TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

European PS3 Delay

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/De...mp;NewsAreaID=2

London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.

Launch dates for Japan and North America will remain the same, which are November 11th and November 17th respectively.

So much for their massive worldwide launch that nobody ever believed they'd be able to pull off.

The previously announced PLAYSTATION 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed.

lol

But far fewer machines will be available for the launch dates in Japan and the U.S. because of the production problem, Kutaragi said.

In the U.S., about 400,000 PlayStation 3 machines will be available when they go on sale Nov. 17. About 100,000 will be available on the Nov. 11 Japan launch date.

The US is a bigger market.

I only ask because it seems as if no one has any interest at all in the PS3 at $5-600 and it would really suck for Sony if the PS3 didn't rush off the shelves. I guess 400,000 is low enough to ensure that happens though..

I would pay that much for a PS3. I will sometime in the near future. At least as soon as Tekken 6 comes out. Sony would easily sell the initial few million for that much. This year and much of next year they'll sell as many as they can get into stores. The price will only be a problem past that.

The really bad thing about this is that it probably means Sony is wrong about the other estimates too.

I don't think MS has any chance to be #1 worldwide but this is good for Nintendo. If Wii does well like DS it'd be difficult to overtake it. Good for Nintendo, bad for me. I am very upset at the idea of Wii being that successful. The idea of Nintendo as leader again is scary. I do NOT want that to happen at all. MS would even be better than that.

Yikes. Yet another piece of bad news.

I have to say I'm somewhat shocked by the constant fumbles. That nerdy guy on the radio was right, there literally isn't any good news for PS3. I love the first two Playstations, thanks to their enormous library of great games (i still have a ton of greatest hit 4-5 star games that i havent even looked at yet). It also helps that I don't jump into a system until middle-to-late, so there's a buildup of games to play. It's like Sony has lost their damn minds.

This is all due to terrible blue-ray component yields.

God, Sony's obsession with pushing proprietary media formats sure is fucking over their gaming division. If the rest of Sony just let thier gaming divison be, they'd be in a great possition. But no, the rest of Sony has fucked up so bad in the last decade that their only hope is to latch on to the success of the Playstation. Which ironically could end up destroying that success.

God, Sony's obsession with pushing proprietary media formats sure is fucking over their gaming division.

As I was just going over this on another board, Blu-Ray is not proprietary, as there's a number of other electronics companies in it's consortium, including Samsung, Phillips, Hitachi, and LG. The complete list is here.

But yes, I'm sure the publishers are just THRILLED that their software will reach less than half a million gamers, assuming they have that magic killer app that every system owner feels the need to have.

Yikes. Yet another piece of bad news.

I have to say I'm somewhat shocked by the constant fumbles. That nerdy guy on the radio was right, there literally isn't any good news for PS3.

Well lots of bad news, but how about that PS1 emulation on PSP to be available at PS3 launch?

Well, I'll be getting an XBox then...

My sentiments exactly. I actually spoke to the guys at EBGames about different PS3 stuff yesterday in the hopes of ordering one with them. Not gonna happen now. I'll stay with my XBox 360 in 06, PS3 in 08 philosophy.

Anyone think it'd still be a good idea to pick one up on launch day for the sole purpose of throwing it on Ebay?

If you buy a PS3 off ebay and it breaks, will Sony honor the warrant? I doubt it.

Anyone think it'd still be a good idea to pick one up on launch day for the sole purpose of throwing it on Ebay?

I doubt theres going to be demand for it like the 360 where people were paying $1000 for the 360.

You'd think you might get close $1500+ for a PS3 but people aren't that stupid.

If you buy a PS3 off ebay and it breaks, will Sony honor the warrant? I doubt it.

I doubt theres going to be demand for it like the 360 where people were paying $1000 for the 360.

I can see both of your points here. I just remember the ungodly amounts of money that the 360 was selling for last year, and figured if I could possibly double, or triple my investment, then I would have no problem spending the night on a sidewalk somewhere.

All of this is setting up the PS3 to be a COMPLETE and UTTER launch disaster. There is gonna be, most definitely, a shortage, and people will end up paying like with more than just the arm and the leg they are gonna be paying for the PS3 at launch. They will have to go Ebay these systems....

Its kind of pushing me towards the 360 now, I was in Game yesterday and they had a couple of preowned premiums going for about £250 and I was going to buy one till I realised that it wouldnt be long before the PS3 was out, but now, I dunno if I want to wait till March, I just cant see the advantage

I'm assuming Canada being crossed off a map on one of those images is a joke... if they have a US launch that doesn't reach Canada, that's pretty awful.

The first "Wii wish you a Merry X-Mas" one is my favourite with the altered Failure to Launch movie poster in second.

i've heard a ton of people say they're buying a PS3 soley to put it on eBay after hearing about the 360 prices. Methinks perhaps too many people have that idea, and prices might not skyrocket as high as they want possibly.

"like with the Xbox 360"

"after hearing about the Xbox 360..."

Granted this was 6 years ago, but am I the only one who remembers the PS2 going for outrageous prices in classified ads in papers and on the internet after launch? I guess because it's another Sony product, but that's my point of reference on the whole issue.

I'm not an industry analyst or anything, but I don't think buying a PS3 as a money making investment is a great idea. There is too much negative buzz for this console - but then again, there's always someone willing to pay more money for something than they should.

The Wii is what everyone will get by Christmas/ Summer of 2007. The PS3 with all of these problems, might be launched a little too late to capitalize on the success of the 360 and Wii.

The Wii will cut itself a nice piece of the pie (and probably a bigger one than they thought given Sony's troubles), but the 360 is going to be the king in this generation. That is, unless using the Wiimote becomes insanely popular to casual and non-gamers that they help push Nintendo higher in the market.

The Will will DEFINITELY be tops in Japan, there's no doubt about that.

Back when the PS2 came in what, 2001, there were people selling them in newspapers for $1500.

The sad thing was that there were people rich and stupid enough to buy them, only to have them break down inside of a year.

Guest Ray Boogie

now why do I give a shit about europe nigga i live in the united states fuck europe.

Guest Princess Leena

I'm going with the Wii as the console to buy, and then sell for profit. Things are setting up for possible takeover of the US gaming industry. PS3 has far too many negatives to take a chance.