TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angel_Grace_Blue

Hey guys, remember X-Net?

I'm assuming that I got it since I was a forum member (Only to try out for their insanely biased X-Net Icon thing), but I found this email from X-Net, talking about how they're under new management or some such shit. We still don't want to have anything to do with them, right? If not, I suppose I could post the info contained in the email if Raynor or any other Mr. Booker Fancypants didn't get it. lolz.

So, yeah, X-Net. They are serious business, people. I'm sure we could totally destroy everyone else if we barely tried, but since, you know, our world champ can't be visually represented by Cena with photoshopped blue hair and a pirate eyepatch, we might not get a fair shake at things.

Bourte~!.

I was checking out the XNet resources, and saw this tidbit from "How to be a Consumate Heel"

One thing to remember when wanting to be a great heel, unless you think you can pull off the monster heel gimmick, is that you are going to lose a lot. That’s what most heels do. Heels are there to put faces over, and vice-versa. What is the best way to put a face over? Do the job to him, especially by cheating or doing something else underhanded. Create heat for yourself by losing. Be a chickenshit and run from the ring. Hit your opponent with a foreign object right in front of the referee when you know you’re about to lose. It all comes down to getting yourself hated. Won/loss records are really only window dressing. Doing a job is just as important as getting a win. Learn to job, and you will do alright. On the flip side of that, when you do win…cheat. Pull tights, use the ropes, use outside interference, do whatever it takes to win. Cheating=Heat. Heels need heat. Heat is good. Make your wrestler hated.

So, to be a good heel, you have to cheat a lot and lose a lot. Man, Toxxic sucked as a heel. So did Tom, I mean, he barely lost! YOU GUYS SUCK AS HEELS. STOP AND TRY TO NOT SUCK AT BEING A HEEL. LOSE TO PEOPLE. LOSE TO ME AND GIVE ME TITLES. YAY ME!

Also in the resources section, some tips on writing good RPs. Hints like saying that having the entire RP the same color hurts the eyes, so change the color up a bit. Add that scrolling marque text, too. Embed a song while you're at it! Don't forget some pictures in the sumbitch!

" Heels are there to put faces over. What is the best way to put a face over?........ especially by cheating or doing something else underhanded."

From Kawada to Flair, this is true for the most part.

"Create heat for yourself by losing."

Not true.

"Toxxic sucked as a heel."

I wouldn't say he sucked but I personally had a hard time buying the flashy, high flying, heel that doesn't take short cuts. :D

Eh, it's not that that's not one way to be an effective heel, assuming charitably that by "gain heat for yourself by losing" they mean either the Honky Tonk Maneuver (recently implemented ably by Jay Hawke) or getting yourself disqualified. They're right that cheating or being underhanded is one of the most effective ways.

The problem, like many other things with X-Net, is tunnel vision. They see two kinds of heels: Monster and chickenshit. They ignore among others the guy who cheats just for the sake of cheating, the bully (though that's arguably a subset of monster heel), and the guy who - OMGZ! - gets the fact that he's a heel over on the mic. If every heel was the Honky Tonk Man, I'd get pretty bored.

Well now I'm a flashy high-flying face who doesn't take short cuts you guys should be sorted :D

Damn, I remember reading that X-Net 'being a heel guide' and thinking "Huh? A heel has to lose? How does losing make him hated?"

How does Toxxic as a non-cheating heel not make sense? I guess the concept of being strictly competitive and constantly looking down on your opponents doesn't register with some people, but to me, that's one thing I think I'd hate. A heel who won't shut up about being great, always winning, holding it over everyones head, and dodging bullet after bullet. You'd be craving for a loss, and he won't go away.

Then I guess the WWE way of making heels is wrong, since it seems like the faces always lose and the heels always win...

odd...

/does the job to 'drea to put her over

Not to be argumentative, or ever (EVER) agree with X-Net, but that is a pretty apt description of Suicide King. Chickeshit heel, Memphis style. I think the major alteration is that he won a lot of matches. Which, if you think about it, is a better description than the one X-Net has.

If you're talking the chickenshit Memphis heel, which (again) is a valid way of being a heel but not the only way, then it really is important to win pretty regularly. The difference is that "winning" as a heel under the North American model can be entirely unrelated to having your hand raised.

Take the Honky Tonk Man. For him, "winning" was keeping his title while expending a minimum of energy, so he got himself counted out and disqualified.

On the other hand, take the Tom Flesher character. For him, "winning" is demonstrating his superiority over an opponent, preferably by making him submit, but in a pinch, ridiculing him before dropping him on his head will do.

The Suicide King is pretty similar to the Flesher model - for him, "winning" usually was getting his hand raised by any means necessary, and that's why it was effective for him to cheat so regularly.

I guess what I'm saying is that for a heel, "winning" has to involve taking something away from someone. I think the place where X-Net's point is most valid is in the blowoff of a feud. There, it usually makes the most sense for the face to win, since the heel winning the blowoff just makes it feel like someone else is going to have to knock him off at a meta-blowoff.

Regards,

Tom Flesher, D.Wr.

Professor of Heelery, University of Phoenix

Guest A Silent Presence

It's not really fair to say that you have to win or lose to correctly be a heel. Sure, it can define you overall as a wrestler in terms of how you're ranked and viewed at by the audience in general, but storyline wise, it doesn't account for much. Basically, as a heel, you play the bad guy. Whether or not you win or lose isn't the question, the question that comes up is what you do to make yourself memorable as a heel. That's why it's not fair to say "you must win" or "you must lose", because as Ace said, whether or not it's important to you to have your hand raised in the end is entirely different from heel to heel.

That's true for the vast majority of heel "types", but I agree with Flesher (shock of shocks). The classic Memphis-style, chickenshit heel has to win consistently to be effective. That is what makes the crowd hate him, cheating and breaking rules to win, beating the face not by actually being a better wrestler but by resorting to underhanded, heelish tactics.