TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Heroes

I posted about it when the news about them stealing from Watchmen first broke out but evidently no one gave a shit. Now we're going to have to deal with people seeing Snyder's Watchmen and saying it stole from Heroes.

Well some people think National Treasure > Da Vinci Code

Rudo's right - the movie version of Da Vinci Code wasn't all that great. I think we discussed Watchmen and noted that you can't do the book justice in 2-3 hours, so... well, I hope Snyder knows what he's gotten himself into.

Another great episode, this show almost never misses.

I was also worried about Linderman ending up being Pete and Nate's dad. I hope they don't go there.

Has anyone seen http://www.primatechpaper.com from the card that Suresh (sp) was holding in his hand? The website says management positions are now available 1-800-PRIMA16 (774-6216)

Go to the "about us" section and then move over the Primatech logo.

Another great episode, this show almost never misses.

I was also worried about Linderman ending up being Pete and Nate's dad. I hope they don't go there.

Has anyone seen http://www.primatechpaper.com from the card that Suresh (sp) was holding in his hand? The website says management positions are now available 1-800-PRIMA16 (774-6216)

The comics are saying

that Linderman served in Vietnam with the Petrelli's dad

I love the Watchmen parallel. In many ways this show is an homage to tons of comic book archetypes and characters, so seeing that get its place in the lineage is way cool to me.

I love the Watchmen parallel. In many ways this show is an homage to tons of comic book archetypes and characters, so seeing that get its place in the lineage is way cool to me.

I'm going to have to assume that you've read Watchmen but I'm having a hard time believing that since you consider the Heroes storyline simply a "parallel" and not an outright theft.

edit: Sylar being a watchmaker was a nice little homage/reference to Watchmen in the first half of the season. I may not like what they're doing now in the second half but it is pretty damn ballsy of them to directly steal from Watchmen of all things. They're not even attempting to hide it.

You're really outraged/upset by this Watchmen thing aren't you?

Even Carlos Menstealia would have had the decency to change the location of the bomb.

edit: I'm still watching the show because I enjoy it. But Heroes being a comic book/superhero influenced show and directly stealing from Watchmen is some pretty cold hearted shit especially now that the Watchmen movie has a good chance of being made combined with just how much it has done for comics in general.

A very small fraction of the viewers even know what The Watchmen is. It means shit. Every show or anything done in a creative sense is derivative of another source. You're reaching.

I am saying that if they saw a watchman movie and then watched heroes, I think they probably wouldn't see the connection. They really aren't that similar.

Obviously, parts of this is from Watchmen, but seriously, it isn't really blatant or even copyright infringing level here.

Personally I don't think people would even make the connection.

A very small fraction of the viewers even know what The Watchmen is. It means shit. Every show or anything done in a creative sense is derivative of another source. You're reaching.

Let me guess, neither of you have read Watchmen yet you're still posting like you have any idea what you're talking about. Countless things have been inspired by Watchmen like The Incredibles, Lost, etc but they didn't feel the need to downright steal from it like Heroes did. Hawk 34 probably condones Carlos Menstealia with that kind of shitty logic.

I was just about to say that Incredibles is a closer straight rip off of Watchmen.

And yeah, just saying that I don't know what I am talking about isn't exactly going to win the argument here. Heroes is obviously INSPIRED by the watchmen. I am intersted in seeing what you are saying is "downright" stolen. It being in New York? Seriously, people would draw the line between the two seeing as the stories have nothing in common, the characters are completely different for numerous reasons, and you are trying to draw a parallel between Linderman and Veidt which is just...wrong on so many levels if you are trying the story is the same. Once caused, the other knows whats going to happen....not exactly the same there.

Menstealia? Are you 12? You must be since you take such great offense to this apparent plagiarism to a comic book and continuously prattle about this as if it was some injustice. The comparison of Carlos Mencia to Heroes and their inspiration drawn from Watchmen is completely and utterly preposterous.

The entire show is littered with inspirations and comparative influences from a great deal of sources. Their isn't any doubt that Watchmen plays a part in the process of this story but it isn't the sole example.

The point is, as a show, you create characters, plots and stories to appeal to either a specific niche or you broaden it out and produce a product that works across the board and in doing so, you’ll pick up pieces from other places and entwine them within your own concoction.

