TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Indeed.

It's coming for JP for like $8.

I guess it's an "expansion"

Hey, I think you get practice mode too!

Buying the complete package costs less than buying the two seperate. Gotcha!

You both know this game won't work. You'll be eating deathfists like whoa.

SNK managed to get online play working for King of Fighters 2003 and Neowave over Xbox Live pretty seamlessly. I think it's possible to have an accurate online fighting game experience. However, it is a fact of physics you'll never have 0 lag. The trick is to figure out a way to fake it.

I don't know about Tekken, but in Virtua Fighter, 1 frame is 1/60th of a second, and even one frame can make all the difference between whose move succeeds and whose fails. I don't think there's any net-code good enough to be accurate to 1/60th of a second, so any latency at all will make a big difference. If a game doesn't need accuracy to that degree, then it can work online. Otherwise it's not reliable.

If it's like DoA2 was, the lag isn't going to be so bad that it'll make the game look totally different. It'll just make certain things, like breaking throws and punishing moves, a lot harder. And yeah, that'll change the way people play online. I'll do Mad Axes a whole lot more. That might end up messing me up in tournies, shrug.

But whatever, I get to play DR now. It's so worth it.

I don't know about Tekken, but in Virtua Fighter, 1 frame is 1/60th of a second, and even one frame can make all the difference between whose move succeeds and whose fails. I don't think there's any net-code good enough to be accurate to 1/60th of a second, so any latency at all will make a big difference. If a game doesn't need accuracy to that degree, then it can work online. Otherwise it's not reliable.

Tekken is that way too, and lag will definitely make things somewhat inaccurate. Face to face will definitely still be the competitive standard. But even inaccurate DR is a hell of a lot better than no DR. You can still practice with the lag.

I know I'm beating this over the head, but I want to make it clear I think it's possible to make a fine online game. With the KoF's, you didn't need two different strategies. I will admit to playing DoA 2 online, and I will agree that the lag, while sometimes fine, was such that your strategy had to change.

Tekken 5 DR is 60 frames a second, so 1/60 of a second is 1 frame. I also wonder if it being in 3D makes a difference, but probably not. I believe Namco wouldn't try to take a fighting game online unless they thought they had a pretty good shot of doing it justice.

I am jealous of you PS3 owners, by the way, as a result of this.

Hey, if they can pull it out so that lag doesn't affect gameplay, that would be the greatest thing ever. It's hard for me to see how that's possible, though. When I used to play Subspace online, the best ping I ever got was 30ms, which would be like 2 frames. FPS games can work through that with prediction algorithms, but it's hard to see how that could be applied to fighters. But if they can do it, awesome.

$100 USD pricedrop supposedly imminent - http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/05/rumor-ci...eek-of-july-15/

I was originally going to run with the Xbox 360 for a while, and get the multi-platform games on that, but given how it's a constant threat to break down, and how I can't even use it online anymore, and even if I could, I wouldn't pay to play non-MMO games online, the PS3 seems more attractive now. I doubt I'll get one as soon as the price drops, but I'll definitely be buying before the end of the year now.

Guest Smues

Now we need a clip of Kaz saying FOUR HUNDRED NINTY NINE U.S. DOLLARS

RIDDDDGGGEEEERRAAACCCEEERRRR

Guest Smues

Oh, and If I'm someone who bought the PS3 already I'm pissed the price is dropping this fast. 8 months? Sure it's only dropping a 1/6 of the price, but still. The PS2 took around 18 months to drop, the 360 still hasn't dropped. I guess even though the essence of the Playstation 3 DNA is real change the consumers just were not ready.

I might buy a PS3 as a br player for $500 instead of $600

Theres also a buy a BR player get 5 movies free promo going that includes the PS3 so Im hoping the two overlap..definitely will jump on that if its the case.

5 free movies From now til September 30th!

And Id probably get Pearl Harbor, Corpse Bride, Res Evil 2, Devils Rejects and the Omen remake.

not the greatest free movies selection but they're free.

