TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO "Holy shit, Kurt Angle is in TNA now" thread...

Guest nikowwf

i dont find any of you still watching to be problematic or think its your fault. you always watch. you shouldnt stop because of this. not for a second

i find it problematic the rationalizing that he is somehow ok and the situations that led him to leave the WWE are probably not too bad. People want their cake (to watch) and to eat it too (to assume angle is ok). Have any of you seen him recently? He's not ok. WWE didn't help Eddie enough and we lost him. They finally tried to help Angle and can't. It's sad. If you don't think so cause it might make TNA do better, that's fine. But to me it's sad. it doesn't take a genius to see how this story ends.

The blame is on Angle.

WWE did the right thing (eventually) by releasing him.

He chose to go back to work.

If it wasn't TNA...it could have been MMA or Japan.

Starting from the obvious truth that there was nothing that was going to keep Angle from working...

TNA is the best option for him. Big money for little work. He doesn't have to go on the road.

This is a smart business move for TNA in the short term. However, in the long term, when Kurt is in a wheelchair or dead, the blame will now be absolved from WWE and will land on the shoulders of TNA. I don't think that the long term situation is too far away. That's all that's going to come out of this.

That's also why I will not be tuning in to Impact.

I don't think that the WWE will be without blame if/when something tragic happened to Angle. Even if this something happened to him in a TNA ring, the fact that most of the damage done to his body & psyche was done in a WWE one wouldn't be ignored.

I think that most of it would be ignored, but definitely not all of it. The damage is already done, it's just that people have short-term memories and will be looking for someone to blame, and TNA will find that a lot of the blame will be placed at their feet.

I don't have a problem with anyone watching Impact because Kurt's there, but don't say "poor Kurt" when he winds up in a wheelchair.

I understand that wrestling is probably keeping him from doing something else worse to himself, but that doesn't mean that a company needs to step to the plate and provide him an arena to showcase his talents. It means that the guy needs serious mental help.

Guest nikowwf

i hope you are right. id feel tons better about this if it was even 60 days from now. its so soon. and its ANGLE. do you really see Angle toning things down? he couldnt even take a few months off to heal....he was almost immediately talking about freaking MMA.....

and the blame is not on the fans, but shit its definitely on TNA. Its going to be hard for them to say OH WE HAD NO IDEA when WWE releases all the reasons they released angle is something happens to him. (Shit, they may do it now...) Will WWE share the blame? Oh yeah. Will TNA be absolved? No freaking way....

Guest nikowwf

This is a smart business move for TNA in the short term. However, in the long term, when Kurt is in a wheelchair or dead, the blame will now be absolved from WWE and will land on the shoulders of TNA. I don't think that the long term situation is too far away. That's all that's going to come out of this.

That's also why I will not be tuning in to Impact.

I don't think that the WWE will be without blame if/when something tragic happened to Angle. Even if this something happened to him in a TNA ring, the fact that most of the damage done to his body & psyche was done in a WWE one wouldn't be ignored.

I think that most of it would be ignored, but definitely not all of it. The damage is already done, it's just that people have short-term memories and will be looking for someone to blame, and TNA will find that a lot of the blame will be placed at their feet.

I don't have a problem with anyone watching Impact because Kurt's there, but don't say "poor Kurt" when he winds up in a wheelchair.

I understand that wrestling is probably keeping him from doing something else worse to himself, but that doesn't mean that a company needs to step to the plate and provide him an arena to showcase his talents. It means that the guy needs serious mental help.

this was my point. you cant say YAH ANGLE IS IN TNA RIGHT NOW and then when he gets hurt wonder why it happened and feel bad....

On the plus side...

I don't believe we'll see Angle work a match for a while still.

He's not going to be wrestling until at least BFG...and I'd be shocked if he worked that show either.

I would bet mid November will be when he even shows up in something other than video packages.

If I had to bet his first match will be on either the 2 hour Impact in November OR more likely the ppv in November or December.

