TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sho Funaki

WWE 24/7

ugh cabbage, not S.Series 98! YOU? YOU liked it? not YOU man! I have a deep DEEP hatred for that PPV. One of the worst I've ever seen. The tournament was a joke totally built for the Rock...I felt like I just threw 30 dollars in the trash after watching it.

The 3-way tag match (Bangers, Outlaws, Henry & D-Lo) has so many botched spots and moves and is the worst three-way match ever, well into negative stars.

The tournament itself I believe peaks at a ** match. Austin/Foley was okay until the WORST FINISH IMAGINEABLE and the WORST CHAIRSHOT *ANYONE* has ever thrown (Brisco). Seriously. Lance Storm's chairshots look like those of Necro Butcher or Madman Pondo compared to Brisco's chairshot that PUTS STEVE AUSTIN DOWN FOR THE PIN.

it's funny to go back and watch it now, after years and years of being a "smark" and realizing how stupid you had to have been to NOT guess that Rock was winning that thing AND turning heel in the process. Man, that PPV totally sums up the whole WWE Russo experience.

To be fair, after jobbing The Rock to Mark Henry on the PPV before SSeries, and having Rock "beat the odds" and overcome Henry & D'Lo on the Raw before SSeries, I totally didn't see Rock's heel turn coming either. I thought Taker was winning it, and losing to babyface Rock at WM 15 (Taker losing at WM....!) and that Austin would face Vince at WM 15.

However, I did correctly, without even knowing they'd be in it, predict D'Lo and Test would co-win the Heat battle royal and face Owen and JJ at 15, if only because all the other mid-carders not on the show were quite awful.

Well, I haven't seen Survivor Series 98 in a long, long time. Maybe I'd feel different now, but at the time I really enjoyed that PPV. Most of the Foley stuff on that PPV was brilliant: Dwayne Gill being his 1st round opponent, the hilarious screwjob in the Austin match with Shane turning on Austin, and of course the brilliant main event with the only decent Montreal reference ever. "Dad, I don't think I understand...."

That show did the following: It elevated the Rock to main event status. It elevated Mankind to main event status. It put more heat on the Austin/Vince feud. Yeah, it actually was sorta predictable since I figured out what was happening around the time Vince bid Bossman good night (this being AFTER Bossman had seemingly screwed up his various run ins and lost to the Rock in 5 seconds to boot). To me there are different kinds of predictable, good and bad. And this was good predictable.

And it really wasn't WAY too predictable, since I had thought going in the finals would be Rock/Mankind, but with Mankind staying Vince's boy and The Rock still came out on top despite the run ins. Given what they had been doing that might have made sense, but what happened was even better. It led to the Rock/Mankind feud, also gave Austin some roadblocks en route to regaining the title.

If you think Russo is a master, this show is his masterpiece. If you think he's a hack, it "sums up the Russo experience."

Yeah I figured / assumed that was coming since Cyber Sunday (best part: Shawn kicking the guy with all the papers backstage) expires this week. Whenever Survivor Series 06 expires, that's probably when we can all rock out to DECEMBER TO DISMEMBER!

A. I was giving him shit when i said "YOU liked it?" because I've always liked and respected his takes and opinions on wrestling. I was surprised that he liked that abomination of a PPV given what I've seen him post about in the past.

B. I didn't really shit on his opinion...I basically said why I myself don't like it. I didn't call him an idiot or a moron or anything simply because he liked the PPV. That would be shitting on him.

C. Why didn't you just man up in the first place and call me out...I KNEW you were talking about me...man up next time, but make sure you know what you're manning up about first, because as I pointed out, this discussion between you and I really wasn't necessary.

Thanks!

being that I'm right outside of philly, when I used to watch the old ECW shows before, I always noticed they always changed the ropes and turnbuckles. Watching the old shows on WWE 24/7, it was brought to my attention again. How come they kept changing the rope color and turnbuckles? They started using the WCW-type turnbuckles in mid-1997, and started using black ropes i would assume around 1996? I was just wondering if anyone knew why they changed it up so much?

Want another reason why Survivor Series 98 rules? It might be the lone PPV where Regal was doing his "Real Man's Man" gimmick. Anyway, Survivor Series 98 is a fun show. Not a lot of amazing wrestling on it, but there aren't many US tourney shows that do have amazing matches. Mankind/Austin is a lot of fun, as is the main event. And the results of this PPV led to the WWF drawing insane money, so it's not all bad.