That's a risk early adopters take, especially in this case where everyone knew the price was too high, and that it'd likely drop before too long. The PS3 just proved that $600 for a new console with limited software is too much for people to pay. The Wii with limited software is selling well at $250. The PS2 had perhaps the worst batch of launch(window) software ever, yet there was pandemonium for its release. So it's not the games, it's the price. Given that the PS3 has better hardware than the 360 (ie. it's actually reliable) and has a better online setup (less micro-transaction bullshit, no charging to play regular games online, old PS1 games at a fair price), and will be getting a bunch of high-end games (whether multi-platform or not), there's no reason to believe it won't do fine once the price comes down. The real question becomes can Sony catch-up in a much more competitive marketplace, with a still somewhat high price-tag (not relative to its competitors however) and without a few key exclusives.

Price drop official - http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/09/sony-con...for-60gb-model/

80 gig PS3 is $600 now, but it comes with Motorstorm. I guess it's worth it if you want the game, otherwise no thx. Actually, scratch that. If PS3 games are $60, then it's $40 for 20 extra gigs. No thx regardless of the game.

Wow, a whole $100. Lets all jump on that. Uh, no. Anyone who would pay $500 for a console, let alone $600, is just fucking nuts. Or filthy fucking rich, whatever the case may be.

Wow, a whole $100. Lets all jump on that. Uh, no. Anyone who would pay $500 for a console, let alone $600, is just fucking nuts. Or filthy fucking rich, whatever the case may be.

Exactly.

Sony is only 8 months late to the party. Can't wait till M$ drops the price of the 360 in response.

I remember when the original Xbox came down by £100 after a few months in the UK, everyone who still had their receipt could phone up and claim a free controller and some games to the value for £100 to make up for it. That was decent.

I keep seeing all the news outlets saying that the price of the 360 is 470 dollars. Thats kinda misleading. I still think the 360 at 399 or 299 is the best deal unless you really really care about a blue ray player.

The Elite is $470 Ripper.

Edit: And the Core is never really a good deal considering you'd have to buy a HD, etc ala carte.

The Elite is $470 Ripper.

Thats not exactly the centerpiece of their sales. The 399$ model is their selling point with the lower model(and smarter buy) and the Elite being at other ends of the spectrum. Most of their product is the 399" model.

Same reason I don't play basketball games online anymore because of lag. Its all about release point with shooters and it is pointless online because 1-2 frames is the difference between a make or a miss.

Guest Smues

I read at gamepro.com (so take it with a few pounds of salt) that at E3 Microsoft is going to announce price drops for the 360. The core would drop to $249, the premium to $349, and the elite to $399. If true it makes me wish I'd held out on buying one, because I want that elite.

$500 should have been the price of the 60 gig PS3 right from the start. That doesn't mean it's not good that they dropped the price, but it means it still may not sell as well as it would have if it started at $500. But when you think about it, a $100 price drop is big, and combined with how soon it came after the launch, it's really telling. Sony can still sell their system for more than the Xbox 360 though, because the PS3 is inarguably a better piece of hardware than the 360. Ultimately, 2008 will decide the fate of the PS3, because by then they'll be out of the launch-window software drought, and we'll see whether the system gets any good, new, exclusive titles like the 360 did in year two of its existence.

Man, at Circuit City you can get a PS3 today for $500 with a free second controller and 5 free Blu ray movies.

I might not be able to hold back any longer.

$500 should have been the price of the 60 gig PS3 right from the start. That doesn't mean it's not good that they dropped the price, but it means it still may not sell as well as it would have if it started at $500. But when you think about it, a $100 price drop is big, and combined with how soon it came after the launch, it's really telling. Sony can still sell their system for more than the Xbox 360 though, because the PS3 is inarguably a better piece of hardware than the 360. Ultimately, 2008 will decide the fate of the PS3, because by then they'll be out of the launch-window software drought, and we'll see whether the system gets any good, new, exclusive titles like the 360 did in year two of its existence.

I wouldn't say inarguably now. We would have to see what the new design of the 360 does(slapping on more cooling). There was definately a flawed design before, but seeing as there is no shortage of problems with these first gen Blu-ray players, I would give it until somewhere around next year before calling the PS3 inarguably the better piece of hardware.

Jeez, looking at the US prices being thrown around on this board makes me realise how overpriced this Piece of Shit3 really is in the UK. $500 seems to be about average, which converts to around £275. However, the RRP is £425, which would convert to around $800... seriously what the fuck.

You could import a NTSC PS3 and avoid the SCEE assrape. Region free for Blu-Ray/PS3 games, it just won't play any of your PS2 games if you have just PAL ones.