I think BFG is where he'll make his first public appearence in the form of a promo or interview. Maybe it's just reading into to much but it would appear Christian is already hinting at some program between the two, that or Christian kaybain' it up.

He'll probably make his in-ring debut at the 2 hour show and it'd be wise to do it as a tag match.

You're nuts if you think they'll jump for Angle/Joe right away. A match like that requires build.

Guest OSIcon
And as its been said already, working 2-3 dates a MONTH for TNA versus working upwards of 20 plus dates a month for WWE is HUGE in terms of the "Angle is broken down and on a death watch" argument. Angle will have PLENTY of time to rest up in between this new schedule and rehab himself to a much better condition than before.

This assumes a lot. Specifically, that Angle won't be going 110% out for those 3 matches a month (and when hasn't he done that?) AND, more importantly, that this "rest" he will be getting his enough to heal all of his problems.

Angle had one complete month off during his suspension. In one of this first matches back he suffered THREE injuries in one match. So all of a sudden you can assume that working "only" 3 times a month will allow Angle to heal up? He had one solid month off to "heal up" and suffered three separate injuries right when coming back.

His body is broken down. These aren't nagging injuries that come with wrestling. This is a guy that is lucky to be walking at all right now.

Furthermore, a lot of people are acting like this is all about Angle. Wrestling is a cooperative thing. What happens if Angle injures himself during a match, tries to gut it through, and seriously injures his opponent? What happens if the painkiller abuse finally effects him to the point that he isn't of any right mind in the ring (not that he is now), messes up, and seriously injures an opponent. Meltzer had something in the WON a few weeks ago about how during his match with RVD, Angle dropped RVD on his head, and later backstage blamed it on RVD. Clearly, Angle is in no condition to be wrestling and protecting someone elses life in the ring.

Meltzer also had a report that Angle lost feeling from the waist down recently in an airport and had to call Johnny Ace to let him know this. Someone who temporarily loses all feeling in his body and can't walk should not only not be in the ring for his own saftey but more importantly for the safety of his opponents.

I think the first logical feud for Angle is Christian, which is probably why they had Christian talking shit. Next would probably be Jarrett, but Sting might be next because of Sting's contract expiring. Matches like Angle vs. Styles and Joe will be looong down the road.

I can see someone like Monty Brown coming out and talking shit for 5 minutes and Angle kicks his ass in 2 seconds at the next PPV.

It'd be kind of stupid to bury Monty Brown considering you(TNA) list him as one of your fresh stars in the press release about the primetime slot.

On the plus side...

He's not going to be wrestling until at least BFG...and I'd be shocked if he worked that show either.

I'm surprised at your rather cold attitude towards Angle getting back in the ring BPS, but that aside....

What's the point in signing Angle now if you're not going to have him wrestle for a couple of months ?

Striking while the iron is hot and all of that.....

On the plus side...

I'm surprised at your rather cold attitude towards Angle getting back in the ring BPS, but that aside....

What's the point in signing Angle now if you're not going to have him wrestle for a couple of months ?

Striking while the iron is hot and all of that.....

Because it would show TNA knows he's not ready to wrestle and you should really build up to his first match in the company. And while you are building up to his match, you can have him on tv doing his little Angle interviews while allowing him time to rehab/recover.

I still think the hiring is way too much risk but honestly, I'd rather him be in TNA than MMA. TNA has done a good job with the chronic injury machine Scott Steiner and allowing him time to recover. Maybe they know what they are doing with Kurt.

I still don't like this though, not at all. But it was stupid of anyone to think he would ever be able to return to the E. That schedule was too hard on him and it's obvious his body definately wouldn't have lasted in that environment.

I don't think I'm being cold about it...I just think that realistically we have to start from the point that Angle was always going to wrestle again. Debating the pros and cons of that decision just seems like a waste of time to me as the decision has already been made.

