TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felonies!

The Name Of This Thread Is Talking Heads

Guest Felonies!

The Speaking in Tongues tracks don't improve much, and I don't like Remain in Light tracks live, but anything from Fear of Music becomes ten times better. This goes for SMS and The Name Of. . .

Guest Felonies!

It's up there. I really like "The Great Curve," though. Any of the first four RIL tracks are winners. I never got the love for the "Take Me to the River" cover, personally.

Hey, how is solo David Byrne?

I had a chance to see David Bryne solo at Bonnaroo '04...but missed it as I was too busy puking in dozens of porta-potties. I regret that.

The Name Of This Thread Is Talking Heads

Stop Making Threads

Seriously, I second that "This Must Be the Place" is their best song. It's certainly my favorite (that or "Wild Wild Life")

It's up there. I really like "The Great Curve," though. Any of the first four RIL tracks are winners. I never got the love for the "Take Me to the River" cover, personally.

Hey, how is solo David Byrne?

There's a clip from an Arcade Fire concert of him and the band doing This Must Be The Place, really good stuff. Worth checking out.

Guest Felonies!

I did check that out like three weeks ago and felt it lacked the charm of the original.

I did check that out like three weeks ago and felt it lacked the charm of the original.

I actually prefer the versions I've heard that Arcade Fire do without Byrne. With him involved, it seems a little too much like "holy shit, there's David Byrne, guys!" The original's still the best, though.

As I think I've said several times before, I've always been kind of cold on Talking Heads. I have Fear of Music and it's very good, but I admire it more than I love it. I absolutely love about half a dozen of their songs, but overall it just hasn't clicked right yet. I used to say the same thing about Bowie, though, so maybe they'll become fast favorites soon enough.

To me, the first four albums are their best work. Also, I don't care what Czech says, "My Life In the Bush of Ghosts" is incredible.

Definitely one of my top two or three bands. I like More Songs About Buildings and Food and Fear of Music the best, but any of the first five albums could be considered a classic. Little Creatures and True Stories are really fun pop, the two live albums get more plays in my car than the studio albums, and Naked is an okay listen for a big fan of the band's but the quality is really kind of sub-par there.

David Byrne solo is much better live than on record, but Rei Momo and his newest album are both awesome (unless you have an aversion to world music.) So are The Catherine Wheel and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (w/ Brian Eno,) both of which he released while still in TH.

Right now David Byrne is working on a Brazilian disco-opera with Fatboy Slim. It's been in the works for a while, but my excitement is still on the rise.

EDIT: Oh, and Edwin, you should at least buy one or two more albums before you quit on the T-Heads. Honestly, I would never see Fear of Music being one of your favorites anyway.

Guest Felonies!

I always enjoy Talking Heads '77, it's good fun, but it sounds so dry compared to the later stuff. Edwin, did you try The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads yet? So many songs are better live.

I actually prefer the versions I've heard that Arcade Fire do without Byrne. With him involved, it seems a little too much like "holy shit, there's David Byrne, guys!" The original's still the best, though.

As I think I've said several times before, I've always been kind of cold on Talking Heads. I have Fear of Music and it's very good, but I admire it more than I love it. I absolutely love about half a dozen of their songs, but overall it just hasn't clicked right yet. I used to say the same thing about Bowie, though, so maybe they'll become fast favorites soon enough.

Yeah, me too. I feel that the turnaround is currently in motion though.

Guest Felonies!

I just realized that in "Burning Down The House," it would obviously be "I'm gonna burst into flames," and not "I'm gonna bust in your face" like I originally thought.

I've had 77 for quite a while now and really like it. I've got nothing but good things to say about "Uh Oh Love Comes To Town." I've been meaning to pick up something else by them for quite some time now. Finally got round to it yesterday with "Remain in Light." Picked it up from Fopp for £5, not bad. Need to get around to listening to it now though.

As I already mentioned in another thread, I recently got Fear of Music and More Songs About Buildings and Food. I can't quit listening to FOM.

Guest Felonies!

Oh man, I need The Catherine Wheel. "Big Business" is a great song. This would've been such a perfect track for Fear of Music. Can't find it on slsk. Can anyone hook me up?

Guest Felonies!

Ugh, never mind. I think it's incidental music for a play or something, so it's harder to get into. It reminds me of The Black Rider in that regard. This is good, but certainly not essential, which seems to be the case for lots of solo projects that come out during a band's existence (see also: The Eraser, Bodysong).

And "Big Business" was cooler in the film.