TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

OAO RAW is War 10/2/06

Monday night on RAW, Edge will challenge John Cena for the WWE Championship inside the confines of a 15-foot high steel cage. It will be the latest brutal chapter in the ongoing war between the two Superstars, but it will be the first time they have been locked inside of a steel cage together.

The Steel Cage Match itself can be one of the most brutal specialty matches WWE has to offer, and in its near 50-year history, the WWE Championship has been defended inside the cage on many occasions. And from those Steel Cage Matches have come some of the most memorable moments in WWE history.

Take for instance the May 19, 1980, battle in Madison Square Garden. That night, champion Bob Backlund defended the gold against Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka. Many will remember Snuka’s breathtaking top of the cage dive onto Magnificent Muraco three years later; Mick Foley has even said in his book Have a Nice Day that it was one of the defining moments that encouraged him to get into the business. While Snuka’s dive onto Muraco is well-known, it was back in 1980 that he first attempted the feat. Unfortunately for the “Superfly,” Backlund moved away from his leap, causing Snuka to plunge 15 feet into the mat; that miscalculation allowed Backlund to escape the cage and retain his championship.

The Steel Cage has also seen some unexpected alliances form as well. On RAW in April 2001, The Rock challenged Stone Cold Steve Austin to a Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship. The night before, Austin defeated The Rock for the gold at WrestleMania X-Seven, but he also did the unthinkable: he aligned himself with Mr. McMahon. Come RAW, the WWE Chairman tried to do his best to ensure that The Rock would pay at the hands of the Rattlesnake. When The Rock locked Austin in the Sharpshooter, Mr. McMahon distracted the referee so he wouldn’t notice Austin tapping out. As if the WWE fans couldn’t think less of Austin after aligning with McMahon, their opinion would get lower. Late in the match, Triple H unexpectedly rushed to the ring with a sledgehammer in hand. Many WWE fans thought his sledgehammer would be smashing Austin, but Triple H stunned the crowd when he turned and assaulted The Rock instead, helping Austin claim victory….and thus, the Two-Man Power Trip was formed.

SmackDown saw its first-and-only Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship in July 2004. WWE Champion JBL and the man he beat for the gold, Eddie Guerrero, stepped into the cage and battled it out like two rabid animals, each wanting to prove that they deserved to wear WWE gold. At one point, Eddie had a chance to end the match, but – perhaps foolishly – he decided to add emphasis to the beating on JBL by leaping off the top of the cage and landing a Frog Splash. Latino Heat’s aerial assault may have been spectacular, but he hurt himself in the process and was slow to cover. JBL would escape that predicament, but he couldn’t escape later when a man dressed as El Gran Luchadore climbed into the ring and pulled Eddie from the top of the cage to inside of the ring. This allowed JBL to capitalize and climb out of the cage first to remain WWE Champion, but Eddie would later unmask his assailant to find another old rival.

Even family squabbles have been settled inside the steel. Owen Hart spent the spring and summer of 1994 chasing brother Bret and the WWE Championship, which led to their epic Steel Cage Match at SummerSlam. Brothers-in-law (and former and future partners) British Bulldog and Jim Neidhart were at ringside as the two Hart brothers threw everything they had at each other. While the match wasn’t as brutal or bloody as most Steel Cage Matches, it was a 30-minute manifestation of hatred, jealousy and drama. In the end, the brothers both tried to escape at the same time; somehow, Bret managed to get Owen tangled in the cage, allowing himself the opportunity to drop to the arena floor and retain the WWE Championship.

And of course, the Steel Cage has seen Hulkamania overcome the odds as always. Weeks prior to WrestleMania 2, Hulk Hogan’s ribs were injured at the hands of King Kong Bundy and the Magnificent Muraco on Saturday Night’s Main Event. But somehow, when the Hulkster stepped into the cage with Bundy at WrestleMania, Hogan reached down for that something extra as Gorilla Monsoon would say, and he was able to escape the cage to win the match and retain his WWE Championship.

In recent years, derivations of the Steel Cage Match (such as Hell in a Cell and the Elimination Chamber) have raised the bar for brutality; however, the dangers of the “old-fashioned” Steel Cage Match should never be underestimated. Edge and Cena have taken each other to the limit in the past, but the man who walks out of RAW Monday night as champion may have to exceed that limit to do so.

Who will survive the Steel Cage Match in Topeka, Kan., and walk out as WWE Champion? Find out Monday night on RAW.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

And here's the Raw preview:

Steel Cage showdown.

The WWE Championship will be on the line when Raw heads to Topeka, Kan.

Who will be champion?

This week, Edge will invoke his rematch clause and challenge John Cena for the WWE Championship inside a 15-foot high Steel Cage. Last week, Edge looked on as King Booker and his Court destroyed Cena, making him kiss The King's feet. Just days before he meets Edge on Raw, Cena was on Smackdown and met the Court in a Six-Man Tag Team Match. What condition will Cena be in when he gets to Topeka, and will that work to Edge's advantage?

What's next for DX?

