TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

Final Fantasy XII

Well, the next Final Fantasy game (that always seems like a contradiction to me, but oh well) is coming out on the 31st, but reviews are starting to come in. It apparently lives up to the family name as the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

IGN - 9.5/10

GameBrink - 93/100

1up - 9.5/10

Famitsu Weekly (no link) - 10/10

Just thought I'd beat Yuna to the punch and start up a discussion thread for it.

I'm so psyched about this. I'll be getting it on Halloween.

A real Final Fantasy game, none of this spinoff extraneous online crystal chronicals garbege. Thank f'ing god.

I'm really interested in the new system, though maybe i'll start out on "wait mode" and ease into it.

I picked up Dragon Quest VIII today and tried the demo; that battle system certainly piqued my interest. I may put this on the Christmas list (I just can't plunk down $50 for a new game, regardless of the title).

I LOVED ff7 (who didnt), i couldnt stand ff8 (squall is one of the worst characters) and really enjoyed ff9 (it was fun).

But ten and ten-2 sucked ass. They were just shit games. Then there was a BUTT load of shit spin offs, and apperantly dirge of cerburus is crap too. And then i heard they took the turn based fighting out of ff12. So i dont think im going to bother this time around (i havent got a ps2 anyways). But im sure my gf will buy it and ill be made to watch her play it.

Well, the next Final Fantasy game (that always seems like a contradiction to me, but oh well) is coming out on the 31st, but reviews are starting to come in. It apparently lives up to the family name as the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

IGN - 9.5/10

GameBrink - 93/100

1up - 9.5/10

Famitsu Weekly (no link) - 10/10

Just thought I'd beat Yuna to the punch and start up a discussion thread for it.

Wow, that's being released already? Time flies when one lacks a PS2. >.<;; I'll check out the reviews anyway.

i've been hearing raves about the storyline. Supposedly they took the scriptwriting much more seriously, its a more mature twisty turny political intrigue kind of thing rather than the typical 'lone hero saves the world' thing.

The release date is October 31st ?

I thought it was maybe October 17th or 24th since I went to my local Wal-Mart last Friday and they had a bunch of them. No special editions though.

I LOVED ff7 (who didnt)

A lot of people. I'm one of them. Terrible extremely overrated game. I thought FFX was the first decent FF since FF6 though. So I'm excited for the next one.

The release date is October 31st ?

I thought it was maybe October 17th or 24th since I went to my local Wal-Mart last Friday and they had a bunch of them. No special editions though.

Yeah I've heard some stores have broken the release date early. Too bad my local Best Buy didn't :(

Circuit City is selling them for 38 bucks, which is cheap compared to 50 at other places.

Special Edition in Canada is 69.99.

And apparently its: Pre-Ordering "guarentees" you one of the special editions. You can still buy it otherwise.

Thank God, I won't need to panic and can wait till my next check to nab it.

You can still buy it otherwise.

Yeah, there's only going to be, like, 10 million copies made I bet.

Has anyone who has gotten an, um, "advance" copy vouch whether the combat and gameplay is improved over the terminally uninteresting demo that was bundled with DQ8?

Penny Arcade's spirited jab at it would indicate no.

The combat is more action-packed than a regular turn based RPG. Whether that's good or bad depends on the person. I'd be fine with the FFXII system or a standard RPG system, I didn't really care. I was just glad they didn't put in a god-awful "true realtime" system like Star Ocean 3 or the Tales games. The "real time" factor in FFXII is relegated to being able to manually move your characters around, all actions in combat are still determined by an ATB bar.

The game gives the player the choice to either use party AI or not, and provides the means to play it manually should the player not want to use AI, so any criticisms about the game "playing itself" are entirely irrelevant. I'd say the Penny Arcade strip was more of a parody rather than attempted criticism anyway.

The Penny Arcade Strip actually was a parody on it, and also the write up for that day that they had said the Gambit was a good thing but there were just sometimes it felt like that strip.

European release date is what it is Muzz.

i'd imagine you'd have to program some pretty complicated gambit/strings if you wanted to the game to "play itself" without dying at every tough fight. it might be a fun expirement to try on a second play-through after you beat it.

I thought FFX was the first decent FF since FF6 though

You've got to be shitting me.

FFX is one of THE worst games i have EVER played. Crap gameplay, crap charzcters, crap music, crap fighting, crap voiceovers, crap storyline and did i mention this game is crap?

Sorry i get wound up, but i really didnt like that game.

It was better than 8 and 9...

The gameplay was fine, some of the characters were fine, I recall the music being good (with the first FF Metal~! \m/). I wish you could turn on the JAP voices, but what can you do?

Does the position or distance you are from your opponent have any bearing on whether they can hit you (assuming you're still in their attack zone)? At first, running around during battle just added extra confusion for me, but i don't get the impression you can avoid being hit by moving around or dodging. If it doesn't really add anything it'd be much easier to just stand there and enter commands.

You can't really move around to avoid hits, like you can in something like PSO. If you try to dodge or move away, the enemy will just chase you and hit you regardless. You can run away from enemies, they'll just hit you a few times before you get out of range.

You've got to be shitting me.

FFX is one of THE worst games i have EVER played. Crap gameplay, crap charzcters, crap music, crap fighting, crap voiceovers, crap storyline and did i mention this game is crap?

Sorry i get wound up, but i really didnt like that game.

Crap gameplay and characters? From a fan of FF7?

We must have played two different FFXs. FFX is one of the best games I've ever played. I hope FFXII is half as good. :)

Ok, FFX is not one of the best games ever. A good game, yes, best, no.

:( I hafta wait till next week to buy my own copy and not a gift. :( I knew I should've moved out from my folks place because I bought it, and my parents are like "why did you buy that for yourself?"

And so I had to cover that it was a gift for my sis and her fiance. Dammit.

So has anyone even gotten that far in it at all?