TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO "Holy shit, Kurt Angle is in TNA now" thread...

Didn't he also tear both of his hamstrings in one match, or something. That's probably not right, but I know hearing of one match where he suffered multiple muscle tears.

Didn't he also tear both of his hamstrings in one match, or something. That's probably not right, but I know hearing of one match where he suffered multiple muscle tears.

He wrestled Van Dam, I think in his last match for the company, and tore his groin and at least two other muscles and needed help to get to the back. And that was just on a house show.

I should have clarified, with working a very limited schedule a month, that will give him time to rehab himself consistently --- work on getting healthier month by month. Not that I'm expecting him to be 110 percent by November, but if he keeps up this limited schedule, versus had to have been working on the road 20 out of 30 days on a good month, there is a good chance he might get somewhere on getting back to a healthy state. Stranger things have happened, especially when you consider Angle is almost superhuman in a sense given his past. To think there is no way he can rehabilitate himself to a healthy and less injury prone state is not thinking out of the box on this subject since guys like Kobashi have most certainly proven that argument wrong.

Kurt isn't going to be getting healthy even working a limited schedule. He's not going to coast on TV and then push himself maybe 50% on PPV. He's going to going all out all the time. That alone is going to harm whatever rehab he's going through.

And we haven't talked about him going from a promotion that has a definitive, if haphazardly enforced drug policy, to a promotion that has no drug policy at all.

Just a crazy idea: he talks about doing "real wrestling" Would it be possible that he goes to this style where he does more simple amateur style instead of the high impact spot style he worked in WWE? Might that be a tad safer? Mind you...I'd really rather he stayed home, but I don't think he would no matter what

He wrestled Van Dam, I think in his last match for the company, and tore his groin and at least two other muscles and needed help to get to the back. And that was just on a house show.

I was at the show- my friend noticed when Angle tore his groin- nasty stuff.

Great match though

Guest Human Highlight Reel
Just a crazy idea: he talks about doing "real wrestling" Would it be possible that he goes to this style where he does more simple amateur style instead of the high impact spot style he worked in WWE? Might that be a tad safer?

He was already working a fairly bump-free style, and he still managed to injure himself three times at a House Show. He also said that he felt WWE held him back, so I don't think he's going to be sticking to that style.

Kurt Angle is not superhuman, he has an incredibly high tolerence for pain. Unfortunatly, just because you ignore an injury, doesn't mean it's not there.

I just hope I don't have to see endless signatures of how "Heaven needed an Olympic Hero!" from the same people who couldn't wait for those dream matches, where his body could go numb again, and he could seriously hurt someone.

They'll be too busy complaining about not being able to see Angle destroy his body even more in dream matches that didn't get to happen.

There is a ZERO chance of that happening

I just hope I don't have to see endless signatures of how "Heaven needed an Olympic Hero!" from the same people who couldn't wait for those dream matches, where his body could go numb again, and he could seriously hurt someone.

They'll be too busy complaining about not being able to see Angle destroy his body even more in dream matches that didn't get to happen.

There is a ZERO chance of that happening

Yep.. because looking forward to Kurt in TNA makes it our fault he dies. Even though you guys sitting there saying "IT'S A DEATHWISH AND HE SHOULDN'T BE WRESTLING", aren't making things any better. Neither of us are DOING anything to stop Kurt from wrestling, or DOING anything to make him wrestle.

The only difference is, we like to look at a bad situation with optimism, while you guys would rather sit there and bitch and moan about a situation that's out of our control.

Everyone gets it, Kurt is in bad shape. Kurt shouldn't be wrestling. Yes, understood. However, Kurt is wrestling, so hopefully he's in better shape than some people are saying, and hopefully he has a good run with TNA.

Just a crazy idea: he talks about doing "real wrestling" Would it be possible that he goes to this style where he does more simple amateur style instead of the high impact spot style he worked in WWE? Might that be a tad safer? Mind you...I'd really rather he stayed home, but I don't think he would no matter what

Wasn't that the point in him working in ECW but got stuck working with RVD and Sabu?

