TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Man in Blak

Account Theft

So, the message I get from the original "Hey, Mike" thread is:

1. Account theft is okay, as long as it happened a couple of months ago.

2. If you're a victim of account theft and you had a really inane password, then you deserved it.

Is that the correct subtext?

Account theft, involving hacking, backend access or some sort is bad.

Account theft involving someone actually guessing another’s password I see as a joke personally.

Guest Princess Leena

Considering that the accounts weren't used for any other purpose than anonymous voting. And 99% of them were dead accounts with zero posts. We're grasping at straws here.

But, by all means, continue to try getting me banned.

Guest Felonies!

Account theft involving someone actually guessing another’s password I see as a joke personally.

What if I'm a nigga and I steal a bike by guessing the combination on the lock?

If the admin of the board lacks a spine, then yes, account theft is okay.

So can I guess your password and then use your account?

Guest Felonies!

fuckmehilary - nope

bonoismyhero - nope

NORMativeethics - still no

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Whoa, I just guessed Hotbutter Spoonfucker's password.

Are we seriously assuming that Leena just somehow, of the top of her head, GUESSED the passwords of 36 different accounts? Like, seriously?

Guest Felonies!

Hey Czech, I'm going to change your icon to me eating a tampon.

yeah-uh!

Guest Princess Leena

Are we seriously assuming that Leena just somehow, of the top of her head, GUESSED the passwords of 36 different accounts? Like, seriously?

Yes. They were all very simple.

In effect, this is the same as giving out your password and everyone sharing it. But, oh wait, THEYRE POPULAR I WANNA BE ONLINE FRIENDZ WITH THEM.

So, if someone guessed your PIN number that would be okay?

I could understand a simple "I'll do whatever I feel like" excuse better than this.

In effect, this is the same as giving out your password and everyone sharing it. But, oh wait, THEYRE POPULAR I WANNA BE ONLINE FRIENDZ WITH THEM.

No it isn't.

If you can't see the world of difference between "Here, have this password and go fuck around with it" and "I think I'll steal this person's account so I can cheat in meaningless online polls" then there's no help for you.

Guest Princess Leena

I didn't explain myself clearly.

Previously, there was an account where one poster shared his password with another poster, and then it was further shared with others without his approval. That would be wrong. And the account was used for posting, and sharing PM information, making it significantly worse than this situation.

Why wasn't this brought up? Because the kids here aren't jealous of him and want him gone because they make them feel inferior.

Besides, this issue was addressed months ago. The admin who banned me, even said that this wasn't a bannable offense at the time.

The real reason this is being brought up is because I offended the kids here in The Chocolate Socket. Which is the purpose of the forum. Doesn't make much sense, huh.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

i taught you got offended because someone called you a cunt.

Virtually all of the rules on the board deal with insulating folks around here from harassment, either by reducing the inflammatory content of posts (flaming, trolling) or by reducing opportunities for such content to happen by repeat or anonymous offenders (PBPs, duplicate accounts).

If you aren't going to ban somebody for outright stealing an account, then what can you ban somebody for? What's the distinction between a stolen account and a duplicate account?

And please don't mention that the accounts were bogus accounts, because the opportunity for other forms of account abuse (repeated PM harassment, anonymous flaming or trolling) is still there, regardless of how active the account is/was at the time of the theft.

Considering that the accounts weren't used for any other purpose than anonymous voting. And 99% of them were dead accounts with zero posts. We're grasping at straws here.

But, by all means, continue to try getting me banned.

Did I even mention you in my post?

Consider it a direct response to Mike's explanation in the thread. He cuts the check for the site, so I would assume that he doesn't need any help defending his own decisions. And, judging by your comments here and elsewhere, you don't really have much to add to the discussion anyway.

I didn't explain myself clearly.

Previously, there was an account where one poster shared his password with another poster, and then it was further shared with others without his approval. That would be wrong. And the account was used for posting, and sharing PM information, making it significantly worse than this situation.

Why wasn't this brought up? Because the kids here aren't jealous of him and want him gone because they make them feel inferior.

Perhaps it's because your story about how the password was disseminated is incorrect.