TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

The Things That Anger You Thread.

In a broad way, the Mormon religion annoys me... sort of... but all the Mormons I've known have been great people.

Mormon's are really nice, but it's super annoying when they go door to door trying to convert pepole.

Fixed. Ain't no Mor-man's.

And I resemble that remark. Funny story, one day the Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on the door of the apartment I was staying, took one look at me with my tie half on getting ready to go out and a Book of Mormon in hand to give them instead, said, "Nevermind," and walked off to the next apartment.

Brazilian J-dubs fear the Gringo Mormons.

Mormonism is a stupider system of belief than Scientology, but in truth I hate all religion. Mormonism (and Scientology) are at least funny. That's what's wrong with the Jews. Their religion is fucking boring. Yeah, the book might be somewhat interesting, but the Jews ain't shit.

I hate my fat 800 pound neighbor. He's somehow able to walk... without any fucking cane or walker... he bitches about everything and he takes care of his dogs worse than any wetback in the la area. they're constantly going into my backyard and they always jump in the pool... nothing worse than being awakened by some big ass great dane and rot bellyflopping in the pool at 4 am. this fat piece of shit is always snitching when I go out to smoke weed in the backyard. since i got a card though, cops dont do shit, and they said next time he calls they're giving his fatass a ticket for harassing the police or some shit. He's 45... I hope he gets that 3rd heart attack soon... hopefully it finishes this fat shit... 3rd times the charm.

Morman's are really nice, but it's super annoying when they go door to door trying to convert people.

Yeah, that's my main beef with them. A co-worker of mine who used to be a Mormon told me they take 15% of your paycheck once you join them. What kind of bullshit is that?

F-r-e-e, that spells free, credit report dot com, baby!

This was brought up I think, but I can't understate how much I despise the jingle.

On the other hand, it's good marketing, as I still remember it, even though I only heard it once....two months ago....in another country.

Morman's are really nice, but it's super annoying when they go door to door trying to convert people.

Yeah, that's my main beef with them. A co-worker of mine who used to be a Mormon told me they take 15% of your paycheck once you join them. What kind of bullshit is that?

15%? I call bullshit on that stat. He was making that up, the Church asks for 10% as an offering that's true, but it's to pay for things like building the chapel you attend, paying for the Books of Mormon that the missionaries give out and general up keep of Church buildings or to buy land to build churches and temples on.

Once you factor it in as a typical expense it's not even a big deal. And it's not "taken" you make it as an offering.

And still ain't no Mor-man's. It's pronounced Moore-mun if anything. And checking the name pronouncing guide in the back of the Book of Mormon... Mor-mun line over the o. Ain't no Mor-mans. :D

Don't defend tithing, dude. I know all about it, and I could talk about it, but I don't want to come off quite so harsh, especially to someone currently quoting me in his signature.

Let's just say that there's nothing good about it, but Mormons are far from the only organization that requires it. It isn't a "Mormon thing".

Yeah, I know some people don't dig tithing, it's not a big deal if it ain't your thing. I see where the Church uses it, and I don't mind giving up a small portion of what I earn to help pay for the Church's bills. If anything I like that it's a set rate, as opposed to some individual factions of religion I saw in Brazil that asked for people to sell furniture, cars, and other things as offerings.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings Milky. I was one of those annoying door knockers for two years, so unless you plan on doing something more than slapping me in the face and then spitting in my eye and telling me I'm going to burn in hell forever I think it's not going to bother me.

Also I was more upset that he was making the accusation of 15% "taken" like the Church sends out some sort of Mafioso kneebreakers to get the tithing. Like I said, it's an offering freely given. If you are going to stir up shit about the LDS Church at least get the facts right.

Let's just say that there's nothing good about it

I wouldn't go that far. I could spend all day bitching about the church I was forced to attend as a child, but their pseudo-tithing wasn't one of the bad points. Completely voluntary, no quota, give as much as you feel like, etc. Of course there was peer pressure and salesmanship, but it wasn't written into the rules that you had to donate a certain amount. And they put some of the money back into the community, running food drives for the poor, that kind of shit.

They also sent a bunch of missionaries out to former Warsaw Pact communist countries after the iron curtain fell. I'd normally count that as a waste of time and money, but not after having seen some of the video footage they brought back. They had people literally mobbing their trucks in giant crowds in a desperate attempt to grab the Bibles which the missionaries were handing out. It was like they were giving out shoeboxes full of money or something. And not like one guy grabbing as many as he could carry and then waltzing off to be a scriptural scalper and sell them across town, but each person Beatles Concerted to the front, grabbed one book, and walked away. Those Lithuanians really wanted them some religion.

That ain't tithing, mothafucka, that's free-will offering. A tithe, by definition, is one tenth of something.

As such, it is written into the rules... the Old Testament law. Tithing today is essentially an amalgam of the original concept and free-will offering, with the 10% being something of a "suggested donation", although it's often "suggested" in the same way that the Movementarians were free to leave whenever they wished. I've seen this happen.

Tithing, conceptually, is basically flirting with taking the 10%, on pain of hell sometimes, or just social pressure. Otherwise, leave percentage points out of it.

Okay, if you're just talking about the mandatory Pay Or BURN type of tithing, yeah you're right. Spiritual blackmail, plain and simple. A religion should make people want to do good, not force them to or else.

