TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sho Funaki

WWE 24/7

I agree. Great to see a cool match from back then that was just TV stuff and not anything meant to be special.

Okay I finally saw D2D and....I didn't think it was that bad to be honest. In fact on 24/7 the show is a nice breath of fresh air in terms of being crisp and to the point, mainly because it doesn't have anybody on it, haha. I wouldn't want to PAY for such a PPV, but it's a decent time waster. Opener is good, and I am going to go out on a limb and say that the EC main is quite underrated. If I'd seen it at the time, I'd have been pissed. But I fail to see how either RVD or Punk got buried there or went out like chumps. Punk took a crowbar upside the head, then a Van Daminator, then a 5 Star to be eliminated. RVD was tossed of the top of a pod and hit with a chair from the top rope. It took quite a bit to put him away. In fact the brevity HELPED this match.

Anyway, I watched that MNW episode too and I have to ponder something about Nitro. What on earth was going on with that Benoit/Sullivan/Woman/Arn angle? At the time I just sort of ignored it since the NWO was at full steam and Piper was commanding the TV, but this was truly bizarre. First, I don't recall them explaining the key bit of info we must know in order to understand the angle (namely that Woman and Sullivan were married). In storyline terms I was puzzled as to why Sullivan cared that Benoit was banging Woman, considering Woman was already with the Horsmen! I had a case of cognitive dissonance, unable to understand that Woman could be married to Sullivan yet manage his rivals on TV. Further, why was Sullivan pissed at Arn? Is Anderson supposed to go around holding Benoit's hand his whole life? Benoit is a grown man, why is Arn supposed to dictate what he can and can't do. Why would Arn give a shit anyway? The Horsemen/DOD relationship had tanked by that point, so it's not like Arn was trying to keep the peace. If you watch Flair seemed to be amused that Benoit was off in Europe banging Woman.

Sullivan/Woman were well known and linked as I recall, so the background was known to wrestling fans at the time. As for the angle, a person in Sullivan's position would want to kick the living shit out of anyone remotely connected to the situation.

Well, here is more what I mean. What was the point of any of this? I can't see how it could draw any money, since it seems far too much like a real life thing (which it actually ended up being). What is the wrestling fan supposed to want out of it? Were we supposed to want Benoit to end up with Woman and for her to leave that evil satanist bastard Sullivan (when it was never 100% clear to viewers that they were married)? Were we supposed to want to see Sullivan get revenge on Benoit and the Horsemen for wrecking his marriage?

I think sometimes bookers lose sight of that simple little detail, in that the fans need to have a desirable outcome that they want to see happen. When there isn't one, it's a dead end angle. And that's what this whole Benoit/Sullivan thing ended up being, a dead end angle. Sullivan ended up retiring after it, and Benoit's career was hampered for a few years due to its very real aftermath.

I watched the ECW show featuring the debuts of the Eliminators, Rey and Steve Austin...I'm sorry but ECW was pretty much crap in 95. I'd say they didn't really start hitting any sort of a stride until at least 97. However, the Rey/Psicosis match was pretty fun, though they would go on to have better matches in WCW. I didn't remember the Eliminators being so fat. Also, was that THE Pitbulls vs. Raven/Richards match that everyone creams over? I wasn't impressed, I thought it was a jumbled mess.

New Today:

Wrestlemania 3 Pop Up Video Version

Prime Time Wrestling 3/23/87

Legends Roundtable: Hulk Hogan

WWE At Boston Gardens: 3/7/87

Not too much this week. I've watched about half of the Pop Up WM3, and it's pretty pointless. It just splices in some old video interviews cut from previous sets and throws in some of the same trivia you probably already know. The other 2 shows are just buildup to WM.

Yes, actually...it wasn't so much because the match was a technical marvel or anything like that but the fact that several storylines were affected in the course of the match. It was Paul Heyman booking at its finest, but the match is no where near the ***** that people claim it to be.

Dames

What I hated was the constant run-ins...and they weren't FUN run-ins like the WM17 TLC match where Spike, Rhyno and Lita all had some spots. It was just utter hokiness with chicks getting DDTed, Dreamer getting involved and actually making the winning pinfall??? The match was actually ok BEFORE that mess. I'd have given it *** before the silliness started.

