TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

MY buddy got a PS3 the other day, and I gotta say I'm pretty impresses by it. Looked through all the firmware updates and it really looks like Sony is letting you do whatever you want with it. The only knock was that he had the 40GB version, and after updating the system, he only had about 30 GB (40 GB version) left on the HDD. I assumed that would be enough, but seeing how much space some games require (almost 5 Gigs for Devil May Cry 4) it makes you wonder how practical the 40 GB model is.

Well it depends. If you are the type of gamer that keeps all your games and save files, then I would look into buying a bigger HD for it, me personally, I buy games, beat them and then trade them in so I am constantly deleting files.

Im the buddy Anti-Leaf was talking about and yeah I'm not a big hardcore gamer or anything I'd say I'm a casual gamer, I've been playing alot lately but I only bought the PS3 on Friday so you have to break it in right? I'm sure after I get bored with it I'll play once a week or so or alot when a game that comes out I want alot. But yeah I got the 40GB and the space is a bit of an issue, after I finish games I'm usually done with them unless they are God Of War games it seems, but if a game early in the systems life like Devil May Cry 4 takes up nearly 5GB then it makes me wonder how much future games that start to push the systems limits will take up. I'm getting GTA IV next week like many others I'm sure and I almost dread how much space that might take up. Either way I'm sure I'll end up spending a few bucks for a bigger hard drive to replace the 40GB with, I was looking up stuff about it the other day and it doesn't seem like it would be to hard, plus if I have any trouble or get overwhelmed with it since I'm technologically impaired I'll just call computer genius Anti-Leaf and get him to do it for me.

Guest Smues

So I finally found a reason to turn on my PS3 for probably the first time this year: playing Playstation 1 games through a PSP. It's a little laggy some times, and I'm sure fighting games would be hard to play, or anything with a fast pace, but it rules the school for turn based RPG goodness. I'm on a Final Fantasy 7 kick thanks to Crisis Core, so now I can rotate between Crisis Core and the original FF7 on a whim. Yet despite this awesomeness I'm a little disappointed, because I know they'll never take the next step and let you rip PS1 games straight to your PSP so you don't need the PS3 to play them. When you think about it, there's no reason not to. They already have it set up so you can play PS1 games on the PSP through the PS3, they have it set up so you can download a PS1 game on your PS3, then transfer it to the PSP to play alone on your PSP, so why not be able to rip the disc and transfer? They have it set up with the downloaded games so you can only do it on the PSP you have synched to your PS3 and can't just transfer it to anyone else, so why not just do the same with ripping PS1 games and GIVE ME A GOD DAMNED PORTABLE OPTION FOR CHRONO TRIGGER...ahem, and all the PS1 Final Fantasy's and Suikodens and such and such...AND A GOD DAMNED PORTABLE CHRONO TRIGGER.

Edit: And yes I'm aware you can emulate the SNES version on a PSP. But A. I'm out of date with the PSP emulation scene (After the GTA exploit was fixed I got out of the loop) and B. I'd like a legal option.

I'm probably going to be picking up a PS3 in the next couple of months simply because a relative is going to split the cost with my birthday coming up which makes the heavy price tag more palatable. I read that there's a MGS4 bundle coming out shortly (June 12?). I'm not a fan of the MGS games, so that's not a big deal to me, but has it been confirmed that said system is backwards compatible? If so, is there any reason not to pick up the new bundle in favor of something else that's out or coming soon? Thanks in advance.

Edit: And yes I'm aware you can emulate the SNES version on a PSP. But A. I'm out of date with the PSP emulation scene (After the GTA exploit was fixed I got out of the loop) and B. I'd like a legal option.

You aren't missing much, honestly. The best SNES emulator I've found thus far, SNES9xTXL (which, itself, is an improvement over the PSP version of SNES9x), runs Chrono Trigger like ass. IT's rarely at full speed, and the sound is either too slow or too fast unless you've got a text box on screen. I've heard you'd probably have better luck emulating the PS1 version (which in theory, should run better if it's all loaded in a memory stick).

Secret of Mana runs quite well though.

Replacing the HDD is very easy also.

Yeah, I was just looking into replacing the HDD and I am shocked to learn how easy it was, and that it doesn't appear to vio your warranty either. Way to go Sony

I'm still waiting on my 60GB model. It's taking longer than I'd hoped but the price is right so I'm not complaining about it. Either way, can't wait to get this beast and Star Wars the Force Unleashed this summer.

So for those of you who don't have a ps3 yet, Walmart is running a special starting today that gives you a $100 giftcard with the purchase of a 40 gig system. Pretty good deal IMO.

So for those of you who don't have a ps3 yet, Walmart is running a special starting today that gives you a $100 giftcard with the purchase of a 40 gig system. Pretty good deal IMO.

and Best Buy is pricematching, so I might get a PS3 tomorrow.

I'll have to think about it.