You’re greatly irritated by the idea that Heroes drawing off some inspiration from this specific example as if it would become a detriment to its chances of getting a movie deal. Heroes isn’t going to harm their chances but rather accelerate their chances. It does more to attract interest in a supposed movie then it does by standing on its own. It’s a comic book. It’s a television show. It’s not a big deal and as I saying in the point that you completely blew past in your rush to make your sophomoric Carlos Mencia blast, is that it doesn’t affect the viewers nor does it affect the comic. As Ripper eluded, it's a stretch to call it a downright rip-off.

I was just about to say that Incredibles is a closer straight rip off of Watchmen.

And yeah, just saying that I don't know what I am talking about isn't exactly going to win the argument here. Heroes is obviously INSPIRED by the watchmen. I am intersted in seeing what you are saying is "downright" stolen. It being in New York? Seriously, people would draw the line between the two seeing as the stories have nothing in common, the characters are completely different for numerous reasons, and you are trying to draw a parallel between Linderman and Veidt which is just...wrong on so many levels if you are trying the story is the same. Once caused, the other knows whats going to happen....not exactly the same there.

Watchmen deals with two generations of superhero teams. The second generation investigates a mystery that ultimately leads them to a member of the first generation as the mastermind behind it all. Veidt sees himself as a humanitarian and he unleashes the "bomb" on New York in order to unite humanity. He doesn't care that lives will be lost because they will serve the greater good. Heroes deals with two generations of superheroes. The second generation is investigating a mystery and it turns out a member of the first generation is behind it all. So far we don't know if Linderman planned it or not, but we do know what his intention is. He's going to use the destruction of New York to unite humanity. He sees himself as a humanitarian. (Why the hell would he claim to be a humanitarian if he wasn't involved in causing the "bomb?" His wording suggests that he's involved in it.) He doesn't care that lives will be lost because they will serve the greater good.

That's not even a vague similarity. It's the same. Supeheroes being "outlawed" in both Watchmen and The Incredibles doesn't even begin to come close to the level of similarities between Heroes and Watchmen.

It doesn't outrage me, or anything. I think the writers probably intend it as an homage.

It will bug me when/if a Watchmen movie comes out, and people think it rips off Heroes. However, Watchmen is 20 years old now. It was popular, won a special Hugo, and influenced every comic since. Most people will be able to separate it from Heroes.

It's like my feeling in regards to my fave book, Neuromancer. If a movie is ever made, people will think it's ripping off countless movies, particularly the Matrix. However, you have a best-selling, hugely influential book, (and winner of the Hugo, Nebula and Philip K Dick, for God's sake) Hollywood just never saw fit to make a movie out of it. It's ship has sort of sailed now, but if a movie's ever made, it's pedigree will be made well known.

Menstealia? Are you 12? You must be since you take such great offense to this apparent plagiarism to a comic book and continuously prattle about this as if it was some injustice. The comparison of Carlos Mencia to Heroes and their inspiration drawn from Watchmen is completely and utterly preposterous.

The entire show is littered with inspirations and comparative influences from a great deal of sources. Their isn't any doubt that Watchmen plays a part in the process of this story but it isn't the sole example.

The point is, as a show, you create characters, plots and stories to appeal to either a specific niche or you broaden it out and produce a product that works across the board and in doing so, you’ll pick up pieces from other places and entwine them within your own concoction.

You’re greatly irritated by the idea that Heroes drawing off some inspiration from this specific example as if it would become a detriment to its chances of getting a movie deal. Heroes isn’t going to harm their chances but rather accelerate their chances. It does more to attract interest in a supposed movie then it does by standing on its own. It’s a comic book. It’s a television show. It’s not a big deal and as I saying in the point that you completely blew past in your rush to make your sophomoric Carlos Mencia blast, is that it doesn’t affect the viewers nor does it affect the comic. As Ripper eluded, it's a stretch to call it a downright rip-off.

How the hell is it going to help the Watchmen movie if they're using the exact "twist?" It's not about vague references/characters/storylines/etc. They're using the same plot point and motivations. But there will always be people like you who come up with the excuse that nothing's original in today's world, and that's exactly what I meant about the Carlos Mencia remark. First people defended him by saying he doesn't steal. When it was proven he does steal, the excuse of "so what, everyone steals" inevitably came up. Let me just ask you this. Have you read Watchmen and if not, why the hell are you even trying to say what Heroes is doing is "inspiration" when you don't even know what exactly is being used from Watchmen?

