TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

The Things That Anger You Thread.

New girlfriend cling.

I get it, you love me, can we not play the "talk to me every day or else you hate me" card? That'd be great.

Oh and the sooner we as a society drop the "I just want to hear you say goodnight...that's what I'll tell you but in actuality I'm going to sit on the phone with you for as long as I can guilt you into staying on just because I don't want to hang up, regardless of the fact that you've got better things to do than sit on the other end of a silent phone waiting for me to say something worth staying on the line for" game from male/female relations, the better.

And she's new, so I can't just tell her off and expect things to be peaches & cream.

Guest Vitamin X
Oh and the sooner we as a society drop the "I just want to hear you say goodnight...that's what I'll tell you but in actuality I'm going to sit on the phone with you for as long as I can guilt you into staying on just because I don't want to hang up, regardless of the fact that you've got better things to do than sit on the other end of a silent phone waiting for me to say something worth staying on the line for" game from male/female relations, the better.

A FUCKING MEN.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Also, DST can suck a dick. The state of Indiana almost rose as one and slew Mitch Daniels and his administration when we adopted that gay clock-adjusting horseshit. The sun'll come up when it comes up. Who cares?

Almost every club or bar I went to in California made it so that a bouncer at the door checked your ID, gave you a stamp if you were okay, and had you move along. The bartender, if they second guess the bartender's opinion, can still double check your ID or look at your stamp.

I understood from your first post that this was what you wanted. Stamp someone's hand if they're legal age, let them in otherwise.

But, how does that actually stop minors from drinking? Let's say I was underage, and I got to the bar with my buddy, who's not underage. I don't get a stamp, he does. He goes to the bar and buys 2 rum and cokes.

Now we're both drinking.

I suppose you could go the "only one drink per customer" and refuse to serve a drink to someone who already has one/is buying one, but then what prevents him from buying a rum and coke, bringing it to me, and then going to a different bartender and getting another rum and coke? Again, now we both have rum and cokes, and I'm underage. I don't have a stamp on my hand, sure, but unless there's bartenders/bouncers wandering around the bar and checking the drinks of people without stamps on their hands all night, how do they really know the underage people aren't drinking?

Like, I'm not trying to be a dick, I just really don't get what you're saying here. I don't see how those things would prevent anyone from getting booze underage, and I don't see why bars should bother inviting that kind of trouble. Well, okay, they should invite that trouble so that kids don't stay home and cause trouble in their homes - that doesn't strike me as a good business model.

Also, things that anger me: The smell of ammonia. Holy balls, I was on work term today, and we had to pump out an ammonia-filled compressor....Jesus Lord.

Yeah, that's yet another reason why clubs are pretty lame.

I always thought it stupid not to let minors into clubs where alcohol is served. As long as they're not getting drinks from the bar, who gives a shit? Put a stamp on the hand and move on.

Why would a club want to bother letting in someone underage, even excluding the liability issues should he or she manage to finagle a drink off someone? Assuming that the underage person isn't drinking, that's a body taking up space that isn't paying for more than a couple of $2 sodas all night. Most busy clubs are wall-to-wall with people, and the ownership surely wants them to be drunk, paying people.

Yeah, that's yet another reason why clubs are pretty lame.

I always thought it stupid not to let minors into clubs where alcohol is served. As long as they're not getting drinks from the bar, who gives a shit? Put a stamp on the hand and move on.

Why would a club want to bother letting in someone underage, even excluding the liability issues should he or she manage to finagle a drink off someone? Assuming that the underage person isn't drinking, that's a body taking up space that isn't paying for more than a couple of $2 sodas all night. Most busy clubs are wall-to-wall with people, and the ownership surely wants them to be drunk, paying people.

That's ignoring the vast number of clubs that 18+ though. The owners let in people who obviously aren't going to be drunk just because they're in that legal limbo place between 18 and 21. My issue was that I had someone questioning whether or not I was over 18 (based on a driver's license that I got when I was 16 that isn't due to be renewed until I'm 21) because of my driver's license being a different color than the one in his handbook.

Of course, it sucks that my former state (North Carolina) is the only state that color codes according to age. I got unlucky that I happened to run into a guy who didn't understand this and instead insisted that I was faking the ID. His complete inability to use professional judgment was baffling. I had a school ID and another form of picture ID to prove my identity. He threatened to call the cops to run the license and once I dared him to, he changed his reasoning to, "that doesn't look like you."

The obvious solution for me would be to get a New Hampshire license since I don't plan on returning home after I graduate. However, students aren't allowed to get driver's licenses since we have no permanent residence in the state. I don't know how many more times I'll have to deal with this "That ID is fake" crap just because of my former state's laws.

I think the answer is better training of bouncers, especially in locales where you are likely to encounter out of state forms of ID.