...and if anyone is still on the fence about buying a PS3 with this new deal in place, there will be a firmware update this month adding in game XMB access allowing in game custom music and friendf messanging.

...and if anyone is still on the fence about buying a PS3 with this new deal in place, there will be a firmware update this month adding in game XMB access allowing in game custom music and friendf messanging.

for the win...still waiting till October when I'm done school...you know, so I can actually use it

Well I got a PS3 the other day as MGS4 kept haunting me in my sleep. Awesome game however, seems its the only game I'm interested in. Have a 360 too, so most of the games I have on that already. Any I might have missed on the PS3? What are the sports title like - was looking at NHL08 and NBA Live 08 (£25 each)

NBA 2k8 is far better than Live (to me anyways). Uncharted is fun ubt short so I reccomend a rental. MLB 08 The Show is the best baseball game since MVP 05. Keep an eye out for Infamous in the not-so-distant future.

EDIT: Oh and how could I forget two of my other fav's UT3 and Warhawk!

Cheers, sadly I haven't seen a MLB game since Ken Griffy Jr on the N64 back in 98 or so :( As for the 2k series, they're hard to get hold off after initial release, but I'll hunt around the preowned bins for them :)

Right so I understand the PS3 is region free and I can buy games from the US. Any good cheap US sites out there that do exports? :D Looking to get my hand on some cheap US Sports Titles!

So I've been playing Uncharted. I beat it 3 times in a row in the course of a week, including doing it on crushing difficulty and finally got all the medals. What a great game. I like it more now than I did last year. I'm kind of thinking calling Mass Effect GOTY was a mistake. Uncharted on crushing was much harder and satisfying than Gears of War on insane.

Oh and I beat MGS4 twice. I liked it a lot, but still not as much as the first two. I've lost interest in the MGS formula. I'm tired of the repetitive exposition and goofy pseudo philosophy. The gameplay in the first 2 acts was awesome but then the ratio between cutscenes and gameplay tilted in the wrong direction. I don't mean to say I hated the story, it's fun, but it's now only something I can tolerate once or twice.

May have the money to get a ps3 in the next month; but debating between a ps3/hdtv and a new laptop.

Some questions:

1) Backwards compatibility. Probably answered before, but is the ps3 completely non-compatible with ps2 games? I'm thinking of more recent titles, ie Persona and Final Fantasy XII.

2) Blu-Ray. As a stand-alone player, how great is it? Any skipping, scratches to the disc, etc?

And in general I'm curious what people think of it.

No NEW PS3's are able to play PS2 games at all.

Blu Ray discs are virtually unscratchable, it is pretty much the best Blu Ray player because you can update it through firmware upgrades which standalones cannot do.

I use my PS3 for Blu's and DVD's frequently and have never had any performance issues. I also use my PS3 for music alot. Currently since I bought my Zune I put all my music on my PC. Now with everything on my PC I use the PS3 to listen to it all through streaming from my PC to the PS3 which is really nice.

It is also possible to stream video and pictures from your PC as well. Soon I will be upgrading my HDD so I can just copy all my music right to the HDD because the one downfall of streaming is that you cannot use your music in games un less it's actually on the HDD.

Yesterday they also added Movie rentals and purchases on the Playstation Store which is pretty neat. From what I have seen you can Rent in HD or SD and buy in SD only right now.

I got a PS3 a few weeks ago, the only thing I'm regretting, which is my own fault, is the sudden realization that I've probably just bought the machine for one game! Saying that, there's a few to come out down the road I'll probably get, and if you don't own a 360 then there's plenty to choose from.

The slow decline in BC support really rubs me the wrong way. I'd like to think that one day when I can't ever get a new PS2 that I could rely on the PS3 to play my vast library of 2D fighters.. but no, apparently it's not meant to be. WTF is up with that anyway?

Sony is/was bleeding money out the ass with the PS3, and selling PS2s separately is one way of helping slow it.

They always *wanted* to do full SW backwards compatibility, but they couldn't get it working quickly enough before the PS3 release, which is why they ended up bolting the Graphic Synthesizer + Emotion Engine chip onto the mobo to get it working.

However, now, what used to be a "core value" is apparently something only geeks and otaku care about.

I think that's essentially what is used for BWC on current models that offer it. Software emulation. So you could potentially download that, I'd assume. I've heard that it's buggy as hell though.

There are rumors that by October, there will be a firmware update that makes all PS3s backwards compatible. Anybody checked out the new video section of the Playstation store yet? I will be all over this when they add some more material.

Guest Smues

Wanting hardware BC Sony pretty much forced my hand and I picked up the 60GB PS3 last summer. I think my PS3 unit has been used to play actual PS3 games for less than a full hour in its life time. What do I use it for? The occasional Blue-ray disc (damn Blue Ray winning the format war), and playing Playstation 1 games on my PSP. Wow that was $499 well spent.