TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

WON TNA News + Notes

Sting has been offered the same terms for 2007 as he was for 2006. TNA feel the money is worth it to have the star power on the show and it will help the companies long term growth.

Scott Steiner isn't being used due to a contract dispute. The problem is that TNA wants to control his indy bookings and take his pay from them, only to then give him the money from them in monthly balloon payments.

The Ultimate X Tag match was moved from the Main Event possition as Jeff wanted to be in the ring when the Angle announcement was made. AJ, Konnan and Daniels were not happy about that at all.

Cornette has agreed to stay with Russo with the following conditions,

a) Russo isn't allowed to talk to him

b) Russo isn't allowed to have anything to do with Cornette's on screen segments

c) Russo isn't allowed in the same room as him.

Dave says Christian comes across as a wrestler playing a heel, rather than as a heel which is hurting his angle with Rhino.

Says that Joe is now a just a better working Raven. The former hot babyface who failed when faced with Jeff and as a result of that is now struggling to mean anything.

Sabin, Dutt and Lethal asked backstage for advise about the negative reaction they were getting for the Jackass stuff during their matches. The crowd reaction has not gone unnoticed, and the plan now is to just do the Jackass stuff backstage and no longer infront of an audience.

Dory Funk was supposed to be one of the legends with Cornette in the ring on Impact. He was at the tapings, but not used.

Guest DMN
Cornette has agreed to stay with Russo with the following conditions,

a) Russo isn't allowed to talk to him

b) Russo isn't allowed to have anything to do with Cornette's on screen segments

c) Russo isn't allowed in the same room as him.

You gotta love Jim Cornette.

Oh, and the Steiner thing makes no sense. If I was Steiner, I'd be pissed about it too.

Sabin, Dutt and Lethal asked backstage for advise about the negative reaction they were getting for the Jackass stuff during their matches. The crowd reaction has not gone unnoticed, and the plan now is to just do the Jackass stuff backstage and no longer infront of an audience.

Ok so they know the audience shit all over the Jackass stuff. Why do they think the television audience is ay different? I havent heard anyone who thinks this stuff is a good idea. Doing it in backstage segments will reduce the negative attention but why even stick with it if most people dislike it? Or do they have to do it because they have some contract with jackass for promoting the new movie?

Good God they are supposed to be faces?

I just thought this horrible Jackass stuff was just a semi clever way to turn them heel, which wouldn't be a bad idea since they are pretty horrible and bland as faces.

Yeah I agree. If these guys are faces then why is Senshi the heel in any of it? The guy is out there winning matches for the most part clean and doesn't cheat or anything.

I really disagree about Joe being like Raven at this point though. Look, anyone with a semblance of a brain knows TNA has to put the title on Joe fairly soon or he really will lose a lot of steam. It's not like he's been jobbing to Jarrett, he's crushed the guy every time they have crossed paths (tag match, non title, etc.).

I remember Meltzer saying a while back that the plan for Joe was for him to be the top guy...but he's got a long contract and there was no rush.

The problem they've run into is that he's been undefeated for a ridiculous long time...pinned the champion clean twice...

And there's still no end game in sight for when the move is made.

It would seem that since he's carrying around the belt right now that he isn't far off from that storyline...but then he gets booked into Monsters Ball with 3 guys that he isn't feuding with.

That's not just unfair to Joe...its kind of unfair to the other 3 guys too. They've been feuding with each other for a couple of months...and now on the "blowoff" ppv...none of them are going to win the match.

That being said...I don't really have an answer for what they should have done with Joe given that Sting already had the title shot. Putting him with Runt and Abyss and Raven brings up some fresh and good opponents...and there really isn't a "name" like Lyger last year that I can think of worth bringing in.

At least being in Monster's Ball gives him a chance to put on a spectacle that might be able to compete with LAX/AJDaniels as a showstopper.

If the X division hadn't fallen on such hard times I'd have had Senshi vs. Joe and had Joe lose. Sounds strange...but at least it would give credability to Senshi and the title. And it's not like Joe's star isn't fading anyway.

Well...whatever. As soon as he stands accross from Angle in the ring I get the feeling that his spark will be completely reignited anyway.

As for the Jackass stuff well it sucks and reaks of WWF Hardcore 24/7 rules crap now if they want to be funny they should have the guys break bricks backstage then have Senshi walk by and react in a serious manner. It would go something like this:

Dutt: Which brick should I break?

