TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

The local Gamestops around here are reserving the game out like crazy...the guy told me yesterday if I'm going to buy from them, which I intend to do since I'm trading in, I better do it now.

That's not a rating, it's how many copies will sell.

No More Heroes exceeded expectations, though!

Madworld totally gets 50 theoretical internet dollars from me--I would spend it if I still had a Wii.

ONM gave it 85%

Said it was great fun, very funny and looks great. Just a bit repetative.

Doesn't matter, traded 3 games in that were collecting dust and only had to pay $10 for the rest, will be picking it up tomorrow...minor review to you guys by tomorrow evening.

Ffom one rumored survival horror remake to another...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/08/rumor-ca...-make-march-12/

Keep in mind, the quote from the Capcom dude didn't necessarily say it would be a remake. It could be a sequel. Or it could be a cheap port like they did with RE1 and RE0 in Japan. Hopefully not. Since I've never played Code Veronica, I wouldn't mind a remake, but I'd rather have something new, OK?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/961/961334p1.html

Ugh. Another on-rails shooter. Just what we all wanted.

20090311-resident_evil_darkside.jpg

Good railshooters are fun. I don't see the gripe. Sure, we don't want a shitty one.. but so far Umbrella Chronicles and the House of the Dead Series were great, IMO. At least its a genre of game that I can finally play with my girlfriend at the same time instead of her just watching me play something like Resident Evil or Dead Space on my own.

Ffom one rumored survival horror remake to another...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/08/rumor-ca...-make-march-12/

Keep in mind, the quote from the Capcom dude didn't necessarily say it would be a remake. It could be a sequel. Or it could be a cheap port like they did with RE1 and RE0 in Japan. Hopefully not. Since I've never played Code Veronica, I wouldn't mind a remake, but I'd rather have something new, OK?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/961/961334p1.html

Ugh. Another on-rails shooter. Just what we all wanted.

20090311-resident_evil_darkside.jpg

And based on RE2. I'm sold. It was my one big complaint against Umbrella Chronicles.

Anyways, cool new game Muramasa.

Video

From ONM:

We'd heard a lot about Muramasa: The Demon Blade but we wanted to reserve judgment until we finally got to play it. Now we've had a go at a very early version we can safely say that this is something worth getting excited about. Not only does it look incredible, it's also got a fluid, responsive combat system which makes each battle feel like an epic movie fight.

Muramasa has its roots planted in historical Japan. That's not to say it's particularly faithful to the country's history, just that the game's story is based on ancient Japanese mythology.

It's set during the Genroku era, which took place between 1688 and 1704, during the reign of Emperor Higashiyama (remember him? Of course you do) and it involves Togukawa Tsunayoshi, who was a real-life shogun (a governing lord). So far, so realistic. In the game's story, Togukawa ends up in an argument over the Demon Blades, a set of extremely powerful swords which are cursed and said to lead to madness and tragedy.

As the conflict continues, the blades summon all sorts of enemies from the netherworld, as well as demon and dragon gods. That's the unrealistic part. Not that we're complaining: all this extra demon stuff gives the player a chance to kick a hefty portion of enemy rumpus.

You can play as one of two characters, and each has their own story and path through the game's various levels. Kisuke is a young ninja who has lost his memory. He starts off in Edo (or Tokyo as it's known these days) and makes his way across Japan in an attempt to get to Kyo (now called Kyoto). Then there's Momohime, a young kunoichi (a female ninja) who, clad in a fancy kimono, is trying to make the opposite journey and travel from Kyo to Edo.

A Cut Above

So what's the problem? Well, those pesky bad guys and demons of course. As you walk through each level you have to dish out sizeable helpings of pain in order to take out the various enemies in your way. That's where the fun starts, because the game's combat system is just so intuitive that you can create some truly fantastic-looking attacks with relative ease. Your character also holds two swords, which can be switched with the press of a button and allow for different types of attack. One sword is a lighter, quicker blade which does less damage but allows for more agility, while the other is a larger sword which does loads of damage but takes longer to swing and can make you vulnerable to attack. There are over 100 different swords which can be collected throughout the game, each of which have their own strengths and weaknesses.

All that and we haven't even touched on the main aspect of the game: its graphics. Simply put, Muramasa is absolutely stunning to watch. The hand-drawn character sprites are fantastically animated and when mixed with the impressive pseudo-3D backgrounds it's truly a sight to behold. Safe to say, there's nothing like this on Wii and fans of stylish, artistic games will be in for a treat.

screenshot_16196.jpg

screenshot_16195.jpg

Ghost Squad is another good rail shooter and you can find it for super cheap these days.

