TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Heroes

No, it will get better because they fired Jeph Loeb who has been the worst writer in comics since he began on Superman/Batman. A billion characters, non stop time travel, nonsensical storytelling, all that shit you see in Heroes can be found on his entire Superman/Batman run.

Loeb will never be the worst writer in comics as long as Bruce Jones is around. That guy managed to kill Checkmate in one issue.

Also - add Brian Bendis so the running for that vote.

As for the show. As I was saying to my girlfriend as we were watching - this show makes me care less and less about it as the weeks go on. The only character I'm interested in is HRG. I was BEGGING for some major deaths.. knew there wouldn't be any.. but hoping nonetheless. This show is bullshit. Is there any truth to what whoever was saying that the next arc would revlove around a new set of characters - as in a new cast for this show? Because that would be fucking great. I would be happy if I never saw Zachary Quinto, Hayden Panettierre or Milo Ventagalksdmnsamadnagia again - ever.

Quinto is good but his acting has been too all over the place this season. We've seen the following Faces of Sylar...

- Proud to be a company man Sylar

- Protective of Mama Petrelli Sylar

- I know you hate me Peter but we're brothers Sylar

- I'm sorry for what I did to you Claire/Emo Sylar

- Empathay Sylar who learns from his dad

- Romantic Sylar

- I might return to being a killer but maybe I don't have the hunger anymore Sylar

No, it will get better because they fired Jeph Loeb who has been the worst writer in comics since he began on Superman/Batman. A billion characters, non stop time travel, nonsensical storytelling, all that shit you see in Heroes can be found on his entire Superman/Batman run.

Loeb will never be the worst writer in comics as long as Bruce Jones is around. That guy managed to kill Checkmate in one issue.

Also - add Brian Bendis so the running for that vote.

See, I can't agree with Bendis, because I feel that he's inconsistent. Some of his stuff is not good - definitely not a fan of Disassembled, but when he's on, he's on. And I feel he's hit his stride with Secret Invasion, not to mention Ultimate Spidey.

And I'm shocked we haven't mentioned that Loeb was a writer during S2 of Lost.

No love for The Long Halloween and Hush?

Or Bruce Jones run on the Hulk?

:huh:

People have short memories.

I seriously haven't liked anything that Jones has written, and that does indeed include the Hulk.

As for Loeb, well, I don't read Batman, but based on my opinion that Jones sucks hard, he can't be worse.

Actually, I'd be thrilled to get someone who's not a comic writer in there as showrunner. Most of the problems with the show currently are pretty standard flaws of the worst comic books: character motivations/roles changing rapidly, fake deaths, big "events" (omg eclipse everyone lost powers!), and the inclination to make every encounter and story the most epic shit ever.

Normally I'd agree. But this is a show about comic book heroes. You should have some understanding of what you are writing. This isn't like when we criticized Heath Ledger for taking the Joker role despite hating comic books. This is the people that's creating the stories for us to watch. If I wanted to watch standard TV fare, I'd watch standard TV fare. I tune in Heroes because it's a little different, in its comic book style (flaws included). That's just my honest take on it. I'm not here to start arguments because ultimately it boils down to individual preferences.

Sooo, most of the Heroes got their powers when the first eclipse came about. But when you watch the flashback episode, which was before the eclipse, a few had powers. Does that mean when the eclipse happened the first time, the people with powers lost them for a little bit?

Or the only people who lost/gained their powers from the eclipse were the ones who got them from science? I dunno. I'm confused there. Or it's just bad storytelling.

Weird.

And I'm shocked we haven't mentioned that Loeb was a writer during S2 of Lost.

No love for The Long Halloween and Hush?

Or Bruce Jones run on the Hulk?

:huh:

People have short memories.

The Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale books are what got me back into comics, which is why I'm so disappointed in Loeb because he has become a terrible writer IMO.

I think that the eclipse causes powers to manifest in some people. Hiro didnt get his until the first eclipse we saw, and there were others that didn't have powers until then as far as we know. There were people that had their powers already at that point obviously but maybe theirs manifested during previous eclipses. This new eclipse will probably add to the pool of people finding out they now have powers as well, who knows.

Then of course there's the people who's powers were given to then unnaturally like Nathan, Nikki/Jessica, and Tracy.

Sooo, most of the Heroes got their powers when the first eclipse came about. But when you watch the flashback episode, which was before the eclipse, a few had powers. Does that mean when the eclipse happened the first time, the people with powers lost them for a little bit?

Well, in the ep before last, when we find out about Daphne's crutches she tells her dad "It's happened again." So I think it's a good guess.

Then of course there's the people who's powers were given to then unnaturally like Nathan, Nikki/Jessica, and Tracy.

Elle had her powers from childhood, if what HRG said was true. Likely she was given them unnaturally, but even so, how and why would the Eclipse affect that?

But if that was the case, wouldn't Arthur and the people who have had their powers a long time have known they'd lose their powers and then regain them when the eclipse was over?

Major plothole. Yes he was in a coma for the last one, but what about the eclipse prior to that one? Apparently in the Heroes verse, eclipses happen once a year or so. Arthur is, what, in his late 40s? So he'd know it's a seasonal thing.

Maybe he's always in a coma when it happens? Or maybe it's not really him and someone pretending to be him? That could work as well!

It looks like “Pushing Daisies” mastermind Bryan Fuller is about to sign a two-year deal with NBC Universal, and his first job will be working on the final three episodes of “Heroes’” current season.

Fuller wrote the best episodes of “Heroes’” first, best season, including the Noah Bennet-centric “Company Man.” Fuller left “Heroes” late in its first season to create “Daisies” -- and “Heroes” has been a confusing mess ever since, confounding fans and critics and currently garnering about half as many viewers as it did during Fuller’s tenure on the show.

Major plothole. Yes he was in a coma for the last one, but what about the eclipse prior to that one? Apparently in the Heroes verse, eclipses happen once a year or so. Arthur is, what, in his late 40s? So he'd know it's a seasonal thing.

Maybe it wasn't just an eclipse thing. Maybe it's only a recent occurrence and only happened in those cases. Because if it did happen every time there was an eclipse, Takezo/Adam would have been long dead.

Unless he did know about it, and just died/woke up a lot. Which if that's the case, there's hope that Adam is alive! (Although evidently when your powers taken, it's gone, as Peter didn't get his back...or possibly did, but the only powers he'd have are the Hatians and Nathans if that.)

Aside from another plothole (why didn't Sylar kill the Haitian?) and the catalyst being a shiny light, that episode was enjoyable. Sylar getting back to his kickass self, Ando the hero and Hiro losing that "I'm ten years old" nonsense, HRG being a badass to his future daughter, all good things.

Thought they hit all the sappy as fuck parent/child stuff out of the park. Wonder how much Robert Forster got paid to sleepwalk through his 8 episodes. And I was pretty surprised to hear the racist use of "hajji" on network TV, but that is how dumbass marines talk, so fair enough.