TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Preseason Thread

I was going to wait until next week to start this, but the suspense is killing me.

Here's some questions for you guys, if you don't mind.

1) Who will win the MVP?

2) Who will win the ROTY?

3) Which team will be most improved in 2005-06?

4) What player(s) is most likely have a breakout season?

5) What team had the best offseason?

6) What team had the worst offseason?

7) What one move will make the biggest impact?

8) What was the most surprising move of the offseason?

9) What was the most underrated move of the offseason?

10) What was the single worst move of the offseason?

11) What team(s) will move into the playoff picture?

12) What team(s) will fall out of the playoff picture?

13) Who is the best player in the league at each position?

14) Will Isiah Thomas still be with the Knicks after this season?

15) Will Kevin Garnett still be with the Wolves after this season?

16) Will Allen Iverson still be with the Sixers after this season?

17) Division winners:

18) Eastern Conference Finals:

19) Western Conference Finals:

20) NBA Finals:

21) Make one bold prediction.

Note that when I say "best/worst moves", I'm referring to players.

1) Who will win the MVP? Dirk Nowitzki. They can't deny him forever.

2) Who will win the ROTY? Adam Morrison

3) Which team will be most improved in 2005-06? With good health, Utah. If not, Chicago.

4) What player(s) is most likely have a breakout season? Josh Smith

5) What team had the best offseason? San Antonio

6) What team had the worst offseason? Memphis

7) What one move will make the biggest impact? Ben Wallace to the Bulls.

8) What was the most surprising move of the offseason? Ben Wallace leaving Detroit.

9) What was the most underrated move of the offseason? Shane Battier going to the Rockets.

10) What was the single worst move of the offseason? Nene's contract.

11) What team(s) will move into the playoff picture? Orlando, Houston, Utah

12) What team(s) will fall out of the playoff picture? Milwaukee, LA Lakers, Memphis

13) Who is the best player in the league at each position? Nash, Bryant, McGrady, Garnett, Yao

14) Will Isiah Thomas still be with the Knicks after this season? No

15) Will Kevin Garnett still be with the Wolves after this season? No

16) Will Allen Iverson still be with the Sixers after this season? Yes

17) Division winners: New Jersey, Chicago, Miami, San Antonio, Utah, Phoenix

18) Eastern Conference Finals: Miami over Chicago

19) Western Conference Finals: San Antonio over Phoenix

20) NBA Finals: San Antonio over Miami

21) Make one bold prediction. Gilbert Arenas will, in fact, get his 50 against the Suns and Blazers.

Guest Felonies!

1) Who will win the MVP?

Kobe Bryant

LaMarcus Aldridge

Chicago Bulls

Dwight Howard

Chicago Bulls

New York Knicks

Don Nelson to the Golden State Warriors

I'm not sure

Ronaldo Balkman

Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers

Milwaukee Bucks

Too much work

No

No

Yes

6) What team had the worst offseason? Memphis

I just wanted to get your reasoning on this Alfdogg. Is it because of what happened to Pau Gasol? I think the Grizzlies are gonna be a solid team again this year that I pray to the lord will get a playoff win.

EDIT: And the Knicks were sitting right there ready for that question. RIGHT THERE!

Gasol played into it, yes. But I just wasn't a big fan of the trade they made with the Rockets. Battier is an excellent role player; a good outside shooter and good perimeter defender. You just don't trade guys like him for an unproven rookie, and one of the biggest draft busts of the decade. It wasn't a clear-cut decision by any means, though, I wavered on them and Toronto for quite a while.

However, Gasol injury was the only reason I cut them out of the playoffs. He was a top-10 MVP candidate last year, IMO, and if he's healthy, they're right there. Had the league not cock-blocked them when they wanted to move to the East in the re-alignment, they could be Finals contenders.

I see where your coming from Alf. I do think Stromile Swift seems to be fit for the Grizzlies. He did well while he was here. It is a fucking shame we gave up one of the most reliabile players you can find out there for intangibles in Shane Battier. I FUCKING LOVE the draft we had though. That is gonna help some while Gasol heals for the first couple of months. I think this team is playoff bound. Lower half of the seedings though. I might be tempted to give them the 4 spot if we had Gasol the whole year.

