TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Teams won't be giving up major talent for A-Rod unless the Yankees end up eating 75% of what he's owed for the next 3 years. Trading a team cancer/albatross of a contract usually doesn't get you equal value since everyone knows you're trying to get RID of the player in question. Just look at what the Phillies got in the Bobby Abreu trade.

But due to the money that is kicked in by the Rangers, A-Rod is only owed $64 million over 4 years, for an AAV of $16 million. That's less than Barry Zito, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Alfonso Soriano will likely get on this year's FA market. If you consider teams that have enough payroll coming off the books this winter or have the capacity to absorb that deal, and have a hole at 3B or SS, you get something like the following:

Seattle, LA Angels, Chicago White Sox, Boston, Toronto, Baltimore, LA Dodgers, San Diego, San Francisco, Houston, Philadelphia, Chicago Cubs and Washington. That makes a decent market if you ask me.

True, but the key is all of those teams know the Yankees are more concerned with dumping A-Rod than trading him for equal value. If he'd had a decent postseason, I think he could have commanded a much greater trade value. Giving up a big prospect and/or 2 starters and then still having to pay A-Rod $16 million per is far too much for what he brings in return, even to a contender. Let's keep in mind that $16 million might be chump change for 4 or 5 teams in the league, but one of those teams is the one he's on, another is across the way and can't use him unless he'd play 2nd, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Aramis Ramirez would be a cheap replacement only in respect to A-Rod's contract. I'm hoping he doesn't opt out, but with the thin third basemen FA pool, it's probably inevitable. And I know he wouldn't be expected to be THE guy for New York, which is a good thing. Lee's injury proved that Ramirez is a great hitter, but a complimentary star at best.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but I could see A-Rod coming to Houston. There's an obvious need for a big bat in the order besides Berkman. There's also an extreme lack of production coming from both 3rd base and SS. And there's alot of money coming off the books for the 'Stros. And there's a general outcry that some major deal needs to go down, as it's been a good while since the FO pulled off something major (Randy Johnson in 99, Pettitte/Clemens in 04). While the Astros don't have the depth in the minors that other clubs do (the Angels, Dodgers, etc.), they do have some upper tier pitching prospects and could throw Ensberg and Lidge in there somewhere for whatever reason. And A-Rod has played in Texas before and he owns a bunch of used luxury car dealerships in Houston (As an aside, last year when he got the MVP, his billboards called his dealership "The MVP of Used Car Dealerships"; I'm not sure if they're going to change it this year to "The Used Car Dealership That Strikes Out Alot in the Clutch and Only Hits Homeruns When It Doesn't Matter".) Yeah, probably grasping at straws and pulling shit outta air, but I could see A-Rod coming to Houston.

Please tell me you're not amongst the moronic section of Astro Nation who actually believe they have a shot at A-Rod. Their stupid bullshit "trade proposals" are already polluting the sports talk around here.

IF the Yankees put Rodriguez out on the market AND he actually agrees to be traded, the Astros would probably be amongst the teams least likely to get him because they have exactly one regular who would even crack the Yankees' lineup (Berkman) and one pitcher that the Yankees would even consider as being close to fair value for Rodriguez (Oswalt). Seriously, who else do they have that the Yankees would want? You don't take a bunch of unproven minor leaguers in exchange for Alex Rodriguez, unless you are flatly looking to dump his salary...and we know the Yankees aren't worried about that.

So unless you are willing to part with either Berkman and/or Oswalt, forget it (and if you do that, why bother with A-Rod at all; you'd be no better off). Also, if you think the fact that A-Rod sells a few cars around town is reason enough for him to move to Houston, you are grasping at straws.

The Astros will be better served pursuing Carlos Lee or Soriano, talking Jason Schmidt into coming to town, and hoping Hirsh and one or two of the younger pitchers develops than wasting their time pursuing Alex Rodriguez.

A few Astros notes being reported all day:

- They have granted permission to Cecil Cooper to interview with either the Rangers, Nationals, or Giants for their managerial job. Astros aren't saying which specific team but it is one of those three.

- Negotiations are underway on Biggio's contract for next year. Oh, boy...

