TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
In Credible

TOAO The Wire Season 4 Thread

I love this show.

I love how they give you little pieces of information through out the show from all sides and it adds up to something that makes you go " damn that's clever".

I also really like how they show more than just one side to the characters, because in real life most people aren't totally good or bad, there's several shades of gray.

Marlo is definately more clever and calculating than Avon was and it's showing already.

Great start to the season, I can't wait for more.

I mentioned in the HBO Sunday Lineup thread that I regret not getting into this show from the get-go...over the course of two weeks, I watched all 3 seasons on HBO InDemand and can agree that this may be one of the greatest TV shows I've ever seen...by far the best crime drama around and Bunk, McNulty and Freamon are my favorite TV cops of all-time....sorry Crockett and Tubbs, you all got bumped.

I love the Wire, but it ain't got shit on the Shield.

Vic Mackey >>>>>>>>>>>>> The whole police force on the Wire.

We're talking about the best show on TV in this thread, not that broke ass Bruce Willis wannabe.

I love the Wire, but it ain't got shit on the Shield.

Vic Mackey >>>>>>>>>>>>> The whole police force on the Wire.

We're talking about the best show on TV in this thread, not that broke ass Bruce Willis wannabe.

The Strike Team would run a train on the police force on the Wire.

Vic Mackey would kick Herc and Carver's ass by himself. And then John Kavanaugh would get cases on all of them.

Haven't seen the Shield, so I won't comment. I like you BL, started watching the Wire in July. Let me ask you a question that ate at me during the Season 3 finale and the beginning of Season 4, does anybody else feel guilty that McNulty is seemingly at peace with himself, and is not just a drunken buffoon again? I know I'm rooting for him to fall off the wagon.

See that's just the thing, everyone knows what he is doing now is better for him. His family is better off and he and his wife are better off, but we all know somehow Jimmy is gonna get back into it. I'm not talking about getting back into drinking, I'm talking about detective work. Then again I think with McNulty those go hand in hand.

And Carlito, if you are going to post about The Shield do it somewhere else, this isn't a what character could beat up another thread. Besides The Wire's police force isn't dumb enough to have corrupt cops running around all the time.

The Shield and The Wire are completely different kinds of television. And they're both amazingly well done. The Shield has a kind of hyper-realism, but it's clearly written with plot as the main element. It has all these twists and turns and almost Shakspearean tragedies. The Wire on the other hand is just so fucking... real. It's all about theme. There's nothing else on TV like The Wire. And I don't mean that there aren't any gritty realistic cop shows (becasue there clearly are, like The Shield) but there's no other shows that handle storytelling, theme, and social commentary like it does. It's like The Wire just trancends the whole medium.

Here's a great interview with David Simon that really illustrates how different The Wire is.

Now, I just caught the season 4 premiere and I'm really interested in where this is going. The school stuff looks like it's going to be very thought provoking. My favorite parts of the first episode were:

-Snoop giving the hardware store guy the tip. "You earned that buck like a muthafucker man, keep dat shit."

-The intercut presentations from the No Child Left Behind Act people to the teachers and the Homeland Security people to the cops with their stupid Powerpoint slides and seeing how utterly useless it all is when there's real problems in the inner cities. "I Am Lovable And Capable"

- The shot of Snoop and that dude (can't remember his name) walking by all the boarded up houses after ditching the dead guy in one of them and realizing "Oh shit, so that's why Freamon said that they're never hearing about Marlo dropping bodies."

Yeah, I think the guys name was Chris.

That's what I was talking about with the small pieces of info. You see snoop buy the nail gun and mentioning they do 5 to 6 "jobs" per month (that was a really good scene too). Then you see them killing a guy in a construction type setting. Then later Freamon talks about how they don't have any bodies.

Later when the white politician is walking with the neighborhood lady (cant remember the politicians name) you see a board on a window/door that says "If wild animal is found call #".

Then it comes together when they kill Lex was it? You see Snoop and Chris boarding up a door with the nailgun and one of those animal control boards.

I love it, they give you enough info to figure it out and not feel like they totally beat you over the head with it.

Yeah, I think the guys name was Chris.

That's what I was talking about with the small pieces of info. You see snoop buy the nail gun and mentioning they do 5 to 6 "jobs" per month (that was a really good scene too). Then you see them killing a guy in a construction type setting. Then later Freamon talks about how they don't have any bodies.

Later when the white politician is walking with the neighborhood lady (cant remember the politicians name) you see a board on a window/door that says "If wild animal is found call #".

Then it comes together when they kill Lex was it? You see Snoop and Chris boarding up a door with the nailgun and one of those animal control boards.

I love it, they give you enough info to figure it out and not feel like they totally beat you over the head with it.

Yeah, and didn't Carcetti push someone to get the ball rolling on sanitation cleaning up that neighborhood? I'm guessing that all those bodies are going to be found soon...

the 2nd episode is on OnDemand now.

-no McNulty this episode!

-Herc catches the Mayor getting a blowjob from a hooker...he asks Major Valcheck what to do and the major tells him to just keep quiet about it...only to run and tell Cercetti himself later!

-WEE-BAY~! makes an appearance...he's the father of the one kid with the wavy ponytail hair that spilled the piss balloon on himself.

the episode isn't bad, nothing to spectacular happens, just a going-through-the-motions episode.

that does suck, but then again, don't you hate when shows carry on well past their prime?

Sorta, depends if it's written well.

Oz sucked big time in the final 2 seasons, but at the same time The Shield I think is better then ever.

yeah, Oz got to a point where shit was just getting rather silly...Season 6 seemed like they were in such a hurry to wrap up storylines and characters that spanned seasons and it all felt rushed.

Said getting killed off by some random goof...all those years in prison and guys like Schillinger and the Aryans couldn't get him but some random dweeb walks in and blows him away? A character like Said deserved something a bit more...glamorous? Like Adebisi's exit. That final scene with Adebisi spitting up blood and hitting the ground dead was great!

the ending to the Beecher/Schillinger/Keller love triangle was anti-climatic, big time.

Hill's death is what really capped it for me.

yeah, Oz got to a point where shit was just getting rather silly...Season 6 seemed like they were in such a hurry to wrap up storylines and characters that spanned seasons and it all felt rushed.

Said getting killed off by some random goof...all those years in prison and guys like Schillinger and the Aryans couldn't get him but some random dweeb walks in and blows him away? A character like Said deserved something a bit more...glamorous? Like Adebisi's exit. That final scene with Adebisi spitting up blood and hitting the ground dead was great!

the ending to the Beecher/Schillinger/Keller love triangle was anti-climatic, big time.

Hill's death is what really capped it for me.

Yeah, and they way the killed Omar White sucked aswell. He was the best new character on the show byfar. Plus Alverez turning into a queer at the end was dumb aswell.

Yeah, and they way the killed Omar White sucked aswell. He was the best new character on the show byfar. Plus Alverez turning into a queer at the end was dumb aswell.

damn man, that shit was so bad I totally forgot about it!

heh Alvarez, there since day one, goes out like that.

at least Ryan O'Rielly's character got some decent closure.

I still think Beecher should have been released for good by the time the series ended.

I just finished season 3 on DVD, and it was stupdendous. So marlow is the new heel eh? I don't have HBO so I'll probably wait for DVD (rather than try to play the download game). or at least wait till the season is over before trying it.

Second episode was awesome as well, I really like the way that this season is going so far.

Bubbles getting dressed up and going to the school was so great, and Prez' double take upon seeing him was priceless. Clay Davis always makes me laugh as well. Actually I think this episode had more funny stuff than any other Wire I can think of.