Sabin: Gee I don't know what about this one

Lethal: No bottom one

*Dutt breaks brick*

Senshi: Very good but brick not hit back

That's not just unfair to Joe...its kind of unfair to the other 3 guys too. They've been feuding with each other for a couple of months...and now on the "blowoff" ppv...none of them are going to win the match.

But we know Joe isn't allowed to win 3 or 4 man matches. He'll just go up the ramp fighting with Jarrett while Raven pins Abyss and Runt is laid out.

Look, anyone with a semblance of a brain knows TNA has to put the title on Joe fairly soon or he really will lose a lot of steam. It's not like he's been jobbing to Jarrett, he's crushed the guy every time they have crossed paths (tag match, non title, etc.).

People with a brain know it, but that doesn't mean that is what will happen.

And really, what has Joe gained by beating Jarrett? What does anyone gain? The person beating him stays where they were, and Jarrett stays where he is. Nothing changes.

Samoa Joe has lost stream across the board, not just in TNA. In ROH, he has fallen from being "THE MAN" to being just another upper card attraction. His upcoming series of matches with Danielson usually would be getting alot of talk but even to his core fanbase, he appears to be burnt out.

In TNA, it's a matter of stupid booking that has Joe looking like a man with no purpose and doesn't look he really did anything. In ROH, it's a matter of the fans moving away from the "Samoa Joe Show".

He really needs to recharge and find that momentum he had just 8 months ago.

Guest sarcy
Samoa Joe has lost stream across the board, not just in TNA. In ROH, he has fallen from being "THE MAN" to being just another upper card attraction. His upcoming series of matches with Danielson usually would be getting alot of talk but even to his core fanbase, he appears to be burnt out.

In TNA, it's a matter of stupid booking that has Joe looking like a man with no purpose and doesn't look he really did anything. In ROH, it's a matter of the fans moving away from the "Samoa Joe Show".

I think its more like people are realizing the fact that almost all of his TNA matches have been glorified squash matches that people eat up because "wow, didn't know a guy his size could do that".

I was at NYC 9/16, he got by far the biggest star reaction of the night, and had an incredible aura. It has been this way all year. He has been booked as more of a midcard guy because they have wanted to focus on non-TNA guys, but when Joe steps into big matches he is still by far the biggest star.

TNA on the other hand has completely killed his star because they are incredibly incompetent. He was super hot at the end of his X division reign going into the Steiner program, but the program ended flat, and since then he has been thrown into TNA's horrible upper midcard black hole.

The Jarrett stuff has killed Joe because nobody actually cares about Jarrett, and Joe is forced to work boring heatless matches that mean nothing. He has been booked as an afterthought, and has lost all his steam as a result. However, he is still super over at most arenas, and I think in Detroit he will get a huge pop, even though he is working a meaningless match.

Here is a plan to bring Joe back:

1) Joe starts a path of destruction. He can claim he is being held down, and then just start absolutely destroying anybody and everybody in his way. I don't mean just choking them out, I mean brutalizing everybody in a huge path of destruction to get TNA management's attention, ending with Lex Luger and Buff Bagwell (who he should dispose of in less than a minute).

2) As a result of the last thing, Sting stands up to Joe, and puts his title on the line even though TNA management is against the match. Joe wins.

3) The Angle feud. I think this is something that should follow my idea above, and the spark will be lit.

Just a thought.

Who would have thought that working with Scott Steiner would be the peak of Joe's TNA run so far?

They should have kept that feud going. There was still juice in it...and it's not like they had a plan for Joe after it was over.

I think TNA's problem is that they look at moving Joe up the ladder as more "making people think of Joe as a top guy like our other top guys who aren't in his league..." and not "Hey Joe's the man".

They should just refocus his character on dominating people until he faces Angle.

Didn't Scott Steiner pretty much win that feud? He didn't beat Joe, but he is the one who cost him the title I believe. I wasn't watching all the time back then, so maybe I'm wrong. I liked what I saw of the two working together though. For the first time in years, I was actually impressed with Steiner's work. It really revealed just how badly WWE misused the guy.

How exactly did WWE misuse Steiner? They gave him a world title feud out of the gate, but he fucked it up so insanely bad at the 03 Rumble that there's no way I'd have ever pushed him again.