- They are more likely to push for Alfonso Soriano than Carlos Lee this winter. My question on that is: what if he makes playing 2nd base one of the conditions for his signing? Do you give up on him or sign him and tell Biggio to take his selfish quest for 3,000 hits elsewhere? THAT'S an 800lb gorilla Drayton McLane doesn't want to acknowledge...

Oh, no...I don't want A-Rod to come to Houston, or believe that he would. I'm certainly of the mind that the Astros should look into Carlos Lee (who seems to be the closest "sure-thing" the Astros have to getting a proven slugger. I doubt Soriano would come to Houston). and maybe enter the A-Ram discussion. As far as pitching, I imagine the only starter the Astros are going to acquire is Woody. I think Schmidt is pretty dead-set on Seattle and Zito's a Boras guy. Trading Berkman or Oswalt for A-Rod would make no sense at all, and there's no way the Yankees would take a package of, as I've heard some people suggest, Ensberg/Nieve/Lidge/Everett.

Yeah, so I was just throwing shit out there. I personally think the bad outweighs the good in getting A-Rod, especially in terms of my favored team.

Edit: Where'd you hear the 'Stros are pushing for Soriano? That would be...not as good as going for Carlos Lee, I don't think. There's the Biggio situation...and there's no way he's going anywhere unless Drayton wants attendence to be in the Marlins' neighborhood for the next 10 years. And after Biggio, Burke's the heir apparent for 2nd, and I'd hate to see them give up on him. And Lee just seems like he'd fit better in the clubhouse than Soriano.

Ok, good. You had me worried you had crossed over into "delusional" instead of "fanatic" territory for a minute there.

sfaJack, aren't you a Cubs fan?

Oh yes. It's just that living here I get wind of way more Astros' talk and information. And since we don't have a whole lot of Astro fans on the board outside of viva, I just sprinkle in a few Astros' comments to liven up the discussion.

I don't post about the Cubs as much because, honestly, you and Bruiser do a really good job of saying most everything I'm thinking between the two of you and I figure why clog up the board with the same old, same old? It's depressing enough being a Cubs' fan...I don't think we want to read the same sad stuff over and over again.

See? That's why I have to border on Astros' fanaticism. There's nobody else on here to share the workload with. It's just me and Conspiracy Victim and he hardly ever posts...and they got that guy in Missouri that's an Astros' fan, but I've only seen him post like twice. It's not that I'm fanatical or anything...I just have to pick up the slack.

Edit: Where'd you hear the 'Stros are pushing for Soriano? That would be...not as good as going for Carlos Lee, I don't think. There's the Biggio situation...and there's no way he's going anywhere unless Drayton wants attendence to be in the Marlins' neighborhood for the next 10 years. And after Biggio, Burke's the heir apparent for 2nd, and I'd hate to see them give up on him. And Lee just seems like he'd fit better in the clubhouse than Soriano.

It was reported on one of the local sports updates on 790 this afternoon. I was surprised to hear it myself because all that's been discussed and written about thus far is Carlos Lee, who I agree is a much better fit for them.

I know Biggio isn't going anywhere. Drayton would let him play 5 more seasons if necessary to get that 3,000 crap over with. But if the Astros really are doing all they can to "BE A CHAMPION" as McLane is so fond of saying, can you honestly say that you are doing that if you start Biggio over Burke at second base on Opening Day next season?

Biggio starting at 2nd wouldn't be an issue if the Astros had more production at SS or Catcher. He definently shouldn't be a leadoff or 2nd hitter anymore, but you can't really bat him 6th because then you have Everett, Ausmus, and the pitcher following him. Hopefully, he'll come out like gangbusters and get 3,000 by late May or early June and fade into a backup role.

See? That's why I have to border on Astros' fanaticism. There's nobody else on here to share the workload with. It's just me and Conspiracy Victim and he hardly ever posts...and they got that guy in Missouri that's an Astros' fan, but I've only seen him post like twice. It's not that I'm fanatical or anything...I just have to pick up the slack.

Replace "Astros" with "OU" and this looks very familiar

If Rodriguez gets traded to Anahiem, it's starting with Ervin Santana and Brandon Wood.

Good luck negotiating with a dial tone.

