TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

The Things That Anger You Thread.

Guest Smues

Fast food french fries. They're really good if fresh, but crap if they've been sitting around. True of most fast food I guess, but fries are the most extreme example. A McDonalds burger that's been kept warm for 5 minutes will waste just fine, the fries will suck. And the fact that you can't know until you get them. If I knew the fries were going to be fresh and great I'd buy the large, but I don't want to risk buying the large and getting soggy crap.

Also, the fact that eggnog is only available for about 6 months of the year.

Man, I know. I would drink some damn eggnog like every day of the week. Love that stuff.

Guest Israeli Mixed Wrestling

Yeah, really. When you start doing seasonal special things year round, they stop being special, and stop being good. If I could have pumpkin pie and egg nog in July, why would I look forward to winter? Why would I even want egg nog in July? It's heavy!

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Why would you want egg nog ever? Just one more thing to hate about Christmas.

Fast food french fries. They're really good if fresh, but crap if they've been sitting around. True of most fast food I guess, but fries are the most extreme example. A McDonalds burger that's been kept warm for 5 minutes will waste just fine, the fries will suck. And the fact that you can't know until you get them. If I knew the fries were going to be fresh and great I'd buy the large, but I don't want to risk buying the large and getting soggy crap.

If you go during a peak period you're guaranteed to get fresh fries because they're constantly making them.

Guest Israeli Mixed Wrestling

This hate for egg nog. Whence is it coming? I refuse to believe I'm reading this.

Guest Smues

Year round egg nog would be nice because then I can have some here and there throughout the year, and not feel like I need to gorge on it in December since it won't be available again for another year. It's not like I'd be drinking it non stop 365 days a year, it'd just be nice to be able to buy a quart every now and then. Cold egg nog in the hot summer would probably be pretty good.

Mine is simply one of those "Got really sick off egg nog/rum combo one year and can't go back" kinda deals. Before then I was a fan. Maybe one day I'll be strong enough for a second attempt.

Egg nog: Nasty goop, decent in small one-cup-a-week portions.

Things that anger me: Pets dying. Lost my dog Saturday morning, totally wrecked my weekend.

Things that upset me, but not in an overly angry way, but there's no "Things that upset you" thread so I threw them here: Now I'm all "Fuck, I don't want to sit around the house and mope for the next two weeks, I have to go out and do something", except in my holy-shit-my-pet's-dead depression I cancelled all my plans and bitches be pissed if they find out I bailed on them out of depression only to go hook up elsewhere.

You know what angers me? Not being able to find the right job. I wanted to be a journalist but I couldn't stand making peanuts for a living for the next 10 years while I paid my dues and waited for the old dudes at the top to die.

Then I got this job at Enterprise. And it pays better but it's fucking demeaning. I hate having to bow down to asshole idiotic customers. I hate having to kiss their ass to make them happy even though they're fucking morons. They don't see me as a professional with a college degree. They see me as the kid at McDonalds that's here to fill their order. I hate it. And I hate the hours.

But, when I sit here and think about jobs to do for someone with a degree in journalism (or just a degree for that matter) nothing comes to mind. Absolutely nothing pops into my head. I just can't think of any job I can do, no career path to go down. And it frustrates me to no end. I'd love to find another job using a journalism degree that actually pays. Or another job for someone that has a degree (any degree) where I'm not working 10.5 hours a day and dealing with fucking morons all day.

Damn. :(

I'm in the same boat Dama. I've been out of college for about a year without a decent lead. Tommorrow , I have a substitute teaching interview with my local school district and hopefully I get the job because I have been working at getting a job substitute teaching since March. I'm also studying to take the LSAT in December with the hope to go to law school, hopefully out of SoCal for a while. Anyways don't get too down because you are still young and I figure mostly everyone in our situation is struggling to find something they like to do post-grad. Just keep plugging away and don't be afraid go out of the comfort zone once in a while.

See that's the thing, I don't even know what to plug away at. I don't even know where to begin or where to look for well ANY job. Enterprise was really the only thing that came to mind before and that's why I'm doing it right now.

It's funny that you mention Enterprise because I was very close to getting a job there but was swayed when I found out the wage (30,000 is dick in SoCal), and found that failing enterprise site (I'm kinda cautious if a corporation has a hate site dedicated to it and some it sounded like bullshit but if there's smoke there's fire in my book). I don't know much about your situation, because I'm pretty fortunate to have stayed afloat this long, but maybe you can save up some dough and move out of Oklahoma to find a decent journalism job. You already have some experience writing and Enterprise will always be there, so why not. Better to chase your dreams than wonder "what if".

See that's the thing, I don't even know what to plug away at. I don't even know where to begin or where to look for well ANY job. Enterprise was really the only thing that came to mind before and that's why I'm doing it right now.