I can agree with Czech on this...

Ronaldo Balkman

Good times, good times...

That's where being in the Southwest kills them. The three division winners all get automatic top 4 seeds, along with the next best record. So to be a top 4, they'd have to finish better than San Antonio or Dallas, and I don't see them doing that even with a healthy Gasol.

I feel the same way with the Pacers. They're certainly good enough to be a top 4 team, but it's highly unlikely with the division we play in featuring five playoff-caliber teams, including Chicago and Cleveland who are probably both top 4.

I was going to wait until next week to start this, but the suspense is killing me.

Here's some questions for you guys, if you don't mind.

1) Who will win the MVP? Kobe Bryant

2) Who will win the ROTY? Adam Morrison

3) Which team will be most improved in 2005-06? The Atlanta Hawks are a playoff team.

4) What player(s) is most likely have a breakout season? Shawn Livingston

5) What team had the best offseason? Chicago Bulls

6) What team had the worst offseason? The Golden State Warriors had to do something. They did something, but it wasn't a good thing. Mike Montgomery is a good coach, that core just will never be one that can get a team to the playoffs.

7) What one move will make the biggest impact? Ben Wallace to the Bulls

8) What was the most surprising move of the offseason? Peja to the Hornets. I didn't expect it at all.

9) What was the most underrated move of the offseason? Battier to the Rockets. They needed a shooter, they got it.

10) What was the single worst move of the offseason? Balkman.

11) What team(s) will move into the playoff picture? Atlanta, Orlando, the Hornets, Rockets, Jazz

12) What team(s) will fall out of the playoff picture? Washington, Milwaukee, Memphis, Denver, Sacramento

13) Who is the best player in the league at each position? Nash, Kobe, McGrady, Duncan, Yao

14) Will Isiah Thomas still be with the Knicks after this season? Yes, they'll get close to the playoffs.

15) Will Kevin Garnett still be with the Wolves after this season? He won't be with them by the beginning of January.

16) Will Allen Iverson still be with the Sixers after this season? He'll get traded after this season.

17) Division winners: Miami, Chicago, New Jersey, San Antonio, Utah, Los Angeles Clippers

18) Eastern Conference Finals: Chicago over Miami

19) Western Conference Finals: San Antonio over the Lakers (Something will happen to the Suns this year, causing them to get 4th while the Lakers get the 6th spot and sneak their way in. I hope.)

20) NBA Finals: San Antonio over Chicago

21) Make one bold prediction. The Detroit Pistons will take the 8TH spot.

Also, my Lakers to Conference Finals scenario hinges on Steve Nash getting hurt. That's the only way they'll fall out of 1st in the Pacific. I would have liked more questions, like which player/team has the most to prove.

The Lakers are a tough one to call. You'd like to think Kobe will keep going with the style that worked in the playoffs, and if he does, they're potentially a top 5 seed in the West. After game 7, though, I'm somewhat inclined to think he'll revert to regular season form, and they'll really struggle to get in.

I think they're going to come to a crossroad with Odom and they're going to deal him, and the player(s) they get will push them. The addition of Radmanovic only helps, because the team likes to take so many 3's.

Kobe's regular season form is good enough for them to beat certain teams, but not any of the top 4 in each conference. That's when he needs to switch it up.

They're a wildcard this season, with the coaching and knowing what Kobe can bring to the table. I still think they're one player short.

Oh, and unless someone were to highlight my Los Angeles division pick, they'd think I was talking about the Lakers. The other team in this town is my pick.