It's pretty much what they were going to give for Tejada. It's not that much of a stretch, a high level prospect and a starting pitcher. What do you think we're taking, Mike Napoli and Darin Erstad? Last I heard, A-Rod was better than Tejada.

It doesn't matter if the Yankees are "sellers." What matters is if there are multiple teams whom truly desire his services. If there are, then the Yankees can enjoy a bidding war.

Not to the extent that the fans seem to think. If Yanks fans think they're going to clean out whichever team's farm system and get a good major leaguer on top of that, they're dreaming. No matter how many teams are wanting A-Rod, if the Yanks come across as desparate, they are not going to get what they want.

I could see an A-Rod for Joe Crede/Mark Buehrle deal myself. It would give the Yankees a reliable lefty starter and a third baseman in the Graig Nettles mold. The White Sox would then move A-Rod to short and promote Josh Fields from AAA to fill the gap at third base.

It's pretty much what they were going to give for Tejada. It's not that much of a stretch, a high level prospect and a starting pitcher. What do you think we're taking, Mike Napoli and Darin Erstad? Last I heard, A-Rod was better than Tejada.

I'm thinking that Anaheim's going to want to lose as little as possible. You're saying that it STARTS with Santana/Wood. STARTS. Cashman uses that word trying to negotiate a deal with Anaheim and he'll be laughed off the phone. Anaheim was willing to part with them for Tejada...not Shields (their best bullpen guy not named Rodriguez) and another player too. Especially when you consider that Anaheim might actually play the Yanks in the playoffs...that's not really a threat with the Orioles...

I would seriously consider dealing Brandon Wood for A-Rod. If Wood turns out well, he might, MIGHT become as good someday as A-Rod is now. He strikes out a ton and is a risk as a prospect.

Which is why you have to get more for him than just Wood and Santana. You can't trade away Rodriguez for a guy who has a chance of not panning out, and a starter. I don't see how that's a big rip.

Guest Paul
I could see an A-Rod for Joe Crede/Mark Buehrle deal myself. It would give the Yankees a reliable lefty starter and a third baseman in the Graig Nettles mold. The White Sox would then move A-Rod to short and promote Josh Fields from AAA to fill the gap at third base.

This is what I've been telling my friend, a White Sox fan. He doesn't want A-Rod (or claims not to), but I'd have no problem getting Crede (especially) with either Buehrle or Garland.

The Yankees aren't going to be desperate. They'll move him if they get fair value.

Are you kidding me? There is no way the Yankees are going to bring back A-Rod unless they exhaust every possible deal out there and can't work something out. There were rumors flying that Steinbrenner could put A-Rod on irrevocable waivers just to send a message (highly unlikely, but then again this is the man who might fire Joe Torre).

I think Al hit the nail on the head. The White Sox deal makes a ton of sense for both teams, and that's probably the best deal out there unless Anaheim offers Wood and Santana.

The Yankees aren't going to be desperate. They'll move him if they get fair value.

Are you kidding me? There is no way the Yankees are going to bring back A-Rod unless they exhaust every possible deal out there and can't work something out. There were rumors flying that Steinbrenner could put A-Rod on irrevocable waivers just to send a message (highly unlikely, but then again this is the man who might fire Joe Torre).

I think Al hit the nail on the head. The White Sox deal makes a ton of sense for both teams, and that's probably the best deal out there unless Anaheim offers Wood and Santana.

Exactly, they aren't going to just give him away. And if they bring in Pinella, that's more of a reason as to why they'd keep him, because he's in very good terms with him.

There's quite a bit that the Dodgers have to offer, but the talent they would give is more unproven.

On SNY over here, they talked about Rodriguez and Matsui for Guerrero and Weaver.

No.

I know you are just reporting what you heard elsewhere, but you are way overrating A-Rod's trade value. Why would Anaheim give up Guerrero, a superior player on a better deal and one of best young pitchers in the game for A-Rod and Matsui? That makes 0 sense.

Buehrle and Crede. Santana and Wood. Those deals make some sense. I'm telling you, a number two starter and a quality prospect is the best they will get.

Sports radio shows usually come up with the stupidest deals. Just big fantasy league deals that make sense to them but make absolutely no sense to the teams for real.