TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

I'm thinking that Eric Wedge, Mike Hargrove, and Buck Showalter are in danger.

I doubt the M's get rid of Hargrove. I believe I heard someone where that the M's were not considering getting rid of him nor Bavasi. Clearly there is no god.

Wily Mo Pena hit .300/.348/.478 on the year, and had a nagging wrist injury that took away most of his power. He showed improvement in hitting breaking pitches. The K/BB rates are still troublesome but he could still show a bit of improvement. He's only 24 years old, and never really had a minor league career to work these issues out.

Ha ha...for some reason I was thinking of Carlos Pena instead.

Wily Mo was not bad, except that in situations where you need him he always strikes out.

Guest Felonies!
Dusty Baker won't be out of work for long.

Baker, whose contract was not renewed by the Chicago Cubs on Monday, will join ESPN's postseason baseball broadcast crew this weekend.

Baker has been rumored to be a candidate for the Washington Nationals managerial job, which opened when it was announced that Frank Robinson would not return.

This will be sublime.

I bet dollars to donuts that Buck Showalter is the next manager of the Chicago Cubs. That would be hilarious.

In Astros' news, pitching coach Jim Hickey has been given the axe. I don't wanna speculate, but I think it would be awesome as all get out to have Nolan Ryan as the new pitching coach. All of the pitchers would throw 98-mph fastballs and make beef products.

I said it somewhere else, but I'd like Dusty in the booth. I can't stand his philosophies on baseball, but he's a personable guy who can't possibly be any worse than the majority of the guys ESPN employs.

Guest Felonies!

Yes. That is what he believes.

Chong, wanna devise a Dusty Baker Drinking Game with me? I'm thinking "dude" and "Hank Aaron" are the cornerstones.

We'll make it happen. I'm assuming he's going to be in the studio and not the booth, right?

And Dusty does indeed think walks clog up the bases, but only if you're slow. So he would've liked it today because Reyes and Beltran are fast. But if had been Delgado and Floyd, then no.

Can we start posting our offseason shopping lists for our respective teams? I'm already depressed watching this year's playoffs.

I'd say it's time, yes. I'm also finding these playoffs boring. Mainly because the teams I'd like to see advance aren't doing anything, despite being hot going down the stretch.

As far as the Astros, the biggest offseason priorities are, presumably, getting Carlos Lee and getting Clemens (and Pettitte) to make up his mind about whether or not he'll be re-un-re-un-re-un-retiring. Also, there's alot of buzz about Woody Williams. I see him ending up in Houston in 07. There were a couple stories floating around about how the Astros are "very interested" in Dontrelle Willis and have been for the past couple years. However, there are, I'm sure, many teams that are "very interested" in D-Train. In any event, the Fish were seriously looking at Willy Taveras at the trade deadline. Still, I don't imagine anything'll happen on that front. If Willy does get traded for Willis, I'd like to see the 'Stros pick up Dave Roberts. I like his hustle. Also, the D-Rays are apparently interested in moving Houston native Carl Crawford. The Astros do have a few good young pitching prospects and have a good relationship with the D-Rays GM, but I'm sure if Crawford is available, other teams have better prospects to offer. Last thing is that the Astros are looking to add some more offense at catcher and moving Ausmus to a back-up role, especially if Clemens and Pettitte don't return. If this were a perfect offseason, the starting lineup for 07 would end up like this...

Crawford CF

Ensberg 3B

Berkman 1B

Lee LF

Scott RF

Biggio/Burke 2B

Everett SS

Ausmus/one of the Molinas/Johnny Estrada C

Oswalt P

Rotation:

Oswalt

Willis

Clemens

Pettitte

Woody

However, that'll probably not happen and I imagine the 07 opening day lineup to be something like...

Taveras CF

Ensberg 3B

Berkman 1B

Lee RF

Scott LF

Biggio/Burke 2B

Everett SS

Ausmus C

Oswalt P

Rotation:

Oswalt

Pettitte

Woody

Hirsh

Sampson

The first lineup, I think, would win 90-100 games easily. The second would probably still be able to take the Central division, as long as the other teams in the division don't make super blockbuster deals.

I'll start off for the Phillies. Al can point me in the right direction.

- We'll need to address the catching situation. Lieberthal is gone, which will save a nice chunk of money

- A third baseman is needed. Aramis Ramirez would be nice.