DX nearly ran the gauntlet last week, but after defeating The Highlanders and Haas & Viscera, their match with Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch ended in a double disqualification. Cade & Murdoch have been a thorn in the degenerates' sides for a few weeks now, will that trend continue in Topeka?

A New Intercontinental Champion?

Jeff Hardy will have an opportunity to become a two-time Intercontinental Champion when he faces Johnny Nitro on Raw. Nitro has somehow been able to emerge victorious against a slew of opponents, including Hardy, to remain the champion. Can he do it again or does Hardy have the strategy to unseat Nitro for the gold?

Which monster is truly supreme?

Despite being banned from ringside last week, Umaga interrupted Kane's match with Johnny Nitro, leaving "The Big Red Monster" beaten in the ring after assaulting him with the ring steps. It is clear that the war between these two monsters is far from over, but will there be any repercussions on "The Samoan Bulldozer" for defying Jonathan Coachman's ban? And either way, will Kane be in any condition to come looking for revenge?

Find out all this and more tonight at 9pm/8pm CT on the USA Network.

WWE Title, Steel Cage Match

John Cena .VS. Edge (with Lita).

WWE Intercontinental Title Match

Johnny Nitro (with Melina) .VS. Jeff Hardy.

It's the Season 14 "Finale" of Raw, very exciting...

This allowed JBL to capitalize and climb out of the cage first to remain WWE Champion, but Eddie would later unmask his assailant to find another old rival.

I love how they don't even mention Kurt Angle's name here.

Can we stop seeing the same matches over and over again please?

Cade and Murdoch as threats to DX is the most bullshit forced thing ever, BTW.

If they want to have Cade and Murdoch percieved as threats to DX, maybe they should have gone over last week if only even a tainted win. But what do I know?

Cade and Murdoch as threats to DX is the most bullshit forced thing ever, BTW.

If they want to have Cade and Murdoch percieved as threats to DX, maybe they should have gone over last week if only even a tainted win. But what do I know?

You guys don't understand... it's the classic WCW jobber push. They're still jobbing something fierce, it's only higher up the card for the next few weeks/months.

I hate that DX keeps another team from competing in the shallow tag division, since DX woulda been tag champs if they wanted the belts.

Speaking of which, I'm sure we get Flair Vs. SS #3 tonight, probably setting up some wacky stip. for Taboo Tuesday down the line. You know, what if Flair got the Horsemen to do a one time appearence for the 3-hour Raw Reunion show?

Speaking of which, I'm sure we get Flair Vs. SS #3 tonight, probably setting up some wacky stip. for Taboo Tuesday down the line. You know, what if Flair got the Horsemen to do a one time appearence for the 3-hour Raw Reunion show?

There's no way of that happening. It's going to be Flair and the new Horsemen of Eugene and the Highlanders vs The Spirit Squad.

Edge/Cena should be loads of fun, since they always seem to deliver in big matches. I haven't seen any of their PPV matches, so hopefully this should be the next best thing.

Not much interest in anything else that was mentioned, though.

whatever happened with Harry Smith?

It looks like he will actually be on the next season of Hogan Knows Best.

whew, I mean, we didn't want to see him wrestle or anything!

Guest Coffey

I'm actually going to watch the show tonight. I haven't watched in...several months. So, we'll see how that goes.

Its going to be sad if Harry Smith has his legs cut out from him in a program with Hogan.

And by 'if' of course I mean 'when'.

Debuting Harry Smith with a competetive program against somebody like Ken Kennedy or Matt Hardy or even Booker's Court would be a great addition to Smackdown right now.

it's sad because they won't introduce him as the son of Davey Boy Smith but rather as Brooke Hogan's sweetie (if that's still the plan)...they'll barely brush on the fact that he's a 3rd generation superstar.

I'm actually going to watch the show tonight. I haven't watched in...several months. So, we'll see how that goes.

Lita slams the door on Cena's face and Melina helps Nitro win and DX shrill more WWE merchandise and ARMANDO ALEJANDRO ESTRADA haha breaks some cigars

it's sad because they won't introduce him as the son of Davey Boy Smith but rather as Brooke Hogan's sweetie (if that's still the plan)...they'll barely brush on the fact that he's a 3rd generation superstar.

Doubtful. McMahon, had a hard on for Harry for years and kept tabs on him throughout his development before he ever signed with them. The 2nd generation aspect will be a crucial part of his inital push he'll get.

How many times can WWE get the date of the Backlund-Snuka cage match wrong? June 28, 1982. May 19, 1980 was the Backlund-Ken Patera Texas Death match.

Le sigh.

Yeah I was about to say, the idea of brushing over Smith's background sounds insane to me, not to mention it goes against what they've done in the past. If anything I think Vince might look at Harry Smith as being his biggest prospect in a long time and might want the double hype of "He's the son of Davey Boy Smith, nephew of Bret Hart" and also "He's now dating Brooke Hogan." The connection to Hogan would give him some mark cred, and his background gives him the smark cred.

I dunno if Harry is the next Orton in terms of milking the 2nd/3rd generation thing. Likely better, since at least people give a shit about his dad and uncle. Let's face it, Bob Orton vanished from mainstream wrestling in about 1987 and there were maybe 5 people who cared.