TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

OAO Primetime Debut Thread

Guest A.BUTCHER'S HOUSE OF RIBS

I haven't watched TNA for a LONG time i have to admit some of the show was great but some was not so great. It boggles my mind that they had Abyss lose clean to Angle days before his title match with Sting.

Guest Coffey

I was really happy with that show. A few things I could nitpick here and there, but overall, I really liked it and it makes me want to see the PPV on Sunday.

The only bad thing about the show that really stands out is the horrible acting of LAX with the BUDGET SIREN~!

I'm still wondering why jobbing Abyss cleanly was the way to go.

The cage match was brutal, everything I expected it to be.

Overall, It has me wanting to see this PPV.

Best TNA show I have seen in months.

Michael Shane looks like a woman, the VKM/Raven's New Group really shouldn't have been the same segment, over a week of post-production and that's the best siren they can get, and the three way X Division match was God awful.

Everything else, however, was good to excellent.

There's a part of me that likes the VKM stuff, but at the same time, it really needed to be two different guys. They could've at least brought up that the Michael Buffer intro was their idea.

Sting repelling on a giant pole just made me chuckle.

Smooth booking there TNA. Job your title contender via TAP OUT 3 days before his Championship match. WHY?!?!?!?! If Abyss wins doesn't that completely shit on the title in every way?

There's a part of me that likes the VKM stuff, but at the same time, it really needed to be two different guys. They could've at least brought up that the Michael Buffer intro was their idea.

No it wasn't - HHH started that at house shows in late 1997 when he was injured.

He was the guest ring announcer for Shawn's house show matches prior to DX forming and his intro went something like

"For the thousands in attendence and the millions not watching at home since there are no television cameras in the building, ladies and gentlemen, let's get ready to suck it!"

Road Dogg's "ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls" spiel was just a play on the speeches that circus ringmasters used to give.

I don't mind Abyss losing. It was a highly competitive match, and he lost. Bret lost to Owen the very day he won the belt. In the end it's how it's booked from here that will determine everything.

THANK YOU.

I was just about to type this up myself.

I quite enjoyed this show tonight once it built to a crescendo at the end. I too am puzzled as to why Abyss was used in the job boy spot tonight. It only points out that frankly Angle/Joe needs to be a title match, since both guys are booked as much more important than the title scene. And since everyone ended up running in anyway why not end it in a huge schmozz to protect both guys? There are times to do a DQ type finish and this was one.

Smooth booking there TNA. Job your title contender via TAP OUT 3 days before his Championship match. WHY?!?!?!?! If Abyss wins doesn't that completely shit on the title in every way?

Abyss/Sting isn't selling 1/10 the buys that Joe/Angle is.

The difference between Bret losing the day he won the belt and Abyss losing here is that Bret was already a main eventer and could afford to lose. Abyss is strictly midcard and losing here didn't help. It might not hurt in the long-term, but it sure didn't help him at all heading into the PPV.

And while Abyss/Sting isn't selling PPV buys, you can at least make it look like the guy challenging for the NWA Title on PPV is a legitimate contender. Having him lose here only makes it look like Sting is fighting a scrub, and how does that make Sting or the NWA Title look?

Also, why use Abyss at all? I know the other name main eventers like Joe, Sting, Rhino, Christian were out of the question but someone like Daniels would have worked enough. Especially if they built it as Angle facing someone that has taken Joe to his limit in the past. Daniels could've afforded the clean lost to Angle and the title change wasn't needed tonight.

It's just pointless to job out the #1 contender a few days before his title shot. To compare this to Bret/Owen is idiotic as these are two totally seperate issues.

The difference between Bret losing the day he won the belt and Abyss losing here is that Bret was already a main eventer and could afford to lose. Abyss is strictly midcard and losing here didn't help. It might not hurt in the long-term, but it sure didn't help him at all heading into the PPV.

And while Abyss/Sting isn't selling PPV buys, you can at least make it look like the guy challenging for the NWA Title on PPV is a legitimate contender. Having him lose here only makes it look like Sting is fighting a scrub, and how does that make Sting or the NWA Title look?

Abyss held his own, and came within inches of beating the biggest name (that's still young) to ever enter TNA. He looks less like a scrub now than at any point in his entire run in TNA. He looks like more of a threat after hanging with Angle than if he destroyed some X division guy. People view angle as better than sting, and there is nothing TNA can book to change that. That doesn't mean Sting can't be an effective transitional champ, but I have no problem with them building up Angle tonight, all the while (in my opinion) making Abyss look like more of a star than at any point in his run.

And if Abyss does win the promos right themselves. Angle can claim a victory, while Mitchell can claim that Abyss took Angle to his limit on his first try, but with each day he gets better and he's going to prove it to the world by beating Angle. Then, of course, you have Angle win, as the belt on a "monster" isn't a good idea.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Abyss is never gonna hold the World Title. He's upper midcard at best. Bigger stars look better going over him. He's not "headlining" a PPV, Joe/Angle are.

Abyss/Sting isn't selling 1/10 the buys that Joe/Angle is.

That's because Sting/Abyss did not have a confrontation on every single impact leading up to the match. All Sting did was do the "god speech" and have video footage highlights then jump out of the sky at the last minute to save the day. Joe/Angle were being pulled apart every week with one of them bleeding from headbutts or stiff strikes. It's like the writer(s) don't even care about the history of the championship belts which is what the NWA is all about. NWA wants to make claims that its championship dates back to the beginning of time when cavemen were clubbing each over women. The current writing staff goes the different route with "tough guy A will fight tough guy B over who is more manly".