Agreed. The original intent in ECW was to have Angle squash a bunch of guys and let him recover, then eventually do the RVD match on a PPV. I guess it was due to him falling apart faster than anticipated, but they then put him vs. RVD on TV and all the house shows. On those house show matches alone we saw:

--Angle dropping RVD in a suplex and damn near breaking his neck, then blaming Van Dam for it (which endeared him even more to the ECW crew).

--The previously mentioned match where Angle tore up his groin, ripping it off the bone. And tore up his hamstrings.

It was an odd matchup to book if you are desperate to keep a guy healthy. Especially if you recall some of the matches they had during the Invasion, when RVD would bust Angle open one night, then Angle would drop RVD on his head in a suplex and accuse him of sandbagging.

If I'm WWE I'd almost use TNA's signing of Angle to put RVD over. If Angle had stayed on the sidelines or retired I wouldn't have mentioned it, but now I'd frame it like RVD ran Angle out of ECW.

From PWInsider:

For those who have asked about this, Kurt Angle's TNA deal is an exclusive one and he's not going to be doing MMA. I'm not sure on the length at this time. As I theorized earlier in the week, it was all part of a red herring to prevent anyone from guessing Angle as the surprise.

I take it that hes in a lot worse condition than Austin then.

Agreed. The original intent in ECW was to have Angle squash a bunch of guys and let him recover, then eventually do the RVD match on a PPV. I guess it was due to him falling apart faster than anticipated, but they then put him vs. RVD on TV and all the house shows. On those house show matches alone we saw:

--Angle dropping RVD in a suplex and damn near breaking his neck, then blaming Van Dam for it (which endeared him even more to the ECW crew).

--The previously mentioned match where Angle tore up his groin, ripping it off the bone. And tore up his hamstrings.

It was an odd matchup to book if you are desperate to keep a guy healthy. Especially if you recall some of the matches they had during the Invasion, when RVD would bust Angle open one night, then Angle would drop RVD on his head in a suplex and accuse him of sandbagging.

If I'm WWE I'd almost use TNA's signing of Angle to put RVD over. If Angle had stayed on the sidelines or retired I wouldn't have mentioned it, but now I'd frame it like RVD ran Angle out of ECW.

Wrestling's a business, i.e. people want to make money out of it, so it would make perfect sense to run with that.

I think the neck is the one area where Austin might be more worse off than Angle. Other than the neck, the only major problem Austin has is bad knees. For everything else, Austin is almost physical and mental perfection compared to Angle. It helped Austin that, whenever he could, he protected himself a whole lot more than Angle ever did and didn't go balls out all the time.

I think the neck is the one area where Austin might be more worse off than Angle. Other than the neck, the only major problem Austin has is bad knees. For everything else, Austin is almost physical and mental perfection compared to Angle. It helped Austin that, whenever he could, he protected himself a whole lot more than Angle ever did and didn't go balls out all the time.

Thanks. I remember the Benoit Vs. Angle Steel Cage Match on RAW when SCSA was doing color commentary and Angle did the moonsault off the top of the Cage. SCSA tried his best to sound impressed but at the time I always got the impression that inside he was saying what an idiot.

http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/fullnews2.php?all=871

AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH TNA PRESIDENT DIXIE CARTER – PART 1

In a rare interview, TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter on Thursday (Sept. 28, 2006), spoke openly with Ross Forman who has covered pro wrestling for 15 years. Dixie was quite candid, addressing Kurt Angle’s signing, drug use in pro wrestling, TNA’s move to prime-time (Thursdays, 9 p.m. ET/PT, SpikeTV) and even Bill Goldberg.

By Ross Forman

The signing of Kurt Angle by TNA Wrestling will go down as the most pivotal move in the history of the Nashville-based company.

Angle’s long-term contract with TNA is a landmark moment, one that changed the landscape of pro wrestling as we know it. Angle’s acquisition by TNA ranks right there with what the New World Order (nWo) did for World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and pro wrestling in 1996.

Clearly, TNA’s acquisition of Angle makes it easy for the folks at Pro Wrestling Illustrated when they start compiling their annual list of The 10 Biggest News Stories of 2006. This transaction will have ramifications for years to come, without a doubt.

“We’re absolutely thrilled to have signed Kurt Angle. He is a huge addition to the TNA roster,” said TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter. “Once I knew that Kurt would be available, we immediately wanted to talk with him and, hopefully, sign him.”