That said...TNA has had their BFG plans for a while now...and Angle doesn't really factor in to that. When a new talent like Angle comes in you get a few milestone moments that people will watch for.

The first is his first appearance...which they could do at the first 2 hour Impact in primetime.

His first match is something that could be held off and it doesn't make the character go cold.

For all intents and purposes...people will be more likely interested in what Angle is going to do in the company...rather than any individual match.

I'd have him debut with a promo at that Impact, and have him beat someone easily at the next ppv. Not someone of that much value...maybe someone like Alex Shelley. A good wrestler, but not a star.

Then I'd keep Angle involved in high profile feuds like Abyss and Christian...

At least until they get Joe built up to the point where Angle/Joe will be seen as the huge match that it is.

With minimal effort...actually with no effort other than focusing TNA on him...Samoa Joe, by...say Summer...

I think at that point Joe vs. Angle could be as big as any match WWE could do for WrestleMania.

That's 100% what I think they should be working towards.

And it doesn't hurt to protect Angle along the way...at least in the beginning.

I wouldn't put him in a ring until the November ppv...and I wouldn't give him a competitive match until the new year.

There are plenty of ways to keep him interesting while he destroys Sharkboy and Johnny Devine.

He is the biggest name that they have, or ever have had.

That's not going to change.

A MESSAGE FROM TNA PRESIDENT DIXIE CARTER TO THE FANS REGARDING THE SIGNING OF KURT ANGLE

“First, let me say to our talent and our staff, congratulations on our move to primetime. Each of you have worked so hard for this and deserve all the great things that will come with the move. To our fans, none of us would be here without you. Your belief in our product has made all of this possible, and from all of us, thank you. This is just the beginning.

I hope the hype of our announcements last night lived up to or exceeded your expectations. In this industry, it is very hard to keep anything quiet. We are thrilled to have Kurt Angle join our team. Just like with all of our wrestlers, Kurt’s family and health will always come first. I’m sure you will be hearing from him in the coming weeks.

I asked Kurt’s agent to provide me with a quote for our announcement release. Most times a publicist, manager or agent will prepare a statement for the talent. But after a long film shoot in Nashville last week that ended at midnight, Kurt sat down and hand wrote his heartfelt comments on a hotel note pad. Instead of just pulling a small part from that to use in the press release, I thought his fans would love to share in his full emotions from that night:

“Being with TNA feels like I have finally found my home. I had fun in WWE at certain times, but I was never really happy. Now being a part of TNA, I know I have a purpose. I feel like I am part of history, part of a company that is not only on the rise – not only going to be the number-one watched wrestling show in the world within a short period of time – but TNA gives me an opportunity to spread my wings. This company has no limits to where it can go. The sky is the limit and the main reason is because they brought the “real” back into wrestling and that is a perfect fit for the greatest wrestler in USA Olympic history. I have room to grow here and to help TNA grow. Working for these caring and very giving employers of TNA makes me feel like I have a purpose and that the sky is the limit. I don’t feel trapped or held back like I did the first six years in my tenure with the other company. They held me back. Now, our wonderful audience will see the real Kurt Angle doing what I love to do – real wrestling – and that’s what puts a smile on my face each time I come to work. I even smile when I think about it. TNA will be the most watched television show on cable television. It’s only a matter of time. Now, I get the opportunity and privilege of being a part of it. Thank you TNA for saving my career, my life and my desire to do what I love. I will be here in some capacity for the rest of my life. That’s real…that’s damn real.” – Kurt Angle

Well that last quote is extra spooky, no?

Yeah you know, Dixie calmed me down with the Kurt's family and health will come first. Then Kurt just proceeded to scare the living shit out of me.

Guest Kobe24KGold
And as its been said already, working 2-3 dates a MONTH for TNA versus working upwards of 20 plus dates a month for WWE is HUGE in terms of the "Angle is broken down and on a death watch" argument. Angle will have PLENTY of time to rest up in between this new schedule and rehab himself to a much better condition than before.

