TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Well, all but 8 teams are out of it, so here is the place to talk about what's going down this offseason...

Joe Girardi to be fired tomorrow, almost immediately replaced with Fredi Gonzalez. Fredi is the candidate that a large majority of Marlins fans wanted to be hired last season. That's the rumor coming out of Miami.

Guest Felonies!

I'm thinking that Eric Wedge, Mike Hargrove, and Buck Showalter are in danger.

The Sawx ditched both their hitting and pitching coaches. I'm not sure if this is a good move or a bad move.

Well they sacked Dave Wallace and replaced him with Al Nipper (cue the Clemens conspiracy nuts). Garbage in, garbage out.

I had no problem with hitting coach. Not sure why they 86ed him.

So is the new hitting coach gonna teach David Ortiz to ground the ball to the right side to move the runner over to third? I thought that's why he hated being in Minnesota.

So is the new hitting coach gonna teach David Ortiz to ground the ball to the right side to move the runner over to third? I thought that's why he hated being in Minnesota.

That and they wanted him to hit to the opposite field more rather than be a strong pull hitter.

Jackson had an easy job in most aspects, having Ortiz and Ramirez carrying your offense makes you look like a genius at times. But he really dropped the ball with Crisp and Pena.

Or it could be that Pena has never been any good, with any team, ever.

The problem with the Red Sox this year was the moves they made and the moves they didn't make. If you look at the run Epstein has had after getting Schilling he has been pretty bad.

Since then they got (and then got rid of)Rent-A-Wreck, got Coco, got Clement, got Beckett, gave up Hanley Ramirez and Anabel Sanchez, got Willy Mo, gave up Bronson Arroyo....they aren't doing any better than random coin flipping.

And while they talk about building for the future, they got rid of two great prospects and Arroyo for not much in return.

Epstein came in with a bang but since then hasn't done anything.

Wily Mo Pena hit .300/.348/.478 on the year, and had a nagging wrist injury that took away most of his power. He showed improvement in hitting breaking pitches. The K/BB rates are still troublesome but he could still show a bit of improvement. He's only 24 years old, and never really had a minor league career to work these issues out.

As for the defense, it's not his fault that they stuck him in RF. He's actually decent in CF and LF. Trading Arroyo for Pena was one of Theo's only good deals this year. It hurt them this year because the pitching staff was terrible and Pena was hurt, but this will make them a better team going forward.

Guest NYankees

Wily Mo Pena hit .300/.348/.478 on the year, and had a nagging wrist injury that took away most of his power. He showed improvement in hitting breaking pitches. The K/BB rates are still troublesome but he could still show a bit of improvement. He's only 24 years old, and never really had a minor league career to work these issues out.

As for the defense, it's not his fault that they stuck him in RF. He's actually decent in CF and LF. Trading Arroyo for Pena was one of Theo's only good deals this year. It hurt them this year because the pitching staff was terrible and Pena was hurt, but this will make them a better team going forward.

Theo also got rid of Clay Meredith, Josh Bard and Freddy Sanchez for nothing in return.

After the Rangers were again in contention for most of the year, but again fell away to finish below .500 in a distant 3rd place, i wouldn't be surprised if Buck Showalter's tenure was on shaky ground. Not to mention he has the 'Fire Showalter and win the World Series the next year' streak going against him.

Theo also got rid of Clay Meredith, Josh Bard and Freddy Sanchez for nothing in return.

Which has what to do with Wily Mo Pena exactly?

Guest Felonies!

Oh, it's official now, Joe Girardi got fired, and they're going to name Fredi Gonzalez the new manager at 1. Hurry up and sign him, Cubs.

Guest Felonies!

Yeah yeah, I know. Sweet Lou for 2007, unfortunately.

Al, what's the word on Charlie Manuel? Any chance he's fired?

Yeah yeah, I know. Sweet Lou for 2007, unfortunately.

Al, what's the word on Charlie Manuel? Any chance he's fired?

News is very quiet on that front. Pat Gillick when asked about next year simply said, "he's under contract." I think the expectation is that there will be coaching staff changes but Manuel's safe.

Guest NYankees

Bill Madden of the NY Daily News is predicting that Buck Showalter will probably be fired later tonight.

Nats release six pitchers, including Astacio, Lawrence

WASHINGTON -- Beginning the process of reshaping a last-place roster, the Washington Nationals released six pitchers Tuesday: right-handers Brian Lawrence, Pedro Astacio, Ryan Drese, Felix Rodriguez and Zach Day and left-hander Joey Eischen.

More on this: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2611890

Joey Eischen's a pretty good lefty. He is a lefty, right? I think he's a lefty. He's the guy with the weird wind-up. Uh...yeah.

Guest Felonies!

I think he didn't get along with Frank Robinson so that kinda cut him off at the knees. Come to think of it, can't this be said about lots of ExpoNats?

Nats release six pitchers, including Astacio, Lawrence

WASHINGTON -- Beginning the process of reshaping a last-place roster, the Washington Nationals released six pitchers Tuesday: right-handers Brian Lawrence, Pedro Astacio, Ryan Drese, Felix Rodriguez and Zach Day and left-hander Joey Eischen.

More on this: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2611890

Upon hearing this, Wayne Krivsky faxed them all a contract offer.