TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Heroes

Great episode.

I laughed so much when Peter left Caitlen in the future. What a dumb fuck.

Thank GOD Hiro is out of Japan.

Nikki knocking out Mohinder was a thing of beauty.

And a nice twist at the end of the episode, which I'll be honest, I did not see coming.

"Heroes" creator apologizes to fans

Tim Kring admits mistakes were made at the beginning of season 2, but promises to get back on track

On the chilly Monday morning that Hollywood's writers went on strike, Heroes creator Tim Kring called from the streets outside the Hollywood studio where his NBC series is shot. ''Yes, I'm picketing my own show,'' says the 50-year-old writer-producer. ''So surreal.''

But Kring wasn't calling to discuss labor woes — he was calling to explain why Heroes, suffering a creative decline and a 15 percent ratings drop from the same period last year, went from Human Torch hot to Iceman cold. The good news? A turnaround appears to be under way. After weeks of sluggish storytelling, the Nov. 5 episode recaptured some of last season's fanciful energy. We've also seen the next two episodes — and we like them, too. The cliff-hangers are back. Narrative purpose has been discovered. Old favorites like Peter (Milo Ventimiglia) and Horn-Rimmed Glasses (Jack Coleman) take center stage. Even more encouraging: Kring himself is keenly aware that Heroes is broken. Here's his candid critique:

THE PACE IS TOO SLOW ''We assumed the audience wanted season 1 — a buildup of intrigue about these characters and the discovery of their powers. We taught [them] to expect a certain kind of storytelling. They wanted adrenaline. We made a mistake.''

THE WORLD-SAVING STAKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED SOONER The premonition of nuclear apocalypse created a larger context that unified every story line last season. Kring now sees that Volume 2 (the first 11 episodes of season 2) would have been better served if Peter's vision of viral Armageddon had appeared in the season premiere rather than episode 7. ''We took too long to get to the big-picture story,'' he says.

THE ROOKIES DIDN'T GREET THEMSELVES PROPERLY New Heroes Monica (Dana Davis), Maya (Dania Ramirez), and Alejandro (Shalim Ortiz) ''shouldn't have been introduced in separate story lines that felt unattached to the show. The way we introduced Elle (Kristen Bell) — by weaving her in via Peter's story line — is a more logical way to bring new characters into the show.'' (That said, Kring says a few newbies won't make it beyond this second volume, which wraps Dec. 3.)

HIRO WAS IN JAPAN WAY TOO LONG Hiro's (Masi Oka) time-bending adventure in 17th-century Japan — where he mentored samurai hero Takezo Kensei (David Anders) — finally came to an end on Nov. 5. But Kring says it ''should have [lasted] three episodes. We didn't give the audience enough story to justify the time we allotted it.''

YOUNG LOVE STINKS Kring regrets sticking Claire (Hayden Panettiere) with a super-dud boyfriend and forcing Hiro to moon over a cutesy princess. ''I've seen more convincing romances on TV,'' he admits. ''In retrospect, I don't think romance is a natural fit for us.''

Yet while Heroes has finally found some dramatic traction, this second volume is pretty much a wash. The Dec. 3 episode has been retooled to function as a potential season finale — a move inspired by the writers' strike and a desire to give the show ''a clean slate'' when it goes back into production for Volume 3. At that point, Kring wants to craft a rebooted Heroes that can attract new fans and win back those who've tuned out: ''The message is that we've heard the complaints — and we're doing something about it.''

It's nice to see that Tim Kring actually realizes the mistakes he has made with this season and has a focus to correct them.

Of course, if the strike doesn't end soon, we'll have to wait for-freakin-ever to actually see any positive changes.

He's also being way too hard on himself. Yes we've all complained about this stuff, but it sounds like he's ready to kill himself over his "mistakes". I hate the Wonder Twins, my only real complaint so far though Sylar's inclusion in their mix makes them more intereesting. The last 3 episodes have really been great. Chill out Kring...you have 20 something episodes to tell your story, don't burn it out TOO quickly!

HIRO WAS IN JAPAN WAY TOO LONG Hiro's (Masi Oka) time-bending adventure in 17th-century Japan — where he mentored samurai hero Takezo Kensei (David Anders) — finally came to an end on Nov. 5. But Kring says it ''should have [lasted] three episodes. We didn't give the audience enough story to justify the time we allotted it.''

