TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cd213

EDGE vs Undertaker

As we all know Taker has the undefeated streak at WM, but so does Edge. What I was thinking was in the next couple of years Undertaker has to retire. By that time Edge might be face. For this post he already has. At WM have Edge vs. Undertaker for the end of a streak. UT puts over Edge in a respect match and UT retures and Edge continues with his streak. If UT was up to it I think this could work. In a few years anything can go on but I think can be a money match if planned right.

I think Taker will end Edge's streak, and Taker will never lose at WM. I've said before that few things in wrestling are "sacred" anymore, and one of the remaining things is Taker's streak. There isn't a good reason for them to end his streak, it deserves to stand. When he goes into the HoF that streak will be the main thing they focus on, and rightfully so.

There isn't a good reason for them to end his streak...

Except to elevate a breakout superstar into the top level, but that would be good for business and we can't have business taking precedence over a ‘sacred’ winning streak. I'd bet that Undertaker giving up his streak to make someone a superstar in one night would do more for his HoF potential than holding onto it.

What is this, a mark board? Do people think there's actually criteria for admission into the WWE Hall of Fame? Vince put his dad's freakin' limo driver in the Hall of Fame. Taker will go into the HOF no matter what. Well, unless he does something to piss Vince off. Then his 15 years on top of the promotion won't mean shit.

Oh, and Edge shouldn't end Taker's streak. He's already a main-eventer. Ending Taker's streak should be something to elevate someone who WWE needs to break through to the upper card.

If nobody with the right potential come along, then the streak probably should stay intact. But if there is someone who comes along who would be something big, then there is no good reason not to give that guy the huge rub of ending the streak and making them a sensation overnight.

Of course I know that anyone can go into the HoF. I'm just saying that when Taker does go in, the streak will be what they go on and on and on about, you know?

If they ever have Taker lose at WM, we all know what will happen. The guy will go over, more than likely someone we all hate and the breaking of the streak will be a drastic step to try to get the guy over. It'll look all cool that night and people will buy into the bullshit of "Taker MADE that guy tonight!!!" but in the end, it wont do any good. Whoever it is will still suck, they will wont be over, and in a few weeks or a few months, no one will even care that they ended Taker's streak, and the only time we'll ever even remember that it happened is when they, of course, ram it down our throats, which will in turn piss everyone off because by that point all of the people who were fine with it and thought it would do some good will be regretting it and saying that it was bullshit that they broke the streak in the first place.

I don't see the point in breaking such a long running thing. This has been going for well over a decade now, and in a day and age when titles mean next to nothing, who beats who is almost pointless, it's nice to still have something, anything, that fans can look at and still respect and view as "sacred" in professional wrestling. I'm totally against them breaking the streak, but with my luck that means that they will do it, and the above scenario will indeed play out.

Let's say that Orton had pinned Taker. Do you honestly think that would have meant anything at all, especially by this point? Of course not, and we'd be exactly where we are now with Orton anyway, and all that would have come out of it is the fact that the streak would have ended for no reason whatsoever.

The streak is important enough that you know that, if only for this one thing, a LOT of thought will go into possibly ending it. It's about the one thing they won't waste on someone who really is a lame duck and has no potential.

I'm usually known as "positive" around here and even I don't have that much faith in WWE.

Neither do I. But I do have faith in the ego of Undertaker being big enough that he won't give the streak up unless it's to someone who really does have the potential to be a superstar, which is why if it does happen it'll probably be to someone worth it.

How many 'Mania appearances does Undertaker have left? If there is going to be a deserving person to end the streak then they need to show up ASAP.

'Taker could easily work a schedule similar to Hogan's and use his annual match for Mania for years, if he felt so inclined.

Right now, as it stands, WWE doesn't have anybody who is worth the rub or important enough that really needs it.

It's one thing to have obvious main event charisma and persona but it would also require for the company to have complete faith in that worker to pull the trigger.

In 2005, Orton was still the WWE's golden boy and even there he couldn't sell himself enough to knock Taker's streak.

You could take a guy like CM Punk, for instance who is probably worth the rub in that he would be capable of making it mean something and does have the main event persona neccesary for that but it would take complete backing from WWE to do this.

In all honesty I don't think working UT at WM has any benefits if you're his opponent. If you lose, you become a statistic in the streak. If you are the "lucky guy" who ends the streak people will say you're unworthy and hate your guts (in a legit fashion).

Oh, and Edge shouldn't end Taker's streak. He's already a main-eventer. Ending Taker's streak should be something to elevate someone who WWE needs to break through to the upper card.

Agreed.

If anyone should break it right now, it needs to be someone who has not held the WWE or World Title.

Lashley, Carlito, Kennedy, Benjamin, Nitro, etc. Anyone of those guys would benefit greatly from this.

How many 'Mania appearances does Undertaker have left? If there is going to be a deserving person to end the streak then they need to show up ASAP.

Hulk Hogan is still making Mania appearances and he's 12 years older than Taker. Flair is 16 years older. So he's probably got some time left.

You don't want someone out of nowhere to end the streak either. That would just look bad. Edge would be a good choice. Yeah, he's already a main eventer, but he's not a MAIN EVENTER. Not like HHH, or Taker. If he ends Taker's streak, that would make him a true main eventer, I think. But someone else could come along whos on the verge of breaking through, and it has to be built up. You can't have a one month feud with Benjamin or Carlito, and just end the streak a month later. They need to take more time with whoever they want breaking the streak; if they do.

I'm with the group of people who say he should keep the streak. However, if someone does come along that can really benefit and make breaking the streak memorable or historic they should do it. I just don't see anyone right now that should do it. Orton was actually a good pick if he wasn't such a letdown with the Legend Killer gimmick and all.

If nobody with the right potential come along, then the streak probably should stay intact. But if there is someone who comes along who would be something big, then there is no good reason not to give that guy the huge rub of ending the streak and making them a sensation overnight.

The only guy in the last five years to come along with that type of potential was Brock Lesnar, and he was already a star by the time he hit Wrestlemania. Maybe Cena, but he got over on his own. He wasn't big enough to be put over by Taker in 2004, and by 2005 he was main-eventing and no longer needed the rub. Putting some chump like Orton over Taker isn't going to do anything, as Orton isn't good enough to take advantage of the win. Orton could end winning streaks for the next ten years and he still wouldn't get over because he sucks, has an attitude problem, and is injury-prone.

Lashley, Carlito, Kennedy, Benjamin, Nitro, etc. Anyone of those guys would benefit greatly from this.

Of those, the only one I could see working is Kennedy, and that's if he gets a steady push between now and Mania and big wins afterwards to continue his momentum (probably winning the World Title in the process). Even then, I have some doubts over whether Kennedy is able to handle that type of a push. He's good, but not a can't-miss prospect by any stretch of the imagination. The others are either damaged goods (Benjamin) or aren't good enough to get that kind of rub (Carlito, Nitro, Lashley). You can't just take some random midcarder, have him end the streak, and make a big star out of him. It would be forgotten in a month. It has to be somebody worthy of it.

Slightly off topic here...

But even though I don't want him to end the streak, as it's past his time to do so, I know what I would like to see at this year's Mania involving Taker..

Extreme Rules

vs. Sabu.

But that's just me