TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Guest Smues

And on the other end of the spectrum there are people in the comments under that video bitching that they won't buy the game unless Nintendo releases it on an NES cart.

And on the other end of the spectrum there are people in the comments under that video bitching that they won't buy the game unless Nintendo releases it on an NES cart.

Something tells me they may have put those manufacturing machines away a while back.

I for one, loved the NES. But let's be perfectly honest, the NES had a lot of great games, a ton of decent games, and a metric fuck-ton of absolute dog-shit. That makes sense, really, because there probably at least 5000 games released for the system.

I'm cautiously optimistic based on the footage for that new MegaMan game.

every system fits what you just described, kristi.

Except the N-Gage

or the Virtual Boy.

They didn't get a metric fuckton of games, and 0 good games.

Anyways, I think the new point of this thread is that Anya is an idiot.

Wow. I like cinematic action games and fighting games. That I wouldn't like NES should not be outrageous.

There's nothing unreasonable about not caring for old graphics either. I love Street Fighter II, doesn't mean I want to play SF IV with CPS1 level animation.

The first time Capcom updated MM we got MMX, one of my favorite games of all time.

Guest Smues
every system fits what you just described, kristi.

Except the N-Gage

or the Virtual Boy.

They didn't get a metric fuckton of games, and 0 good games.

Anyways, I think the new point of this thread is that Anya is an idiot.

I don't know about the N-Gage, but the Virtual had a few good games. Mario Tennis and the Wario game were really good, and I also enjoyed virtual pinball, the boxing game, and Red Alert. There were good games, the system just sucked so much ass.

The upside of MM9 being like this is that the classic games' gameplay will be preserved. 7 was okay, but it was doomed to be looked at as a step back from X anyway. They tried to mix it up by making the sprites huge and detailed (if cartoony), and throwing in all the various Rush gimmicks, but MM was stuck with the traditional play mechanics of the old games otherwise. However, he moved slow and controlled like molasses. He was nowhere near as responsive as in the NES games.

MMX has an overall slower MM than in the classics (compare how they jump, for instance), but the addition of new play mechanics (dashes and wall cling) made it feel like quite a different beast and made it fresh and new.

MM8 tried to compromise, by having lots of detailed animation and cartoony characters, and having a similar feel to the X games, but lacking X's trademark moves. Didn't really feel like a classic MM game, either. Neither did Megaman & Bass, but I honestly don't like that game at all anyway. Seemed to be just like MM7 but with less polish.

I think Capcom should try to throw in some incredible surprises in the graphics. Like super-detailed and animated backgrounds and special effects, that will not detriment the gameplay but still add graphic pizazz. Compare this to Wario Shake, and the difference is quite staggering.

Anya does love to troll Nintendo. Of course, this is a Capcom game, but how *dare* Nintendo allow it on WiiWare. Even though, you know, they're doing Wario Shake, which appears to be old school and graphically great.

It's not trolling if it's my serious(and completely rational) opinion. I can't be held responsible because some can't even handle a 20 year old Nintendo console being criticized.

I'm looking forward to the NES style but that's because I'm a nostalgia mark. Anya's points don't her an idiot or wrong or right - it's just a preference. It is hard to deny that if you were to say, oh, that 90% or more of NES games aged horribly, especially compared to 16 bit titles, you would be right. An old friend of the VG folder and I have conversed about this on IRC a few times recently.

Anya doesn't own a Wii and never will, however. She has no actual stake in the way the game comes out. She's just whining because she likes getting a rise out of Nintendo fans.

The changes made in SFIII didn't detriment the gameplay--quite the opposite, so her strawman argument falls a little flat. Anyone who has played SF3, or at least one of its updates shouldn't find it it be a massive disappointment compared to 2. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would say MM7 and MM8 were steps in the right direction as far as keeping original Mega Man viable.

Also, Capcom already tried original Mega Man with updated visuals. It came on out PSP and bombed. That was virtually a given, considering the platform (it would have made a killing on DS, I believe), but Capcom decides to interpret sales data in some silly ways sometimes.

I'm not saying the actual approach isn't disappointingly spartan--it is, since there's much that can be done without hurting the gameplay. However, it's ultimately a decision Capcom went with to go deliberately retro. Whine to Capcom about it, don't whine about a dead system that was fucking ace when it was out and has 20+ year old games that are still worth playing today.

What I'd like to see from Capcom more than anything else MM-related, is a new Demon's Crest/Gargoyle's Quest game, preferably with at least Demon's Crest-level art and graphics.

What are you talking about? I love Mega. That's my stake, that's why I care. You know this. Sure I hate Nintendo but this is about Capcom. I haven't posted in this thread in like a YEAR. Why would I come in to randomly troll Nintendo? No, this seriously bothers me. I cried about it to you privately!