Thats the only thing I agree with. But, in retrospect, it made the Adam reveal more unexpected.

To me, it seems like he's saying these things because it's the proper PR thing to do.

The truth is, the fact pace of the show mirrored the first season's pace meant an inevitable dropoff as people expected things to pick up right where they left off. Personally, I'm glad that they took the time to build things up and pay them off at the right times, instead of capitulating to those that were too impatient and demanded instant gratification.

I have had no complaints with the show at all. Still by far my favorite show on TV sollowed by Reaper, Always sunny in Phlly, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Nip/Tuck, Friday Night Lights, and Chuck. (In no particular order, and only showe that are currently airing new episides.)

Holy freaking continuity errors! In 7 episodes!!! How does Nathan grow a seriously bushy beard and gain a drinking problem in about a week?

The way DL died really sucked.

Elle said she started a fire when she was 6 at her grandmother's house. Could that be the fire that calire was in when she was a baby?

Yeah, they were reaching a lot.

They really need to axe Nikki/Jessica/Paris, not add new "personalities".

They could have done a lot more with Peter/"Adam" rather than keep them in a room for the whole episode. Still, Bell cleavage is always welcome, in whatever room.

How does Nathan grow a seriously bushy beard and gain a drinking problem in about a week?

He's Italian. That's what they do: grow lots of hair and drink. Short of starting his own winery or becoming a Don in the mafia, there really is no where else he could have gone.

Edited snippets from my journal review.

Petrellicest: This show is making me think incest, and think it hard. Not that I was a perfect saint before, of course. Still. Two of them flying together, all burning up and flailing? Uhm, wow. Just wow. Then Nathan had to be burnt like bacon, but until then it was nice and yummy.

Adam/Peter: Peter is too gentle for his own good, and just when you think he's learned his lessons, all it takes is a British accent to tell him what he wants to hear… Peter is such a masochist without even realizing it. Adam's "You can do it!" was so over the top and cheesy, but it works for Peter, even though Adam is probably laughing silently. I absolutely loved Peter's "Whoah...you're hot! o.o :D" reaction when he first sees Adam.

Elle: Die, please? Seriously, she really grated on my nerves. Ironically, I hated her treating Peter like a puppy.

Wonder Twins: Boring, boring, BORING!

Niki, D.L., Micah: Bringing up this "Gina" personality screamed of cheap plot device. Ugh. Cheap shit like this makes me glad there's a writers' strike going on. They killed the wrong spouse. D.L. was, basically, the most balanced character, and he has to die like a punk bitch.

Yes, I am still VERY MUCH PISSED at the lack of M3.

Alot of things makes complete sense now in the bridging between the aftermath of last season and this season, thats for sure. Well done episode for the most part and my god, Kristen Bell gave me the feel goods in her seductive and sexy as all fuck, yet innocent acting role tonight. Fucking yum. Most jaw dropping hotness on TV, period.

My main issue with the season for the most part was the whys and hows of everything so far, and this made up for it tenfold. Did it need to be told in a flashback form like this? Maybe, maybe not, but at least we get things explained about this and that. We still need to know how Silar got to where he ended up going after the end of last season, though.

DL went out in true hero form, regardless of the actual Nikki dynamic being lame or not (which I agree it kind of is, but further explains why she joined up to be "saved"). It was cool to see him doing what he was doing right before he died, truly trying to make the best of his abilities for everyone involved. If you're going to kill off a significant character, especially a character you already knew was dead, I thought it was pretty good storytelling.

So Nathan got a beard and drinking problem in a month's time, that's not abnormal - fuck, I think I've been there myself!

I think it would have been better to start the Season with an episode like this. The only problem is you lose the mindfuck twist with Kensei popping up as Adam, but it would have been just as fun to introduce him as Adam in Ep #1 and then reveal him as Kensei in a later episode.

Claude.

They haven't closed that book yet. I'm sure we will see him again eventually, unless Eccleston left the show for some reason.

I have no complaints about last night. I don't see why people don't like the Twins. My girlfriend started watching with me and she was automatically drawn to their story line, because, other than peter explosiveness, they are pretty much the only case of someones powers constantly hurting others without the ability to stop it. I mean, she has piled up the biggest death count of any character on the show. An entire wedding party, a truck full of immigrants, angry car beating rednecks...She has to be at nearly 40 people now.

