TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

My phone didn't stop ringing while I was at work today (Gamestop). Gamestop and EB Games (unless the rules vary by region) aren't taking preorders for the Wii SYSTEM until each store finds out how many units it will be allocated. This will likely happen at some point in the next week. Most of the GAMES however can already by preordered.

It got to the point that I had to change the phone greeting to "Thank You for calling Gamestop, no we are NOT taking preorders for the Wii system yet. How may I help you?".

I don't think No Mercy will be on the Virtual Console due to the fact that many of the wrestlers featured in it are no longer with WWE and thus no longer held to whatever licensing agreements that allowed them to be in the game. Does THQ want to have to pay royalties based on a freakin' virtual console game? Do they want to have to go in and edit a near six-year-old game to remove all references to WWE's now-prohibited former name? I think not!

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Friday, December 8th for England, £179.

As part of its all-encompassing Wii event, being held today in London's Docklands, Nintendo has revealed specifics on its Virtual Console serivce, set to offer retro classics and new titles to Wii owners from launch.

A total of 15 Virtual Console titles will available to European gamers during the launch period. Nintendo also revealed that an additional 5-10 classic titles will be available for download every month.

Prices are tiered with NES games available for 500 "Wii Points" at £3.50/€5, SNES games will cost 800 points (£5.60/€8) and N64 will set you back 1000 points, or £7/€10. The pricing for titles on other formats - SEGA Mega Drive, TurboGrafx and MSX - has yet to be confirmed. You'll be able to pick up point cards at retail outlets, with 2000 points weighing in at £14/€20.

In addition to games for those older systems, the Wii will be backwards compatible with some 530 GameCube titles from day one as previously announced.

Guest BOOT

179 pounds inf the UK? Balls to that. I'll wait to see if it lives up to its potential, and even then won't be spending more than 150 on it, if that.

Unless it is truly brilliant of course. Even then I don't see it being successful here, most people are very close minded.

I don't think No Mercy will be on the Virtual Console due to the fact that many of the wrestlers featured in it are no longer with WWE and thus no longer held to whatever licensing agreements that allowed them to be in the game. Does THQ want to have to pay royalties based on a freakin' virtual console game? Do they want to have to go in and edit a near six-year-old game to remove all references to WWE's now-prohibited former name? I think not!

Does that even matter though? I still see tons of old wrestling games being sold all over the place.

I don't think No Mercy will be on the Virtual Console due to the fact that many of the wrestlers featured in it are no longer with WWE and thus no longer held to whatever licensing agreements that allowed them to be in the game.

Sensei Obvious.

Although I think it depends on what sort of trademark dealy WWE/F had with the wrestlers. Wrestlemania The Arcade Game came out long after some of the wrestlers were gone, with the home ports even later.

It's hard to tell since it's surely not cut and dry, but possible since we know how much WWE contracts put the screws to much of their talent.

OK, think of it this way: would THQ want to put an old game on the VC and run the risk of not having people buy whatever new WWE they come out with for Wii? I mean, No Mercy is a pretty full-featured game, and it has a CAW mode and everything. I would think some people would just say "fuck paying $50 for a new game" when they could get a better one for $10, even if the new one has Gamecube-quality graphics, possible Wii-mote functionality (how could you play a wrestling game with that thing?) and dynamic new WWE Superstars like Mr. Kennedy and Candice Michelle.

Gamespot says Twiilight Princess controls are AOK:

http://www.gamespot.com/events/wiilaunch/s...opslot;action;3

Red Steel apparently no longer sucks:

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/redstee...tml?sid=6157687

Metroid Prime 3 shaping up well:

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroid...tml?sid=6157653

Buttload of others:

http://www.gamespot.com/events/wiilaunch/games.html

http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=s...mp;storyid=2433

Juicy, juicy. Here's the word on the street -- the streets of New York to be specific. Anthony JC updates us on information overheard during his Nintendo conference travels.

Earthbound Zero, Earthbound, Earthbound 2, Metroid 2 (color) are coming to the Virtual Console.

There will be new Virtual Console remakes of certain NES and Game Boy games by first and third party developers. Expect to pay a bit more upon release. Online Wi-Fi for Virtual Console games is still a mystery.

Pokemon Battle Revolution for Wii and Pokemon for Nintendo DS will arrive in North America sometime in March/April.

Arcade and Amiga 500 games will join the Virtual Console fold very soon.

Nintendo is contemplating releasing a Wii version of Tetris, Dr. Mario, and Mahjong exclusively through the Virtual Console. These are not ports of Famicom versions but new versions updated beyond their Nintendo DS counterparts.

Nintendo Wii owners will get to buy Virtual Console games, game soundtracks, wall papers, and other physical items (real life posters and toys for example) with Wii Points. Wii Points can be purchased, earned through buying games, donated from friends, and won through Wi-Fi raffles.

http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=s...mp;storyid=2431

In Wii Tennis, we'd like to clear up certain assumptions about movement on the tennis course. First of all, you will need to determine and use the required swing. For example, if the ball coming towards you requires a backhand swing, you will miss it if you don't perform a backhand swing. Meaning, you can't just wildly hit the ball no matter what kind of swing you do. The game fully maps every swing. It even maps whether you follow your swing the whole way through. Another important note is that while there is no 1:1 movement, there are options to move across the court. For example, you can decide to play the backcourt or play the net. I don't recall how this was performed, but I believe by stabbing the Wii remote forward you move your character closer to the net. This is crucial to those thinking there was no court placement strategy in the game because there is.

