TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
USC Wuz Robbed!

Gambling talk in the sports threads

I think it's getting out of hand here. There's a certain few *cough* Iggymcfly*cough* that always likes to bring up that he's gambling on games, and he always goes off in threads about shit like "Damn, ISU let Toledo score first, so I miss out my miracle push, now I'm at 3-1". It's ridiculous. Why should anyone else care if his bank account fluctuate by the grand every hour, every minute, every second, with all his gambling? I'm not expecting him to get banned or anything, because he hasn't broken any rules, but can something be done to kinda put a lid on him with that shit?

Guest Vitamin X
If I buy it, it will only be because I play poker for a living, win and lose thousands of dollars in a day, and don't give a flying fuck about money.

Jesus. I already said I was completely wasted the night I was posting all that crap immediately after a good win, and that was the only reason for it. I even apologized the next day. Get off it already.

If it really bothers you that I make a passing mention of the spread in the ISU game, then I guess that's your problem, not mine. I went back and looked at the college football thread for this week, and of the 15 posts I made there, that was the only one that mentioned gambling.

I never claimed to be getting rich or anything either. I'm up about 30K total the last four months since I started treating poker as a job. My sports betting's mostly recreational, just as something to enjoy the games more, and make a little bit of money on something I know pretty well.

Yes you do, you do that crap all the time. As long as I've noticed what you were posting (since the first college football season I was here), you've made something of a big deal out of how well you were or weren't doing. In the Sports folder, you can virtually guarantee that half of all Iggy posts are going to read like some sports gambling expert and the other half are going to be defending whenever such thinking is absurd (most recently that I've seen, GT definitely beating ND this past Saturday). Wait, I'm sorry, say both are 49.5% of your posts and the final 1% is "I lost (dollar amount) on (team/game) but made (dollar amount) off of (other team/game)" or something to that effect. These days they're peppered with news of offsetting losses with gains from your card playing adventures.

We get it, Mr. High Roller Wheeler Dealer McInsecurealot.

I'm way less annoyed by this than by every single event of the pro football season being analyzed in terms of what it does to people's stupid fantasy teams. I don't give a flying fuck what a player's season-ending injury means for fantasy football. I care about what it means for real football.

This is site feedback, not the place to argue your differences. I would say to use the "ignore this users" post if the majority are just about his gambling problems.

The Georgia Tech shit's because they're my favorite team. That's pretty simple. It's not because I thought the bet against Notre Dame was such a great value or something, I was just getting pumped up for my favorite team playing their biggest showcase game in a couple years.

Actually, most of my posts in the college football threads are usually just analyzing how good the teams look, where they should be ranked, and who has the best chance of winning the national title. That sort of thing.

If 90% of my posts are good objective analysis, 9.5% are blatant homerism when my favorite NBA team's in the Finals or my favorite college team is opening at home against the #2 team in the country, and 0.5% are sports betting results, I think that's pretty reasonable.

Oh, and unless the "first college football season you where here" was last year, then you didn't notice me talking about bets, because I wasn't even doing it then. The first sports bet I ever made was when GT was facing UConn in the championship, and I didn't have a regular account until last fall.

I was attending classes at Washington State last year, so I was rooting for them, yeah. I've liked Ga. Tech since I was a little kid though, and now that I'm not going to WSU, i don't really feel any connection to their football program anymore.