TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Annabelle

"...i thought i hated"

i always hated rock the casbah. i don't know if it was the burger king commercials or overcooked classic rock playlists. BUT after listening to Mustapha Dance off of their super black market clash compliation, i have the newest & fondest appreciation for it. the funky basslines overide drum machine like hiccups as bangos are spanked ferociously. its quite the dance party. furthemore this dub version replaces the dreaded lyrics for delicious electronic swirls & hiccups that evokes the character of an opium den in brazil rather than a beefcake bar in des moines.

anyone else have this?

I still dislike The Clash. Won't deny their influence, but still dislike them.

"London Calling" > "Rock The Casbah"

agree about your second statement. and sorta respect your first. sorta.

A lot of times when you hear something new you don't like it at first. When I get something really new and different I like to listen while I am working or working out or something to just get used to it.

Cathedral was a lot like that. I still don't like their slower doomy stuff but I really dig the more uptempo stuff. But at first listen I absolutely hated all of it.

The one that might be the most surprising for me is 1999. It was the second Prince album I got after Purple Rain, and I just wasn't ready for the long jams in the middle when all I really wanted was "I Would Die 4 U" ten more times. But I went so far as to buy that album used, give it to a friend within a week because I didn't want it, and then get it again about 4 months later. Four years later I love it, though I still hate "Free."

'the bends'. bought it in 95, listened to it for about 6 months, and for some reason none of the songs other than "street spirit" really clicked with me. sold it off, then gave it another shot about 6 years later, and jesus reveals to me all their songwriting prowess and solid guitarwork in an instant.

Guest Felonies!

I went from not caring one way or the other about English Settlement to liking it a bit.

I went from liking Tool to not caring for Tool to loving Tool to not caring for Tool to being annoyed by Tool to not minding Tool to dislike Tool back to being annoyed by Tool and now I've settled on hating Tool.

I've never like "Hey Jude" until this past month, realizing its a damn good song.

I still think Paul McCartney is still a giant douche, thats not going to change.