New Today:

Wrestlemania 3 Pop Up Video Version

Prime Time Wrestling 3/23/87

Legends Roundtable: Hulk Hogan

WWE At Boston Gardens: 3/7/87

Not too much this week. I've watched about half of the Pop Up WM3, and it's pretty pointless. It just splices in some old video interviews cut from previous sets and throws in some of the same trivia you probably already know. The other 2 shows are just buildup to WM.

I thought I might have been getting screwed in the Territories section but I guess not. Also new this week are different Celebrity / Mania shorties and Hulk Hogan Anthology 2 in Specials, as well as 2 new Snuka matches in Hall of Fame (one from 1993 ECW, the other a tag match with Hogan).

I watched some of Mania III last night. The video looks really good. With the 'old' interviews, yes, obviously ones where Vince was sitting in the studio with a Road Dogg shirt in the background was old, but I don't recall the seeing the one where he put over Monsoon as great and said Jesse was 'ok'. They also had a little Raymond Rogeau interview! Raymond Rogeau! He didn't say anything important, but it was cool. That said, I'm in no hurry to get the DVD of this.

ECW in 1995 is like watching guys doing cameo appearances. Like "Hey, here's some lucha action." Or "Hey, it's Eddie and Malenko." It's enjoyable stuff and probably the best show on the Territories section, but it's not my favorite ECW stuff. I enjoy the 1997-99 era better, since the production values were better and it features the guys that I enjoyed most in ECW (RVD, Sabu, Dudleys, etc.).

I don't think the work is especially good in that Raven/Stevie vs. Pitbulls match, but it's a fun match.

The Dark Patriot and Don Muraco are involved in the Snuka vs Tommy Cairo match. Good stuff.

I'm going to have to double check with my WM Collection tape of Mania 3 (and I had always been led to believe these were complete) but the 'new' WM3 has Vince McMahon interviewing Hulk Hogan after the JYD/Race match. The things Hogan says in the interview seem familiar, but I don't recall Vince doing a backstage interview. Maybe I just FF too much and forget things. I don't know when the last time I didn't FF right through Koko vs Reed, so I'm not sure what music Koko originally used at Mania 3, but it was cool hearing Piledriver ('ar gu ment') again on the 24/7 version.

caught the recent MNW episode...Nitro was actually a pretty solid show, I have to admit. Raw, for the most part, was garbage, but any chance you get to see the Bret Hart/Steve Austin rivalry is a blessing. Very cool seeing the beginnings of Bret Hart's slow burn heel turn.

I finished WM3 tonight, I hadn't seen the show in years, and it actually holds up much better then I remember. The pop up interviews and info is a decent idea, but I'd rather see them try and set up some match specific shoot commentary during the show with either the wrestlers or other participants, or even Vince himself.

I finally saw Sting vs Hogan from Starrcade 97, that match was so funny. Hearing about what went down is one thing, but actually seeing how it all went down is another. Hogan getting the clean pinfall, the crowd cheering, and then Bret Hart beating up Nick Patrick without ever offering a reason (I know it was supposed to be a fast count, but at the very least he could have EXPLAINED that since it wasn't that fast).

I hope SuperBrawl VIII gets voted for next month's Big One.

I hope SuperBrawl VIII gets voted for next month's Big One.

I voted Wrestlerock 86 if only because it's the only one I've never seen. But even though the main events suck, I always liked that Superbrawl. The opening TV Title series with Booker T, Saturn, and Martel is good, and then you have DDP-Benoit and Jericho-Juvi, two awesome matches. I think Backlash 03 is winning, though, just because it's more recent.

I'm getting digital cable and WWE 24/7 soon. I know it's an "on demand" channel but for how long are the shows availlable ? In the last few pages of the thread, there was talk about Wrestlemania V or December to Dismember, are these shows still on ? The Monday Night Wars are around the end of 1996 (that was the reason for me to get 24/7, to see 1997 all over again), but do the shows change every week ?

Are you also harrassed by constant WWE advertising ? Like an ad for the next PPV or Cena marchandise or the "Don't try this at home" clip like they use on the DVDs ? I know there some audio edits like some entrance themes, blurring the WWF scratch logo, the WW_ silences, but do they keep Ventura's commentary intact ?

