TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Timmy8271

WCW Torch Notes

I saw the Observer Thread and how great it is so i thought i would try to copy with a WCW torch thread. These are not in order sorry.

October 3rd 1998

Nitro Results:

La Parka beats Super Calo at 5:35. The match wasn't focused on as The Announcers talked about Hollywood hogan's challenge to sting and Bret Hart. Calo attacked Parka with a chair after the match

Disciple beat Shark Boy at 1:57. This was the week after Disciple joined the OWN( one warrior Nation)

Scott Steiner(w/ Buff) beat Lenny Lane and Nick Dinsmore at 2:52 with a Double steiner Recliner

Warrior Promo: I can post a transcript later of the interview if you want.

Ernest Miller beat Psychosis at 3:21

Disco Inferno beat Chavo Jr. at 4:36 when Disco hit chavo with Pepe. Juventud tried to make the save but got a piledriver for his problems.

Horsemen interview on Eric Bischoff. Arn anderson get arrested

Jericho Interview on Goldberg

Scott Hall beat Kidman at 5:57

Alex Wright fought British Bulldog to a no contest.

Kevin Nash beat Brian Adams at 2:40

Konnan and Lex Luger beat Barry Darsow and Hugh Morrus when Luger racked Darsow at 2:16

Hollywood Hogan fought Bret Hart to a no contest. Sting runs in. All 3 fight. Hart and Hogan shake hands after the match.

WCW Notebook:

After Nitro went off the air, Nothing happened other than hogan and Bret celebrating their deed together. The Sept. 21 Nitro in Boston at the Fleet Center drew 14,280 paid foor $265,279. During the commercial break of the Flair-Bischoff confrontation, Flair told Bischoff he wanted his job. Fans were upset when Nitro ended that Goldberg didn't appear. He didn't wrestle because WCW didn't want to offend the Jewish Community by having him wrestle on Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New year), even though Goldberg was in town for an autograph session the day before (to which he was 2 hours late). During the Hogan-Disciple Brawl, fans were so upset, they were chanting "Nitro Sucks" and "Boring" Warrior just isn't over at all anywhere right now. It's affecting his confidence level behind the mic, too.

Bret Hart had a Hallmark moment in the Calgary Sun wrestling column this weekend. He wrote "I hope when people look back, the screwjob won't overshadow my accomplishments and that the way I carry myself in the aftermath will serve as an example for anyone to whom life deals a cruel and unjust blow. Get up, dust yourself off, and go on. Look back only to find strength in your experience, but don't dwell on the whys of self-pity. Only the guilty should lose time haunted by the sins of yesterday, not the victims." Bret said if Hogan is upset that Warrior left the WWF before he could get a rematch against him, Hogan should remember he ran out of the WWF after Wrestlemania IX before he (Bret) could have a match against him. Bret appeared on a radio station in Washington D.C. He called Vince Mcmahon a "piece of shit," which aired without being bleeped. He said his movie will prove McMahon screwed him.

Villano IV was diagonsed with a neck sprain after taking the neckbreaker combo move from Raven and Kaynon. Apparently Villano landed on the trap door in the ring, so Warrior indirectly caused another injury in the WCW before even wrestling a match. Even If WCW wanted to try to jumpstart Warrior by having him actually wrestle, they'll have to wait until his torn bicep and injured ankle heal. Add Eddie Guerrero vs Konnan and Kidman vs Juventud Guerrera in a Crusierweight title match, and Bret vs Sting to the line-up for Halloween Havoc. The Laughter over the p.a system during WCW TV shows is apparently going to lead to cross-promotion for the upcoming Child's play movie. Giant is missing house shows claming to have bad ribs. Taped for Oct. 1 thunder: Page beat lodi, Mike Enos fought Jerry Flynn to a no contest when Hall interfered, Kanyon beat Bob Starr, Kidman beat Chavo Jr. to retain his title, Disco beat Damien, Stevie beat Konnan, Goldberg beat Raven with the Jackhammer. Harley Race and The Pitbulls are apparently among the wrestlers under masks in the NBC documentary. Scott Norton captured the IWGP Title on Sept. 23 at Yokohama Arena in Japan. Masa Chono vacated the title the previous weekend due to a herniated disk in his neck. Norton injured his knee later that week and thus didn't wrestle on Nitro as Scheduled.

That's it for this edition. Comments appreciated. Thank you.

