TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

IIRC Wii is 720p...

BUZZ

Correct answer is: 480p or DVD resolution utilizing the component cables

The big question I have is, what 3 games warrant being bought if I go to Target to take advantage of the gift card with 3 games deal. Zelda, Red Steel and ??

I was thinking Madden but I haven't heard anything about it.

On the Hi-Def thing: Nintendo claims there isn't enough of a market demanding it now, plus they're marketing to a lot of people who don't care about Hi-Def anyway. It will save developers money, too.

On availability: Nintendo claims a million North American consoles at launch, with regular shipments after that (a fellow from Gamestop says probably weekly shipments). If you show up on launch day at a big retailer you should get one.

Weekly shipments of 100,000 - 200,000 units.

Terriffic, although I want it first week. For Zelda obviously, but also because I do *not* want to have to be doing much shopping after Black Friday. The PS3 nonsense has already made going to the big retailers a real mess.

The buzz for the Wii is all about the revolutionary control scheme while the marketing genius at Sony decided to drive up demand of the PS3 by keeping the supply low building up hype by word of mouth through fanboys that it is a must have ultimate super duper mega hub of Sony Computer Electronic Entertainment. I'm sure you will be able to find a Nintendo console the day before and after Xmas.

the marketing genius at Sony decided to drive up demand of the PS3 by keeping the supply low

Yeah, I'm sure they wanted to do the same thing for the Blu-Ray players. ;)

It's an INDUSTRY-WIDE blu-ray diode shortage, raza. Sony doesn't have "enough," but neither do other companies.

And it's not a minor shortage, but a massive one.

Plus, you seem to forget that Sony is banking on the included Blu-Ray drive big time to sell movies on. Sony would have to be Sega-level retarded to be doing an artificial shortage at this point.

I do believe that Sony has/will have plenty more than the launch ps3s available shortly after, but it's still going to be a pathetic amount.

I just have missed that fanboy WOM, though. All I hear about is people selling the PS3 online.

Im convinced that Target will be the best place here to go for a W!!. First of all, supposedly the Target here is getting 33 which is nice to know semi-for sure how many they are getting. Next, theres a Wal Mart, Best Buy and Circuit City within 5 minutes of the Target (and each other) and they are all selling at midnight, whereas Target wont open til the morning. Theres also a TRU about 5 minutes away which will be opening at the same time and rumored to have more than they allowed preorders for, but after standing in line there for a preorder and not getting it, I dont have any faith in my TRU here having more than a couple despite rumors. I doubt anyone will be standing in line at Target prior to those stores selling out at midnight. Im figuring on having to be there about 5 am and I should be able to get one even if a few people from other stores go to Target as a last chance shot.

AndrewTS, Sony did the same thing with the PS2 and I'm sure the shortage of chips was strategically done so the movie industry can play catch up to build a video library full of brand names that people want to repurchase :P

AndrewTS, Sony did the same thing with the PS2 and I'm sure the shortage of chips was strategically done so the movie industry can play catch up to build a video library full of brand names that people want to repurchase :P

And this headed up by Ronald McDonald.

Click here for the IGN Rayman Raving Rabbids review. It sounds pretty solid with a score of 8.3 out of 10.

Closing Comments

Rayman Raving Rabbids is a gamble for Ubisoft because it is so dramatically different from its predecessors. It's not a platformer, but don't let that deter you because it is still easily one of the better games available for Nintendo's new generation system this year. Ubisoft understands that Wii is about new ways to play and it has with Rabbids created a title that utilizes the Wii remote 70 times over. The majority of minis in the title are fun whether you're playing by yourself or with friends, although there are the occasional duds. The biggest drawback is that many of the minis are not designed for simultaneous play; instead you go in sequence. But even with that being true the experience is still engaging and addictive and the title's sense of humor is in a league of its own. It is almost unfair to label this effort a Rayman game because the real stars of the project are the bunnies, whose blank faces and inevitable agonized screams will make you laugh over and over again.

And while I'm at it, the following was posted at CAG:

Originally Posted by BlaqRenaissance;2376311

Mailman delivered my January 07 issue of Nintendo Power today.

Twilight Princess is the cover story and there is a 12 page article that I can't read until I've played the game.

