TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 65: GSP vs Hughes II

So does it make me a bad Canadian that I'm cheering for Hughes to win tonight?

Thought so. :(

But shitfuck am I ever hyped for this, first time in while I've been real excited for a UFC PPV.

Bad Canadian!!! Go cross the border and drink shitty beer.

Or just stay at home and drink shitty beer (like, say, Steelback). I mean, you COULD cross the border, but I advocate laziness...

Sakara got mad hype after his UFC debut against Ron Faircloth, despite having nothing more than quick hands and aggressiveness. Then, people saw pictures of him beating journeyman Elvis Sinosic into a bloody mess (actually due in part to Elvis' red hair dye), yet failed to take into account that they hadn't actually seen the fight, and that he failed to put him away like any good LHW should be able to do.

Basically, Sakara is proof that being buff, tattoed and/or having a pro boxing background is a quick way to trick the MMA masses into thinking you're hot shit.

Irvin's UFC career will probably continue on its current rotation:

1) Get dominated, losing without getting even a single bit of offense in.

2) Lose first round of a bout that looks like an eventual JD loss, then win via one big strike in the second.

Please win GSP. Don't make me have to endure the hated Matt Hughes and OSU winning against my favorites in a 12 hour period.

I practically jumped through my ceiling with that superman punch at the end of the 1st round.

When GSP hit that kick in the 2nd round... I was already there. I was yelling GSP! GSP! in my house... and I live in NY. I can only imagine how the Canadians are feeling...

Lord of the Curry, starvenger, etc... they're probably on top of the world.

I love it. I love it. I love it.

Fuck Matt Hughes. He got destroyed and first Anderson Silva and now GSP... the rightful champions are stepping up.

Haven't seen anyone mention it.

The Heavyweight title match, while interesting at various times was one of the most boring fights I've seen lately.

Sylvia needs a few lessons in killer instinct. He could have beaten Monson anytime in the fourth and fifth rounds, at the very least. If he didn't have his size, he would even be ranked.

Vera for new champion.

Yeah I felt bad for Monson. The dude is trying to ground and pound and his punches are falling an inch short. Just a terrible matchup.

Thank fucking god GSP won. After Hughes was saved by the bell in round 1 I was so afraid he would pull out a win.

Hughes looked bad, but he looked bad against Penn as well. His standup is fucking awful. He holds his hands so far apart he takes straights right up the pipe over and over again. His kicks are atrocious looking - they look like kicks from someone on day 1 of high school karate. No power and very awkward, like he is about to fall over as he does them.

He didn't even get close to a takedown. He did nothing. The guy is a dick and boy am I glad he lost.

That was incredible. I never had doubts, but I never thought it would go like that (even though I was pumping my chest and saying that GSP would take in eight at home, I was just trying to bring people into the positive thought mode). That was just BALLS. Everyone I was with was just laughing at Hughes going down because it looked kinda fakey, and he was having fits at the time with GSP's reach and leg kicks. And the finish was straight out of Chuck-Babalu I. I went absolutely crazy, and t felt like seeing Benoit win the title at WrestleMania XX or Pac-man beating Morales the first time.

The heavyweight fight was piss, utter piss. I loved that people were cheering Monson, but the height was just way too much as he couldn't get close enough to get a good shot in and Tim could put way too much weight on him.

Sakara looked like trash, but it was pretty fun.

VERA BABEEE~!

Hondock looked great, as the Tank is someone I've heard of. I feel a big swing toward muay thai coming, as people are going to start shifting toward the knees and leg kicks (Vera and Silva are the start of a wave).

So, who's coming to Montreal in 07?:)

That was beyond nuts. If you'd never seen MMA you'd have no clue that GSP completely dominated and stomped one of the greatest, if not THE greatest champion in the history of the sport.

Probably because the nutshots both hit his inner thigh.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a Hughes fight where he didn't "call timeout" for some reason. It really is kind of silly. The second one in particular didn't look even close, maybe the cup he wears is a foot long and anything even close to there will jostle it or something...

Well, I'm not exactly on top of the world (Gotta save that for if/when I have a kid... or if/when the Leafs win the Cup, which will probably be when said kid is all growed up and the wife and I are retired) but I'm pretty darn happy about the outcome. I'll be even happier when I see the fight... @#$%#$ bars around here weren't showing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFu0a_NKOa0

the kick that pretty much ended the fight...bad quality

Got the job done though. Merci beaucoup.

The kick was reminiscent of Rory Singer's KO kick to Solomon Hutcherson in TUF3. GSP connected in the right place with his leg (knee), and moved in for the kill. Very nice.

Doubt it. Montreal in March is the most likely scenario at this point, Silva vs Lutter is more or less scheduled for the February show and I can see a co-main event of Sylvia/Vera on that card.

Well, I'm not exactly on top of the world (Gotta save that for if/when I have a kid... or if/when the Leafs win the Cup, which will probably be when said kid is all growed up and the wife and I are retired) but I'm pretty darn happy about the outcome. I'll be even happier when I see the fight... @#$%#$ bars around here weren't showing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFu0a_NKOa0

the kick that pretty much ended the fight...bad quality

Got the job done though. Merci beaucoup.

The kick was reminiscent of Rory Singer's KO kick to Solomon Hutcherson in TUF3. GSP connected in the right place with his leg (knee), and moved in for the kill. Very nice.

Watch the kick again. All shin, baby.

Loved GSP's reaction when they told him that the next show was going to be in Montreal.

The crowd reaction is probably gonna be insane for his fight that night.

I would love to see Vera knock Sylvia into obscurity on that same card as well.