TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Borat

"Eat my asshole!"

My favorite part was when he went to the Pentecostal Church and started speaking in tongues.

My favorite part was when he went to the Pentecostal Church and started speaking in tongues.

That was one of my favorite parts also, even if wasn't' the funniest thing in the movie. My grandfather was a Pentecostal pastor, and I was raised in that kind of church up until I was 13. Then in high school I started dating someone, and starting going to a church like that again just because that's where she went. If any of you have ever been to a church like that, I'm sure this entire scene meant a whole lot more to you. When I noticed Borat had walked into a Pentecostal revival, I started hoping to God that he would pretend to speak in tongues as well. When he finally started walking up to the front and started to do it, I laughed my ass off. I've always wanted to see someone who doesn't believe in it just go up there and pretend to do it.

That part was absolute gold to me.

Two of funniest parts to me were:

-The entire driving scene, from start to finish.

-The part of the naked fight when they started running chasing one another, and ended up in an elevator. At first it looks like everyone got off of the elevator, but then the camera pans over to reveal one guy standing in there with them, trying to act like nothing is unusual.

I also got a huge kick out of the words of wisdom the guy offered Borat as he was leaving him. It looked like he was trying to come up with something so profound, and then...nothing.

I'm with Leena on this.

I really have no desire to see this movie.

How come?

I'm with Leena on this.

Leena liked "See No Evil." If I were you, I wouldn't listen to her.

I'm with Leena on this.

What the hell is See No Evil?

I dunno, personally I don't find Ali G that funny, he's annoying, like Andy Kaufman annoying.

That is a f'n insane per screen average. I might try going to see the movie at the only theatre in town playing it after work and before meeting my friends for the PPV, but likely I will just go Thursday afternoon on my day off.

I'm with Leena on this.

What the hell is See No Evil?

I dunno, personally I don't find Ali G that funny, he's annoying, like Andy Kaufman annoying.

1. The Ali G personna has nothing to do with this movie.

2. Did you just state that Andy Kaufman was annoying and not funny?

Anyone who thinks Andy Kaufman wasn't a comic genius is insane.

I don't have that unique of a theater experience to tell. It was actually just on right over at my local theater, though not on all that many around town. The audience was interesting though: When I got there it was mostly old people (!) that looked straight out of a nursing home. Later a couple came in with a kid about 4-5 years old.

And yeah, it was really funny. Not the funniest movie I've ever seen or anything, but it was hilarious. The whole scene with the Jewish couple at the Bed N Breakfast was great, as was the entire dining scene. Anyone think some stuff was staged rather than totally spontaneous, and if so which parts?

I think that the scenes with

the guys on the winnebago showing Borat the Pamela Anderson tape was staged. As was his final confrontation with Anderson at the signing.

How am I an idiot?

Because I don't share the same values with anyone here. Because Andy Kaufman is not as good as everyone thinks he is.

apparently its on track fora 25-30 mil weekend. Now, didnt they pull this film from a bunch of theaters because it was tracking horribly? kind of a bad move in retrospect, it could have done huge numbers possibly on more screens

It sold out every show from 5:50 on last night in every theatre in the Overland Park area of Kansas( which is huge). I finally got in to the 9:30 show and luckily I got in 20 minutes early as we barely got our seats but it was packed with quite a murmer prior to the film starting and when it ended every body, I'm talking the whole theatre, clapped almost as one( as in not one guy starts it and then everybody else joins in)...

The wrestling in the hotel scene is by far the funniest thing I've ever watched and the movie was great..I can't wait to see it again

EAT MY ASSHOLE!!!

Andy Kaufman was a comic genius

How?

He's boring, and gets way too much praise for his work.

OH MAN..TELL ME YOU DIDN'T JUST SAY THAT..

/Booker T off

I saw the trailer for this back in August and wanted to see it but Im holding off until some of the hoopla subsides and I dont have to fight for a seat.

Guest East.Coast.J

I haven't seen this movie yet and I am not entirely sure if I will, but the marketing and promotion for this movie should be something taught in classrooms for the next ten years. Whoever the folks were who were responsible for turning a somewhat campy low-budget film into this grassroots phenomenon using somewhat unconventional methods deserve a million dollar bonus for their efforts.

"British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's controversial new comedy movie has been cut from more than half the 2,000 US cinemas it was supposed to debut in this weekend over fears film fans won't get the comic's Borat character. In the film, Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Great Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan, Cohen plays an offensive Kazakhstan TV journalist trying to get to grips with life in America. The movie has already upset politicians in Kazakhstan, who insist the comedian's character paints a terrible picture of their country, and now film distributors in the US fear cinemagoers will find the movie more offensive than funny. The film was scheduled to open in 2,000 cinemas across America on Friday, but it will now bow in only 700. Movie executives at Twentieth Century Fox pulled the plug on the wide opening after the film tested poorly. Distribution official Bruce Snyder tells the Los Angeles Times newspaper, "Our research showed it was soft in awareness." Fox bosses hope to add cinemas a week after the film opens."

Whoever made this decision at Fox should lose thier job immedietly. Only 837 theatres are showing the movie. Guess Fox did not want to take in 40 mil based on test screenings. Idiots.

Guest NYankees

It failed on test screenings? Did they show it to a bunch of blind mutes? Everybody was laughing throughout the whole movie at the theater that I went to.

Saw this last night, and found it hillarious. We had to drive half an hour to the one theater in the area showing it, otherwise it was at least a forty five minute drive to the nearest next theater showing it...the screen we watched it on was one of the theater's smaller rooms, and it was packed.

One of the more uncomfortable scenes, IMO, was when Borat is in the RV with the college guys and the one guy is going off about how "the Jews and minorities run everything here too". I guess it was supposed to make you think a little bit.

I know the portrayals of Kazakhstan were exagerrated, but I just wonder how much they really are. I mean thoughts like "the Jews caused 9/11" aren't exactly foreign to the Middle East and Central Asia.