I ordered it the other night and watched the ecw episode (which was cool, cept for the dubbed music) right now Im about to set up my dvd recordder in the living room to record some stuff,(i really need to get a box for my room so I dont have to interrupt others tv viewing) maybe the IYH ppv and the MNW episode (i watched the fist match and surprisingly Glacier had his proper theme song, its sad that I remember it, but watching the old nitro opening brought me back)

as for bam bams theme issue, on my vhs of wm 4 (the 1998, legacy collection) he has his old saxophone theme during his match vs Gang

interesting note, his 1995 face theme was actually the same theme LT used for his wm match vs bam bam (after salt and peppa sang, he came out to the song later used by bammer post face turn)

Nitro on 24/7 seems to have a lot of correct theme songs, which is odd considering the same songs have been removed from DVD (Benoit's theme, for example). It's just one of those wacky rights issues I don't get (along with Ventura commentary).

The best is when, because of how the sound is mixed, redubbed WCW music loses Gary Michael Cappetta. They had a sound alike doing announcing for Halloween Havoc 92, and outside of this enunciation, sounded nothing like him.

Sometimes I find the generic stuff they come up to be pretty good (the ECW song, the Coliseum Video "5000 years" song), but good lord is the Godwin music awful.

interesting note, his 1995 face theme was actually the same theme LT used for his wm match vs bam bam (after salt and peppa sang, he came out to the song later used by bammer post face turn)

I thought that song sounded a bit familiar when I was watching IYH 2.

Nitro on 24/7 seems to have a lot of correct theme songs, which is odd considering the same songs have been removed from DVD (Benoit's theme, for example). It's just one of those wacky rights issues I don't get (along with Ventura commentary).

The best is when, because of how the sound is mixed, redubbed WCW music loses Gary Michael Cappetta. They had a sound alike doing announcing for Halloween Havoc 92, and outside of this enunciation, sounded nothing like him.

Sometimes I find the generic stuff they come up to be pretty good (the ECW song, the Coliseum Video "5000 years" song), but good lord is the Godwin music awful.

sadly that godwinn theme was his theme back then, damn

actually watching iyh 2 right now (and recording it to dvd), bammers face music is actually not exactly the LT theme but similar , sounds like they remixed it, cuz LTs had a sax in it. the end of the bam bam/godwinn match actually is kinda foreshadowing cuz right after this, HOG was turned face after spurning Dibiase, cuz of miscommunication between sid and him

King mabels song was pretty cool though

JJ was so obviously lip-synching the camera hsouldnt have cut that close to him, but I guess they wanted to plant a seed there

gotta go the hbk/jj match is coming gon

Oh, yeah - the singles theme for Henry Godwinn (heard during IYH 2) is bad, but I know it's what's supposed to be there.

I'm referring to the overdub they use to cover up The Godwinns / Hillbilly Jim's theme.

I actually quite enjoyed that IYH show from 1995. It was no great shakes but certainly amusing to see the cameraderie involved with Diesel, Razor, HBK. I actually went to the Raw the night after that PPV and the funny part is that I had no recollection of that PPV taking place.

Also just watched the SNME show from Nov. 1987. Savage/Hart was a terrific match and I enjoyed Bundy/Hogan almost as much actually. I think Heenan realized Bundy wasn't going to win the title so he just screwed Hogan over and got him counted out there. Bundy was mostly there to wear Hogan down for Andre, but I don't think Bundy was aware of this!

Weekly 24/7 Round Up (ie 'This is what I see is new, so complain to your cable company or WWE.com if you don't have it OR let me know if I'm missing anything you have so I can do the same).

Hall of Fame: 3 Sherri matches including the 1987 Survivor Series match featuring the Jumping Bomb Angels.

Territories: Debut of WCCW.

Big Ones: Spring Stampede 94, Survivor Series 2006

Prime Time: Prime Time Wrestling for April 27/87. Description notes a one on one match between Dynamite Kid and Bret Hart (!). I was expecting the 2/9/96 Monday Night War - is that maybe next week, or am I short changed?

Specials: Divas Do New York, Legends of Wrestling: Ric Flair (this is the first time this show has appeared on my cable system since the debut, so I guess my e-mails paid off)

Shorties: The other area I think I may have been short changed unless the plan is 3 this week and 3 more next, I only received 3 new segments. Trish/Ashley vs Victoria/Candice from January 2006, Kane/Shane confrontation (fire dumpster), and Missy vs Madusa in a bikini pose down from Beach Blast 92.

---

I watched the Legends roundtable when I got home from work last night, it's pretty good. Hayes saying he won't forgive Ric Flair for making Luger a star was pretty funny.

I enjoyed WCCW. Very similar to Tazz and Styles on the ECW shows, having Hayes and Kevin Von Erich do intros/outros to add perspective on what we're watching is great. I love seeing kids running up and getting autographs while a wrestler is in the ring - it's just a really weird site. I've heard for awhile that their production value was considered state of the art for the day, so I was not surprised to see that this show from 1982 totally blows away the production of the AWA or 1985 NWA studio shows.