It's silly to suggest a 9 with modern graphics would have the same flaws as 7 and 8. It could be responsive and have positive changes. I don't even mind old school gameplay that much. It could play the same but look modern and be cool, like SF II HD Remix.

I didn't whine to NES, I said that I don't feel nostalgic over it. Which is partly why I don't like this.

don't whine about a dead system that was fucking ace when it was out and has 20+ year old games that are still worth playing today.

truer words have never been typed...there are still TONS of games beyond just Nintendo's own titles that are a blast to play even to this day:

Ninja Gaiden 1

Ninja Gaiden 2

Bionic Commando

Strider

GI Joe

GI Joe 2

Duck Tales

Rescue Rangers

Megaman 1 thru 6

Castlevania

Castlevania 3

Contra

Super C

Gradius

Life Force

Double Dragon 2

River City Ransom

Renegade

Batman

Baseball Stars

Battletoads

Code Name: Viper

Ikari Warriors

Guerilla War

Commando

Golgo 13

Wizards & Warriors

Metal Gear

Tecmo Bowl

sheesh, should I continue? again, that list does NOT include Nintendo's own myriad of great games.

Has the system aged? Sure it has, it's 24 years old, but to say it mostly sucked is one of the silliest things I've read in a long long time. It sucked compared to what? Sega's Master System? TODAY'S generation of consoles?

I agree with Anya.

As long as they can preserve the gameplay (?) of the originals (the only pre-X megaman games I played were on the gameboy, and I dunno if they were the same) why not give it at least SNES graphics.

It sucked compared to what? TODAY'S generation of consoles?

Yes, or rather the late SNES/PSX era and on. So I'll be more accurate. Video games in general mostly sucked back then.

Out of your list there's only like 4 I'd care to play today and even then it'd be like a quick playthrough once every couple of years kind of thing. I don't particularly like 2D platformers and side scrolling shooters. The type of game experience I love wasn't even possible back then. So while it was the best in gaming at that time, I guess, it still isn't something I look back on fondly like most of you do. My nostalgic period is from like 1993-1999.

For the record just because I don't like the retro graphics doesn't mean it wouldn't be a day one purchase for me if it came out on XBLA or PSN.

I agree with Anya.

As long as they can preserve the gameplay (?) of the originals (the only pre-X megaman games I played were on the gameboy, and I dunno if they were the same) why not give it at least SNES graphics.

Prrrrrobably because the majority of people remember the NES era of Mega Man games the most and are more fond of that era in the series. I can ask ANY of my friends (both active and former gamers) what their favourite MM game was and ALL of them would say Mega Man 2.

PERSONALLY, I loved the SNES over the NES, but that doesn't mean that the NES sucked. I have more fond gaming memories from the SNES.. but that goes by genre and series.. my favourite Mega Man experiences will always be on the NES.. my favourite Final Fantasy experiences will always be on the SNES.. and so-on.

BTW the 4 I said I'd play now are Double Dragon 2, River City Ransom, MM1-6 and Guerilla War. Maybe Rescue Rangers and Contra too.

I'd play some of the others if I could use a Game Genie or save states. That fixes one of the worst problems of NES era games, they're way too difficult(but have no real depth and the challenge is frustrating instead of satisfying). Finite lives and continues was a terrible tradition that never should have applied to console games. Megaman having a long energy bar, frequent health pickups and infinite continues was partly what made it so awesome.

As for MM2...yeah it's great but it does have some dumb stuff. Why is the Metal Blade so good? The Wily stage boss with a bunch of walls you HAVE to use bombs on is the worst in the series. Just terrible design, based entirely on your weapon energy not skill. I honestly can't pick a favorite classic MM. They're all really good. They tend to bleed together for me, when I play one I will them all back to back.

Personally, I don't give a shit about Mega Man 9 anyways. Where I come from, you know what we call it when a new Mega Man game comes out?

We call it Wednesday.

Well, for MM9 and the other WiiWare game I'm planning on getting, "Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People", at least I've already stocked up on Wii Points.

That just leaves me needing to save money for "Wario Land: Shake It!"

On another subject...WHY HAVEN'T THEY RELEASED MARIO RPG FOR VIRTUAL CONSOLE YET? ;_;

As for MM2...yeah it's great but it does have some dumb stuff. Why is the Metal Blade so good?

Wait, you're actually complaining about that?

MM2 was partly so awesome because the weapons were actually useful outside of the context of fighting a boss. The best of the classic MM games and X games do this. It's one of the best things that MM8 had going for it, too.

Megaman having a long energy bar, frequent health pickups and infinite continues was partly what made it so awesome.

Remember passwords, too.

Personally, I don't give a shit about Mega Man 9 anyways. Where I come from, you know what we call it when a new Mega Man game comes out?

