TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

Guest Vitamin X
It did a bump of +30 cents in the worst parts of town, to a drop within days of the storm. It was 6 day period. The price started dropping in August, and still dropping durring the storm. Only two stations rose higher, and those places the owner admitting to gauging the prices of gas.

I don't know how it is locally for you, obviously, but the nationwide trend is that gas prices didn't change much, except for the recent drop. Here's an article you might be interested in. Whether the claim is legitimate or not, the oil companies or rather the guys who running the offshore rigs, claim that the spike in gas prices came from offsetting the damages sustained during hurricane season.

Also, experts are warning not to get too used to dropping gas prices now.

MX that is incorrect.

By all accounts the gas started going down due to reduced demand due to $4 gas followed by the recession approaching.

No one anticipated the drop in demand going along with such a recession.

Certainly I was saying I didn't anticipate increasing supply enough to bring the price down below $2.

But when the market is fairly sure that people will be financially unable to afford $3 gas, there's no reason to get all excited, Marvin.

In the low $2's elsewhere? Damn we're still at $3.45. Alaska is so behind the times.

You'd think you guys would get a big discount, since so much of it is coming out of your land and all.

In the low $2's elsewhere? Damn we're still at $3.45. Alaska is so behind the times.

You'd think you guys would get a big discount, since so much of it is coming out of your land and all.

"Drill baby, drill."

$7.25 in Kotzebue, wherever the fuck that is. Obviously an out of the way area, but FUCK.

www.alaskagasprices.com

Guest Smues

Don't bother looking at ANY place in this state not ont he road system. The villages (Kotzebue is a city I guess, but its really just a big village) have to buy their fuel in bulk in the summer, because the waters they barge it in in in the summer freeze in the winter. So they buy ALL of their fuel for the year during the summer, and guess when oil peaked this year? So they're FUCKED until next spring. Kotzebue won't even be the priciest, because it's a fairly big village/small city, that's a hub city for allt he village nearby. Those villages will have higher priced gas.

Oh and Kotzebue is way up north, and west I guess. It's north of Nome, and I believe just above the artic circle. I get to go there every March:(

My biggest problem has been that there is no difference between gas on 06/21/2008 and gas 10/21/2008 except now its so much fucking cheaper with the demand not changing of any major note.

Gas prices are lowering because of expectations of lower demand due to the international financial crisis. I thought this was common knowledge.

There seems to be a dartboard of bullshit excuses for why it goes up and down. I am just going to use Houston as my example because thats all I can talk about with any knowledge.

Prices go up:

a: international demand has risen, (yet everyone was buying at same pace, price almost doubles).

b: there might be a shortage in 5 years. (yet everyone is buying at same pace, price almost doubles).

c: Cost of production went up(yet profits for EVERY major and minor oil company goes through the roof).

d: lack of refineries prevents the price from coming down.(yet same refineries working today, price down 50%)

e: Hurricane Dolly, Gustov, and Ike shut down all off shore sites, some a damaged, price needs to go up. (except 2 of the 3 missed them completely. Ike went over them, but they were all shut down, within 24 hours a few were already back up. Most were down for a week max, yet our surplus was not even really dented. Price really stayed the same, except for people trying to price gauge).

f: Lack of US off shore and ANWAR drilling is keeping the price high.(yet still haven't touched either yet and the price still is down)

g: Hybrids, high MPGs cars, and low demand, has off set our internal cost, prices needs to go up to pay off production(I am not making that one up).

Prices go down:

a: While it is true, there is an international financial crisis (except in the wallet of Exxon/Mobile)

b: Saudi leaving OPEC (yet we get most of our oil and gas from Canada)

c: world wide people are driving less. (But have to be counting the mall trips because people HAVE to go to work and school).

d: threat of off shore drilling (gas down 60 cents at the pump over night, yet nothing happens in terms of drilling).

e: People abandoning gas guzzlers (yet for the area, most bought truck was used F250 diesels).

f: Supposed opening of a new refinery that could drop the price of diesel down to a buck a gallon(yet still new and closed).

g: people want cars now that have high MPGs(yet the two most wanted cars in the area and the new v8 Camero and the new v8 Challenger)

But around the 4 largest city in the US, second in terms of land mass, there hasn't been much change to peoples actions. Only thing that has dropped in sales at the mall because what would have gone to that polo shirt went to the tank. I know this might seem like a close minded post, but speaking of this Houston area, the demand never really changed for the amount of gas bought to warrant the price flying through through the roof, then falling through the floor.

I know this might seem like a close minded post, but speaking of this Houston area, the demand never really changed for the amount of gas bought to warrant the price flying through through the roof, then falling through the floor.

But price can shift (with on a supply or demand curve shift) based upon the expectation of future changes in demand or supply.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7700387.stm

The rise in temperatures at Earth's poles has for the first time been attributed directly to human activities, according to a study.

The work, by an international team, is published in Nature Geoscience journal.

In 2007, the UN's climate change body presented strong scientific evidence the rise in average global temperature is mostly due to human activities.

Now that gap in research has been plugged, according to scientists who carried out a detailed analysis of temperature variations at both poles.

Their study indicates that humans have indeed contributed to warming in both regions.

Researchers expected this result for the Arctic - because of the recent sharp increase in the melting of sea ice in the summer in the region - but temperature variations in the Antarctic have until now been harder to interpret.

Today's study, according to the researchers, suggests for the first time that there's a discernable human influence on both the Arctic and Antarctica.