TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

I think the amount of hurricanes blowing around the Gulf could be responsible for that.

The hurricanes in the gulf caused gas prices to raise in Huntington, WV? The national average continued to go down. The fact that the hurricanes weren't as bad as they had been feared made oil drop 2 1/2% that day. For what it is worth, gas dropped back down 6-11 cents over town today.

We have a huge oil refinery about 5-10 miles from our town. I was told by someone that works there that gas prices are actually higher in the area due to the refinery being so close. You would think it would be the opposite, but his reasoning made sense. He claims that (oil companies') refineries drop prices in the outer stretches of their territories to compete with refineries that overlap those territories. There is no competition right next to the refinery, so they can set the price higher for the gas stations in the immediate area.

I'm sure we all realize that it doesn't matter in particular WHERE we buy our oil from...

Since there's such demand for the stuff, even if we were to ONLY buy the oil from the Canadians, Mexicans, etc. we influence the global price of the stuff, thus continuing to line the coffers of the Middle East, even if only the Chinese buy their oil.

It really doesn't matter where our oil comes from. It *can't* come from here.

Price right now is 3.29 a gallon, but I don't know how much will be left after tonight. Everyone is filling up and not giving a damn how much. Some of my friends with raised pick ups are laughing right now because of their 36 inch clearance for water. Some of my friends in hybrids are shitting a brick because of the fact that floods in the area and their cars are too low. Me, I am glad I kept my Jeep and as long as it isn't massive flooding I will be okay.

Ike is coming to beat Houston like we're Tina.

BTW: Oil Tycoon T. Boon Pickens is heavy pushing and building wind farms to get more of Texas off of oil. His plan has this country fossil independent by using more wind. Best part is that HE is putting his money where his mouth is. If you want to see more stuff built, build it your damn self. So far he has spend 500 million dollars out of pocket to build a new wind plant for the Panhandle section of Texas. He also plans a solar factory in AZ to get more renewable energy in the Southern and Western parts of the country.

His is a slightly odd plan in that for all practical intents and purposes, oil and electricity are practically un-related. You can't burn less oil by using wind power.

Pickins is saying we use wind power to power our homes and then use natural gas we're using to power our homes and use it to fuel our cars.

How many cars run off methane right now, or fuels derived from methane?

I'm all for building new power plants of the wind and solar variety. But his plan is just odd. Just like you can't drill your way out of the gas crunch, you can't windmill your way out either.

There was an article in BusinessWeek a few months back that talked a little about his wind farms. The main point of the article talked about how much money he was putting into buying water. He is buying millions of tons of water in Texas.

Strange behaviour.

Water will become scarcer in the future due to Global Warming, but doubtfully (HOPEFULLY) not in this guy's lifetime...

I'm all for building new power plants of the wind and solar variety. But his plan is just odd. Just like you can't drill your way out of the gas crunch, you can't windmill your way out either.

Eric, check out the Charlie Rose interview with Brian Schweitzer where he goes over energy. Jump to 9 minutes in:

See, this is part of why I wanted this guy as Obama's VP. That, and because I wanted to see GOP heads explode when they found out Obama's VP choice knows Arabic.

Strange behaviour.

Water will become scarcer in the future due to Global Warming, but doubtfully (HOPEFULLY) not in this guy's lifetime...

There Will Be Water

Edit---Here is the article in question. My original post was thinking that it wasn't about the water being scarce, but after re-reading it, I was wrong.

Eric, check out the Charlie Rose interview with Brian Schweitzer where he goes over energy. Jump to 9 minutes in:

See, this is part of why I wanted this guy as Obama's VP. That, and because I wanted to see GOP heads explode when they found out Obama's VP choice knows Arabic.

I mean, obviously I'm going to disagree with a lot of what he's saying here.

First of all, absolutely the onus is on the power companies, mining companies, and those that represent them and advocate for them to prove beyond reasonable doubt that "clean coal" plants are feasable. Do you have any idea the sheer magnitude of CO2 that would have to be sequestered every day to keep our energy clean? And CO2 doesn't want to stay put, stay underground. It wants to leak out, and if it does, the best case scenario would be global warming. CO2 venting in large amounts can suffocate an area, its happened before.

And he wants to turn coal into fuel. Fischer-Tropsch, CTL, etc. If only he would be honest about the sheer amound of waste generated to turn coal to liquid fuel. The gross amount of water needed for the process. Then, when we have the fuel for our cars, there's still carbon being emitted into the atmosphere at that burn point.

These "solutions" are vying for the same "energy progress dollar" that wind power, conservation, and energy grid overhall is looking for, and it is really sad. One is progress, one is stagnation.

Alternative_Fuels_Fact_Sheet_2.pdf

Clean_Coal_Fact_Sheet_1.pdf

Clean_Coal_Fact_Sheet_2.pdf

$4.05-$4.15. Ike didn't cause nearly the damage that was projected, and oil is at a 7 month low. However, we are 50 cents higher than last week. The refinery we have here is owned by Marathon, though, and they are based out of Houston. I spoke with a couple of execs from Marathon's headquarters today for work-related reasons, and I was tempted to ask them questions about when I could expect prices at the Ashland refinery to go back down.

Doesn't it make you insane to not be mobile at any given time? I cannot fathom life without a vehicle.

Waiting on buses and trains and shit..lord.

Exactly the reason I bought a bike. Greatest purchase I have ever made, bar none. Well, that and my guitar. Waiting for trains to go to the city sucks, but I'm glad they exist, they're very efficient.

And $3.89 is the cheapest I've seen around here. So it's going down.

Okay now it's below $91. This is kind of scary.

The the price is dropping like a rock indicates to me that people in the know are predicting a maa-ah-ah-assive drop in demand, aka a recession or depression...

Saudis left OPEC, that has a large part to do with it.

The Saudis leaving OPEC is kind of like the US leaving NATO, and since they have all the resources they got tired of everyone else in OPEC limiting their production to put the screws to the rest of the world.

I posted it a looong time ago in this thread, but gaspricewatch.com is much better IMO. I plan stops on long trips by following my route on the map.

Bullshit around here tonight (Aiken County, SC). Gas goes anywhere from $3.99 - $5.39, depending on which station's owners are greediest. I drove around for about an hour trying to get gas at 11:00 tonight. Any stations I came across that were open were out of gas, and any that still had it were closed. I finally said Hell with it, and filled up for $4.07 a gallon at my final stop. Still a load of crap.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Heard on the radio this morning that a gas station up around Waterloo ran out of gas, and to discourage people from stopping only to find out the station's dry, the owners posted a price of $5.99.

Ontario Gas Prices is a good site.

Sometimes we have some of the lowest prices in the province, other times it's 6 or 7 cents cheaper if you drive an hour to either Kingston or the Ottawa area (like today). I got it for 119.9 in Kingston today, and most places in Brockville today are at least a few cents more.