TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Cryme Time... Opinions???

Alright it seems that this new tag team is causing controversy, I think this deverses it's own thread.

As mullato(half black half white) man, I really don't find this offensive as most people are. I think this gimmick could work well, if used right, and could attract people from the Hip Hop crowd. It's not like they are saying all African-American's are thugs and gangstas, I mean they have blacks acting like thugs on other TV shows, what makes this difference? I mean there are other African-American wrestlers on RAW and SD! and they aren't going around acting like thugs. They have Booker T with his whole King gimmick, they have Shelton Benjamin as a star athlete, they have Lashley as the intense powerhouse who is himself doesn't have no real gimmick, and they have Elijah Burke who is pretty much himself also with no real gimmick, and so on and so forth. If they had every black male on the roster go up to each talking in slang, and acting like gangstas then yes I'd understand. I see this no different then New Jack, Ron Killings as the Truth, Slick and other past gimmicks.

I mean they had the whole gangsta/thug gimmick a few years ago with John Cena, but the difference between him and Cryme Time is that Cena is white, so does that make it any better?

The WWE is not trying to say all black people act this way, they are merely having 2 black wrestlers out of the whole African American roster act like gangstas. And if used right, they could be very succesful for the WWE and bring in the Hip Hop crowd into the WWE, more so then John Cena because alot of people viewed him a poser(not me though) and a Vanilla Ice.

Drop your opinions.

I think they'll be great if used as faces. I'd rather see them on Smackdown though.

I think they'll be great if used as faces. I'd rather see them on Smackdown though.

As do I.

I don't really think it's a stupid gimmick, if they book them right, it could work out. I like them going to RAW, because they need to spice up the tag team divison more so in RAW then SD! I think. They just recently added Turkay/Burke and James/Stevens, and overall got a pretty good tag divison.

unsure about this right now, however their intro vignette especially with that ridicoulous voiceover was pretty entertaining

Ill reserve judgment until we see them in action.

but hey I guess at least theyre bringing back intro vignettes (earlier this year they did the highlanders)

The comedy stuff kills it. They'd be 100x better off being serious gangbangers because even if one of them (from what I hear) can't wrestle for shit. Then I don't think I would have anything negative to say about them facing the Spirit Squad.

Guest droptoehold

a great gimmic for lackluster performers.

does have potentail for a strong run but you

cant have people script write "whats real"

when they obviously have no idea about that

lifestyle/ image.

They are a tag team. They'll be ignored months from now.

Oh, and it's stupid.

I watched Raw last night for the first time in months. I dunno what to think yet. WWE won't keep any team together for any length of time, so I don't get my hopes up for the tag team division

Guest JustPassinBy
I mean they had the whole gangsta/thug gimmick a few years ago with John Cena, but the difference between him and Cryme Time is that Cena is white, so does that make it any better?

The WWE is not trying to say all black people act this way, they are merely having 2 black wrestlers out of the whole African American roster act like gangstas. And if used right, they could be very succesful for the WWE and bring in the Hip Hop crowd into the WWE, more so then John Cena because alot of people viewed him a poser(not me though) and a Vanilla Ice.

Drop your opinions.

I dont like wiggas or niggas.

So John Cena and CrymeTyme both suck.

Not offensive, just stupid.

I agree with the person above that the comedy element kills the entire concept. Its like Vince just decided to reopen the wrestlecrap wall of shame with CrymeTyme, Highlanders, Retards, and SpiritSquad. I hate the tag division.

Drop your opinions.

So John Cena and CrymeTyme both suck.

Not offensive, just stupid.

I agree with the person above that the comedy element kills the entire concept. Its like Vince just decided to reopen the wrestlecrap wall of shame with CrymeTyme, Highlanders, Retards, and SpiritSquad. I hate the tag division.

:huh:

It's definitely stupid. And probably offensive. If it isn't offensive now, I think it will be by the time it's over with. I don't think the WWE can manage to handle something like this without either going to awful stereotypes or doing something which offends someone.

I like it thus far, but have serious doubt the creative team knows how to write that type of humor.

They may need to watch Chappelle Show, Both Fridays, And any movie with Snoop Dogg the next few weeks to get a feel for it.

Alright it seems that this new tag team is causing controversy, I think this deverses it's own thread.

As mullato(half black half white) man, I really don't find this offensive as most people are. I think this gimmick could work well, if used right, and could attract people from the Hip Hop crowd. It's not like they are saying all African-American's are thugs and gangstas, I mean they have blacks acting like thugs on other TV shows, what makes this difference? I mean there are other African-American wrestlers on RAW and SD! and they aren't going around acting like thugs. They have Booker T with his whole King gimmick, they have Shelton Benjamin as a star athlete, they have Lashley as the intense powerhouse who is himself doesn't have no real gimmick, and they have Elijah Burke who is pretty much himself also with no real gimmick, and so on and so forth. If they had every black male on the roster go up to each talking in slang, and acting like gangstas then yes I'd understand. I see this no different then New Jack, Ron Killings as the Truth, Slick and other past gimmicks.