Not anything really special here. I can't believe WCW tried to make their own Ultimate Warrior with The Disciple, and then hire Warrior months later. Hiring Warrior was a fucking dumb move too because the era of goofy main eventers was gone, those guys weren't over anymore.

Did The Disciple wrestle against the Shark Boy we know from TNA? That's pretty interesting.

Nick Dinsmore is also in there wrestling with Lenny Lane against Scott Steiner. Thanks for posting these

Not anything really special here. I can't believe WCW tried to make their own Ultimate Warrior with The Disciple, and then hire Warrior months later. Hiring Warrior was a fucking dumb move too because the era of goofy main eventers was gone, those guys weren't over anymore.

Did The Disciple wrestle against the Shark Boy we know from TNA? That's pretty interesting.

Yes, that is the same Shark Boy. There was even a run of WCW Saturday Night episodes where Shark Boy wrestled, and he had his own group of fans in the audience wearing Shark Boy masks ("The Shark Tank").

Not sure what you mean by "making their own Warrior with the Disciple." Disciple turned face after Warrior came to WCW and started the short lived "oWn".

I think Warrior was over in his very first WCW appearance, and that was about it. He was just a complete bomb in WCW. On one hand, I can see why WCW thought the guy would work, since he was still a "name", and Hogan probably pushed to bring him in. On the other, their main event scene was so incredibly loaded already...I mean, for faces alone they had Sting, Savage, Bret Hart, DDP, Goldberg, Roddy Piper (a couple of those may have been nWo at the time, I can't keep track), there really wasn't room for Ultimate Warrior and his shenanigans.

Transcript of The Warrior's promo from the 9/28 Nitro

" Speak to me Warriors." He recieved a good inital pop that turned to boos. "Hogan, I know who you are and I know who I am and these Warriors know what they want to see. Now Hogan, you brought nothing but disapointment. And I tell you Warriors, I sense that disapointment and I tell you (pausing, showing he lost his train of thought), that I have a message for you Hogan.(more boos). And that message goes like this. Since i have returned, you have brought before me except a tenth of the man i once knew. You have (another pause) that Hogan is a disapointment. That Hogan is a lost Warrior, because you have no faced the challenge, the ultimate challenge. The thing that scares you the most when you see me Hogan is you see a small piece of what you used to be. I refuse to make myself less than what I am, until you Hogan find who you need to be. At Halloween Havoc, I will become all alone. And you Hogan will face the challenge, once again, for the second time of you life I want to feel the challenge of the Warriors.

Keller's comments: "This has to rank up there as one of the worst interviews ever. Why are they having a guy who is known for bein a terrible interview do nothing other than talk? Hasn't it dawned on anyone in WCW that he needs to squash people, no speak, in order to keep any heat?"

I remember the injury that Villano IV had, it was a nasty one. Kaynon/Raven were a cool team, and another injury thanks to the Warrior's trap door.

Yeah, that trap door injured a lot of people. Davey Boy Smith, Alex Wright, and Villano IV come to mind. Anyone else?

Guest cacheton

I remember the injury that Villano IV had, it was a nasty one. Kaynon/Raven were a cool team, and another injury thanks to the Warrior's trap door.

Yeah, that trap door injured a lot of people. Davey Boy Smith, Alex Wright, and Villano IV come to mind. Anyone else?

It wiped out Ultimo for a few years.

If this is what the Torch puts out it's nothing compared to Meltzer's newsletter. This whole thing just seemed like Nitro results and Warrior bashing, not much else.

If this is what the Torch puts out it's nothing compared to Meltzer's newsletter. This whole thing just seemed like Nitro results and Warrior bashing, not much else.

Is the Meltzer on WCW thread still floating out there somewhere on DVDVR?

Also, Shark Boy went unmasked as Dean Roll on WCNSN, no? (also remember him from that MTV special that gave us the phenom that was Rapid Delivery)

"The 12/18 Nitro was supposed to practically be built around Rick Steiner as the surprise guy, but he wasn't there because they forgot to tell him" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 01, 2001

Ya that wasn't the best thing about WCW. The Torch really sucks compared to the Observer reading these. I'll post another one. If you don't like it, I'll stop posting them.