- Myers and Hamels are set in the rotation, but Moyer may return to Seattle, Lieber could be used as trade bait, and Wolf may not return. So, we should explore the free agent starting pitchers. Hopefully Gillick will open up to the idea of adding a few arms.

- Perhaps shop Aaron Rowand to the White Sox. Victorino has the strongest outfield arm and great speed. He needs to play on a regular basis. Rowand could bring something good in a trade like a pitcher.

- Check out some players like Johnny Estrada. I'd like to see some big names get pursued but I doubt that will happen. Although it would be awesome getting someone like Soriano who could lead off and push Rollins down in the order.

- Speaking of the batting order, someone needs to protect Howard in the 5 spot.

- Relief pitchers would be a nice addition. Geary did well but he was used an awful lot.

- Replace the coaches that were fired with some quality coaches.

- Eat Burrell's salary and move him. He needs a change of scenery.

The Red Sox had an absolutely brutal 2006 season, marred by bad trades, player meltdowns and a plague of injuries. Their mediocre 86-76 record covers up their many shortcomings (81-81 pythagorean record, losing record against AL clubs not named the Orioles, and abysmal second half record).

This offseason will be interesting for a number of reasons. The team has tons of holes to fill, and a large amount of money to fill those holes. However, the free agent market is the weakest in years, with no quick fixes available. Second, the upper tier of their farm system was cleaned out last year via trades and call-ups, leaving no good bargaining chips to acquire talent outside the system. Is it time to retool, or cut bait on the aging core and rebuild?

Here's a look at the team and the possibilities that need to be considered in the offseason:

Starting pitching: Last year's starting pitching was absolutely brutal, with only Schilling posting an ERA+ over 100. This team must absolutely acquire one of the big guns (Clemens, Matsuzaka, or Zito) and probably at least one of the second tier guys (Schmidt, Padilla, Lilly, etc.) as well. This team needs a long-term solution at the front end of the rotation with Schilling's impending retirement and Beckett's inability to adjust to the AL.

Relief pitching: Nearly as bad the starting pitching from last year, only saved by Papelbon. With his move to the rotation, the team is in the market for a closer, set-up man, and probably one or two other reliable arms. If the team can acquire two starters, I'd shift Clement and/or Wakefield into the pen to help alleviate the problem.

They will probably look into acquiring Brad Lidge from Houston, and tempering that with one low risk, high reward guy (Gagne, Wood or Dotel). Foulke will probably be the opening day closer if he doesn't retire, but next year will probably see the return of the famed bullpen by committee.

C: Varitek will be back, but the team should not count on him for more than 100-120 games at the most. If Kottaras isn't ready they'll have to look to the market. Rod Barajas, Gregg Zaun and Mike Piazza are definite possibilities. Wake will not get the courtesy of a personal catcher next year.

1B: Youks was a nice surprise last year as OBP machine, but this team needs power and 1B is the easiest place to acquire it. Teixiera is supposedly on the market, Sheffield could be available. Time to move Youks back to third where he is an asset instead of an offensive liability.

2B: Pedroia's time is now. Probably will have to keep Cora around for insurance.

SS: I'd re-sign Gonzalez. He's absolutely amazing defensively and showed improvement is batting approach over the couse of the year. Julio Lugo is a FA option. Tejada could be acquired by trade if they had the right pieces to move.

3B: Lowell is cooked. His numbers looked respectable only because of his amazing April/May. Subsidize part of his deal and look to move him for bullpen help (to SD for Linebrink?).

LF: The offensive output of the outfield is not a problem (providing Crisp rebounds), but the defensive alignment is. They are playing a DH and two left fielders out there and it kills their flybally pitchers. They might have to loook into the proposed Manny for Ervin Santana/Brandoon Wood deal, although I doubt either side could stomach that deal now. If Manny is moved, they must have a contingency option for improved offense in the lineup.

CF: I'm willing to give Crisp another year to work out his problems, but if teams are interested they should make a move. Pena is a better option for center going forward. If I'm Theo, I call Atlanta and beg to re-open negotiations for Andruw Jones.

RF: I've come to the realization that they have to bring Trot back or find a good replacement. They have no one on their team who can handle Fenway's right field.

Overall, it's going to be a long offseason with lots of player movement. I hope Theo and co. have an excellent plan going forward.