The Angle announcement at the end of the No Surrender pay-per-view on Sept. 24 was one of those rare wrestling moments – a surprise announcement was hyped, the secret was actually kept and then the announcement lived up to the hype.

Carter said that, before the on-air announcement was made, there were less than 10 people in the company who know for a fact that it would be Angle. And all who had been informed about Angle were first required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement.

“Knowing how big this announcement was for TNA, I just felt it could be one of the true surprises in pro wrestling,” she said.

The Angle signing, though, came with a bit of negative feedback. Fans questioned whether it was too soon following his departure from World Wrestling Entertainment because there were questions about his health status and a rumored drug-use problem.

“Am I shocked by some of the negative response? I’m more saddened by it – for Kurt,” Carter said. “I know this has hurt him very much.

“TNA would never sign a talent, or allow a talent to be in a situation to harm themselves more than the risk each of these guys takes every time they step into the ring. I truly believe that every TNA wrestler, referee, broadcaster and front-office employee knows that their health and their family come first. TNA is their livelihood, and they are all very passionate about it, but it is still just a job.”

As far as you know, what is Kurt Angle’s current health status?

“Kurt has been cleared by his team of doctors to wrestle, and I have that verification from the doctors.”

What did TNA do to make sure that problems in Kurt’s past, including anything drug-related, have been addressed?

“I have personally met with Kurt and his wife. All past medical and pain medication issues have been addressed in depth and to my satisfaction. We have assembled a team of doctors around Kurt to monitor past injuries and also oversee his health on an ongoing basis.

“Kurt will personally address specific questions about his past, not me.”

The issue of drug use in pro wrestling has been a problem for years, with several drug-related deaths. Does that worry you?

“It’s a huge concern, of course. First, one of the benefits of working for TNA Wrestling is the schedule that our talent has, which prevents the enormous, physical strain on a body. Second, our talent does not secure their spot on our roster by the mass of their bodies. If a TNA star is injured, or has personal issues that he or she needs to address, that talent will not be put in a situation where he or she has to wrestle. The talent might still be on-air in a different capacity, but we would never do anything that could lead to further injury. If a leave-of-absence is necessary for treatment, it is an option which we have utilized in the past.”

What is the TNA Wrestling drug policy?

“TNA Wrestling has a very strict drug and alcohol policy, and each contracted talent signs an acknowledgement of the policy set forth. Drug use and alcohol abuse are issues we take very seriously. TNA has the right to conduct random drug-tests and other tests in accordance with government requirements. Violations of the policy are spelled out and failure to comply or failure of a test can result in mandatory drug counseling and treatment, suspension from work without pay, up to and including dismissal. We do not address the specifics of this policy publicly as we are a private company and our talent are independent contractors.”

The fact that you signed Kurt when there was so much discussion that he instead would be signing with an MMA company. Talk about that.

“It is true that all MMA companies have shown an interest in Kurt and, yes, Kurt does have an interest in pursuing MMA opportunities. When the MMA rumors came out recently, Kurt had already signed with TNA; however, TNA was not ready to make the announcement of his joining our company at that time.”

What do you say to everyone else in the TNA Locker Room who, perhaps rightfully so, is worried about their air-time due to Angle’s arrival?

“When a football team signs a superstar quarterback, it benefits the entire team. I’ve never made it a secret that the guys who brought us to the dance will remain a priority to this company. Kurt is well aware of that and supports this belief 100 percent.”

Who do you see as Kurt’s first opponent in TNA?

“There are a multitude of dream-matches for Angle in TNA, but, at this time, I’m not sure who will be the first to step into the ring against Angle.”

How much does Angle’s arrival impact a potential move to two hours on a regular basis?

“The deal to move to prime-time on SpikeTV was done prior to signing Kurt. One thing I think is so great about Kurt is that he wanted to be a part of TNA without even knowing that the company was moving to prime-time. He wanted to make that leap because he knew the potential was there and he wanted to be part of making it happen. That’s how much he wants to be a part of TNA.”

That said, how much will Angle’s presence affect a potential full-time, two-hour time-slot?

“To me, there’s no doubt we are going to two hours; it’s just a matter of when.”

What about Bill Goldberg?

