TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vivalaultra

Man bites panda in China

I find this amusing.

Man Bites Panda at Beijing Zoo

BEIJING (Sept. 20) - A drunken Chinese migrant worker jumped into a panda enclosure at the Beijing Zoo, was bitten by the bear and retaliated by chomping down on the animal's back, state media said Wednesday.

Zhang Xinyan, from the central province of Henan, drank four jugs of beer at a restaurant near the zoo before visiting Gu the panda on Tuesday, the Beijing Morning Post said.

"He felt a sudden urge to touch the panda with his hand," and jumped into the enclosure, the newspaper said.

The panda, who was asleep, was startled and bit Zhang, 35, on the right leg, it said. Zhang got angry and kicked the panda, who then bit his other leg. A tussle ensued, the paper said.

"I bit the fellow in the back," Zhang was quoted as saying in the newspaper. "Its skin was quite thick."

Other tourists yelled for a zookeeper, who got the panda under control by spraying it with water, reports said. Zhang was hospitalized.

Newspaper photographs showed Zhang lying on a hospital bed with blood-soaked bandages and a seam of stitches running down his leg.

The Beijing Youth Daily quoted Zhang as saying that he had seen pandas on television and "they seemed to get along well with people."

"No one ever said they would bite people," Zhang said. "I just wanted to touch it. I was so dizzy from the beer. I don't remember much."

Ye Mingxia, a spokeswoman for the Beijing Zoo, confirmed the incident happened but would not give any details. She said Gu Gu was "healthy."

"We're not considering punishing him now," Ye said in a telephone interview. "He's suffered quite a bit of shock."

09-20-06 10:26 EDT

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

Zhang Xinyan, from the central province of Henan, drank four jugs of beer at a restaurant near the zoo before visiting Gu the panda on Tuesday, the Beijing Morning Post said.
I wonder if he was planning on visiting Gu all along, or if the idea came to him when he was 2 or 3 jugs deep.

I've done a lot of stupid things while drunk ... but never gone to a zoo. Let alone get into a bite-fight with a panda.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I wonder if he was planning on visiting Gu all along, or if the idea came to him when he was 2 or 3 jugs deep.

I've done a lot of stupid things while drunk ... but never gone to a zoo. Let alone get into a bite-fight with a panda.

Silliest I ever got at the zoo was following the jellyfish in their circular rotation with a head full of mushrooms.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
The zoo would be dynamite on drugs, I just know it.

It's pretty fun, actually. The Ft. Wayne zoo has a pond with these incredibly aggressive ducks and geese that are classically conditioned to eat anything held by children. There's a vending machine that gives you a handful of dog food lookin' stuff, or cracked corn for a quarter to feed them. It's fun to put your hands together and get about a dollar worth, then bend your hands down to their level and get swarmed by fuckin' ducks. It's hilarious.

Guest Felonies!

Okay, it's settled. This spring, I'm gonna take mescaline and spend a day at the Lincoln Park Zoo. With my luck, I'll probably get on a CTA train completely naked and be arrested.

icp.jpg

This panda bites back!

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Okay, it's settled. This spring, I'm gonna take mescaline and spend a day at the Lincoln Park Zoo. With my luck, I'll probably get on a CTA train completely naked and be arrested.

Nah, with Mescaline, worst case scenario for you will be puking your guts out in the aviary, then getting spooked by a peacock. Then you'll hide somewhere and start crying until EMS finds you and calls your parents.

Guest Felonies!

I know it was for my own good, but I feel so embarrassed now. Just took the wind right out of my sails and breached the hull.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The only drug use I can see you getting away with in public is smoking pot and watching Jackass 2 in a crowded theater. Nuns could get away with that.