I'm getting digital cable and WWE 24/7 soon. I know it's an "on demand" channel but for how long are the shows availlable ? In the last few pages of the thread, there was talk about Wrestlemania V or December to Dismember, are these shows still on ? The Monday Night Wars are around the end of 1996 (that was the reason for me to get 24/7, to see 1997 all over again), but do the shows change every week ?

Are you also harrassed by constant WWE advertising ? Like an ad for the next PPV or Cena marchandise or the "Don't try this at home" clip like they use on the DVDs ? I know there some audio edits like some entrance themes, blurring the WWF scratch logo, the WW_ silences, but do they keep Ventura's commentary intact ?

1. Usually a show is posted for two weeks.

2. WWE will show short previews for other 24/7 programming, but otherwise shows are advertisement free.

Oh no. Please not fucking Backlash 2003 again. They showed that crap PPV last year on 24/7. Why do they even do this "Pick Your Big One" poll anyway? People have no taste and vote for just whatever weak WWE PPV is most recent and on the list. I was shocked that GAB 1990 was actually voted, but they hype it around UT being Mean Mark at that point so some people are intrigued.

I'm still wondering why they just don't do a full blown cable channel at this point...they have more than enough material and, technically, like most cable channels, from 11 to 5 they can show infomercials if need be so that clears up 42 hours they'd have to worry about filling with content.

Hell, they could even create original programming, they have the resources, maybe show some current house shows or something. They could bring back All-Star Wrestling or Wrestling Superstars, both old and maybe some newer versions. Maybe some OVW and DSW shows. I mean the possibilities are endless.

Also, have they purchased Stampede video yet? is it in the works? was it ever? I swear I heard they were trying like hell to get it.

Quick comment about the episode of Prime Time Wrestling put up on Wednesday. Main event was Muraco and Orton vs King Kong Bundy and Paul Orndorf, both heel teams. This seemed odd to me, and I thought Face vs Face or Heel vs Heel matches almost never happened until recent times.

Quick comment about the episode of Prime Time Wrestling put up on Wednesday. Main event was Muraco and Orton vs King Kong Bundy and Paul Orndorf, both heel teams. This seemed odd to me, and I thought Face vs Face or Heel vs Heel matches almost never happened until recent times.

If that was from the Maple Leaf Gardens, it was apart of a tournament that the Killer Bees eventually won.

I'm re-watching WM3 now...the pop-ups leave a lot to be desired, but it's cool getting the commentary. Savage/Steamboat never gets old. The rest of the card wasn't bad, but with the super hot crowd all night, even the mediocre came out alright.

Line of the night from Bob Eucker: "There's a lot of beaver out there" (referring to midget wrestler Little Beaver who was flying all over the ring at the time)

I guess the episode of PTW up right was one I missed while on vacation or didn't show up on my cable system in it's original 'in-order' airing of the show because I haven't seen it previously. Nothing special out of any of the matches but as usual the Gorilla/Heenan interplay is tops. I did enjoy the clips from the big battle royal on SNME where Andre tossed Hogan, that's all new to me; if the era of slickly produced pre-match video packages existed in 1987, I'm sure that image would have been played with ominous music and left a mark in wrestling history, but that's life (or was, anyway).

Old school PTW is maybe the only wrestling show worth watching for the announcers first and foremost. This might sound strange but what was the WWF's main show back in the day? Was it Superstars or Prime Time Wrestling? I honestly have to say PTW since Superstars was more of a syndicated show and could vary in station and slot, whereas PTW was on USA every Monday night without fail.

Old school PTW is maybe the only wrestling show worth watching for the announcers first and foremost. This might sound strange but what was the WWF's main show back in the day? Was it Superstars or Prime Time Wrestling? I honestly have to say PTW since Superstars was more of a syndicated show and could vary in station and slot, whereas PTW was on USA every Monday night without fail.