Guest Vitamin X

Big Green addressed Edwin's point about the same as I would, so I'll just go to this one.

Almost every club or bar I went to in California made it so that a bouncer at the door checked your ID, gave you a stamp if you were okay, and had you move along. The bartender, if they second guess the bartender's opinion, can still double check your ID or look at your stamp.

I understood from your first post that this was what you wanted. Stamp someone's hand if they're legal age, let them in otherwise.

But, how does that actually stop minors from drinking? Let's say I was underage, and I got to the bar with my buddy, who's not underage. I don't get a stamp, he does. He goes to the bar and buys 2 rum and cokes.

Now we're both drinking.

I suppose you could go the "only one drink per customer" and refuse to serve a drink to someone who already has one/is buying one, but then what prevents him from buying a rum and coke, bringing it to me, and then going to a different bartender and getting another rum and coke? Again, now we both have rum and cokes, and I'm underage. I don't have a stamp on my hand, sure, but unless there's bartenders/bouncers wandering around the bar and checking the drinks of people without stamps on their hands all night, how do they really know the underage people aren't drinking?

I guess if you're going in that scenario, you could also propose that a minor who goes in with his friend sneaks in a flask and puts some rum in his coke when no one is looking. People find a way to skirt the law regardless, and the solution is that the bartenders and bouncers have the right to check anyone's ID and to make sure that they're not serving minors. Why exclude them entirely from the establishment, especially if there's a cover to get in and they're otherwise paying customers?

I understand Edwin's point is quite valid about clubs making a lot of money off people drinking, and why would they let someone in who isn't drinking or just getting $2 sodas all night or whatever. That's especially valid in a lot of bars; not necessarily at a nightclub or somewhere where there's a show going on.

Like, I'm not trying to be a dick, I just really don't get what you're saying here. I don't see how those things would prevent anyone from getting booze underage, and I don't see why bars should bother inviting that kind of trouble. Well, okay, they should invite that trouble so that kids don't stay home and cause trouble in their homes - that doesn't strike me as a good business model.

No worries about sounding like a dick, it's all good. Anyways, what I'm just saying is that someone could skirt around bouncers just as easily with a fake ID as they could with going in with a person of age and sneaking drinks with them. It's a fallacious argument if you're getting into scenarios where a minor can obtain alcohol with the stamp system, because there's still plenty of ways a minor can obtain alcohol through the other means as well, in the bar as well. And believe me, speaking as someone who had done it plenty of times, it's not easier or harder.

Again, my personal experience has been, in every place I lived in except for Oregon, that minors were allowed in and a server or bartender just checked your ID. Hell, a lot of bars and clubs I go to out here STILL do that, just to make sure I didn't sneak in the place or past a bouncer or whatever, and the stamp is the verification that your ID was checked at the door.

Anyways, this argument's stupid. I'm of legal age and I had my good time when I was young too. Doesn't matter to me one way or another, but it would be nice if it wasn't such a hassle for the responsible kids out there.

Also, things that anger me: The smell of ammonia. Holy balls, I was on work term today, and we had to pump out an ammonia-filled compressor....Jesus Lord.

Agreed, although vinegar has that sorta smell to it and I'm starting to come around on it personally. But a whole compressor full? Blech.

Guest Czech please!

I don't know how, but ammonia is much worse than vinegar.

As for all that other shit, just lower the drinking age to 18 already. Jesus.

Having to begin writing a paper on modernization in the Middle East on the nicest day in months. Arg! So boring!

Ugh, I spent four hours in the library today and got 3/4ths of a page of this done. Four hours. And it's not even very good. Granted most of the time spent was being distracted by you assholes! The last few days before spring break are the worst.

People find a way to skirt the law regardless, and the solution is that the bartenders and bouncers have the right to check anyone's ID and to make sure that they're not serving minors. Why exclude them entirely from the establishment, especially if there's a cover to get in and they're otherwise paying customers?

Because the law doesn't give a shit how convoluted the path to underage drunkenness was; if they're underage, they're drunk and they're in the bar, the bar is assumed to be responsible for it and it's up to them to prove that they didn't supply the booze.

Any one minor could get the bar shut down or have their liquor license revoked, and no one patron is worth risking that unless they buy enough sober drinks & pay a big enough cover charge to cover every alcohol drinker that's going to another bar until they regain their license (not to mention the fact that at least one bartender's pretty much fired & blackballed from bartending as a result).

This personally bit me in the ass a couple summers ago when myself and a ladyfriend I was hoping to impress ended up having to walk 5 blocks in the rain to go to another pool hall because the one we wanted & originally planned on going in wouldn't let me in (a month before my 21st birthday). Totally didn't get to do her. This line of discussion reminded me of how much that angered me.