Even though this isn't in the spirit of the rest of the thread so far, I thought I'd throw in that according to ESPN.com, Bonzi Wells signs a a year deal with the Rockets. Contract has a player option for a 2nd year, but there's not a chance in hell Bonzi exercises it since that'll make the deal only $5 million over 2 years. Still though, for at least this year it gives the Rockets a starting 5 of:

C - Yao Ming

PF - Shane Battier

SF - Tracy McGrady

SG - Bonzi Wells

PG - Rafer Alston

With a bench that includes Dikembe Mutombo, Kirk Snyder, Casey Jacobsen, Steve Novak, Chuck Hayes, John Lucas III, and Vassillis Spanoulis, this gives Van Grumpy all sorts of matchups he can go to as the situation calls for it (small, big, outside shooting, defense). Assuming Bonzi doesn't go bonkers in an attempt to proves that he's worth what he thinks he's worth and instead plays like he did in the playoffs, this could be one of the better starting 5s in the league IMO.

1) Who will win the MVP?

Kobe Bryant.

Brandon Roy.

Minnesota.

Andre Iguodala, Josh Smith

Chicago.

Boston.

Ben Wallace to the Bulls

The Ford-Villanueva trade, or the Peja signing.

Ford for Villanueva. Both teams will benefit greatly.

Darrel Armstrong for Anthony Johnson.

Orlando, New Orleans, Houston

Memphis, Philadelphia

C - Yao Ming

PF - Kevin Garnett

SF - LeBron James. Fuck T-Mac.

SG - Kobe Bryant

PG - Dwyane Wade

No.

Yes.

Yes.

17) Division winners:

New Jersey, Detroit, Miami, Phoenix, Minnesota, San Antonio

Detroit vs. New Jersey

Phoenix vs. Dallas

20) NBA Finals:

Phoenix vs. Detroit

The Clippers will knock San Antonio out of the Playoffs.

I'll throw this one out there since I have high hopes for them too. How far will the Cilippers go this season? They were able to get Sam Cassell back which is a huge deal for that team. He's gotta be one of the more underrated players in the league. And Elton Brand is FINALLY, FINALLY getting the recognition he deserves. Throw is Tim Thomas, Maggette, and Mobley (who is a threat to light up your team in any game) and they may be able to unseat Phoenix in their division.

Even though this isn't in the spirit of the rest of the thread so far, I thought I'd throw in that according to ESPN.com, Bonzi Wells signs a a year deal with the Rockets. Contract has a player option for a 2nd year, but there's not a chance in hell Bonzi exercises it since that'll make the deal only $5 million over 2 years. Still though, for at least this year it gives the Rockets a starting 5 of:

C - Yao Ming

PF - Shane Battier

SF - Tracy McGrady

SG - Bonzi Wells

PG - Rafer Alston

With a bench that includes Dikembe Mutombo, Kirk Snyder, Casey Jacobsen, Steve Novak, Chuck Hayes, John Lucas III, and Vassillis Spanoulis, this gives Van Grumpy all sorts of matchups he can go to as the situation calls for it (small, big, outside shooting, defense). Assuming Bonzi doesn't go bonkers in an attempt to proves that he's worth what he thinks he's worth and instead plays like he did in the playoffs, this could be one of the better starting 5s in the league IMO.

Juwan Howard gets no respect...

And how about that Luther Head guy? He might make the team.

I like the Rockets pieces, but I'm waiting to see how they fit together on the court, and if McGrady can actually stay on it in one piece.

I'm also skeptical about Battier playing the 4. Dirk, Duncan, Brand, Garnett, Kwame Brown.....how is he supposed to guard those guys?

1) Who will win the MVP? Dirk Nowitzki AKA the guy who should have won it last year.

2) Who will win the ROTY? Morrison or Roy, it's a coin flip.

3) Which team will be most improved in 2005-06? Da Bulls, thanks to Isiah.

4) What player(s) is most likely have a breakout season? Nenad Kristic

5) What team had the best offseason? Da Bulls, thanks to Isiah again.

6) What team had the worst offseason? The Knicks, guess why?

