TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

$3.19.

Thanks, national economic crisis!

Donald Trump supposedly said that he thinks that if we dont do anything about the financial crisis that the price of oil will collapse.

Donald Trump apparently passed his Econ 101 class.

2.90 a gallon near by here in Houston. 90 cents to go before it hits reasonable. BTW: Last year when gas was selling at 80 dollars a barrel, gas was 2.59 a gallon. Why hasn't the drop matched the increase?

Someone educate me a little. I was under the impression that Ethanol was a good thing. However, lately I have seen several gas stations around here that advertise with these huge-ass banners that they only sell Non-Ethanol fuel. If Ethanol is a good thing to add to fuel, why brag that you sell fuel that is Ethanol-Free? Turn my ignorance into understanding. :D

Someone educate me a little. I was under the impression that Ethanol was a good thing. However, lately I have seen several gas stations around here that advertise with these huge-ass banners that they only sell Non-Ethanol fuel. If Ethanol is a good thing to add to fuel, why brag that you sell fuel that is Ethanol-Free? Turn my ignorance into understanding. :D

Truthful answer is that Ethanol(e10) is both helpful and harmful to some parts of cars.....

Pros:

--Ethanol has more oxygen per chain than standard gas. So it is like running 89(plus) off of 87(regular) gas.

--It bonds with air better for a more full spark. Making more power. More power=more speed.

--It can be made off of renewable resources so it lesses the amount of crude needed for cars.

--One tank full of e10 to e85 would clean out most injectors without needing extra "treatments" and "car cleaning chemicals".

--Full tanks of e10 trap moisture better so that they don't freeze quickly up in the north.

Cons:

--Most cars are built not to run off e10 so they burn richer(meaning more gas in the air/fuel ratio that is at the core of MPGs).

--Fuel filters died quick painful deaths due to the e10 trapping crap into them. Needing a replacement. However, after 2 tankfuls, and a filter replacement, that problem goes away.

--Older lead base cars run crappier off of e10+ because they are tuned to use less oxygen in their spark.

--Spark plugs run shorter life spans to the range of 2K to 10K miles less.

--E10 not used in 20 to 30 days will release its moisture content and rust the hell out of any metal part and break down gas to a sludge that will kill fuel pumps, carbs, injectors, plugs.

One more thing to point out, e10 is mostly sold only in big cities with different gas laws than small towns. So Houston, LA, and the entire state of Connecticut would sell it. And places like Victoria TX, Jackson MS, and the entire state of Montana would not.

And Ethanol is a giant boondoggle with few if any environmental benefits.

But I dunno if that's why they're flying the signs...

I've never had problems with ethanol ever...ever.

A little kid walked up to me and asked if it was okay to make alternative fuels out of vegetables

...and if anyone other than kkk remembers what I'm talking about, I'll be fuckin surprised

Guest Vitamin X
I'd probably destroy a bicycle with one of those... you elitist douches just right out piss me off.

Haha, people who don't have cars are elitists? I mean, I'll take douche, but elitist is kind of wrong there.

Guest Smues
I've never had problems with ethanol ever...ever.

A little kid walked up to me and asked if it was okay to make alternative fuels out of vegetables

...and if anyone other than kkk remembers what I'm talking about, I'll be fuckin surprised

I do, but only because kkk used that reference so many times I asked him what it was.

Guest Smues
I'd probably destroy a bicycle with one of those... you elitist douches just right out piss me off.

Haha, people who don't have cars are elitists? I mean, I'll take douche, but elitist is kind of wrong there.

I'm guessing that it isn't the not having car part, but the gas price sticker part. I don't think people who ride bikes are elistists, I think the ones that tell me how great they are for not driving are elistists.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm guessing that it isn't the not having car part, but the gas price sticker part. I don't think people who ride bikes are elistists, I think the ones that tell me how great they are for not driving are elistists.

Maybe smug, but I don't think elitist is the right word there still. There's nothing elite about riding in freezing cold rain to work back and forth and dealing with asshole drivers for at least half the year, then having to deal with people whining about gas prices all over the place AND bicyclists when we're the guys (and sometimes gals) who, by not driving, are helping lower the demand for gas, and hopefully the prices as well.

Bicyclist, hybrid drivers, and new "MPG" gurus are people with some of the highest level of smug out there. Its one thing to bike because you like to for health/cost saving measures. And its another thing to drive hybrids and other high mpg rides because you want to save money. But do NOT try and act like you are above everyone for trying to lower the demand that has no real relation to how many drivers are in a given area. Since prices of demand are pure speculative and wild guesses to be honest.

Hell my V8 Grand Cherokee gets better MPGs then most truck model hybrids. And just because it gets 35 to 45 MPGs doesn't make it a good car. The Yaris may be great fuel economy but I will take an Avalon any day of the week.

And I would personally bike to work, but there are no sidewalks where I live. And 98 degree days with 95% humidity for months on end just is not smart to do and then work 8 or more hours.

I plan on stockpiling some gas right before the election since the price of gas is going to go right back up after the election, especially since they're going to reban offshore drilling in Congress.

Enjoy it while ya can!

Guest Vitamin X
Bicyclist, hybrid drivers, and new "MPG" gurus are people with some of the highest level of smug out there. Its one thing to bike because you like to for health/cost saving measures. And its another thing to drive hybrids and other high mpg rides because you want to save money. But do NOT try and act like you are above everyone for trying to lower the demand that has no real relation to how many drivers are in a given area. Since prices of demand are pure speculative and wild guesses to be honest.

I don't think I'm trying to act like I'm above anyone; if I'm not wasting gas for something that I don't need to, then hey, awesome. For all the bike commuter friendliness that there is in places like where I live, or in New York and some parts of California, there's still a lot of people who drive and waste gas when it's not necessary. It's even more insane when people scoff at the idea that a bike's not a viable means of transportation; it's certainly no worse than riding a motorcycle, with the added benefit of not wasting money on insurance and gas. I was going to mention licenses, but a lot of car drivers seem to have an issue with people who ride on the road but aren't licensed in some form, and also there are some states like Wisconsin which still do require a license to bike. That's a whole other topic though. Point is, it may be seem smug, but we're still reducing congestion. One less car on the road and all that. Also, reducing demand actually does have a bit of an impact as well, although not a lot but it's something.

And I would personally bike to work, but there are no sidewalks where I live. And 98 degree days with 95% humidity for months on end just is not smart to do and then work 8 or more hours.

Yeah, that's certainly kind of a bitch. No one rides on the sidewalk here since a. it's illegal to do so in downtown and b. there's a lot of places to ride on the road. Plus, we have the added benefit of not being in Texas, and I say that not because of the weather but because of the awful drivers who love running people off the road. Arguably those 98 degree days with 95% humidity are pretty bad, but we deal with riding in 35 degree freezing rain from November-March, and slightly warmer rain outside of the summer months as well.

That said, I am considering getting a car, but nothing too expensive.. just something I can take to go out of town and haul video equipment in, not to mention haul around a group of friends, which, unless everyone you know rides a bike and never eats (I get massive migraines if I eat well and ride immediately after), is not really all that feasible. But commuting to and from work or school or to hit up a coffeeshop or a movie and whatnot, it's great.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I've quit bitching about gas prices now that I have my truck paid off. No matter how expensive gas gets, it won't be as much per month as a car payment.