Oh, and I hate ammonia too. We had a blueprint machine back in high school and you could always tell when it was blueprint season because the four massive windows were wide open and at least one giant floor fan had been brought into the CAD lab.

I don't know how, but ammonia is much worse than vinegar.

As for all that other shit, just lower the drinking age to 18 already. Jesus.

There's a bill in the New Hampshire state legislature to do it here in NH. However, I can't see it passing because of our incredible lack of a tax base here. If the state lost highway funding, we'd be fucked.

Having no income nor sales tax makes it hard to take a stand on something that could cost you money.

Apparently my job doesn't like to follow seniority when it comes to vacation. This just makes more paper-work for me tomorrow.

I've been able to get into bars since I was 13. If you got money, most places really dont give a fuck. We used to get a half gallon of Crown Royal and a elve pack and leave em in a cooler in the car. Then just go play pool, and dance with barstars, and go out to the car on and off all night to get drunk. You keep money in the juke box, or send the dj a drink for playing a song for you, and youre usually good to go.

I'm talking about several towns and cities.

I'm also talking about actual bars mostly, not clubs. Like, really shitty places, where people pack guns and there's fights everynight and al the women are bar whores.

Anywhere that's actually worth going to isn't gonna let that shit go on, for sure.

http://www.starregistry.com/?engine=google...CFQUWGgodVhoGDA

Sites like this. For only $54 you can name a star after yourself or a loved on blah blah blah...what the fuck. I can name a star after me right now if I want to. Who has star rights?

I hear these commercials all day at work

One of my former coworkers used this site to name a star after his wife and presented it to her as a birthday gift. To say she was unimpressed would be an understatement.

http://www.starregistry.com/?engine=google...CFQUWGgodVhoGDA

Sites like this. For only $54 you can name a star after yourself or a loved on blah blah blah...what the fuck. I can name a star after me right now if I want to. Who has star rights?

I hear these commercials all day at work

One of my former coworkers used this site to name a star after his wife and presented it to her as a birthday gift. To say she was unimpressed would be an understatement.

See, it would've worked if he had some something romantic to go along with it. Like play this song:

At least then the gift has a context.

EDIT- Also fuck Universal for disabling embedding

New thing to anger me:

How fucking sensitive these new LCD screen phones are. I was walking today and slipped on a patch of ice, fucking phone RUINED. My old phone took way worse abuse than that and still functions to this day (I just gave it up when I got my current phone as a gift).

The phone breaking was a combination of three things:

1. Me instinctively falling on my side.

2. Having the phone on said side.

3. LCD screen shattering on impact.

I'm going out of town for spring break and was supposed to call someone to meet up when I get there. Son of a bitch.

EDIT- Upon further inspection, it just needs a new LCD screen. Hopefully, my contact gets my Facebook message before I actually have to contact them. I also hope that I can get that damn thing replaced without going broke.

Totally agreed with Big Green. I had an old black clamshell phone that got the shit beaten out of it on a regular basis and I never worried about it. I upgraded to a Vu and I have to baby the damn thing and its touchscreen. I miss being able to just grab my phone or have it thrown to me if I left it sitting somewhere, as opposed to having to put it in the holster and keep it there knowing full well it's doing jack squat to keep it protected and I'm one slip, trip or stumble away from being phoneless.

Guest Vitamin X

My Palm Centro, even being a newer phone and with the LCD screen being an integral part of it, has gotten dropped, fallen on, and exposed to wet, nasty weather and still functions beautifully. I've had it for over a year now, so its durability is not questioned.

Both of my HTC phones have been dropped numerous times and the only time I had problems with one was when it literally fell on the corner of a baseboard. Right in the exact spot it needed to fall to shatter the screen.

I have a touch screen phone, and it is pretty much the goddamned worst thing in the world. I have to restart my phone almost once an hour because it gets completely uncalibrated after like 45 minutes.

Both of my HTC phones have been dropped numerous times and the only time I had problems with one was when it literally fell on the corner of a baseboard. Right in the exact spot it needed to fall to shatter the screen.

Out of curiosity, how would you get that fixed? That's the exact same problem that I have with my HTC phone. I don't want to have to replace it (I have a shit ton of numbers in there) so I was wondering if the screen was replaceable.

It was a work phone so I just sent it back and got a new one. I would guess if you have phone insurance or something that it would be covered.

Guest Vitamin X
I have a touch screen phone, and it is pretty much the goddamned worst thing in the world. I have to restart my phone almost once an hour because it gets completely uncalibrated after like 45 minutes.

You've got an iPhone, don't ya.

Guest Smues

I haven't had a cell phone break on me in the 8 years I've owned cellphones. My wife on the other hand can't go six months without breaking her phone, so she doesn't get to have cool expensive ones with touch screens and what not.