7) What one move will make the biggest impact? Big Ben leaving the Pistons

8) What was the most surprising move of the offseason? Peja choosing obscurity

9) What was the most underrated move of the offseason? Battier to the Rockets

10) What was the single worst move of the offseason? Nene getting a ridiculously huge contract, Isiah drafting Balkman

11) What team(s) will move into the playoff picture? Orlando, Utah, the Hornets & Houston

12) What team(s) will fall out of the playoff picture? Bucks, Nuggets, Kings & Memphis without Pao

PG - Chris Paul

SG - Kobe by a hair over Wade

SF - LeBron

PF - Dirk

C - Shaq by a hair over Yao

14) Will Isiah Thomas still be with the Knicks after this season? Of course, Dolan loves him.

15) Will Kevin Garnett still be with the Wolves after this season? No

16) Will Allen Iverson still be with the Sixers after this season? No

17) Division winners: Nets, Cavs, Heat, Jazz, Mavs, Suns

18) Eastern Conference Finals: Heat def. Cavs in 7

19) Western Conference Finals: Mavs def. Spurs in 7

20) NBA Finals: Mavs def. Heat in 6

East - Detroit will NOT make the playoffs. Yeah, I went there.

West - Phoenix will win less games this year than last despite adding Amare.

I'll throw this one out there since I have high hopes for them too. How far will the Cilippers go this season? They were able to get Sam Cassell back which is a huge deal for that team. He's gotta be one of the more underrated players in the league. And Elton Brand is FINALLY, FINALLY getting the recognition he deserves. Throw is Tim Thomas, Maggette, and Mobley (who is a threat to light up your team in any game) and they may be able to unseat Phoenix in their division.

I think the Clippers will be looking at about as much success as they had last year. Playoffs for sure, can probably advance to 2nd round or even the conference finals depending on how the teams fall. Don't see 'em as a championship contender, though. They moved laterally by making 2 moves in the off season that basically cancelled each other out (losing Vlad, getting Thomas). Actually, Thomas is probably a net gain, but not a huge difference maker. I was really hoping they'd get the AI deal that was rumored over the summer.

If T-Mac plays in early 05 form and Yao plays in early 06 form while both guys stay healthy, watch out for the Rockets. I like some of the spot-up shooters and defenders signed in the off season, but it all comes back to the big two staying healthy. If they can, I'll say the Rockets are a top 4 team.

If T-Mac plays in early 05 form and Yao plays in early 06 form while both guys stay healthy, watch out for the Rockets. I like some of the spot-up shooters and defenders signed in the off season, but it all comes back to the big two staying healthy. If they can, I'll say the Rockets are a top 4 team.

Both guys are brittle. The Rockets would almost be better off backdooring their way into a 6/7/8 seed and getting those two rested and healthy for a playoff run. I can't see a way both of them play 70+ at a high level, which is a shame because they've got a really strong 1-2 punch I'd like to see in the postseason. I also enjoy seeing just how deep the bags under Van Gundy's eyes can get and can only imagine how little sleep he'd be operating on if the Rockets made it to the Conference Finals or NBA Finals.

I was just about to click back to the sports forum until I came across that Google ad at the top of the thread. Umm...

See Kwame Brown play live

Lakers Tickets - Lakers News Lakers Rumors - Lakers History

www.losangeleslakersonline.com

Yeah.

Juwan Howard gets no respect...

And how about that Luther Head guy? He might make the team.

I like the Rockets pieces, but I'm waiting to see how they fit together on the court, and if McGrady can actually stay on it in one piece.

I'm also skeptical about Battier playing the 4. Dirk, Duncan, Brand, Garnett, Kwame Brown.....how is he supposed to guard those guys?

That's why I said the bench INCLUDES so and so. It was almost 4:30 in the morning, I was kinda out of it. I actually did remember both after I submitted, but I didn't feel like editing it.

As for Battier playing the 4, who can cover guys like Brand, Garnett, and Dirk? If JVG wants, he can slide McGrady over to the 4 and have Battier playing against the 3. Perimter quickness would suffer, but since the defensive scheme funnels everything towards the lane, that's not a big deal. I'd prefer to think that Van Gundy would try to get others to matchup with his team, not the other way around.