We call it Wednesday.

Mega Man side scrollers aren't nearly that prevalent, however.

Let's not act like Star Force/Battle Network actually play anything like Mega Man side scrollers.

Also, there's major gameplay differences between OG MM, 8, MMX series, Zero series, and ZX series.

Sorry if I'm actually informed about game series I like instead of making blanket statements.

I don't know if Anya has ever played an Inticreates Mega Man, though.

I'd play some of the others if I could use a Game Genie or save states. That fixes one of the worst problems of NES era games, they're way too difficult(but have no real depth and the challenge is frustrating instead of satisfying).

Most of the games you mentioned actually have those same marks against them. Contra has the code but that's not the normal game allotment. DD2 has finite lives and continues. River City Ransom has a password save but you lose your money and stuff.

I agree with a lot of what you have to say here, although the best games are designed so that these issues are non-existent or minimized.

Zelda has saves.

The Marios have warps and shortcuts.

Castlevania has infinite continues (at least 1 and 3, I loathe 2)

Ninja Gaiden had infinite continues (hell, it was pretty much Ninjavania anyway)

Sunsoft Batman--infinite continues

Crystalis-- saves

Punch-Out -- passwords

Metal Storm -- passwords

Metroid -- passwords, although imperfect (you have to refill your life meter)

With the sequels, that's well over a dozen games not counting the ones you listed. Very few of the ones Lushus mentioned suffer from those problems (Golgo 13 had unlimited continues, although I think that was a game I'd be hard pressed to call good, but it's still strangely awesome).

Nearly all of the Capcom games have some sort of password or are well balanced, plus many of them have a built-in level select (the Ducktales games and Darkwing Duck let you pick any stage. I *think* they all have passwords too).

She seems to act like she doesn't get it but it seems she does. People aren't necessarily nostalgic for NES as much as they are for NES Mega Man. However, YES, the NES had plenty of bad games and most of those bad games are bad because of really bad design decisions. So?

WHY HAVEN'T THEY RELEASED MARIO RPG FOR VIRTUAL CONSOLE YET? ;_;

Because Geno doesn't wear pants.

We call it Wednesday.

Mega Man side scrollers aren't nearly that prevalent, however.

Let's not act like Star Force/Battle Network actually play anything like Mega Man side scrollers.

Also, there's major gameplay differences between OG MM, 8, MMX series, Zero series, and ZX series.

Sorry if I'm actually informed about game series I like instead of making blanket statements.

Maybe so, but it's hard to get hyped up over ANY kind of Mega Man game when the damn cow has been milked to death.

Then had it's corpse gang-raped by a gang of clowns.

Then served up as burgers with special sauce.

I think you're missing the point that this game is clearly not even marketed at people who are even exposed to any of the other MM games (aside maybe the X series). I've never touched a Star Force or Battle Network game, nor have I seen any of the Zero or ZX games.. I've only played the first series and a few of the X games.. hardly a milked cow from my vantage point.

Even if you've never even TOUCHED any of the Mega Man spinoff games, you should still be concerned. With how quickly they pump out Mega Man games in order to make a quick buck, what exactly makes you think that they're going to take their time to make sure this one is any good? Unless I'm mistaken, all that's been shown is a couple of screenshots, and about 20 seconds worth of gameplay footage.

Maybe so, but it's hard to get hyped up over ANY kind of Mega Man game when the damn cow has been milked to death.

(more dumb analogizing follows)

With how quickly they pump out Mega Man games in order to make a quick buck, what exactly makes you think that they're going to take their time to make sure this one is any good?

Mega Man 9 is developed by IntiCreates, who developed the excellent Zero and ZX games, which IMO absolutely trounce X5-X8 and are par with the best games from any of the continuities. Their Zero games were a bit niche, however, because they started out brutally hard, although they scaled it back in later games and the ZX series.

Again, I repeat:

Admittedly, I'm a person who appreciates a little more of a great game series, even if each new game doesn't reinvent the damn wheel.

However, I'd like another Legends game, myself.

I loved the original Mega Mans on the NES, I've just lost all interest in it since. Maybe I'll pick it up if it gets good reviews.

I'm just not gonna get myself hyped up for it.

Even if you've never even TOUCHED any of the Mega Man spinoff games, you should still be concerned. With how quickly they pump out Mega Man games in order to make a quick buck, what exactly makes you think that they're going to take their time to make sure this one is any good? Unless I'm mistaken, all that's been shown is a couple of screenshots, and about 20 seconds worth of gameplay footage.

The footage and screenshots were enough to convince my that I'm buying it and giving it a fucking chance instead of pre-judging it and pissing and moaning all the way home.

You haven't played Mega Man X? Or didn't like it?

Never really liked X. I don't really remember why at this point though, it's been a while.