TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

Are we still talking about the Walk Score or did I miss out?

Well anyway, I got a 45. I credit that to the redneck bar that is thirty yards away from my house.

I think I know that guy. Well, maybe not, "Josh Moore" isn't exactly a rare name, but the one I knew sure loved him some reefer and was totally goofy enough to do something like this.

I knew a "Josh Moore" who managed a Dog N' Suds where I used to work. He had a '13' tattooed on the back of his neck... so yeah... common weird stuff.

According to this website, the average price of gas per gallon in January 2001 was 1.52.

I remember that, and I remember the next spring, when I started driving, it was 1.32. This out-of-controlness started in the spring of '05. I remember routinely filling up with PREMIUM for 1.55-1.65 in the fall of '03. That was a bottom of the barrel station, but still.

Guest I swallowed a Q-Tip.

Maybe nobody should drive because nobody's good at driving. Think of all the stereotypes we've heard: young people can't drive, old people can't drive, women can't drive, black people can't drive, Jews can't drive, Asians can't drive, Indians can't drive, Hispanics can't drive. Evidently, the only people who can capably operate a vehicle are white males from 25 to 50. Ever heard someone say those fuckin' dotheads can't pedal? If all these groups switched to alternative modes of transit, we'd eradicate vehicular racism and bigotry, reduce congestion, as well as get rid of the actual bad Asian drivers! Bikes 4 life.

I was reading a website article that was suggesting things people could do now to prepare for $7 a gallon gas in as little as 2 years.

Honestly, if gas hits $7 a gallon you'll have bigger issues than the cost to fill up your tank. For some people Id be worried if I still would have a job at that point..

How fucking ridiculous is it that we've built ourselves as a nation so fucking DEPENDANT on one fucking resource that is neither food nor water that Marvin is practically right that our entire landscape would shift if gas hit $7 a gallon.

Guest Vitamin X

It said anywhere from 7-10 dollars, not just 7. This comes from an economist that predicted we would hit $4/gallon sometime in 2008, around five years ago or so. If lightning strikes twice...

Maybe nobody should drive because nobody's good at driving. Think of all the stereotypes we've heard: young people can't drive, old people can't drive, women can't drive, black people can't drive, Jews can't drive, Asians can't drive, Indians can't drive, Hispanics can't drive. Evidently, the only people who can capably operate a vehicle are white males from 25 to 50. Ever heard someone say those fuckin' dotheads can't pedal? If all these groups switched to alternative modes of transit, we'd eradicate vehicular racism and bigotry, reduce congestion, as well as get rid of the actual bad Asian drivers! Bikes 4 life.

Rednecks are awful at driving, hell any white male age 25-40 who's either a. driving any sort of large vehicle or b. pretending they're in Fast and the Furious, and riding those little rice rockets around town.

If gas hits 10 a gallon our entire economy will collapse, if you look at the big picture. The cost of everything would inflate beyond comprehension, as trucks and planes would still need to fill up in order to ship products to stores. Gas prices at the pump will be the least of your worries, food would double in price, basically all products would double in price. Honestly, at some point the govt. would have to step in and regulate gas prices or risk losing the country.

Think about going from 1.35 in 2003 to 10.00 in 2010. If that happens this country is in serious trouble. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, part of me hopes things become like the Wild West again (the clint eastwood, not Will Smith version)

Um...if gas gets a little beyond 4 dollars a gallon, congress will step in because election years are when shit gets done to "help" the people or get re-elected. But, if gas gets any higher prices for all goods will double and shit hits the fan.

I just wish one of two things happen. taxes are cut on gas, or we hit up Russia at 30/40 dollars a barrel with a long term contract that cuts out the middle east.

Everyone go out and buy Civic Hybrids, already. Not only will you get an excellent vehicle, save some money by getting 40 mpg, but you'll also get a $2100 credit on your taxes. (The tax write-off for the Toyota Prius is lower.) I bought one last November and it is simply the finest car I've ever owned.

two problems with what you said on hybrids:

1: As more people buy them the tax credit lowers.