1) Who will win the MVP? Elton Brand

2) Who will win the ROTY? Randy Foye

3) Which team will be most improved in 2005-06? Orlando

4) What player(s) is most likely have a breakout season? Dwight Howard WILL be an All-Star, Delonte West

5) What team had the best offseason? Phoenix definately strengthened with their bench, if they choose to use them

6) What team had the worst offseason? I think New Orleans. I don't think Peja is worth as much as they gave him. I'll be interesting to see if he can mesh with Chris Paul.

7) What one move will make the biggest impact? Big Ben Wallace to the Bulls

8) What was the most surprising move of the offseason? No movement for Wilcox or Gooden

9) What was the most underrated move of the offseason? Ford for Villanueva helped both teams out

10) What was the single worst move of the offseason? Huge contract to Peja

11) What team(s) will move into the playoff picture? Orlando and I think Charlotte may have a chance

12) What team(s) will fall out of the playoff picture? The only one I feel comfortable about right now is Memphis because their major move was for a rookie, but no Gasol til the New Year or close to it...

C - Shaq, if he comes to play

PF - Kevin Garnett (I think Dwight Howard will have a huge breakout this year this season though, getting him toward that level...)

SF - LeBron James

SG - Kobe Bryant (closely followed by D-Wade)

PG - Chris Paul

14) Will Isiah Thomas still be with the Knicks after this season? Yes, for their sake I hope not... but I think he will stay, even if it is just switching him to just coach and taking away his GM duties

15) Will Kevin Garnett still be with the Wolves after this season? Yes

16) Will Allen Iverson still be with the Sixers after this season? Yes

17) Division winners: Dallas, Phoenix, Minnesota, New Jersey, Miami, Chicago

18) Eastern Conference Finals: Chicago vs. Miami

19) Western Conference Finals: Phoenix vs. Dallas

20) NBA Finals: Phoenix vs. Chicago - 14 years later

21) Make one bold prediction. Celtics and Bobcats will be .500 teams this season

1) Who will win the MVP? Toss up between Lebron James and Kobe Bryant. Records be damned.

2) Who will win the ROTY? Randy Foye or Adam Morrison. Most likely Morrison

3) Which team will be most improved in 2005-06? The Atlanta Hawks.

4) What player(s) is most likely have a breakout season? Josh Smith.

5) What team had the best offseason? Toss up, Chicago Bulls or Phoenix Suns.

6) What team had the worst offseason? Um....Philly. They didn't do ANYTHING.

7) What one move will make the biggest impact? Hopefully Marcus Banks to Phoenix.

8) What was the most surprising move of the offseason? Bonzi Wells signing to Houston for like 5 cent and a lollipop.

9) What was the most underrated move of the offseason? The moves that the Hawks made.

10) What was the single worst move of the offseason? Nuggets....Nene...nuff said.

11) What team(s) will move into the playoff picture? Hawks, Hornets, Orlando.

12) What team(s) will fall out of the playoff picture? Philly, Memphis, any bottom team in the East.

13) Who is the best player in the league at each position? Point Guard: Steve Nash Shooting Guard: Kobe Bryant or Dwayne Wade Small Forward: Lebron James Power Forward: Dirk Center: I guess Yao...wasn't a really impressive year for Centers.

14) Will Isiah Thomas still be with the Knicks after this season? Yes, because they will greatly improve from last years record.

15) Will Kevin Garnett still be with the Wolves after this season? Maybe. Depends on how well Griffin and Foye play. I say probably.

16) Will Allen Iverson still be with the Sixers after this season? I doubt it. If ticket sales don't rise, they will go ahead and move him. Probably by the break if they aren't winning.

17) Division winners: Dude...I don't have time to look up who is in each division.

18) Eastern Conference Finals: Here I am on my big ass limb.....Cavs, Heat.

19) Western Conference Finals: Suns, Spurs

20) NBA Finals: Suns, Cavs. Yeah...I said it.

21) Make one bold prediction. The Atlanta Hawks will take the 7th or 8th position in the east.

1) Who will win the MVP?