This stuff about Joe getting buried is so silly. Here is what will likely happen: Joe wins that Monster's Ball. After that he simply challenges the Sting/Jarrett winner (I'm thinking Sting) and then crushes the champ for the belt at the Dec. PPV.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Joe was still hot after beating Steiner in June at Slammiversary, with a running powerslam, he should've had a rematch with Steiner at the next PPV, and choked Steiner out. But at the next PPV in July, he was put in that stupid 15 minute long No.1 Contender four-way with Sting, Christian, and Steiner, losing to Sting at Victory Road. It should've been Sting/Christian for the No.1 Contendership, and Joe/Steiner II in a singles match. He's been cooling off ever since that 3-way feud with Rhino and Monty Brown, where no matter what happened, everyone knew Joe was coming out with the win, which he did at Hard Justice in August defeating Rhino and Brown in a Falls Count Anywhere match. He needs to kill everyone in the Monster's Ball match at Bound For Glory II, kill Abyss at Genesis in November, and get the title at the December PPV/early 2007.

How exactly did WWE misuse Steiner? They gave him a world title feud out of the gate,

And there ya go.

There are times when pushing someone hard very fast is misuse of them, and with Steiner that was the case. TNA had a plan for him, and it worked out great for the most part. It put Joe over, breathed new life into Steiner's career, and overall helped everyone involved. Hell, I think they've got more out of Steiner than Sting so far, in terms of what it's done for all involved.

That's not to say that I think Sting has been useless, I don't think that at all.

Guest Coffey
As for the Jackass stuff well it sucks and reaks of WWF Hardcore 24/7 rules crap now if they want to be funny they should have the guys break bricks backstage then have Senshi walk by and react in a serious manner. It would go something like this:

*Dutt breaks brick*

"We honor your invitation."

"No shit ya do!"

Guest Cannonball K

See, I figure that Sting beats Jarrett, Joe keeps the belt, and Sting wants the belt... so he has to go through Joe to get it - However w/ Angle thrown into the mix, who knows

Anything that involves Jarrett hurts the other guy, cause he's f'n jeff jarrett. That's why it's so ridiculous with Sting/Jarrett being the biggest match in TNA history because you're automatically out of contention if Jarrett is involved. I still see him as a barely top midcard guy and putting older bigger stars with him doesnt raise his level it brings everything down more.

The stuff with him wanting to be in the ring when Angle was announced is so blatantly self-serving. That's like when Jericho debuted in wwe it would be better if Crash Holly was in the ring.

Joe's still kept strong but if they want to keep him from the title for a while but still keep him strong then he shouldnt be on tv every week just to squash guys. He can stay over just with video packages of what he's done for the past year.

The big drawback of the Cornette storyline is that Jarrett is ALL over tv because of it. I dont think he was on tv much when they first started on Spike, which was a good thing for the company being exposed to new audiences. I cant imagine going to the tapings where they do 3 weeks in one shot, seeing Jarrett 5 or 6 times in one night.

Uggh

The whole shakeup in creative isnt about new ideas or boosting the audience for exciting tv, it's who can we get that will find more ways to keep Jarrett on top. That's really the one constant as long as theyre in business. And theyre gonna run through alot of talent and writers until they change their mind about that.

Hindsight is 20/20 with Steiner, but let's face it. In early 2003 Steiner was going to suck no matter who he faced. Let's say they did the Test feud instead...he'd have still fucked up big time, fallen down in the ring, tripped on the ring apron, etc. After that he wouldn't have any heat anyway and not even have been in the world title scene.

Steiner had the foot injury back then as well, I recall, now that's all healed up

Steiner had the foot injury back then as well, I recall, now that's all healed up

yea. He had drop foot syndrome. He finally had a good surgery on it and it healed good and he rehabbed it good.

I always liked it when he had the Superman trunks on instead of those long tights. Just made him look tougher instead of some long tights...

Guest JoeMelba

thanks for posting these. was there anything of interest concerning the ufc or wwe in this week's WON?

*Dutt breaks brick*

"We honor your invitation."

"No shit ya do!"

"He says he represents the Casas family"

"You don't look mexican"

"He says that Tropicasas is his maestro"

"Show us La Magistral Cradle"

Totally agreed on the TNA side, totally disagreed on the ROH side. Samoa Joe has become the Ric Flair of ROH--not so much in the veteran way, but in the "god-like figure everyone comes to see." I know for a fact both my buddies who come to the ROH shows come primarily to see him. When Joe comes out, the crowd is deafening in a Hogan-like way. He's uber-babyface now. I think the ONLY way his ROH persona is being hampered a little is that, for the most part, ROH fans believe he'll never see the title again. Partially because they don't think he's right as "the first 2-time champ" and partially because of his TNA bookings.

The atmosphere of an ROH show when Joe is center-stage is awe-inspiring.