Following in Frogg's footsteps, getting the thread back on track.

Maybe it's just around here, but say I'm in a parking lot with just a general "enter-exit" without a marked turn lane or a clever island forcing the traffic flow. It's just the curb is lowered so you know that's where to enter and leave. Inevitably who ever is in front of me and is looking to turn out is the farthest in the opposite direction they are turning they can be. IE they are making a left hand turn, but block off the right handside so I have to wait for them to make their turn before leaving turning right. Or vice-versa.

This happens to me at least 3 times a week. And if it's a left hand turn person they don't think to turn into the suicide lane and then merge into the traffic so I end up sitting there for a good five minutes waiting for them to figure out that the lights are timed to shaft left hand turns in the BUTT unless you pull into the suicide lane.

I don't like the preachy signs a Bible Mission here always puts out. "You think it's hot here...", "Jesus died for your sins, not Santa" (where's the fun Christmas spirit in that? Jerks), etc. Basically I don't see why they have to be such downers to spread the good news.

They currently have a sign reading "Jesus is like Fire Insurance". I was actually going to complain about how I don't even GET that analogy, but bringing up last summer's "You think it's hot" sign made me realize it's about Hell. My original interpreation was they were saying Jesus was something that was a good idea to have in your life but had a low chance of being useful anytime soon. Clearly not something they were trying to say.

Church here had a banner a while back that said "THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO HARRY POTTER". I asked about it, they were using HP to make analogies to y'know... religion. Which is cool, that's better than saying that Harry would be put to death under God's law. That kind of thing is so missing the point, and making yourself look stupid, because you're implying that magic exists and that by summoning evil forces, you can legitimately practice sorcery. Believe me, if it were true, I'd have done it long ago.

Anyway, the thing that angers me is that I wanted to eventually try to obtain the banner from them when they were finished with it, but I never followed up on it. Not sure why. Drunk, probably.

Mormonism is a stupider system of belief than Scientology, but in truth I hate all religion. Mormonism (and Scientology) are at least funny. That's what's wrong with the Jews. Their religion is fucking boring. Yeah, the book might be somewhat interesting, but the Jews ain't shit.

You're talking out of your ass, here, Milk. You might not like it, but boring? Fuck off with all that. They get babies drunk and operate on their penises, dance with the Torah, have a religious holiday that most closely resembles Haloween... but with booze, have another holiday that celebrates god torturing Egypt... where they drink more booze, have ANOTHER holiday where they celebrate a guerilla warfare victory... no institutionalized booze here, but there is institutionalized gambling... on top of all this, the religion is approachable, debatable, it isn't up on a pillar. Scholars and rabbis and cantors and... fucking anyone are encouraged to read and interprate and discuss, which I suppose is boring if you're an idiot. They build houses out of plants once a year and hang vegetables from the roof, they bind themselves in leather and crazy hats and lean and bow while they pray, not to mention Kabalah and Jewish mysticism, which is fucking crazy, and makes allowances for golems and shit.

I'm not a religious Jew, I'm an athiest, and I generally dislike religion but I'll never understand the general texture of anti-semitism in the world. People bitch and bitch about the Jews, then you eat out of our hands.

You should know by now that I take the slightest opportunity to take a cheap shot at the Jews. It may interest you to know that I converted to Judaism once, so I therefore am a Jew forever, and it's ok for me to do this.

EDIT: Naaaaah.

This dude at my school wore a t-shirt that said Vote or Die, and was pretty much dressed like Diddy.

It didn't piss me off, per se, just kinda bummed me out.

Islam has a 'required' giving of funds to the poor and the 'church' (or whatever they call it) also.

it saddens me when people bash on religion as a whole. i'm not religious at all, but i'm not going to go around and bash on what other people need as a crutch to live.

....that was a bit of a bash in and of itself, wasn't it?

but anyway, can't people be not religious and NICE?

or just nice in general.

though i must say, the super religious people of the world seem the least nice people if them all, and they're the ones that are taught to love all. weird, huh?

imagine what it would be like if everyone was just... nice? and i don't mean making friends with everyone you meet and giving your shirt off your back. being nice as opposed to being grumpy, angry, and irritable all the time.

...is that a jab at me?

anyway, it would be nice, but then again, so would a lot of things that won't happen. Sad but true, but hey! There's always ONE place you can go:

disneyland-address.jpg

super-retard.JPG

DINEELAAAAANN!!

no, it's not a poke at anyone in paticular. i don't roll like that. if i had something to say about someone... i'd say it. omgwtfnowai.

Well...you're already better than half the population because of that, so kudos.

It's funny that you said that, btw, because that brings up something else:

Shit talkers piss me off. This one kid said something to this other guy in my class about how he thought I was gonna fail, and I overheard him say it. I said, "What was that?" and he was like, "Oh, nothing. I didn't say anything."

Bastard.

Guest !!!
I'll never understand the general texture of anti-semitism in the world. People bitch and bitch about the Jews, then you eat out of our hands.

It is puzzling stuff, but what exactly do you mean by "eat out of our hands"? Do you just mean selective bigotry?

One that I've never understood is Polish humor. Why is the joke that they're really stupid? In my experience, they're bright, just obsessed with cleaning. One time my mom told me I had no respect for her because I left a towel on the floor, or that she failed as a parent because I spilled some pepper on the counter and forgot to wipe it up.