Okay, played through the first boss on MadWorld...this game is fucking awesome. So many fun ways to dispatch your enemies, you get bonus points for creativity. Example: encase your enemy in a tire, then impale him with a sign post, then impale him on to a wall of spikes, THEN chop him up with your chainsaw for shits and giggles. You can give guys swirlies, dump then in to burning oil cans, shit like that.

It's basically a sandbox type game though I haven't seen any actual "missions" yet. You go around killing until you earn enough points to battle the boss. I can see where people may find this repetitive. Along the way, you are given special challenges that you locate on the map. The first challenge was hurling as many bad guys as you can in to this giant turbine engine looking thing. Second challenge was lining bad guys on to a train track for a spiked up train to plow through. These appear to be the multiplayer mini-games as well.

You use the chainsaw by holding the B button down and then swinging the Wiimote, you press A for a standard punch attack and you have a B button and an A button "finisher" move, meaning you hold either button down when prompted. Of course you can use almost anything as a weapon.

I'm having loads of fun murdering people in strange ways. Of course it's over the top, it's silly, but it's fun as shit. The black and white is taking some getting used to, though. It's a purchase for sure, not just a rental.

Did anyone pick up Dead Rising? I'm playing it now.. it's pretty fun. I don't have a 360 so I can't compare it to the original. The fucking parrots are annoying as hell.. but so is my cat who keeps jumping in front of the TV to chase the crosshair. :P

Any tips for getting the Wii to look half decent on a widescreen HD tv?

I use component cables for mine and it looks okay. Well, games look a million times better than the Wii menu itself.. it's pretty fuzzy even on component. Other than that, I have no idea. I really wish they'd had optional HDMI capabilities on this system.

Any tips for getting the Wii to look half decent on a widescreen HD tv?

I use component cables for mine and it looks okay. Well, games look a million times better than the Wii menu itself.. it's pretty fuzzy even on component. Other than that, I have no idea. I really wish they'd had optional HDMI capabilities on this system.

Aye I noticed that. Wasn't so bad once started to play.

The only thing I'm sad about RE2 being made into a rail shooter is that one of the rumours I heard it was getting a remake on the wii (like RE1 got on the GC) in the style of RE4. It would be awesome if both came out, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

I haven't played House of the Dead: overkill yet. I was in a gamestore yesterday that had it preowned for €25 but when I went back today it was gone. Gambling never works.

The only thing I'm sad about RE2 being made into a rail shooter is that one of the rumours I heard it was getting a remake on the wii (like RE1 got on the GC) in the style of RE4. It would be awesome if both came out, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

I would both hate and love this.

Why don't they just update Resident Evil Survivor?

Because if there's anything that the Wii needs, it's PS1 ports of games nobody liked anyway.

Because if there's anything that the Wii needs, it's PS1 ports of games nobody liked anyway.

Hence I said update, not port.

British Wii Price Increase Inbound

Nintendo has told VG247 it hopes consumers will “understand” that it has to raise the trade price of Wii in order to combat depreciation in the pound.

The company confirmed today it’s raising the price of the machine by between £18-20, but insisted that any knock-on effect to consumers will be the fault of retailers.

Here’s what we asked, here’s what Nintendo said.

VG247 - Won’t this force retailers to raise the price of the British Wii?

Nintendo UK: That’s entirely up to retailers. it is illegal for ANY manufacturer to set or fix retail prices. Retail price is ALWAYS set by the retailer. It is up to them what they then price Wii at following the increase in trade price.

Do you expect the move to result in a decline in demand?

Clearly, we hope that consumers will continue to enjoy the entertainment benefits of Wii. We have made this move reluctantly, and hope that consumers and retailers understand that the reasons are beyond our control.

How do you expect retailers to react to the move?

We have made this move reluctantly, and hope that retailers understand that the reasons are beyond our control.

There’s no word yet on when any price hike will come into place.

Fucking British economy.

Hence I said update, not port.

Sounds you meant a "remake."

BTW, did anyone see South Park this week?

Because if so, I just want to say...today I learned there's a Grey's Anatomy game for the Wii.

Yeah. I guess that figures. It's the Wii.

Resident Evil: Survivor was awesomely bad because it was not only a bad light gun game, but it didn't use the light gun! The controls were awful, the voice acting and dialog were bad even by Resident Evil standards, and the plot was stupid. I'm Vincent! No wait I'm not! Am I? And did I mention it was supposed to use the light gun but didn't? I rented it two times, the second just to see if it was as bad as I first thought. A Wii port would actually be playable because of the Wiimote as gun, so fuck that let it stay as an awful awful only PS1 game. The sequel for the PS2 on the other hand was quite decent.