This assumes a lot. Specifically, that Angle won't be going 110% out for those 3 matches a month (and when hasn't he done that?) AND, more importantly, that this "rest" he will be getting his enough to heal all of his problems.

Angle had one complete month off during his suspension. In one of this first matches back he suffered THREE injuries in one match. So all of a sudden you can assume that working "only" 3 times a month will allow Angle to heal up? He had one solid month off to "heal up" and suffered three separate injuries right when coming back.

His body is broken down. These aren't nagging injuries that come with wrestling. This is a guy that is lucky to be walking at all right now.

Furthermore, a lot of people are acting like this is all about Angle. Wrestling is a cooperative thing. What happens if Angle injures himself during a match, tries to gut it through, and seriously injures his opponent? What happens if the painkiller abuse finally effects him to the point that he isn't of any right mind in the ring (not that he is now), messes up, and seriously injures an opponent. Meltzer had something in the WON a few weeks ago about how during his match with RVD, Angle dropped RVD on his head, and later backstage blamed it on RVD. Clearly, Angle is in no condition to be wrestling and protecting someone elses life in the ring.

Meltzer also had a report that Angle lost feeling from the waist down recently in an airport and had to call Johnny Ace to let him know this. Someone who temporarily loses all feeling in his body and can't walk should not only not be in the ring for his own saftey but more importantly for the safety of his opponents.

Jesus Christ. His spine must be hanging in place by a string. I mean, to lose all feeling from the waist down...even if it is momentarily?

My God. At this rate, an open handed slap to the face will cause him to become a permanent paraplegic.

Guest Kobe24KGold
A MESSAGE FROM TNA PRESIDENT DIXIE CARTER TO THE FANS REGARDING THE SIGNING OF KURT ANGLE

“First, let me say to our talent and our staff, congratulations on our move to primetime. Each of you have worked so hard for this and deserve all the great things that will come with the move. To our fans, none of us would be here without you. Your belief in our product has made all of this possible, and from all of us, thank you. This is just the beginning.

I hope the hype of our announcements last night lived up to or exceeded your expectations. In this industry, it is very hard to keep anything quiet. We are thrilled to have Kurt Angle join our team. Just like with all of our wrestlers, Kurt’s family and health will always come first. I’m sure you will be hearing from him in the coming weeks.

I asked Kurt’s agent to provide me with a quote for our announcement release. Most times a publicist, manager or agent will prepare a statement for the talent. But after a long film shoot in Nashville last week that ended at midnight, Kurt sat down and hand wrote his heartfelt comments on a hotel note pad. Instead of just pulling a small part from that to use in the press release, I thought his fans would love to share in his full emotions from that night:

“Being with TNA feels like I have finally found my home. I had fun in WWE at certain times, but I was never really happy. Now being a part of TNA, I know I have a purpose. I feel like I am part of history, part of a company that is not only on the rise – not only going to be the number-one watched wrestling show in the world within a short period of time – but TNA gives me an opportunity to spread my wings. This company has no limits to where it can go. The sky is the limit and the main reason is because they brought the “real” back into wrestling and that is a perfect fit for the greatest wrestler in USA Olympic history. I have room to grow here and to help TNA grow. Working for these caring and very giving employers of TNA makes me feel like I have a purpose and that the sky is the limit. I don’t feel trapped or held back like I did the first six years in my tenure with the other company. They held me back. Now, our wonderful audience will see the real Kurt Angle doing what I love to do – real wrestling – and that’s what puts a smile on my face each time I come to work. I even smile when I think about it. TNA will be the most watched television show on cable television. It’s only a matter of time. Now, I get the opportunity and privilege of being a part of it. Thank you TNA for saving my career, my life and my desire to do what I love. I will be here in some capacity for the rest of my life. That’s real…that’s damn real.” – Kurt Angle

Well that last quote is extra spooky, no?

Kurt felt he was held back (probably) b/c he couldn't go full tilt?