Wii Baseball kind of plays like Mario Baseball. It isn't just a homerun derby. You can get singles and put a man on base. Then you have the opportunity to bring the man home by scoring another hit. You keep offense until you get three outs. Then you switch. Nintendo also added the ability to pitch against your opponent, making it a two-sided affair now. You can throw a screw ball, fast ball, and curve ball. And it isn't as easy to hit a homerun as past videos have shown.

Wii Boxing is the only Wii Sports game to use the Wiimote and the Nunchuk. While you don't move your character, you control the blocks and evades while you also control your left/right strikes. Jabs, hooks, and uppercuts are all mapped out accurately. The game is definitely a throwback to Punch-Out under the Wii Sports banner. This one is sure to be a huge hit.

The entire WiiSports line-up has an interesting presentation style almost mimicking an ESPN telecast. Replays and constant Wii Sports banners are shown during gameplay. Wii Sports also has some amazing textures -- real-time shadowing and nice reflections. The textures are what really makes this game graphically next-gen. Finally, in regards to gameplay, there is much mystery as to how deep and well presented a full single player session will be. Stay tuned for more details.

http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=s...mp;storyid=2432

The Wii is getting an awful lot of Japanese support. In fact, by 2007, the console will literally be overflowing with games from the land of the rising sun. It's hard to deny the development community's confidence in the system. See for yourself. Here's a glimpse of some upcoming titles originating from Japan.

Capcom

Devil Kings Wii

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Hudson

Sudoku Challenge

Bomberman Land

Koei

Dynasty Warriors Wii

Mahjong Wii

Horse Racing Wii

New RPG

Konami

New Action Adventure Game 1

New Action Adventure Game 2

Role Playing Game

Baseball Game

Soccer Game

Marvelous

Harvest Moon Wii

Legend of River King Wii

New Simulation

Namco

Pacman Carnival

Swords of Legendia

Sega

Bleach

Gun Shooting Game

Sonic and The Secret Rings

Spike

Heroes

Jawa

Square-Enix

Dragon Quest Swords

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Taito

Cooking Mama

New Game

Street Car Go

Yukes

The Dog Island

+Earthbound Zero, Earthbound, Earthbound 2

(Wait...Earthbound 2 ie Mother 3 ie the new game that's sitting out in Japan?!)

+There will be new Virtual Console remakes of certain NES and Game Boy games by first and third party developers.

-Online Wi-Fi for Virtual Console games is still a mystery.

+Arcade...will join the Virtual Console fold very soon.

+Nintendo Wii owners will get to buy Virtual Console games, game soundtracks, wall papers, and other physical items (real life posters and toys for example) with Wii Points. Wii Points can be purchased, earned through buying games, donated from friends, and won through Wi-Fi raffles.

EDIT: Damn, Downhome just keeps hitting it up with the new info.

Man, none of the consoles are giving Europe any love. That region lock just seems cruel.

Wii Sports sounds damn cool. I'm really glad that the baseball portion (the one I was most interested in) is much more fleshed out than I originally thought. Boxing sounds like a lot of fun too.

Guest Princess Leena

Any wrestling fan who doesn't know of No Mercy by now isn't going to think it's better than DOR. The game hasn't aged well graphically. It's quite hideous.

Any wrestling fan who doesn't know of No Mercy by now isn't going to think it's better than DOR. The game hasn't aged well graphically. It's quite hideous.

And slooooooooooooooooow.

WTF is Bleach from Sega?

No Mercy doesnt look nearly as bad as WCW/nWo REVENGE..

WTF is Bleach from Sega?

Most likely, a game based on the anime/manga of the same name.

There was a big preview video and Bleach was in it. It appears to be a one-on-one fighter based on the anime.

WTF is Bleach from Sega?

Most likely, a game based on the anime/manga of the same name.

There was a big preview video and Bleach was in it. It appears to be a one-on-one fighter based on the anime.

and here I was hoping for a laundy simulator to go along with the apparent cooking sim..

As for the Wii's regional lockouts, the official word seems to be there's no official word. It seems like the US and European heads have their heads up their asses and aren't explaining clearly how things are going to be.

Wikipedia puts it in a nutshell:

Region locking

According to Joel Johnson of Wired News, Nintendo of America's Vice President of Marketing & Corporate Affairs Perrin Kaplan stated at the September 14 press event in New York that Wii will be able to play games from other regions unrestricted, and implied that there may be an option for publishers to enable regional lockouts. According to later report by IGN, Nintendo UK General Manager David Yarnton confirmed at the September 14 press event in London that Wii games and online content will be region-coded, seemingly contradicting the earlier statements by Kaplan.

It is yet to be clarified exactly by Nintendo if every Wii will be region coded everywhere or just Europe. This would mean the US and Japan being under the same region code and European games being seperate.

Ludwig Kietzmann of Joystiq, a video game blog, reported late on September 15 that they had spoken to "a Nintendo US spokesperson" who stated, "We've heard conflicting reports from lots of folks out there, but can tell you that Wii will be region encoded, as will first-party software."

So either Nintendo won't even come and tell us specifics, or the European and US heads are really poorly informed. Remember that the NoE guy flatly denied a DS redesign right before it was announced.