Drop your opinions.

Dont be stupid...i'll assume by "hip hop crowd" you mean young blacks and I seriously doubt WWE playing up the worst stereotype for a black male for chuckles will bring in any fan...I honestly dont see the hilarity of 2 buff black guys seemingly uneducated beating a clerk to a persumably bloody pulp....to me its worse than eddie stealing jewelry while chavo stole a baby bottle...sure theres room for some stereotypical characters like mohammed hassan...he had redeeming qualities as in the social commentary that worked into his character...but theres a line I dont feel should be crossed and cryme tyme crip walked (im sure they'll do that dance soon enough) on that line for me

Can they wrestle? That's all I care about. If their talent justfies getting TV time, whatever. But I'm not going to make any judgments from a single vignette.

But I will come right out the chute and say I don't usually dig comedy wrestlers. Not my cup o' tea.

The comedy stuff kills it. They'd be 100x better off being serious gangbangers because even if one of them (from what I hear) can't wrestle for shit. Then I don't think I would have anything negative to say about them facing the Spirit Squad.

Serious Gangbangers? Even then it would still turn out to be a joke. People never really took New Jack as a serious gimmick, he was more of the fun babyface type. I personally have never heard of these guys before RAW, but wrestling skill irrelevent, if the gimmick can get over.

NOT cool.

Dont be stupid...i'll assume by "hip hop crowd" you mean young blacks and I seriously doubt WWE playing up the worst stereotype for a black male for chuckles will bring in any fan...I honestly dont see the hilarity of 2 buff black guys seemingly uneducated beating a clerk to a persumably bloody pulp....to me its worse than eddie stealing jewelry while chavo stole a baby bottle...

If young blacks don't like seeing black characters play for the stereotype then explain anything produced by the Wayans Brothers, Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock and 95% of hip hop?

It was funny. Two bad workers have a good gimmick. It will either die in the hands of WWE creative or once they hit the ring however.

Drop your opinions.

Dont be stupid...i'll assume by "hip hop crowd" you mean young blacks and I seriously doubt WWE playing up the worst stereotype for a black male for chuckles will bring in any fan...I honestly dont see the hilarity of 2 buff black guys seemingly uneducated beating a clerk to a persumably bloody pulp....to me its worse than eddie stealing jewelry while chavo stole a baby bottle...sure theres room for some stereotypical characters like mohammed hassan...he had redeeming qualities as in the social commentary that worked into his character...but theres a line I dont feel should be crossed and cryme tyme crip walked (im sure they'll do that dance soon enough) on that line for me

Why would I mean young blacks? Alot of people from different races listen to Hip Hop, incase you didn't know. I suppose this is much worse then Booker T and Stevie Ray in their slave gimmick with an old white Southern man as the manger right? Get real. That's real racism and sterotype, that isn't.

Believe it or not, their are black males who do act like this in bad areas of the States, and they are really making a gimmick out of it to help debut wrestlers. Like I said they have done this in the past in other organization, but it's because it's in the WWE, all of the sudden it's wrong. Harlem Heat could be consider sterotypical tag team aswell, but they ended up being one of the best and most over tag teams in the 90's.

Im black and I thought it was funny as hell. If you are black, and you enjoyed the movie Dont Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood and you dont have a problem with the current state of rap music, you should have have anything to say. Like I said on another board, if this was a skit on In Living Color or The Chappelle Show, it would be called the best skit ever on TV.

Im black and I thought it was funny as hell. If you are black, and you enjoyed the movie Dont Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood and you dont have a problem with the current state of rap music, you should have have anything to say. Like I said on another board, if this was a skit on In Living Color or The Chappelle Show, it would be called the best skit ever on TV.

I'm black and I hated that movie...and trust me I don't agree with the "current state" of hip hop. All I hear about is about bitches and "look at my rims...they spin" BS!!

Living Color was a stupid show along with Chappelle's show.

I'm black and I hated that movie...and trust me I don't agree with the "current state" of hip hop. All I hear about is about bitches and "look at my rims...they spin" BS!!

Well theres always an exception. But most people will disagree with you. Personally, I dont care for the movie, but it isnt the devil, hip hop isnt bad, but it isnt good and ILC and CS are funny.

Well theres always an exception.

He's not the only exception... Of course, I'm also probably a good sight older than he is... The other thirty-somethings that I work with and my friends who still watch wrestling all thought that it was incredibly stupid.

Well theres always an exception.

He's not the only exception... Of course, I'm also probably a good sight older than he is... The other thirty-somethings that I work with and my friends who still watch wrestling all thought that it was incredibly stupid.

True, most older people will disagree with it, but 20 somethings and teens are the people that you will see going crazy over Dave Chappelle, they are the people who still support rap, and will find this skit funny.

True, most older people will disagree with it, but 20 somethings and teens are the people that you will see going crazy over Dave Chappelle, they are the people who still support rap, and will find this skit funny.

Excatly, this isn't suppose to appeal to the 30-40 year old wrestling but more to younger generation of fans still in school.