TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

The Things That Anger You Thread.

Scroby: just take a whore bath. All you need is a wash cloth, soap, a little shampoo if your hair is nappy/greasy, and a bathroom sink of boiled water from the biggest bowl that'll fit in your microwave. If you have a pot that's bigger, then use that.

Guest Vitamin X
Why do you introduce yourself as from the state? Is that how it works down there? Up here in Canada we usually say what city we're from, not "I'm from Ontario" "I'm from Manitoba."

Maybe most people down there say what city they're from too, so when you say you're from New York they think you're talking about your city.

You know, I was just about to post something regarding that.

Why in the hell do people reference the state I'm from rather than the city? I didn't live in Florida, I lived in Miami. Implying "Oh yeah, you lived in Florida, so you know how it is." is saying that all of Florida is exactly the same. No, it isn't. Same thing with California, and even worse with Oregon. You're not going to compare Jacksonville to Miami, San Francisco to Bakersfield, or god forbid, Portland to fucking Medford or Bend.

I mean, I guess it works if you're talking to someone from a different country or something, then you tell them what city, but what city I've lived in has always been more important than what state. So if you say you're from New York, especially considering that it's, you know, the largest and most prominent city in the country, people have all the right in the world to assume you're from the city. Everyone I've met from New York that's not from the city says "Upstate" or "Syracuse" or "Buffalo" or whatever.

And as for cities that have repeat names, that's where you mention the whole thing- although when I say I'm from Portland in Florida, most people would assume Oregon that is if they knew that it existed. I had a girl in Miami ask me if Portland was in Ohio or in Missouri once- smart people down there.

I warmed up some left over taters at work today, and after I ate them, I poured a portion of my fresh rice into the tater bowl to warm up and eat. My co-workers freaked out that I would re-use my dish for 2 kinds of food.

Dips.

There are tons of cities in different states that have the same name, though.

For instance, I'm living in St. Albans, WV right now, but there's also a St. Albans in NY. And I think there's another one another state, but I wouldn't swear to it. And St. Albans, ya know, that's not a common name for a city at all, and there are multiple ones still. So with the more common names there are lots of multiples sometimes.

Charleston is another city name that's used in multiple states. And Springfield, there's one of those in every gotdamn state, pretty much. So that's why I always say the state. I usually say city, then state, though.

Yeah, we don't have that problem... I can't think of one repeat city in this country off the top of my head. Then again, we've only got like 10 cities in all of Canada! - Narf!

I know there's alot of "Bays" that people get confused. Thunder Bay, Terrace Bay, North Bay etc. Just in Ontario.

Guest Vitamin X

See, but here's the thing. If I tell someone I'm from Portland, and I'm anywhere near the West Coast, it's a pretty good chance I'm talking about the town in Oregon, not Maine. It probably works differently in New England, and that's fine. But if you say you're from a major city, say Charleston, I'm going to assume you're talking about South Carolina and not one of the other iterations. And if you're from a smaller city, you say what state it's in.

I don't know, I just think it's weird to reference someone or something by state and not by city. It's too large a region in most cases to make any sort of definition, and even large places like Texas and smaller states like Wisconsin are pretty different depending on what city you're in.

I guess it's just especially annoying when people refer to me as being "from Florida" because Miami is hardly like most of the state. Whereas you can sort of make an argument that most of Southern California is pretty much the same.

Charleston is the state capitol of WV, and it's not THAT far to SC, so it's having to Charlestons that are both pretty big cities in such a close proximity to each other.

I see what you're saying, and I agree. Like I said, I usually say St. Albans, WV. When I lived in Pittsburgh and St. Loius I didn't need to say the state after the city because those are the only cities with those names.

I'm just explaining to you why some people would say the state they're from, so that maybe you got one less thing that angers you.

That's my new gig. I'm gonna hang around this thread and help you all with whatever is angering you.

Guest Vitamin X
I see what you're saying, and I agree. Like I said, I usually say St. Albans, WV. When I lived in Pittsburgh and St. Loius I didn't need to say the state after the city because those are the only cities with those names.

Definitely. It'd be like asking you how life was in Pennsylvania for example, completely ignoring that Philly and Pittsburgh are two very different cities culturally (at least from what I understand), or Missouri instead of St. Louis. Saying you're from Ohio doesn't mean anything- you could be from anyone of a few cities that pop up to mind when I think of that state.. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton.. I don't know how many differences there are, but I'm sure they have them.

And that's what I mean by being an idiot and telling someone from out of state that you're from New York (state) but not from New York (city). It gets confusing here as well when people say they're from Washington- although most people would assume the state just 10 miles from where I'm sitting, it could also mean D.C... Although most people who are from D.C. just say DC, but I've heard them say Washington as well. Confusing.

So, the Adam Carolla Show is officially canceled as of yesterday, with the final show broadcasting tomorrow. Why? Because KLSX is switching over to a Top 40 format!

Really, the only good morning radio show is being canceled because the world is looking for yet another shitty, cookie-cutter top forty station?!?! This just pisses me right off.

Food poisoning.

A pox on McDonald's and their double cheeseburger that left me throwing up until 6 this morning and still leaving my stomach gurgling right now.

Food poisoning.

A pox on McDonald's and their double cheeseburger that left me throwing up until 6 this morning and still leaving my stomach gurgling right now.

I had to cover for a co-worker last week for three days because of Burger King. Note to anyone stopping in Cedar City, Utah for whatever reason. Do not eat at Burger King. He wasn't the first person I've heard of getting the magic shits after eating there.