Angle actually sold too much for Abyss, even more than Joe did. But the show ended with 2 fat guys beating him up, so days before the ppv the title challenger looks weak, Joe looks like a generic heel who wouldnt normally team with anyone to beat someone up, and Angle is Just Another Guy.

and Abyss is used too much as this tough guy cause hes the biggest guy in the company so its no problem to build him up strong but no one thinks of him as a champ. And he doesnt need it, so its not a big ppv draw anyway. I blame that for the fact they called Christian's title run a failure cause even though the buildup was good it was still a formulaic title defense for babyface champ Chris Gen. I still dont know how anyone would think it would be good to give it back to Jarrett but thats for another time.

They could do almost as well as last month's ppv if they made it Sting/Christian instead, but neither guy would should lose, so Abyss is the fall guy again, which makes it likely another non-finish for Angle/Joe.

And I found it hilarious the end montage where they showed all the big stars that were in tna but they would put their NAME on the bottom so you would know who they were (e.g. MACHO MAN, URLACHER) but in between they would put the guys most people who never watched wouldnt know (like Jay Lethal), but DIDNT put their names, so any potential new viewers still wouldnt know who they were.

Genius

I think that some people are just ridiculous.

So Abyss lost...

To KURT ANGLE...

before a ppv where the most important people to keep strong were...JOE AND ANGLE...

Oh...btw...Abyss went toe to toe with the biggest star that's ever stepped in a TNA ring...

I would almost argue that Angle was hurt more than Abyss since he made Abyss look like friggin Undertaker in a Smackdown main event.

Oh wait...maybe that was the point.

Anyway...mad props to Christian who bumped harder than I've ever seen him do and put on a HELL of a TV match with Rhino.

I really enjoyed last night's show. The cage match was awesome, and for those complaining about Abyss jobbing...let's use some perspective. He lost to the guy being billed as the greatest wrestler in the history of amateur and pro-wrestling. Get a grip.

I liked last night's show because they didn't have to rush everything. I fear what's going to happen next week when they're back to one hour.

When Christian came out with that mike I thought we were going to get a Russo-iffic adddition to the 3-way and have Christian winning the X-title...which I don't think would be a horrible idea although it could put it more into Intercontinental status...

Man, this show showed how much TNA could benefit from an extra hour of TV time. I think this was even better than the primetime special last year (maybe we'll have a November tradition starting of a PPV quality special on Spike). There was so much going on, but none of it felt rushed. They had time to tell stories, as opposed to running vignettes and then never going back to them, like Rhino saying he was coming for Christian last week. They finally resisted the temption to put the names out first, like the normally do whenever they think they have a new audience (the first primetime special started with Jeff Hardy in a six-man). The first faces on the show were Eric Young, LAX and Samoa Joe. Guys who are nothing like anything you'd see on anyone else's show.

The matches were all good, too, especially the cage match and Angle/Abyss, both of which I'd put up there with Joe/Daniels from the first Thursday show and that X division six man in January as the best matches TNA has put on TV ever. Just fantastic work by those guys and the crowd made all four look like a million bucks. The Orlando crowd gets a lot of deserved shit, and TNA has clearly worn the market out, but they acted like they were seeing TNA for the first time ever. When you think about the fact that they had sat through an hour of tapings for last week's show already (on their hands, no less), it's even more impressive. I was really worried about TNA not setting up the taping schedule to start a taping with the special, but I think the crowd was hotter than the Detroit crowd at BFG.

The only problem, IMO, with this show was that it seemed like such an event, it might take away from Genesis. I am personally still not decided on whether or not I want to buy this show. I like the pairings and I know Joe/Angle will tear the house down, but TNA really sold us three matches. I don't know if that's enough for me to part with $30 instead of waiting for the DVD. But anyway, was a really good showing by TNA. I'd even say it was better than some of their really good two-hour PPVs from Nashville. Here's hoping they pop a decent rating...

Did the LAX segment remind anyone besides me of the Austin - Pillman gun angle? Very dark, edgy segment. I liked it.

Overall it was a good show, probably the best two hours of free wrestling in quite some time. I agree with Badboi, it was a testament to how TNA could really benefit from another hour.

The show didn't feel long at all and thats why I loved it. RAW tends to feel like it's dragging for five or six hours when it's only been on an hour and a half.

That said, I won't be surprised when the ratings come back as .8 or .9 for the night. Hope I'm wrong but not betting I am.

That said, I won't be surprised when the ratings come back as .8 or .9 for the night.

Judging my the amount of advertising they did, and the traffic in this thread, I'm thinking they'll at least top 1.0. They might not top it by much, but I really think they'll at least do that. Mind now, that's nothing for them to brag about. They really shouldn't be excited until they get to the 1.5 level.

BTW, I forgot to mention how priceless Eric Young yelling "Sniper!" when LAX's music hit was. I literally laughed out loud.

I caught the show last night, which was maybe the first full TNA show I've seen since maybe January, so I figured I might as well comment.

Maybe it's because I'm not familiar with the current storylines, but to me personlly it seemed like they may have tried to do a little too much on the show. Like, there was so much going on for a while that some stuff that should've seemed more important didn't really have the impact that it should've (the X-Title change and even Joe's post match beatdown on Lethal stand out most in my mind). And I wanted to fucking strangle West and Tenay by the end of the show with all that screaming they were doing. They ruined Kurt's entrance for me by talking through it...just wish they'd learn when to shut up.

I did think the little flag burning angle with LAX was kinda cool, with a nice little touch by Tenay at the end with his whole "they went over the line" speech after the fact (really made it stand out from everything else). Christian and Rhyno was pretty fun too. Not sure if I agree with putting Abyss in there with Kurt just before his title shot, but the match was solid, and the aftermath was enjoyable too. Pretty good show overall.