It doesn't outrage me, or anything. I think the writers probably intend it as an homage.

It will bug me when/if a Watchmen movie comes out, and people think it rips off Heroes. However, Watchmen is 20 years old now. It was popular, won a special Hugo, and influenced left an indelible mark. Most people will be able to separate it from Heroes.

It's like my feeling in regards to my fave book, Neuromancer. If a movie is ever made, people will think it's ripping off countless movies, particularly the Matrix. However, you have a best-selling, hugely influential book, (and winner of the Hugo, Nebula and Philip K Dick, for God's sake) Hollywood just never saw fit to make a movie out of it. It's ship has sort of sailed now, but if a movie's ever made, it's pedigree will be made well known.

That bothers me too but it's no big deal since Watchmen is two decades old and it's easy to tell people that it came first. What bothers me the most is that out of all of the things Heroes could have stolen from, they decide to steal from Watchmen, the fucking holy grail of graphic novels and something they owe almost everything to.

No, I haven’t read comic book/graphics since I was a young kid.

My entire point, again, is that its not as if the people who follow Watchmen religiously as you apparently do are going to fail at separating the inspiration (or plagiarism, if you’re so adamant) from the original source material. People who are watching Heroes solely and seeing this as if it was 100% original were probably never going to hear of The Watchmen anyways and I’ve seen many reviews and interviews where the creators and cast members directly reference the specific influences. That opens a new portal towards something isn’t as widespread as the standard comics. More attention is good. More piqued interest is good. This isn't about my lack of knowledge about a comic book but rather that you should see this as a good thing as a fan of that specific material.

Again. It's a book. It's a TV show.

Before you try to make another leap with Carlos Mencia (as if he's the very example of stealing, a process over decades old), what Heroes is doing is completely different from him.

No, I haven’t read comic book/graphics since I was a young kid.

My entire point, again, is that its not as if the people who follow Watchmen religiously as you apparently do are going to fail at separating the inspiration (or plagiarism, if you’re so adamant) from the original source material. People who are watching Heroes solely and seeing this as if it was 100% original were probably never going to hear of The Watchmen anyways and I’ve seen many reviews and interviews where the creators and cast members directly reference the specific influences. That opens a new portal towards something isn’t as widespread as the standard comics. More attention is good. More piqued interest is good. This isn't about my lack of knowledge about a comic book but rather that you should see this as a good thing as a fan of that specifc material.

Again. It's a book. It's a TV show.

Ok, let me get this straight. I'm arguing that Heroes stole a specific plot point from Watchmen.

You're claiming that Heroes was only inspired by Watchmen and didn't steal a specific plot point. The only problem is that you just admitted you haven't even fucking read Watchmen.

Only on an internet forum.

Only on a internet forum would one person have such strong feelings for a comic book. What's next are you going to tell me that X-Men story arch of Days of Future Past is a complete ripoff of Watchmen? You're acting like it was the very first comic book that was intended for an older audience. Silly rabbit comic books are for kids and the audience of Heroes will never see the correlations that you are making come on Watchmen happened in the 80's!

Oh yeah I want to see Future Hiro tell Current Hiro to kill off a few people so that his future will exist.

You're acting like it was the very first comic book that was intended for an older audience.

You're just doing the same thing as Hawk 34 by trying to say that Heroes didn't steal from Watchmen yet you haven't even read Watchmen so what real credibility do you have? I never said Watchmen was the first comic book intended for an older audience. You're the one who assumed that's what Heroes "stole." If you start talking about how Watchmen wasn't the first comic book to be "mature" or have an "overarching mastermind" or a "team of heroes" then it's clear that you haven't read it. Trust me, if you've actually read Watchmen then what Heroes is stole is extremely obvious.

I've read Watchmen like 5 times. It's awesome. One of my favorite books ever, comics and otherwise. Heroes is cool too. Chillax. A movie version of Watchmen is almost guaranteed to suck anyway--every script has been abysmal--so who cares? Maybe more people will read Watchmen now and everyone can be happy and smart and shit.