Also that is why I like Jessikkina. I think alot of people figured her power had something to do with Jessica, but in reality she is a girl that is just fucking batshit insane who happened to get super strength as her power. There is Sylar insane/screwed up(trying to please mommy) and then there is Nikki screwed up(daddy touched me). Plus, not that Ali Carter is a great actress or anything, but I do like the subtle differences that she was able to put into Jessica, Nikki and Gina. Plus, DL kinda annoyed me. Cool that he went out all heroic, but seriously, after getting shot the first two goddamned times, when exactly do you grasp that going all Shadowcat permanently when trouble is afoot until you are out of danger. Dude walks up and his thinking is "Well...i better stay coporeal..." Fuck his dumb ass. He deserved to die(although I am happy he didn't get his FOURTH death scene of this show because I wouldn't have been able to take it).

And I don't buy his death either. If I try to punch a guy and my hand goes through my head, I am not saying "Oh, I am gonna get that fucker one way or another". MY HAND JUST WENT THROUGH HIS MUTHAFUCKING HEAD, MAN.

I need to mention again how ugly the little boy playing Micahs cousin is again.

Growing a beard in a month is not that unbelievable. And if he started drinking that day, well...liqour every day for 30 days will make you stinky.

I am starting to think that Mrs. Pertrelli's power is something like the power of suggestion(maybe that was supposed to be obvious last night but I am still not sure).

Peters refusal to fly will continue to baffle me. Why the fuck are you RUNNING from the goddamn Hatian? FLY DUMBASS.

And Kristen Bell and her cleave was pretty nice in this ep. Although I would have liked to see her a little more sadistic with Peter. It really wasn't any big deal what she was doing. Peter was letting her do it. Its not like she was just coming in and shocking the fuck out of him. I liked her innocent/psycho vibe though.

Overall, pretty good show.

Good Episode last night, although I felt something was missing. It felt like a filler episode.

I was hoping to find out more about Adam's plan to "save the world"

and I would also like to add that I :wub: Kristen Bell, Currently #1 in KAM's Power Rankings

Claude.

They haven't closed that book yet. I'm sure we will see him again eventually, unless Eccleston left the show for some reason.

He apparently has a lot of other work lined up. The man is in demand ever since the Heroes appearance.

Not a big supposition, but Claire must be Adam's daughter.

- They both have the same power. As Matt and his dad showed, powers are hereditary.

- Since Ned Ryerson has locked Adam and threw the key of his cell away, they have given Claire to HRG for protection, as we saw in season 1.

- "Save the cheerleader, save the world" would work for why Peter would help him for saving the world.

Not a big supposition, but Claire must be Adam's daughter.

- They both have the same power. As Matt and his dad showed, powers are hereditary.

- Since Ned Ryerson has locked Adam and threw the key of his cell away, they have given Claire to HRG for protection, as we saw in season 1.

- "Save the cheerleader, save the world" would work for why Peter would help him for saving the world.

Not entirely out of the question since Elle said she burnt down her grandmother's house. Although knowing what we know about Claire's supposed mom and Nathan who knows.

Also a good point Hawk.

Yeah, if Adam has been locked up in there for 30 years, how would 16 year old Claire be around? She is definitely not Adam's daughter.

not to get convoluted here, but maybe they're was some Hero "breeding" going on in this facility?

maybe mama petrelli snuck in to Adam's cell to get her little groove on from time to time and WHOOPSIE...twice!

I dont think Adam is Claire's dad - there are other possibilities on children of his though, think about it - could be anyone, he's been locked in there for 40 some years and before that, who knows too.

One thing that caught my attention, Adam said "6 years ago" he got into something with Elle - wonder what thats about?

I dont think Adam is Claire's dad - there are other possibilities on children of his though, think about it - could be anyone, he's been locked in there for 40 some years and before that, who knows too.

One thing that caught my attention, Adam said "6 years ago" he got into something with Elle - wonder what thats about?

Adam implied that he slept with Elle. He warned Peter not to give into temptation.

She said she was 24, so take away 6 years that would make her 18.

Adam implied that he slept with Elle. He warned Peter not to give into temptation.

She said she was 24, so take away 6 years that would make her 18.

Could the one little girl who Mohinder and Matt was protecting be their lovechild?