Mellow refusing to budge on letting a few more people into the wrestling draft! Even after I did nifty calculations to show him that if he had 25 people and 35 rounds, everyone would have more than enough to fill their rosters and the draft wouldn't take any longer. He's just being stubborn. :angry:

I got one:

Going to an 18+ club and having to spent 15 minutes trying to explain to some bouncer that your ID is legit. My home state color codes licenses according to age level (under 18, under 21...etc.) and because of this, I didn't have the license that was in his little picture book (Since obviously an ID book would only have the over 21 license). This led to these exchanges:

Him: "So, where'd you get the ID?"

Me: "Department of Motor Vehicles"

---

Him: "Do you want me to call the police out here to run it?"

Me: "Go ahead!"

---

Him: "This doesn't look like you."

Me: "I got it when I was 16, obviously there are going to be changes."

So to appease the Rhodes Scholar in front of me, I produce a school ID and another membership card that I have. All with my picture and birthdate on it mind you. He still insists that I'm a minor. He eventually decided to let me in "against his best judgment."

This is why I prefer to party only on campus, you don't to deal with douchebag bouncers who lack common sense.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, that's yet another reason why clubs are pretty lame.

I always thought it stupid not to let minors into clubs where alcohol is served. As long as they're not getting drinks from the bar, who gives a shit? Put a stamp on the hand and move on.

Guest Czech please!
Why do we still have Daylight savings time? Spring ahead is fucking bullshit.

ING. Daylight SavING. You're "saving daylight," or rather just kinda offsetting it, but yeah. It's not a bank. You're wrong all over here, because standard time sucks and it's preferable to have daylight till like 8:30ish. You're high. Shut up.

I always thought it stupid not to let minors into clubs where alcohol is served. As long as they're not getting drinks from the bar, who gives a shit? Put a stamp on the hand and move on.

Yeah, my friend was pushing me to go because he figured that it'd be a change of pace from partying on campus. In hindsight though, I almost wish that the bouncer had called the cops out to run my license because then he would've looked like a giant jackass.

The only downside to partying on campus is that partying is usually restricted to frat houses and if you're looking to pick up women, that is an INCREDIBLE detriment because most women are only out to hook up with frat boy types (obviously) so if you don't fit that mold, it could be a long night. I'd add THAT to the list of things that anger me but it's more of an annoyance.

The worst part is that he's not even the youngest parent in U.K history. Kids over there are fucked.

It's a pity that I missed this when it was first posted. I've lived in the UK for my entire life, and I've never known anyone who's had a child before they were legal. You're making a massive generalisation!

Because it's too easy to get around it, and bars can close down for a while if they find out that some minors ordered drinks, or, worse yet, lose their liquor license.

Um, so you don't think they'd be getting drunk without getting drinks from the bar? They'd just have their friends who are of age get mixed drinks. Unless every single glass was marked as either a booze glass or otherwise (and assuming that they didn't figure this out and get one non-alcoholic drink, then pour their alcohol drinks into that), how would you be able to tell if someone with a stamped hand was drinking booze or something else?

Besides having your bouncers spend the whole night pestering people with stamps on their hands to make SURE they're not drinking booze, and that just sorta seems like a waste of time to me.

And yes, I am aware that they'll just get drunk at home, but that's way better from the bar's perspective. They don't need minors causing shit and getting the whole bar in trouble for illegally serving them liquor, even if they didn't intend to.

Hell, I can't really even imagine why you'd want to go to a club where you can't drink. I can barely stand to go to them when I can.

Edit: Beaten to the punch. Damn you.

The phrase "'nuff said." Not only is there the obnoxious abbreviation, but, enough usually hasn't been said, just one sentence you think is supposed to impress me. Or if it has been enough, then leave it at that, please.

- I just searched for the phrase on this forum, just to get annoyed even more.

Guest Vitamin X

Um, so you don't think they'd be getting drunk without getting drinks from the bar? They'd just have their friends who are of age get mixed drinks. Unless every single glass was marked as either a booze glass or otherwise (and assuming that they didn't figure this out and get one non-alcoholic drink, then pour their alcohol drinks into that), how would you be able to tell if someone with a stamped hand was drinking booze or something else?

Besides having your bouncers spend the whole night pestering people with stamps on their hands to make SURE they're not drinking booze, and that just sorta seems like a waste of time to me.

And yes, I am aware that they'll just get drunk at home, but that's way better from the bar's perspective. They don't need minors causing shit and getting the whole bar in trouble for illegally serving them liquor, even if they didn't intend to.

Hell, I can't really even imagine why you'd want to go to a club where you can't drink. I can barely stand to go to them when I can.

Edit: Beaten to the punch. Damn you.

I'll respond to this one because it was more specific.

Almost every club or bar I went to in California made it so that a bouncer at the door checked your ID, gave you a stamp if you were okay, and had you move along. The bartender, if they second guess the bartender's opinion, can still double check your ID or look at your stamp. Here in Oregon, just about anywhere that serves any kind of alcohol is off-limits to minors, meaning anyone under 21. This is, as you might imagine, is severely restrictive when it comes to a lot of adults that are still minors for alcohol wanting to go out and have a good night., while it's going to a show or dancing at a club they can't get into or whatever. What this has led to for a lot of kids is sitting around at their friend's houses or whatever, and finding other ways to get a cheap thrill, which leads to doing drugs for a lot of them. This isn't a good thing.

This is in that precarious time between turning 18 and 21 for the most part- you folks up there in Canada don't have to deal with this same bullshit. pbone seems to have misunderstood what I said; I'm not saying it's the club's fault that it's stupid, I'm saying it's the law's fault that it's stupid. I understood the possibly consequences that can happen to a bar that serves alcohol illegally to a minor; give me a fucking break, I have an OLCC server's permit. They won't close down per se, but they'll get fined pretty bad to where it can really negatively impact their business.