Wii Sports: 8.0 / 8.5

Splinter Cell DA: 6.0

Rayman RR: 7.5

Zelda TP: 9.5

CoD3: 6.5

Madden 07: 8.5

Monster 4x4: 6.5

Marvel UA: 8.0

GT Pro Series: 5.0

Need for Speed Carbon: 7.5

Rampage TD: 6.5

Red Steel: 8.0

Trauma Center SO: 8.5

Metal Slug Anthology: 8.0

Tony Hawk DJ: 7.5

Excite Truck: 8.5

SMB BB: 8.5

DBZ T2: 9.0 (for DBZ fans) / 6.0 (everybody else)

Spongebob: 7.0

Happy Feet: 4.5

Well, here I am without a Wii pre-order yet and Red Steel and Zelda are on the way to me from Family Video (about $40 each after the coupon). I don't want to have two games with no system to play em on!

Guest Smues

I asked some employees at my local Walmart how they'll be handling the Wii launch (if I have to wait outside or in the electronics department or what) but they didn't know yet. They assumed it'd be like the Ps3 launch with raffle tickets. It's fair I guess and I didn't plan to wait outside for a long period of time anyway, but I hate raffles

My hunt for the Wii will happen on EARLY Sunday morning. I will post details about the "Hunt fo the Wii" after I get back.....unless I find one, then it might be really later in the day.

I'm considering the early Sunday morning thing, too. Really, only Wal-mart is doing the midnight thing near me, and they'll be pounced upon by other folks.

I'm probably going to hit up Target or Sears.

Oh--Red Steel got a varitalk, so you can have the sensei make a wiseass call to your friends:

http://redsteel.varitalk.com/

I'm sure this has been at least semi-discussed, but I didn't really see it through my page-sifting:

My co-workers and I tried to figure out how the controller is going to work, exactly. From what I understand, there's a motion-sensor (the part of the controller that has the joystick on it) and the other half that looks like a DVD remote.

From what we gathered, we need to hold the hang on to the DVD remote, and the other acts as, say, my golf club? Where we really got confused was dealing with that racing title that comes with the steering wheel (Was it Ridge Racer?), in which the DVD remote was placed into a mount in the centre of the wheel.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, or it has been discussed before, but I'm gonna need to know for work and launch on Sunday morn...and I didn't want to go to the flame war that is Gamefaqs.

no, the remote is the one with the motion sensor on it. For, say, baseball, you would swing the remote.

The joystiq (or "nunchuck" as ppl refer to it) part i think also also has a motion sensor, but that part attaches to the remote. The remote is the main thingie.

I was originally planning on heading to the local Future Shop sometime Sunday morning and scoping out what was going on outside, then go from there. If things looked good, I would go use my store card and pick one up with Zelda. If things looked bad, I would just leave.

Now I'm thinking I might just not go. I just got FF XII and SvR2007 recently and they've been keeping me pretty busy, Zelda would just complicate matters. Since supply is allegedly going to be so good, I'm thinking I might just order one online in the near future and have it arrive whenever.

Then again, I still might try for Sunday.

no, the remote is the one with the motion sensor on it. For, say, baseball, you would swing the remote.

The joystiq (or "nunchuck" as ppl refer to it) part i think also also has a motion sensor, but that part attaches to the remote. The remote is the main thingie.

Why would I need the joystiq then? Are not all games compatible with the motion sensor, or are they just giving people an option to not use the new interaction style?

Why would I need the joystiq then? Are not all games compatible with the motion sensor, or are they just giving people an option to not use the new interaction style?

More complicated games will use the nunchuck attachment as well as the Wiimote. Zelda and Red Steel use the nunchuck, because the control stick on the nunchuck is used for regular movement.

Also, many games will support the Gamecube controller as well.

More complicated games will use the nunchuck attachment as well as the Wiimote. Zelda and Red Steel use the nunchuck, because the control stick on the nunchuck is used for regular movement.

That doesn't really help much, as that was the worst controller known to man.

The Wavebird was awesome

I'm still shocked that people will fork over 600 bucks, and you can get the same graphics for a regular X-Box for dirt cheap.

Yeah--you don't really know what you're talking about.

Yeah, you got a little mislead, Baron.

Wii's 280 MSRP for a machine, controller and Wii Sports. The bundle (I think it was Andrew) spoke of was a Wal*mart bundle with like eight games. Yeah, it's gonna be graphically like a first-gen system, but the interactivity of that trumps that, IMO.