Lidge for Beckett! Straight up!

...Actually, that doesn't seem like a half bad idea...presuming Boston would cover some salary.

I'll start off for the Phillies. Al can point me in the right direction.

- We'll need to address the catching situation. Lieberthal is gone, which will save a nice chunk of money

- A third baseman is needed. Aramis Ramirez would be nice.

- Myers and Hamels are set in the rotation, but Moyer may return to Seattle, Lieber could be used as trade bait, and Wolf may not return. So, we should explore the free agent starting pitchers. Hopefully Gillick will open up to the idea of adding a few arms.

- Perhaps shop Aaron Rowand to the White Sox. Victorino has the strongest outfield arm and great speed. He needs to play on a regular basis. Rowand could bring something good in a trade like a pitcher.

- Check out some players like Johnny Estrada. I'd like to see some big names get pursued but I doubt that will happen. Although it would be awesome getting someone like Soriano who could lead off and push Rollins down in the order.

- Speaking of the batting order, someone needs to protect Howard in the 5 spot.

- Relief pitchers would be a nice addition. Geary did well but he was used an awful lot.

- Replace the coaches that were fired with some quality coaches.

- Eat Burrell's salary and move him. He needs a change of scenery.

-Carlos Ruiz is as good a catcher as anyone available on the market. Johnny Estrada has stated he would like to return to Philly, which is an option worth exploring.

-I highly doubt the Cubs will decline Ramirez's option. Audrey Huff is available, but his defense is problematic. The best option would be to negotiate with the White Sox for either Joe Crede or prospect Josh Fields.

-Everyone wants Barry Zito, but I have serious concerns over whether his flyball tendencies will work in Citizens Bank Park. I would pick up our side of the option on Moyer, as the going rate for pitchers will boom this offseason. Mathieson's out for 2007. A mid-level starter should be a priority.

-Alfonso Soriano takes less pitches than Jimmy Rollins. I'm not sure there's a true "leadoff" hitter available, and having one is overrated anyway. I don't think Rollins really hurts the team as a leadoff hitter as much as peopl;e think.

-Yes, I would explore trading Rowand and use Victorino as the primary center fielder.

-I think the best option is to move Howard UP in the order and bat Utley after him.

-Obviously relief pitching is a priority, and there is little available in the system, besides Eude Brito.

-Coaching I can't comment on.

-The Phillies would not receive equal value for Burrell. I think fans are too concerned with his faults and they ignore his talent. Burrell can do a team a lot of good.

Guest Felonies!

I think the Ramirez deal is that he can opt out and become a free agent; it's not a team decision. How the fuck did THAT clause end up in his contract? I thought we just signed him.

EDIT: Hey, Aramis had 38 homers this year. No shit. How about that.

Ken Rosenthal mentioned before the game today that one of the possible trades for A-Rod would be to the MARLINS for Willis and some young pitching. The Yanks would pay a large portion of his salary.

What the heck is Ken Rosenthal smoking? That would double the Marlins payroll.

Guest Paul
Ken Rosenthal mentioned before the game today that one of the possible trades for A-Rod would be to the MARLINS for Willis and some young pitching. The Yanks would pay a large portion of his salary.

What the heck is Ken Rosenthal smoking? That would double the Marlins payroll.

I found that amusing as well.

Not to mention I highly doubt Dontrelle would perform well in the AL.

I think the Ramirez deal is that he can opt out and become a free agent; it's not a team decision. How the fuck did THAT clause end up in his contract? I thought we just signed him.

We sure did. I didn't even think about the possibility of him opting out, even though the clause was mentioned when the deal was inked. I just heard "four years" and naturally assumed he'd be here for four years.

I'm not sure there's a true "leadoff" hitter available

Juan Pierre. Take him before the Cubs do something stupid like let Ramirez walk and re-sign Pierre for three years at $12 million per.

Guest NYankees

Bill Madden is reporting that sources talked to George Steinbrenner and that Joe Torre will be fired and be replaced by Lou Pinella. Thank God!!!!!! Lou will light a fire under their collective lazy asses.

Bill Madden is reporting that sources talked to George Steinbrenner and that Joe Torre will be fired and be replaced by Lou Pinella. Thank God!!!!!! Lou will light a fire under their collective lazy asses.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No.

Update: Mystique and Aura are now two dead strippers.