September 26th, 1998

The Main WCW story is The Disciple turning on Hulk Hogan at Fall Brawl. This was the first WCW PPV Warrior appeared on. It was a huge disapointment with a buyrate Half of Summerslam. In fact it was one of the lowest Buyrates of the year. The Monday September 21st Nitro lost to Raw 4.0 to 3.7 in the ratings. The Highest rated segment was Flair's return while the Lowest was a Buff Bagwell/Scott Steiner interview which did a 3.3.

The Last 10 weeks, Nitro won five weeks, Raw won four weeks and on tie. Nitro's big angle is the bizarre, homoerotic angle where Warrior kidnapped The Disciple, hung him upside down, Laid him flat on his stomach in the ring and conviced him to leave Hollywood Hogan's side and join him. Yes that's a true story.

In other news, On Friday, September 18th, Tickets for the October 19th Nitro at the Target Center in Minneapolis sold out in one hour and 15 minutes.

In response to Mike Mooneyham's Pro Ric flair column in the Charleston Post and Courier, Eric Bischoff responded on a Baltimore Radio station with the following:

"Mike Mooneyham is a mark for Ric Flair and doesn't know the whole story. He doesn't know the fact that Ric flair agreed that any time Ric Flair ever wanted any time off that request would come in writing so that we would have the opportunity to schedule his time off accordingly. His agents are being deposed next week and will testify to that. Ric Flair took time off that he never asked for, that he wasn't scheduled for, and put WCW in a bind. I had to make a decision. I had to draw the line and say, 'Okay, am i going to let Ric Flair get away with this so that the 130 people that I have under contract realize that any time they don't want to show up for a show they can just basically stick it to WCW and no-show? Or do I draw a line and make people realize that there's policies, there's procedures, there's agreements, and this is a business and we have to act professionally and responsibly, and i drew the line on Ric Flair because Ric Flair, in my opinion and according to his agreement and the agreement that we had whith his agents, acted unprofessionally and irresponsibly and I had to draw the line and it's unfortunate because Ric is, was, a big-name talent and he's a guy who could have continued to contribute, but unfortunately, we're just not seeing eye-to-eye with regard to that subject,"

Nitro for 9/21

Started with the Warrior Angle as mentioned

1.Fit Finlay pinned Barry Darsow at 3:45.

2.Wrath pinned Nick Dinsmore at 2:10

3.Rick Steiner pinned Rick Fuller at 55 seconds( Rick cut a promo on Scott and Buff Bagwell, Chucky's laughter was played over the PA)

More of the Warrior Angle

4.Raven /Kanyon fought Los Villanos to a no contest. This was the match where Villano 4 got injured.

5. DDP pinned Alex wright at 1:25 with the Diamond Cutter. Wright cut a Heel promo and challenged DDP

6. Ernest Miller pinned Lenny Lane at 2:46

7. Saturn beat Jerry Flynn at 6:06 with a splash through a table at ringside.

8. Kidman beat Disco Inferno at 10:42 to retain the Crusierweight title.

9.Konnan beat Chavo Guerrero Jr. at 10:48 with the Tequila Sunrise.

10. Kevin Nash and Lex Luger beat Stevie Ray and Giant via Countout. Drunk Scott hall came out at 3:10 and Stevie Ray left in disgust

More Later.

"Mike Mooneyham is a mark for Ric Flair and doesn't know the whole story. He doesn't know the fact that Ric flair agreed that any time Ric Flair ever wanted any time off that request would come in writing so that we would have the opportunity to schedule his time off accordingly. His agents are being deposed next week and will testify to that. Ric Flair took time off that he never asked for, that he wasn't scheduled for, and put WCW in a bind. I had to make a decision. I had to draw the line and say, 'Okay, am i going to let Ric Flair get away with this so that the 130 people that I have under contract realize that any time they don't want to show up for a show they can just basically stick it to WCW and no-show? Or do I draw a line and make people realize that there's policies, there's procedures, there's agreements, and this is a business and we have to act professionally and responsibly, and i drew the line on Ric Flair because Ric Flair, in my opinion and according to his agreement and the agreement that we had whith his agents, acted unprofessionally and irresponsibly and I had to draw the line and it's unfortunate because Ric is, was, a big-name talent and he's a guy who could have continued to contribute, but unfortunately, we're just not seeing eye-to-eye with regard to that subject,"

But of course, when Hall and Nash no-showed, it was GREAT! Dick. Not that I don't love the Bisch. But still, for this quote: Dick.

