TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal Gear Solid®4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a PS3 bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal Gear Solid®4: Guns of the Patriots and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for $499.

(MSRP).

I guess that's when I'll jump on the PS3 train. 80 gb model, Dual Shock 3, and a game I definitely want for $500. Nice deal.

I just don't think the market is there for Blu-Ray OR HD-DVD or anything like that.

After all, even the discs themselves cost more...

I just don't think the market is there for Blu-Ray OR HD-DVD or anything like that.

I do agree, however now that we are down to a single HD-brand of disc, that means their main competitor will be regular DVD, which costs $5-15 less per DVD. If this keeps blu-ray from truely taking off, then I would expect the price of blu-ray discs to start dropping because if in order for blu-ray related products/accessories to sell, people will have to agree that blu-ray discs are affordable in the first place. I was looking at Wal-Mart.com the other day and there was a good amount of Blu-ray discs available for $19 which is a standard price for a lot of regular dvds. I hope the tend continues at a more rapid pace....

Also, as a new(er) owner of a blu-ray player another side effect is that I am not really buying regular DVDs anymore because the bigger I grow my DVD collection the more I will have to potentially have to replace. I don't plan on replacing 90% of my regular DVDs anyway, but movies like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Die Hard, I would be willing to upgrade to Blu-Ray, but not at the current price. The current price of the Die Hard trilogy on Blu-Ray is $109.00 FUCK.

I do agree, however now that we are down to a single HD-brand of disc, that means their main competitor will be regular DVD, which costs $5-15 less per DVD. If this keeps blu-ray from truely taking off, then I would expect the price of blu-ray discs to start dropping because if in order for blu-ray related products/accessories to sell, people will have to agree that blu-ray discs are affordable in the first place. I was looking at Wal-Mart.com the other day and there was a good amount of Blu-ray discs available for $19 which is a standard price for a lot of regular dvds. I hope the tend continues at a more rapid pace....

Also, as a new(er) owner of a blu-ray player another side effect is that I am not really buying regular DVDs anymore because the bigger I grow my DVD collection the more I will have to potentially have to replace. I don't plan on replacing 90% of my regular DVDs anyway, but movies like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Die Hard, I would be willing to upgrade to Blu-Ray, but not at the current price. The current price of the Die Hard trilogy on Blu-Ray is $109.00 FUCK.

90 bucks for all 4 die hard movies on Amazon.

I've found that Amazon.com has some really great deals on Blu-Ray so far.

And I actually ended up getting a PS3 after I got my 1080p LCD as soon as I heard that HD-DVD was going down and the thing that has impressed me most about it is the media streaming options. You set up DLNA through Windows Media Player (might only be for the Vista version of WMP, not sure if XP supports it) and you can stream all your photos, music, and videos to the tv in real time. It even works for more 'exotic' codecs like XVID (for all your TV show pirating needs... if you're unethical and down with that of course...) which is something that I thought there's no way in hell that Sony would do.

I'm actually so impressed with the 'openness' of the PS3 so far.

90 bucks for all 4 die hard movies on Amazon.

I've found that Amazon.com has some really great deals on Blu-Ray so far.

And I actually ended up getting a PS3 after I got my 1080p LCD as soon as I heard that HD-DVD was going down and the thing that has impressed me most about it is the media streaming options. You set up DLNA through Windows Media Player (might only be for the Vista version of WMP, not sure if XP supports it) and you can stream all your photos, music, and videos to the tv in real time. It even works for more 'exotic' codecs like XVID (for all your TV show pirating needs... if you're unethical and down with that of course...) which is something that I thought there's no way in hell that Sony would do.

I'm actually so impressed with the 'openness' of the PS3 so far.

Only thing is, those are the bare bones editions of the films. When I upgrade I want the ultimate editions, just formatted in blu-ray. If you don't mind bare bones editions though, then yeah that is a good deal. Of course, the ultimate edition trilogy is out of print anyhow, so that deal you posted above might be the best current available thing, but I have a funny feeling they will re-release the Ultimate editions on blu-ray. Not that I am the pickiest DVD buyer but the Die Hard Ultamite edition trilogy is a really cool set.

I agree for the time being, but as the price of the discs themselves comes down, I think that'll probably change. Right now I still tend to buy most of my movies on regular DVD (usually everything but movies with lots of special effects that I know will look great), but when the price comes down to $20 or even $25 as the standard, I'll probably buy the Blu-ray. I don't think the discs cost much more to produce than regular DVDs (I read $0.15 difference somewhere, not sure), so there's no reason the price won't drop.