Superstars generally had all the big story arcs leading up to the PPV's, at least for the mid-card and would be the place where all the minor storylines would progress on the off months when there was no PPV to build. It was also where the Pipers Pit / Flower Shop / Brother Love Show / Whatever would take place which would also continue feuds along. The biggest big storylines involving Hogan, Warrior, Savage, and the rest of the main event crew was mostly on Saturday Nights Main Event, they rarely appeared on the weekly shows. Prime Time Wrestling generally shilled for PPVs and SNME, and aired squash matches taped from recent A-Level House Shows.

I re-watched HBK/Austin from WM 14 last night, probably the 3rd time I've watched the match. It's too bad HBK's back was totally shot to hell. As it was, I'd give it 2.5 to 3 stars at the most. It was actually kind of uncomfortable watching it as you can totally tell his back was really fucking him up in a big way. I was actually surprised with a few of the bumps he took which included his go into the turnbuckles upsidedown back first spot and a couple tosses over the top rope.

It's in the SHorties section, btw

going back to music dubs I did watch wm 15 on here last week or so, finkel dubbe dover himself for the opening match ( I think cuz in the original airing he said this match is for the WWF hardcore title, plus in the show vs foley match, where he original said the winner will ref the WWF title match)I checked my tape of the live ppv and yep thats the case. only music dub was Tori's generic song dubbed over by another generic song (bizzare to see generic songs replaced by even more generic songs), plus they cut out the pre match video package of shane vs xpac, and cut very voilently to DX backstage

I suppose this was the anthology dvd version.

before that I had watched the 3/22/99 RAW and looking back you can see why WWE was more popula rthan and feels so boring now, sure the matches were short, but the show had this feeling of excitement (like nitro in its heyday) and a "anything can happen at any moment" feel that left you wnating to stay tuned in. Plus looking at it now, WWE actually was able to fully book different title divisions, with multiple challengers and feuds that made sense (well except for the weird switching of Road Dogg and Billy Gunn to the others division. now they can care less to book the lower card title divisions

this morning I watched the 12/16/96 MNW. Good stuff. Again no themes edited on Nitro (except fo rmaybe Jericho I dont remember that song, but mayb Im wrong I thought he only used the song thats always on ESPN as his first wcw theme, before the switch to the Pearl Jam ripoff.)

, hell they even leave in the company logos that sponsored the replays.

Fun to see the whole sting saga again. Except for the announcers who never realized that the fake sting wasnt really him (despite the camera cut from the real one coming down to nwo Sting coming out with a different t shirt on and a bat in his hand) or maybe ill let scott keith make the call

"Rick Steiner v. Sting. It's the nWo Sting who comes to the ring (easily distinguished by being the one CHEWING GUM), but the real Sting follows him out and takes him down. What, you expected them to deliver on an advertised match? What show have you been watching?"

Wow watching this show really makes you want to see starrcade lol The Sullivan-Benoit angle continues to be crazy, although at the time confusing to me cuz I had no idea of the real life marriage of woman and sullivan.

RAW was ok, but stupid to see a karate fighters tournament take ovee the ring, (and you mean to tell me they had to script a toy fight?)

but it actually had a purpose, that being furthering Goldusts face turn , and his little altercation with Lawler as well("You know you're a.... well arent you?")

The Gunns match seemed promising but they blew it with a 3 min match with an injury angle that went nowhere as they never faced each other again and the whole story was dropped right after, and no mention was made when Billy returned, and Bart dissapeared until his return in the new midnight express in 98. Vince defeding Bret saying he wasnt a whiner was funny. seeing the fake razor and diesel is always worth a laugh. Jacobs looks so different then he does now, I guess due to the hair and such, plus much different then when he was Issac Yankem, which is why back then I didnt initially make the connection between the two, untill I saw him up close. (and JR described Diesel, as "25 years old and 6' 8, wow he was so young then, I guess that makes him around 35 or 6 today)

In the Austin vs Michaels match, Howard Finkel's announcement of the "World Wrestling Federation referee" banning HHH and Chyna from ringside is obviously overdubbed, are there many cases like this ?

It's nice seeing the old Raw and Nitro shows again. I remember being genuinely concerned about Bart injuring Billy during their match (it was during my young mark days) and man, did Hogan always got his ass kissed real good in all of the Nitros. December to Dismember, apart from the opener, sucked. I expected to kind a "so good it's bad" type of show, but it was just boring. The old Boston show was good though, I loved the old 80's tag division.