I guess he's been dying to do Tiger Driver 91's, piledrivers, butterfly pildrivers from the top rope, emerald fusions, etc.

Kurt Angle with no restrictions, no safety nets...here we come.

I think he more meant that they didn't make him there top HHHesque guy.

PWinsider had been reporting for a while that he was trying to become a politics guy backstage...but he didn't really know how to play that game.

I'm pretty sure he just wants to be the "Man" and not anything having to do with WWE style or anything.

The last Angle match I saw was Angle vs. Lesnar at WM 19. I felt that was when Angle should have retired (because of the neck injury the month before), and I stand by that. Angle killing himself for the last three years has been interesting to read about, though.

This, I don't care. TNA couldn't handle Sting or Christian, and they are heading for a freefall with Russo. I have no reason to believe Angle will be productive to them.

On the bright side, however, this is the first time in two years I've posted in the TNA thread. Um, huzzah?

I don't see TNA using Angle properly and reaching the "next level" with Angle. TNA has signed names before, and we all thought they'd thrust the company up another notch, but they always disappointed. Like WCW back in the day, they take can't-miss opportunities and fumble them.

But besides all that, here's what I'd do with Angle: I'd have him show up at a PPV, either to ref a match or just give a promo. He'd debut at the first primetime Impact and beat someone like Chris Harris easily. Then I'd move him into a fued with Christian. Over the next 2 months, Christian would get guys like Monty and Steiner to take on Angle for him. Angle could take them out, and the matches wouldn't tax him too hard. Then he'd finally get his match against Christian, defeat him, then declare that he wants the World Title (held by Joe, who'd beat Sting for it). Angle/JJ happens for the #1 Contendership, which Angle wins again, and he faces Joe around Slammiversary, where Joe gives him his first loss. Then Angle can get on the comeback trail and win the title at BFG III in a rematch with Joe.

Guest nikowwf

is the losing feeling shit true? thats not very positive. the mets shut down glavine until he got checked from a ton of doctors cause he had numb FINGERS because they felt that could be the symptom of a bigger problem.

Angle had NO feeling below the waist. Holy shit....

From Meltzer

--Obviously the big thing everyone is talking about is the Kurt Angle signing. Some major swerving going on, particularly with Angle's manager, Dave Hawk, claiming Angle had retired on Thursday as a pro wrestler to go into MMA next year, which was after they had inked the TNA deal. I don't know the circumstances that led him there, other than clearly the deal was made when they made the big announcement last week. TNA wanted him from the moment he was let go. This week's Observer is hilarious now since we'd been told TNA wasn't where he'd end up. He was obviously on the very short list of those expected when it was revealed TNA was announcing a new wrestler as the big surprise, yet it was still a complete shock. Whether it really changes the history of wrestling, well, time will tell. Sting didn't. You can read a lot of different opinions Angle all over the place. Angle was not in Orlando last night, and the segment shown at the end of No Surrender of him in a ring was filmed in Nashville on Wednesday night at around 3 a.m., and TNA didn't use anyone from their regular crew, but independent people who all had to sign confidentiality papers, as did the few (and there weren't many, I was told Dixie Carter, Jeff Jarrett and one or two others, with Carter and Angle making the deal themselves) in TNA who knew ahead of time. All of the wrestlers were guessing various names, Angle being among them. From a pure business standpoint, TNA was badly in need of a buzz and this was it. Like with Sting, there will be an initial bump in ratings and buy rate, or at least there should be. Long-term, who knows. Christian Cage didn't have nearly the impact expected for business when he came, although he was a WWE mid-carder who wasn't pushed much, but in WWE was one of those guys crowds reacted to far better than their position, like Matt Hardy. Sting's impact didn't last as long as hoped for. Of course the best thing would be for Angle to probably retire, or at least sit out for several months, but anyone who has followed him and this story knows that isn't going to happen. If he was going to work, the best place would have been WWE on a special schedule, but if not, this is the best place because of the schedule. The idea that TNA would hire someone WWE fired for fear of his own health is both abhorrent, predictable and I don't think the downsides were even worried about too much because of the potential upsides. But from the minute he was let go, everyone wanted the guy.