LeBron James

Adam Morrison

New York Knicks

Josh Smith or Danny Granger. Also, look out for J.R. Smith in Denver IF he can stay on George Karl's good side

New Orleans Hornets

Detroit Pistons

Golden State hires Don Nelson, returns to playoffs

Tim Duncan @ UFC 62

Utah acquires Derek Fisher

Steve Nash shaves head

New York Knicks, Boston Celtics, Orlando Magic, Houston Rockets, Utah Jazz, Golden State Warriors, NOKC Hornets - all in the picture, not saying they'll all make it

Memphis Grizzlies

PG - Steve Nash

SG - Dwayne Wade (Kobe is disqualified for being a total bitch who stopped shooting in a game 7 to try and prove a point)

SF - LeBron James

PF - Dirk Nowitzki

C - Tim Duncan

YES

YES

YES

17) Division winners:

SPURS

SUNS

NUGGETS

BULLS

KNICKS

HEAT

CLEVELAND OVER CHICAGO

SUNS OVER MAVS

20) NBA Finals:

SUNS OVER CAVS

see question 17

1) Who will win the MVP?

Kobe if he pulls off the Wilt against the Raptors

LaMarcus Alridge

Houston Rockets

Francisco Garcia

Tie between Houston and Chicago

Detroit

Ben Wallace to Detroit

Bonzi Wells having shitty representation

The re-up of D-Wade

See #8

New Orleans

Minnesota and the Lakers

SF- Ron Artest

PF- Elton Brand

SG- Dwayne Wade

PG- Chauncey Billups

C- Amare Stoudemire

He'll be gone by mid January

He'll be elsewhere in the west

Probably not

17) Division winners:

Chicago, New Jersey, Miami, Houston, Phoenix, Denver

Chicago over New Jersey

Sacramento over Phoenix

20) NBA Finals:

Sacramento over Chicago

The Bond Measures will fail and during the All Star Break Joe and Gavin will announce the move of Sacramento to Anaheim or Vegas

1) Who will win the MVP?

King James

Brandon Roy, Portland is a wreck he should be able to put up huge numbers

Houston, they finished 14 games under .500 because of injuries

Marvin Williams, no Al Harrington to take up his minutes

Chicago, fixed rebounding and inside defense problems

Detroit, lost Big Ben and replaced him with a 2nd rate Center. I bet they'd like Darko back now.

Ben Wallace to Chicago/ Ben Wallace leaving Detroit

Pacers not resigning Anthony Johnson

Villanueva for TJ Ford

Detroit replacing Ben Wallace with Nazr instead of Chris Willcox

NO/OK City, Houston, Orlando, maybe Golden State

Memphis, Sacramento, Detroit maybe Clippers

PG Nash, SG D-Wade, SF Lebron, PF Brand, C Amare

Yes, New York is dumb as hell

Yes, his contract is to big

No, I think Philly will move him to a team with some expiring contracts so they can rebuild

17) Division winners:

West: Denver, Dallas, Phoenix East:Chicago, Miami, New Jersey by default

Chicago vs. Cleveland

San Antonio vs. Phoenix

20) NBA Finals:

Phoenix vs. Chicago

Detroit will miss the playoffs

17) Division winners: Dude...I don't have time to look up who is in each division.

Atlantic: BOS, NJ, NY, PHI, TOR

Central: CHI, CLE, DET, IND, MIL

SE: ATL, CHA, MIA, ORL, WAS

NW: DEN, MIN, POR, UTAH, SEA

SW: DAL, HOU, MEM, NO/OK, SA

Pacific: GS, LAC, LAL, PHX, SAC

Also, Anthony Johnson was traded, he wasn't a FA. That undoubtedly is right up there with Nene's contract in terms of boneheaded moves.

I was just about to click back to the sports forum until I came across that Google ad at the top of the thread. Umm...

See Kwame Brown play live

Lakers Tickets - Lakers News Lakers Rumors - Lakers History

www.losangeleslakersonline.com

Yeah.

I'm ordering right now!