The one thing I miss about Nitro was that there would always be a ton of matches...and at least a couple would be pretty good. Now we're lucky to see more than four actual wrestling matches on Mondays...and rarely is even one any good.

More from the 9/26/98 Torch

WCW Notebook:

"Ric Flair is included on the Charlotte Observer panel who make NFL pics. The rest are writers for the newspaper. He along with the other four on the panel, picked the Carolina Panthers to beat the New Orleans Saints last Sunday. Oops... The reason Ernest Miller has gotten a push lately may be to set up a mainstream celebrity angle with Jackie Chan. New WCW rule: Whenever someone gets too much of a push, it's probably done to set up a celebrity angle. In a two-page advertisment in Multichannel News, WCW touted the strength of Nitro's ratings recent success with young male demographics. What photo did they use in the ad? That of Mr. J.L(Jerry Lynn) flying through the air. Way to use WCW's star power to capture attention of potential advertisers. Perhaps just as bizarre is PETA's Animal Times magazine that included a photo of Hulk Hogan in his red and yellow babyface persona, saying "Wrestler Hulk Hogan is no wimp when it comes to taking on companies that still conduct cruel animal tests. Hulk Hogan faces tough opponents in the ring, but he won't pick on anyone unless they're his own size. That's why he is angry that some companies still conduct cruel, painful tests on defenseless animals."... Quick statistic: In July, WCW held 19 live events, sold out 11, and sold a total of 4.25 million tickets. A recent issue of Mary Beth's Beanie Baby Weekly features a photo of Booker T hold up several Beanie Babies. The caption reads: "Famous Wrestler has a grasp on collecting. WCW star Booker T posed with a few of his beanie friends at a Collector's show hosted by Tri-State Productions"

In Bret Hart's column in the Sept. 19 Calgary Sun, he wrote: "In the nine months since I've been in WCW there isn't a day that's gone by when people- both fans and wrestlers- haven't asked me when I'm re-forming the Hart Foundation. With Brian Pillman in a happier place than where Owen is, I have two big spots to fill. Remember, the Hart Foundation works in mysterious ways." From the "Did I say that? Dept", the week before he wrote in his column: "Now that you've seen the WWF (who ran a house show in Calgary the night before), I think you should watch the WCW Pay-Per-View tomorrow so you can compare the two and see for yourself why I'm happy to be in WCW". In the Bret Hart documentary, he says: "It's so hard to find a hero. I loved to be a hero all over the world. In India, to the kids, I was like a god to them. I'd just as soon blow my brains out (than lose to HBK). This is far more real than people think. HBK think's he's better than everybody else. There's something very arrogant and obnoxious , something very unlikable about him. Your kids are pretty safe if they're watching me on Sturday morning. I'm pretty wholesome." He also says: "Hunter's a character the fans are always going to hate."

Goldberg got some publicity after taking batting practice at Cincinnati Reds game because he batted left-handed even though he is right-handed because he is blind in his left eye. Warrior suffered a bicep injury and twisted his ankle during the angle at the end of WarGames where he broke through the side of the cage. Halloween Havoc features Hall vs Nash, Goldberg vs Page, Warrior vs Hogan, Rick vs Scott. WCW has tentative plans to shift the title from Goldberg to Nash or from Goldberg to Hogan to Nash within the next 6 months. WCW didn't air the match taped for last week's thunder where Raven beat Kidman because they felt it was a bad idea to have Kidman lose so soon after winning the crusierweight title. Kensuke Sasaki and Yuji Nagata won the New Japan tournament to earn a WCW tag title shot. Surgery apparently went very well for Duggan who says he is considering wrestling again, but doesn't want to risk injuring his remaining kidney. Rey Misterio Jr. may be added to NWO Wolfpac when he returns from his recent knee surgery. He is real life friends with Nash and Konnan.

That's it for now.

"The reason Ernest Miller has gotten a push lately may be to set up a mainstream celebrity angle with Jackie Chan."

Is this how the James Brown appearance came about?

Goldberg got some publicity after taking batting practice at Cincinnati Reds game because he batted left-handed even though he is right-handed because he is blind in his left eye.
Is he really blind in the left eye?

"The reason Ernest Miller has gotten a push lately may be to set up a mainstream celebrity angle with Jackie Chan."

Is this how the James Brown appearance came about?

That and he's a friend of Eric Bischoff.

Is he really blind in the left eye?

Have no clue.