TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJerk

The OAO 2006 US Elections Thread

Guest Felonies!

Lions-Pats, Chiefs-Browns, and Colts-Titans are all tied up. Weird.

EDIT: Oops.

Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, the Maryland Democrat who will become House majority leader and is writing the schedule for the next Congress, said members should expect longer hours than the brief week they have grown accustomed to [...]

"Keeping us up here eats away at families," said Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), who typically flies home on Thursdays and returns to Washington on Tuesdays. "Marriages suffer. The Democrats could care less about families -- that's what this says."

Oh, my god.

This is the shit that needs to get published.

Anyone who raises a family and works six days a week to feed them would probably be surprised to hear that it's just as hard working twoish days a week...

But all that Patriotic work that Republicans do has to be taxing. I mean just look at all the great legislation they've passed! And all that money they have spent has to require some serious effort.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Are they going to legislate themselves a raise if they have to work more hours?

Due to Tim Johnson's 'apparent stroke' & the subsequent possible selection of a Republican replacement Senator, the Senate may be tied.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

The appointment only lasts 90 days, though, so the Democrats could still win it back promptly.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A spokesman for Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson said the politician did not suffer a stroke or heart attack, contrary to initial reports after Johnson was taken to a Washington hospital, weeks before his party was to take control of the Senate by a one-vote margin.

[...]Spokeswoman Julianne Fisher said he then walked back to his Capitol office but appeared to not be feeling well. The Capitol physician came to his office and examined him, and it was decided he should go to the hospital.

He was taken to the hospital by ambulance around noon, Fisher said.

"It was caught very early," she said.

I had also heard that that the Governor may only select a replacement upon the death of the Senator, though I havent actually read up on South Dakota rule.

If he dies, will a certain leader of the free world call it a "mandate from God"?

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

I don't know, will there be a bunch of blogs accusing Halliburton of murder?

The appointment only lasts 90 days, though, so the Democrats could still win it back promptly.

South Dakota Secretary of State Chris Nelson said the appointment would fill the vacancy until a general election could be held in November 2008.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/14/joh....ill/index.html

My prediction is that the Senate outcome will be 49-49-2, with Lieberman and Sanders caucusing with the Democrats. The outcome won't be know for a while, though, because of absentee ballots. The biggest reason for this is that not enough Republican senators are up for re-election to make that big of an impact.

Funny how I never gloated about this.