made one of the worst decisions ever when they decided to get rid of it for a good 8 months before realizing it was a terrible move, considering all the people on their roster, and brought it back. It hasn't been the same since.

I thought Orton and Benjamin were doing great at restoring credibility to it, but then it went to shit afterwards.

The only thing I didn't like about the old IC title design was the fact that it looked bigger than the actual World Title. I don't know, that alwats bugged me.

I think Foley helped move Edge and Randy up, so that left only Benjamin and Carlito as the entire division which they've been stuck in for over a year now. But even before that it was just guys winning and losing the title. There wasnt any effort in building it up as in the past, with grudge matches, gimmick matches, etc; you dont see blood outside of the main event anymore.

I think Foley helped move Edge and Randy up, so that left only Benjamin and Carlito as the entire division which they've been stuck in for over a year now. But even before that it was just guys winning and losing the title. There wasnt any effort in building it up as in the past, with grudge matches, gimmick matches, etc; you dont see blood outside of the main event anymore.

Nope, as said above, Charli Haas would make a good addition to that division if split with Viscera (for which) I don't see a reason why is not yet done. I'd also demote Rey Mysterio to that level and jump him to RAW, along with Chavo, Matt Hardy, London/Kendrick (or both - when they split) plus Elijah Burke. From RAW I'd use Jeff Hardy, Shelton and maybe Rob Conway. Leave Carlito to the ME, faces, fighting for the title are needed there.