Huge growth in the HDTV installed base is going to help Blu-ray, too. HDTV was pretty niche just a couple years ago, and now it's pretty much completely mainstream. A lot of those people that just spent $1,000+ on an HDTV are going to be willing to pay $400 to get the best video out of it, I bet.

The current price of the Die Hard trilogy on Blu-Ray is $109.00 FUCK.

I saw Wal-Mart selling it for $89.00 Still expensive, but $20 cheaper than the above.

Question: does the PS3 upconvert regular DVDs to at least 720p? I checked out around the net and the only answer I could find is that it doesn't convert to 1080p, but no other info about 720p.

Anyone?

Hey guys - my friend's gf bought him a 52" TV and a PS3 yesterday. What are the "MUST HAVE" games for it? We're going out today to stockpile. He already has Guitar Hero for it.

Hey guys - my friend's gf bought him a 52" TV and a PS3 yesterday. What are the "MUST HAVE" games for it? We're going out today to stockpile. He already has Guitar Hero for it.

I'd say....

Ratchet & Clank

Uncharted

Devil May Cry 4

Resistence Fall of Man(if you like FPS)

Assassins Creed

What KIND of games does your friend like to play?

Make sure to pick up the good stuff from the online store. Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection, Warhawk, Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo and Everyday Shooter are all top tier.

So I'm getting a really good deal on a brand new 60gig model. $200 CAD. Still in the box. Never been used.

Any drawbacks to the 60gig model? How's the PS2 emulation and DVD playback on it?

Guest Smues

Because people liked it.

Well that's the best reason I can come up with.

I own the 60 and everything works great on it. All around I believe the 60 is the best model(most features).

I have the 60 and its definitely the best one. It actually has the Emotion Engine (PS2 hardware) inside instead of relying on software emulation, so you won't have any problem playing any PS2 game. it's also got the wifi, and memory slots to go along with it.

I got a PS3 today just because I figured I was going to get a blue ray player anyway.

Is there any games to recommend? I already have a 360 and since I'm an achievement whore I would play games on it over PS3 if they were multiplatform.

I get the feeling I won't be gaming much on it...

See that's my problem with the PS3. It almost feels like they tried to make it so it'd do everything except game. I know that's an exaggeration, but shit they bragged more about all it's features than the actual gaming aspect up to and after launch.

"It does everything. It can browse the internet, play movies, play MP3s, do your taxes and make a mean cup of joe!"

"Where do I put the game?"

"Gay......muh?"

I dunno about most other PS3 owners, but personally I haven't had any complaints about the gaming thus far....most of the games I own/have owned have been worth the money. The exclusives like Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Devil May Cry 4 have been very good games. I mean I think the "no good games" hype is sort of misguided at this point.

I think I'm going to get Uncharted because it looks cool.

I do think that there is something to be said about the fact that I got a PS2 on launch (which wasn't easy...I had to drive very far for it) and I only got a PS3 because I wanted a movie player.

I'm willing to give it a shot...because I own it now...but I kinda feel like the 360 is my game machine...and the PS3 is my DVD player

I do think that there is something to be said about the fact that I got a PS2 on launch (which wasn't easy...I had to drive very far for it) and I only got a PS3 because I wanted a movie player.

I'm willing to give it a shot...because I own it now...but I kinda feel like the 360 is my game machine...and the PS3 is my DVD player

The PS2 was also a lot of people's first DVD player at the time as well. It was a selling point at the time.

The PS2 was also a lot of people's first DVD player at the time as well. It was a selling point at the time.

guilty.

The BR feature is a selling point for me on PS3. The backwards compatibility thing kind of has me baffled even after much research. Blah.

guilty.

The BR feature is a selling point for me on PS3. The backwards compatibility thing kind of has me baffled even after much research. Blah.

Mine as well.

I had often made the case to customers that the PS3 was cheaper than a BR anyway, and was an even further bargain considering what it could do. But I haven't seen the desire for BR, even with it winning out over HDDVD, the way we saw when DVD's were introduced.

That's because DVD was so much newer and exciting than VHS. I mean you had all the extra features and shit that went along with it including the better quality movie.

With Blu-Ray you have a better quality movie, not much difference than DVD except that. But then you probably have a lot of people like me that aren't as blown away with HDTV or Blu-Ray that are kind of like "Meh.......it looks a little better to me. Not worth creaming over."

MY buddy got a PS3 the other day, and I gotta say I'm pretty impresses by it. Looked through all the firmware updates and it really looks like Sony is letting you do whatever you want with it. The only knock was that he had the 40GB version, and after updating the system, he only had about 30 GB (40 GB version) left on the HDD. I assumed that would be enough, but seeing how much space some games require (almost 5 Gigs for Devil May Cry 4) it makes you wonder how practical the 40 GB model is.