TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TysonTomko420

Comments which don't warrant a thread

Brief history lesson:

In late-'05, Melina & Batista were involved in an angle on Smackdown where Melina straddled Batista and made out with him, attempting to get him to cancel a tag title match with him & Rey Mysterio vs. MNM. Batista stated in interviews immediately after that he was very uncomfortable with the angle. He also said if he could go back in time, he wouldn't do it again. However, everyone backstage thought he was full of shit and suspected him (who was married) & Melina (who is dating Johnny Nitro) were having an affair. They would know better than us. Nothing was proven, yet WWE was still hesitant. Melina & Nitro were moved to Raw right when Batista was scheduled to return from his injury in summer '06.

Batista then lost even more points backstage when he dumped his wife (who at one point had cancer and with whom he had four kids with) and started dating DivaSearch '06 loser and ECW interviewer Rebecca DiPietro.

Batista is a couple with Rebecca now and is in the process of divorcing his wife.

All of that is quite true except for the kids. Batista either has a couple children from a previous marriage, or she did, or both. They don't have four kids with each other. That doesn't make it any better, I'm just clearing up the facts.

Okay, to save dredging up any of the WrestleMania threads...

Does anyone else forsee this Battle Of The Billionaires deal backfiring? It's obvious that the intention is for the fans to be red-hot behind Lashley in the hopes of seeing Vince being shaved bald, thus giving him the immortal 'rub'. But watching that video package with the celebrities being 'interviewed' on RAW made me think, how many people in America would actually prefer to see Trump shaved bald as opposed to McMahon?

Trump getting the head shaved would be a much bigger story and obviously a more shocking event than McMahon (if only because it's so obvious who's going over). But also, I didn't think the American public actually liked Trump. Or at least that he'd become somewhat of a figure for ridicule in the past few months. Plus, he's the 'outsider' in all of this.

Again, maybe it's just me. But I've got a sneaking suspicion that there'll be a lot of support for Umaga/Vince at Mania, even if it's the vocal minority at first and that the people are going to end up turning on Lashley/Trump. Which would in turn ruin the plan to put Lashley over.

Am I alone?

You're definitely on to something there. The psychology is a definitely a little backwards. I don't know that it will translate with the crowd though. As was mentioned, it's going to be a wrestling crowd in the arena, so I don't think there will be too much of a vocal backlash.

Another issue I haven't heard anyone comment on: They're trying to do this mainstream angle to get mainstream buys to appeal to mainstream viewers and the guy they showcase is... Umaga?? I have nothing against Umaga, but that gimmick is straight out of the 70's. How exactly is the gimmick of savage samoan beast who can't speak a word of english supposed to change the media's and general public's perception of wrestling? Seems a little counter productive to me. In the WM 11 thread, someone mentioned that putting LT up against someone like Bigelow was a big mistake because it would do nothing to stop outsiders from thinking wrestling was a joke. Fine point. Well, now that it's 2007, and the post-Attitude era, isn't putting Umaga in a situation like this ten times worse from that standpoint?

That's cool that they went 30 min- I didn't know MVP had it in him

Well MVP used to wrestle in ROH and Full Impact Pro in Florida, so I figured he would have had a long match somewhere in one of these wrestling first feds.

Here's hoping they get at least 20 at Wrestlemania... but who are we kidding.

I don't know if he was ever in ROH, but he apparently appeared on early TNA shows. That funny dance thing he does makes sense when you realize he was trained by Normal Smiley. I wonder if he'll utilize his TTB crossface in matches with Benoit?

I don't know if he was ever in ROH, but he apparently appeared on early TNA shows. That funny dance thing he does makes sense when you realize he was trained by Normal Smiley. I wonder if he'll utilize his TTB crossface in matches with Benoit?

He did a couple pre-shows and I believe one six man match on the main show but he wasn't a regular in ROH. He worked more in FIP but I don't recall him having marathon matches.

Don't forget that Benoit and JBL apparently were having incredible long matches leading up to WM only to get stuck with a 8 minute match that never got going. Wouldn't be shocked to see the same result at this WM with the blow-off match sending Benoit to Raw getting that 1/2 hour time.

I see what you're saying, but a lot of people were looking forward to JBL vs Benoit before any word of their house show matches hit the net (unless that was just me). This year, it seems everyone is totally against the idea of Benoit vs MVP at Mania, so I was glad to hear that they've apparently had a good match.

WO.com Tuesday update:

--Today's Detroit News has a story on Johnny Nitro at www.detnews.com. He said he'd like to work with Randy Savage or Shawn Michaels. He said that people like to call John Cena unorthodox, but that's just a nice way of saying he can't wrestle that good. He said he's into Scientology, although he may have been saying that for comedy. "If Scientology tapers off, I'll move on to the next big religion."

WO.com Tuesday update:

--Today's Detroit News has a story on Johnny Nitro at www.detnews.com. He said he'd like to work with Randy Savage or Shawn Michaels. He said that people like to call John Cena unorthodox, but that's just a nice way of saying he can't wrestle that good. He said he's into Scientology, although he may have been saying that for comedy. "If Scientology tapers off, I'll move on to the next big religion."

That line makes me like Johnny Nitro even more.