2: any maintenance on the vehicle is doubled because of that high powered, always live, NiMH battery. Standard shop tools do not work and one could easily be killed by hitting a wire.

Everyone go out and buy Civic Hybrids, already. Not only will you get an excellent vehicle, save some money by getting 40 mpg, but you'll also get a $2100 credit on your taxes. (The tax write-off for the Toyota Prius is lower.) I bought one last November and it is simply the finest car I've ever owned.

Save some money and buy a regular car that gets 35mpg like my Yaris. I only paid $12,000 for it.

two problems with what you said on hybrids:

1: As more people buy them the tax credit lowers.

2: any maintenance on the vehicle is doubled because of that high powered, always live, NiMH battery. Standard shop tools do not work and one could easily be killed by hitting a wire.

1) I didn't realize my endorsement would create such a wave of people running out and buying hybrids that the tax write-off would get eliminated.

2) Even with an extended warranty, the Civic Hybrid still costs less than the gas-guzzlers Americans are in love with. Plus, since it's a Honda, it'll breakdown and last longer than your average car. But, hey, I can't argue with IF YOU DRIVE A HYBRID YOU ARE GOING TO DIE argument.

The Civics are cheap cause they are ugly, but I had not yet seen a Honda Insight before in person until last week and I would bet you could get an even better deal on those..

Is there NO topic that you're not willing to say something completely ignorant about?

The Civics are cheap cause they are ugly, but I had not yet seen a Honda Insight before in person until last week and I would bet you could get an even better deal on those..

Is there NO topic that you're not willing to say something completely ignorant about?

What? The insights are horrible looking and didnt sell at all. If you could find one I bet you could get a better deal on it than the Civic and the Inisght gets like 60 mpg.

2006_Honda_Insight_ext_1.jpg

I looked it up, you can get a 2001 for $5,000 and Honda still is obligated to pay battery replacement up to 150,000 miles, and new battery packs cost $300

What? The insights are horrible looking and didnt sell at all. If you could find one I bet you could get a better deal on it than the Civic and the Inisght gets like 60 mpg.

I looked it up, you can get a 2001 for $5,000 and Honda still is obligated to pay battery replacement up to 150,000 miles, and new battery packs cost $300

So...Civics are cheap because Insights are ugly? HUH?

Because I was talking about Civics. I never mentioned Insights.

Are you even aware you suddenly switched from talking about Civics to talking about Insights?

Hey, I looked into it...Civics are some of the best selling vehicles in America (7th best in 2006, 10th best in 2007), and look EXACTLY like the Civic Hybrid.

Are you even aware you suddenly switched from talking about Civics to talking about Insights?

He'll do this. Find a thread a couple months back when he and I were going back & forth regarding Social Security.

The Honda Civics are cheaper than the Toyota Prius because they look exactly like the regular Civic which arent that great to look at in their own right. People who buy hybrids want people to know that they're driving a hybrid because its a status symbol and unless you're riding right up on the bumper of a Hybrid Civic you cant tell whether its a hybrid or not. Of course, Im contradicting myself with that on the Insight but it was also only a 2 seater so it was very impractical for most people, and that was probably the bigger downfall for it than the fact its one ugly looking car.

The Honda Civics are cheaper than the Toyota Prius because they look exactly like the regular Civic which arent that great to look at in their own right.

Thank you for explaining to me that car price is determined by the all-important relative attractiveness of the vehicle, and not based on arbitrary things like size, reliability, demand, horsepower, features, or type of engine and transmission.

UGLY!

And also not a Civic.

800px-06-07_honda_civic_lx_sedan.jpg

The Honda Civic.

Which, coincidentally, looks more like a $30,000 Acura CSX than a $20,000 Honda Insight.

Don't believe me? Compare for yourself...

800px-06-07_honda_civic_lx_sedan.jpg

$20,000 Honda Civic

2007-civic-hybrid.jpg

$23,000 Honda Civic Hybrid

2008-honda-civic-mugen-si-1.jpg

$26,000 Honda Civic SI

acura_csx.jpg

$30,000 Acura CSX