“Bill has a lot of exciting things going on in his career right now. TNA would be the perfect place for him to continue those pursuits while stepping back in the ring to write one last chapter of a storied wrestling career. Bill is very talented and he would be another great addition to our roster.”

You know what I find funny?

This is actually the THIRD "surprise transfer" of Kurt Angle in 2006.

First was him going to Smackdown from Raw and winning the World Title.

Next was him going to ECW and starting by beating up Mick Foley.

And finally, this.

So TNA also has Angle doing indy dates as well. Apprently this new promotion out here in CA reached a teal with TNA and is going to bring Angle in sometime. The indy promotion is called GZW and they've used Sabin and Joe so far and are going to use Petey Williams on the 13th.

Edit: Apprently GZW jumped the gun and Angle will not be doing anything with GZW for right now, but according to their promoter (who runs their myspace and posted two bullentions about this) their still in talks with TNA to try and bring Angle to GZW.

http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/fullnews2.php?all=871

AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH TNA PRESIDENT DIXIE CARTER – PART 1

Part 2 is up. There is a small story about Kurt at the top, and I've posted the rest of it in the CWDWT Thread:

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...t&p=2331909

The Kurt Story - about signing him...

Dixie Carter, president of TNA Wrestling, first spoke with Kurt Angle over Labor Day weekend – a near-90 minute phone conversation while Carter was at her family’s ranch in Texas, Angle at home in Pittsburgh.

“The weather outside that time of year is normally about 110 degrees, but this surprisingly was a cool, rainy day. I was alone outside sitting on a Kawasaki Mule (a covered, 4-seat, 4-wheeler) in the rain having a great conversation with him.”

“At the end of the call, I felt as though we had a verbal agreement of wanting to work together.”

The actual contract was signed days later – when Carter flew to Pittsburgh and met with Angle and his wife, Karen.

“We had in-depth conversations throughout the week and then met in person at their home to discuss final issues face-to-face. We signed the contract that night,” she said.

Carter said the first person she told about the Angle signing was TNA Wrestling owner Bob Carter and then her husband, Serg. These would be the only people to know about the signing for days.

“Your natural instinct is to share exciting news with everyone, but I knew that I couldn’t,” she said. “That was very difficult to do, but to ensure this would remain a secret, only a handful of people would find out, and it was out of necessity for the few who did. Consequently, I had to handle a huge amount of the work that normally our entire staff would have worked on to prepare all the materials we would run at 11:01 ET after the PPV.”

The video footage of Angle that aired in the surprise announcement at No Surrender in September was filmed at a warehouse in downtown Nashville just days before the PPV. The same day it was filmed, Carter met Sting for lunch in a private room at a restaurant in Nashville – and she promised Sting a surprise guest for their lunch.

“I didn’t tell Sting because I really wanted to see the true reaction on his face when he saw Kurt,” Carter said. “When I walked into the restaurant, Sting greeted me but his face was perplexed when Dave Hawk, Kurt’s agent, walked in behind me. You could tell Sting was wondering who Dave was and why he was such a big surprise.”

“Then in walked Kurt, and Sting was truly blown away.”

“Sting kept shaking his head from side to side, and just kept repeating, ‘Wow.’ Sting was almost speechless. I could not help but think of all the people who would have loved to have been in this private room with these two wrestling greats, and in on the secret. It was a memorable lunch, to say the least.”

Ironically, Sting bumped into Vince Russo that morning at their Nashville hotel, and Sting later admitted he thought Russo was going to be Carter’s lunch surprise.

“After lunch, I drove Kurt back to his hotel, and as I was leaving the hotel, Bill Banks called. Bill sounded devastated,” Carter said. “Bill said, ‘It’s out – the secret. It’s been confirmed by multiple (wrestling) websites that Vince Russo is coming back to TNA Wrestling.

“I eventually told Bill, ‘Don’t worry about it; the surprise is not Vince.”

When asked about Russo, Carter said she always has admired his creativity and his heart.

“He truly is one of the most creative people I’ve ever been around, and with the time-slot switch and knowing other exciting things in the company’s near future, it was the right time to bring a fresh set of eyes to the creative process,” Carter said.

..they then go on to talk about Russo, McMahon, etc.