People in WWE are comparing Batista to Jim Hellwig a lot now. They say he doesn't really love wrestling and simply got in because he had a great body and was well-pushed and well-protected. Triple H is a huge supporter of his and views him as a protege. He was obsessed with getting Batista over in 2005, particularly after his Randy Orton angles failed, because he felt it would be a part of his legacy. Triple H is aware that, from the outside, there is a certain doubt as to how he will be remembered. However, Batista has also developed a star attitude. Things he has said in the Smackdown locker room, plus perceived arrogance and aloofness have hurt his popularity with the rest of the guys, although since he is actually quite a shy person much of that may have been unintentional. The fight with Booker T hurt him a great deal more though. He had been scheduled to win the title back at SummerSlam but Vince McMahon changed that plan and at the time said Batista was never getting the title back at all. This was not because of the fight occurring but because Batista lost it and Vince could no longer personally buy into Batista as a huge tough guy for losing to Booker. Michael Hayes and Dusty Rhodes talked Vince around since Smackdown was in such a bad shape over the summer and Batista still had drawing ability, while Booker was mainly comedy. When the plan worked Vince was prepared to even let Batista go over Undertaker at WrestleMania to 'take him to the next level of stardom', but Batista has made such a bad impression on people during this latest reign that it is very unlikely to extend past Mania.

wrestling observer newsletter

People in WWE are comparing Batista to Jim Hellwig a lot now. wrestling observer newsletter

Except Hellwig was gold in his interviews (even if they made no sense). Batista speaking ALWAYS makes me want to change the channel.

DESTRUCICITY...forever!

They should have Lashley beat the shit out of Cena sometime for pretending he's a Marine...

Or give him a good face manager... I think the guy could be a draw, but he needs a manager... and not too many matches like the one he had tonight with Orton

People in WWE are comparing Batista to Jim Hellwig a lot now. They say he doesn't really love wrestling and simply got in because he had a great body and was well-pushed and well-protected. Triple H is a huge supporter of his and views him as a protege. He was obsessed with getting Batista over in 2005, particularly after his Randy Orton angles failed, because he felt it would be a part of his legacy. Triple H is aware that, from the outside, there is a certain doubt as to how he will be remembered. However, Batista has also developed a star attitude. Things he has said in the Smackdown locker room, plus perceived arrogance and aloofness have hurt his popularity with the rest of the guys, although since he is actually quite a shy person much of that may have been unintentional. The fight with Booker T hurt him a great deal more though. He had been scheduled to win the title back at SummerSlam but Vince McMahon changed that plan and at the time said Batista was never getting the title back at all. This was not because of the fight occurring but because Batista lost it and Vince could no longer personally buy into Batista as a huge tough guy for losing to Booker. Michael Hayes and Dusty Rhodes talked Vince around since Smackdown was in such a bad shape over the summer and Batista still had drawing ability, while Booker was mainly comedy. When the plan worked Vince was prepared to even let Batista go over Undertaker at WrestleMania to 'take him to the next level of stardom', but Batista has made such a bad impression on people during this latest reign that it is very unlikely to extend past Mania.

Did anyone catch the absurdity of this statement? Vince didn't allow Batista to win the world title because he lost a fight to Booker T?? WTF? I've seen plenty of 'huge tough guys' lose matches to smaller opponents because they were chickenshits who hid behind their size or had no fighting skills. Besides, how many fans were even aware of Batista's ass whooping? How did Booker feel about Vince's feelings about him?

Did anyone catch the absurdity of this statement? Vince didn't allow Batista to win the world title because he lost a fight to Booker T?? WTF? I've seen plenty of 'huge tough guys' lose matches to smaller opponents because they were chickenshits who hid behind their size or had no fighting skills. Besides, how many fans were even aware of Batista's ass whooping? How did Booker feel about Vince's feelings about him?

This is a callback to the territory days, when a promotor would only put the belt on someone who could legit handle himself in a real fight. It makes me think of Foley's book where he says the P wouldn't want his world champ being bitch slapped by some fan, wouldn't make his champion look good.

I'm obviously reading too much into it, but maybe Vince has that mindset.

Wouldn't explain Mysterio's reign, though..

If you're one of the large group of people that not only don't post in the SD spoilers thread, causing it to become the OAO TV thread as well, but doesn't even read it, here's how WWE is handling Mistico not telling them he still had a contract:

MVP b El Gran Latte (a great cup of coffee), the masked champion on Honduras. Well, you can figure out who they are mad at this week. Quick squash

I really dont get how Batista is HHH's protege.

I mean..HHH will likely be in the business long after Batista leaves, especially since Batista is probably older than HHH I think. Im thinking they just mean that he's a guy that HHH made a star and if it wasnt for HHH he'd be gone by now.

Oh, and I would find it hillarious if the Battle of the Billionaires match ends up with no clear winner and they both get their heads shaved.

Edge hasn't been wrestling the past few weeks due to a fractured jaw, according to Pro Wrestling Insider. He reportedly suffered the injury during his Money in the Bank qualifying match vs. RVD.

It is expected that he won't be wrestling until Mania

Edge hasn't been wrestling the past few weeks due to a fractured jaw, according to Pro Wrestling Insider. He reportedly suffered the injury during his Money in the Bank qualifying match vs. RVD.

It is expected that he won't be wrestling until Mania

Nobeody gets higher, or is stiffer than RVD.

Anyways, it must hurt when Edge does his maniacal laugh. I hope they keep this new angle/attitude with Edge past money in the bank. Cheap heat, yes, but good heat.