I'm going to copy what I wrote in your "Ever feel like you can't find the right job?" thread from June/July:

Tzar's suggestion about trying some middle-management slot at a big company/factory/warehouse/whatever is a good one. If you don't know what you really want to do, maybe look for local government jobs or work at a university. Tons of different kinds of positions that are probably pretty steady and reliable. Or, if you have a decent base of support from your family and can afford it, try an internship somewhere cool. It's worth 6 months of little money if you manage to get involved with something that really interests you.

I think it still applies. Enterprise obviously hasn't been a solution you really like, so try again. You're early in your career; figuring it out is what you're supposed to be doing.

If I knew the fries were going to be fresh and great I'd buy the large, but I don't want to risk buying the large and getting soggy crap.

Tell them you don't want any salt on your fries.

Since most fast-food places put salt on their fries as soon as they come out of the fryer, in order for them to give you fries without salt, they have to fry up a new batch.

If I knew the fries were going to be fresh and great I'd buy the large, but I don't want to risk buying the large and getting soggy crap.

Since most fast-food places put salt on their fries as soon as they come out of the fryer, in order for them to give you fries without salt, they have to fry up a new batch.

Exactly.

Also, not really anger, but mildly annoying that TacoTime near my house doesn't get the concept of "fast food." I walked in, there was one other guy who was just getting his food, nobody in the drive-up (they have a weird placement of their drive-thru which is easily seen from the main room) four people working and it too them 20 minutes to make my order of two soft chicken tacos and some Mexi-Fries.

I used to work at a locally owned knock off (you can see their prep area, it's exactly positioned like the one I used to work at) and after ten minutes of middle aged women piddling around I almost just asked if I could make my own food since they didn't seem too concerned about getting to it.

They are always insanely slow, and I keep meaning to swear them off forever, but Mexi-Fries sometimes demand to be eaten, and so I wind up going thru this same process every couple of months, and then avoiding them for awhile afterwards.

This motherfucker named Caesar Silva who has a similar number to mine. Every few months, I'll get a call from this old guy going "WHERE IS YOU?!" I have to keep telling him that I'm not Caesar, I've never been Caesar, and to get the number right. It's fantastic when I'm at work and pulled into a company meeting, phone on silent, and continuously getting a call from the same guy.

You think that's bad? My home number is one digit different from the number of a local Wal-Mart.

I remember when my parents were together we were getting calls for Todd and Linda. I'm assuming people were typing in 835 instead of 834

You know what angers me? Not being able to find the right job. I wanted to be a journalist but I couldn't stand making peanuts for a living for the next 10 years while I paid my dues and waited for the old dudes at the top to die.

Then I got this job at Enterprise. And it pays better but it's fucking demeaning. I hate having to bow down to asshole idiotic customers. I hate having to kiss their ass to make them happy even though they're fucking morons. They don't see me as a professional with a college degree. They see me as the kid at McDonalds that's here to fill their order. I hate it. And I hate the hours.

But, when I sit here and think about jobs to do for someone with a degree in journalism (or just a degree for that matter) nothing comes to mind. Absolutely nothing pops into my head. I just can't think of any job I can do, no career path to go down. And it frustrates me to no end. I'd love to find another job using a journalism degree that actually pays. Or another job for someone that has a degree (any degree) where I'm not working 10.5 hours a day and dealing with fucking morons all day.

Damn. :(

Bill Simmons was at the exact spot you're in around your age. It's all about carving out your own niche.

Guest Smues

Exactly.

Also, not really anger, but mildly annoying that TacoTime near my house doesn't get the concept of "fast food." I walked in, there was one other guy who was just getting his food, nobody in the drive-up (they have a weird placement of their drive-thru which is easily seen from the main room) four people working and it too them 20 minutes to make my order of two soft chicken tacos and some Mexi-Fries.

I used to work at a locally owned knock off (you can see their prep area, it's exactly positioned like the one I used to work at) and after ten minutes of middle aged women piddling around I almost just asked if I could make my own food since they didn't seem too concerned about getting to it.

They are always insanely slow, and I keep meaning to swear them off forever, but Mexi-Fries sometimes demand to be eaten, and so I wind up going thru this same process every couple of months, and then avoiding them for awhile afterwards.

Every Tacotime I've ever been to has been incredibly slow, but I've learned to just live with it and enjoy the MexiFries of awesomeness. I wish we had a TacoTime up here.

Guest Czecherbear
Bill Simmons was at the exact spot you're in around your age. It's all about carving out your own niche.

Yeah, Damz, you too can be a well-paid writer who isn't very good at his job. Tell me this: how grating is your voice?

Better be pretty damn grating if he wants to have his own podcast or appear on whatever Oklahoma's version of Around the Horn is. Okie Dokie or what have you.