TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/about.html

3. What is Blu-Ray

Blu-ray (BD) is a next-generation media format that delivers the ultimate high-definition* entertainment experience. Just like the DVD format offered a technological leap over CDs, Blu-ray Disc™ is the next leap forward in the natural advancement of data storage and digital entertainment.

Facts about Blu-ray Disc™:

— Blu-ray Disc™ is supported by the Blu-ray Association and it has a broader industry support than any disc format ever launched

— The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc

— Pristine picture quality with the capability for full high-definition resolution 1080p

— Blu-ray Disc™ recordable formats offer unsurpassed storage capacity to store your digital world (photographs, home videos, music libraries, and data)

— Blu-ray Disc™ gives consumers a smooth way to transition to high-definition by protecting their DVD investments; Blu-ray Disc™ players are compatible with DVD so existing DVD collections can be enjoyed on Blu-ray hardware

More information about Blu-ray can be found at the Blu-ray Disc Association’s Website blu-raydisc.com

4. Why is Blu-ray Disc™ important to gaming?

With Blu-ray Disc™, the PLAYSTATION®3 system offers game developers unprecedented power to express their creativity and a larger canvas to create a level of interaction, sophistication, and reality that has never existed in gaming. As a result, consumers can experience a whole new generation of high-definition gaming.

orly.jpeg

You know, something I noticed is that for all the talk of the PSP having its ass kicked by the DS, the two were neck-and-neck in the US until the last few months, where I suspect the release of the DS Lite has contributed to Nintendo's high hardware sales. I'd say that Nintendo should be a little worried particularly if Sony releases a new model PSP soon as has been rumored.

It's funny 'cause it's true.

Seriously, I've never been a Nintendo fanboy, and after reading the preliminary reports on the Wii, I was less than enthused. At this point I'd much rather get a Wii and everything else to go along with it and tell Sony to go fuck themselves.

You know, something I noticed is that for all the talk of the PSP having its ass kicked by the DS, the two were neck-and-neck in the US until the last few months, where I suspect the release of the DS Lite has contributed to Nintendo's high hardware sales. I'd say that Nintendo should be a little worried particularly if Sony releases a new model PSP soon as has been rumored.

Actually the DS was kicking the PSP's ass in sales way before the DS lite came out. So Sony introducing a new model for the same price, won't do a thing really.

Would is one thing, could is another.

As mentioned already in this thread, supposedly only 1 in 5 of the estimated 400,000 PS3s we'll be getting are the $499 configurations.

It's a forced choice, essentially.

Actually the DS was kicking the PSP's ass in sales way before the DS lite came out. So Sony introducing a new model for the same price, won't do a thing really.

I was only talking about the US. In Japan, DS has been dominant since the beginning.

The double whammy of DS Lite plus New Super Mario Bros. knocked a lot of fence-straddlers into purchasing one, especially in the US. The sales for NSMB have been insane.

PSP could make a bigger impact in the US with a price drop...but instead, Sony decides a crap bundle is a better value. :P

EBGames here are only going to stock the "US$599" version, which is $1000AUD.

Would is one thing, could is another.

As mentioned already in this thread, supposedly only 1 in 5 of the estimated 400,000 PS3s we'll be getting are the $499 configurations.

It's a forced choice, essentially.

True enough, and yet another reason to not buy on launch. Then again, Sony could just phase out that cheap model within 3 months. I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

They probably will begin phasing it out, like it appears MS has done with the Core.

Only Sony will probably put out a press release saying that "due to the superior value offered, customers are *happy* to pay the $599 price for our superior configuration."

ABout the whole Bluray disk thing. I cannot possibly fathom what could possibly take up 50 gigs or 25 gigs of info in a game. I don't think it is possible. THink of the most technically advanced beautiful game you have ever seen. That took up about 7-8 gigs at the most. There is nothing you can do but fill the disk with FMV to get to that ammount.

Ah, where will Sony go next to further screw their customers with their accessories.

They'll release an upgraded PS2 with a new gimmick controller and sell it for $250.

There is nothing you can do but fill the disk with FMV to get to that ammount.

Excellent. I need hundreds of hours of FMV for Kingdom Hearts 3.

What is the difference b/w the 499 and 599 unites?

Ah, where will Sony go next to further screw their customers with their accessories.

They'll release an upgraded PS2 with a new gimmick controller and sell it for $250.

The PS3 could have been exactly that, and consumers/publishers would have extremely happy and they'd still kick the 360's ass without much effort.

Tetsuya Takahashi just wet himself thinking about the possibilities.

Well played.

It would have to come in multiple colors with wireless controllers and be called PSII Slim Colour.

Excellent. I need hundreds of hours of FMV for Kingdom Hearts 3.

What is the difference b/w the 499 and 599 unites?

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...t&p=2332794

Remember that we don't yet know where KH3 is landing, though.

Are both types backwards compatible.

If they are, I would only need the core. 20Gb is enough drive space. And I don't really care about using a wireless network. I don't really play my games online anyway.

Yeah. They'll play PS2 and PS1 games; you need an accessory to move PS1/PS2 memory card saves onto the harddrive, though.

Unknown is whether or not the "region free" gaming feature includes PS2 and PS1 games.