TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Guest Princess Leena

$10 is a bit much. Especially since just about all N64 games are cheaper in stores.

Guest Smues
According to the Reuters news service, Nintendo will see an immediate profit on every Wii unit sold.

The Wii: bringing home the bacon

This statement comes directly from Reggie Fils-Amis, president of Nintendo of America. "We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box--hardware and software," Fils-Amis is quoted as saying. "That really is a very different philosophy versus our competitors."

Historically, hardware developers have sold their consoles at a loss in order to build up their customer base. They then make up the difference through software sales. Nintendo has traditionally shied away from this model, placing a higher premium on its hardware in order to earn a profit on every sale.

In contrast, it is estimated that Microsoft loses $125 dollars for every Xbox 360 unit it sells. Sony may see even bigger losses for its PlayStation 3 console: some estimates place the manufacturing cost of a PS3 at or above the $900 mark. With a recently announced price tag of $599 dollars (for the premium version), it is possible that Sony will take an estimated loss of $300 dollars on each PS3 it sells.

"We are a company that competes only in the interactive entertainment space so we have to make a profit on every thing we do," Fils-Amis added, referring to the fact that, unlike its two competitors which both have other revenue streams, gaming is Nintendo's sole business.

The Wii's cheap AND Nintendo still makes a profit off of it. Awesome.

Profits a lot smarter than Sony's dumb situation but 250 is crazy. Should have been 200.

I would love to see how much their cost is.

The cost for downloading games is the worst. There's nothing awesome about paying 10 dollars minimum to download a 1996 game.

re: article, that's why it costs 250. That's some profit margin Nintendo got going there. They could sell it for 200 and still make a profit, but they knew they'd got most of the hardcore fans in the bag already, so its all gold lining.

Well since Xenogears is terrible and, despite the fact they are awesome, one cannot deny Nintendo's profit-grabbing ways (remember their outrageous licence fess for 3rd party companies to manufacture cartridges?) and as TS has mentioned, that is Anya's beef with Nintendo. They killed the Metroid guy with the Virtual Boy.

The answer is no one.

They literally killed him. It was a mob hit. Nintendo has ties with the Yakuza and Yamauchi ordered the hit to punish him for Virtual Boy and because they were afraid of the Wonder Swan. Old man Yamauchi also has ties to prostitution. He is an evil, evil man.

I cannot actually back any of this up. I got it from an Xbox fan at another forum.

Guest BOOT

Where the fuck is Yamauchi?

Edit: If its 150 pounds sterling at launch I'd say that's OK. Still won't buy it straight off, but it could be worse. Also, if decent hard to find (not sure what that includes) N64 games are available on the virtual console for 10 dollars (or the British equivalent) can't be too bad. Having to buy a separate controller to play them though, that's a bit shit.

Who acts sillier: Andrew with Xenogears or Anya with anything Nintendo?

Actually, I've made my piece with the Xenogears situation, since the creators got to have full creative license to bring their vision to life, it still sucked, and the market dictated they shan't continue.

The revelation that Nintendo killed Yokoi WITH A VIRTUAL BOY is sad, though. I thought it was just a tragic car accident when a motorist crushed him between a parked car. Now I wonder if they gave him eye cancer, bludgeoned him to death with the unit, or simply blinded him and he walked into traffic.

Sad way to go.

Yamauchi was basically forced into retirement, BTW, so he's not even relevant anyway.

--------

As for Virtual Console prices, I think the "starting at" is leaving the gate open for 3rd parties to set their own. I know I'd be glad to pay 8 bucks for a Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Thrix without dealing with crappy loading times, or funky emulators.

Guest BOOT

It was a crap idea he had though. A major blemish on a repuation (which has been fucked over worse since then). Pretty amusing theory. He kind of looked like a zombie anyway didn't he?

Edit. I may have been picturing Yamauchi with the zombie comment. Or possibly skinny Japanese people in general, i'm not quite sure.

Yamauchi does look like a zombie and he usually is wearing huge glasses like a Japanese Kim Jong Ill.

yamauchi.jpg

Guest BritishBruiser

I definitely will have to buy one of these. The weather channel intrigues me.

Guest BOOT

Hiroshi_Yamauchi.jpg

I wouldn't want to work with this guy. He might try to eat my brains.

Edit. Nice pic Anya. Take this:

hiroshiy.JPG

Edit2. The weather channel is one of the more useful pointless add ons game companies have explored in recent years. Especially for free.

Google doesn't lie. If you buy a Wii you're supporting the Japanese mafia.

Maybe the undead too.

Guest BOOT

I rape Nintendo over any other game company, and have never really been a graphics whore. However, if the Wii has to struggle to beat Xbox graphics i'll be disapointed. And if the new controller can't be fully utilised due to lack of processing power; Nintendo = dumb mother fuckers.

And when Sony (if they feel so inclined) come out with a default control scheme consisting of basically 2 wii motes (but one with an analogue stick) Nintendo will have been proven to be short sighted yet again.

I love them, but they are dumb cunts.

Results 1 - 10 of about 28,700,000 for sony + evil.

Results 1 - 10 of about 23,100,000 for microsoft + evil

Results 1 - 10 of about 21,200,000 for nintendo + evil.

Number 3 again.

Although that's impressive for a company with a relatively narrow focus.

At the risk of getting back on topic, here's the Wii power brick. This is old but I haven't seen it before:

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2006/06/3...upply-revealed/

Which is disappointing, since I expected it to use its own internal power supply fueled by smiles, rainbows, and fun.

There is no DVD playback.

Miyamoto threw out the possibility of enhancing some of the games, so maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. That tidbit came out shortly after Sega Classics Collection came out, so I'm not sure the response was too positive. Of course, Sega screwed up their "enhanced" classics about as much as Sega could be expected to screw up these days.

Could be a good thing for the N64, kind of iffy for NES games.

And it seems the 10 dollar N64 games stick in a lot of gamers' craws. There's lots of NES games you can justify $5 for. $8 isn't so bad for a lot of primo SNES games, especially RPGs. However, for N64 games, most of the very best titles are in huge bins at Gamestop for $4.99 right now.

But, if by some circumstances made unlikely by current legal entanglements, an enhanced, glitch-free No Mercy was made available--I'd pay a Jackson for it easy.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

The $10 N64 games is for the comfort. Wii don't have to get up off our lazy asses and go all the way down to local Mall game store and pick up our $5 decade old game, while the 16 year old greasy XBOX fanboy stares at us with puzzlement. I don't need him judging me!

So with the N64 games, are they only going to be Nintendo produced games or where till be games made from others as well. Imagine if No Mercy was sold for the Wii....good times good times.