--His TNA contract is not exclusive. The length is not known, and obviously that's a major key. The shorter the deal, the more likely his decision would be to keep his name in front of the public, and then go back to WWE when all the tensions die down, similar to Jeff Hardy, although Angle is on a far different level in many ways. Obviously if it's multi-years that isn't an issue, but one year with no option years tied in would lead you to believe that's a strategic move.

--Angle's manager, Dave Hawk, said the TNA deal would be in addition to him doing MMA next year and they are still talking with several companies. TNA has confirmed this the deal leaves Angle open to do MMA. How much is posturing at this point is open to speculation, other than he's getting offers from everywhere and his side has proposed a scenario for next year in MMA that is still on the table. He's going to be what he's going to be, but he absolutely should not do both at the same time.

--Angle was at least as of last night not expected to be in Orlando for TV tonight, although I'd think his signing would be the main thing talked on the next two weeks of television. Angle was on the phone several times last night with Carter as the show was going on. He will be at Bound for Glory on 10/22 in Detroit. As of last word, he wasn't scheduled to wrestle on the card.

--TNA moves to 9-10 p.m. on Thursday nights on 11/16. There will be some two hour shows on occasion in that slot, but the regular slot will be one hour. That will be after Ultimate Fighter ends. That's a hard time slot with Grey's Anatomy and CSI in competition, but wrestling is a niche product that only seems to be hurt against a major sporting event or younger skewing male-oriented programming. Unleashed is doing well in that time slot right now.

--Most of last night's show was as had been booked before Vince Russo was brought on. There were some minor changes made. Russo's name was never mentioned on the broadcast. As far as the feelings on him, those vary by the individuals. Most appear open minded about it because most haven't worked with him in the past. Those that did generally have the opinion they had before. Konnan and Raven, for example, always liked him, so were happy. Jim Cornette, well, he'd fit in the other side. Those who have had issues with him in the past were assured he's a completely changed man. It obviously would not have been the move I'd make, but the move was made and he deserves to start with an open slate and be judged on this run, and Jeff Jarrett and Dutch Mantel are working with him. Hopefully he's learned from what he's done both right and wrong in the past. The skepticism is those who have spoken with him are not believing that's the case, but he's not in full control either.

--We'll probably have more on WWE reaction to this later in the week. I'm sure it will be the major topic of conversation at the show tonight. Most were worried he'd do MMA and consider this preferable to that but others are scared about even a short-term schedule in any environment. I didn't sense any feelings of hate or double-crossing like, say, when Lex Luger did something very similar, although I'm sure some may view it that way. Historically, when you look back, that's the closest comparison move, and the move was a key part of a package in establishing a group.

As far as Angle being booked, all they have to do is book him as the unstoppable legit badass monster. They haven't messed that up yet.

He says he was held back for the last 6 years? He'd done everything there is to do by then. Maybe held back the last 2 years, mainly b/c the wwe didn't know what to do with him. Maybe held back in terms of actual wrestling? Why? Just b/c he couldn't take that spinning backflip piledriver off the top rope? A botched piledriver may just kill him.

I don't see TNA using Angle properly and reaching the "next level" with Angle. TNA has signed names before, and we all thought they'd thrust the company up another notch, but they always disappointed. Like WCW back in the day, they take can't-miss opportunities and fumble them.

They have a different writer now, you know.

With the MMA thing, and I don't think anyone's considered this, would any state give him a license to work? I mean, I fucking doubt it.

With the MMA thing, and I don't think anyone's considered this, would any state give him a license to work? I mean, I fucking doubt it.

Mike Tyson vs Kurt Angle on the world wide exhibition tour is going to be so awesome. I can't wait to see them at the Indian Casino.