TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

The announcement doesn't surprise me too much, given how ragged and truly exhausted he appeared to be towards the end. I can't see him coming back to a team in any on-field capacity and, really, it wouldn't surprise me if he took a break from the sport entirely.

The Cowboys are going to try to throw a truckload of money at Bill Cowher.

Theres no way in the world he takes the job for 2007 season considering he went on "hiatus" for the upcoming year..he'd be vilified about as much as Nick Saban. The Cowboys need a big name coach and he's probably the biggest one out there, BUT they still have to play 2007 and who in their right mind would take the Cowboys job for 1 year knowing they get their ass kicked out the front door at the end of the season no matter what? Maybe Jerry Jones coaches them for one year lol..

Bengals rookie CB Johnathon Joseph got arrested last night in Kentucky for marijuana possession. Damn shame too as it puts a black mark on his great rookie season.

Bengals rookie CB Johnathon Joseph got arrested last night in Kentucky for marijuana possession. Damn shame too as it puts a black mark on his great rookie season.

That makes the 9th Bengal in nine months... I'm afraid what would happen if this team would have made it to the Super Bowl.

Raiders hire USC offensive coordinator Kiffin

Jan. 22, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders hired Lane Kiffin as their coach Monday night, making the 31-year-old Southern California offensive coordinator the NFL's youngest head coach.

Kiffin, the son of Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, earned the job with a strong interview Monday after the Raiders failed to reach a deal last week with 32-year-old Steve Sarkisian, Kiffin's fellow assistant to Pete Carroll at USC.

Raiders owner Al Davis quickly moved to land another up-and-coming offensive mind with sterling college credentials, but just one season of NFL experience -- as a defensive quality control coach with Jacksonville in 2000.

Raiders senior personnel executive Michael Lombardi confirmed the hiring in an e-mail to the Associated Press. The agreement was first reported by the Contra Costa Times.

Kiffin is the Raiders' 16th head coach -- and the youngest in franchise history.

The former Fresno State quarterback is younger than at least nine players who finished the season with Oakland during its NFL-worst 2-14 campaign, including defensive tackle Warren Sapp, fullback Zack Crockett and receiver Alvis Whitted.

Coach Art Shell was fired after the season, and Davis apparently was determined to hire another young offensive-minded coach in the mold of Jon Gruden, his last successful hire. Davis has fired three coaches in the last four years: Bill Callahan, Norv Turner and Shell, whose return to the Raiders lasted just one year.

Kiffin had been at USC for six years. While former Raiders assistant Sarkisian coached from the sideline last season, Kiffin called the plays for the Rose Bowl champion Trojans.

Sarkisian had two strong interviews with the Raiders last week, but decided to stay at USC on Friday night. Both claimed Sarkisian never was offered the job, though numerous media reports said Sarkisian turned the club down.

Davis first interviewed Kiffin on Thursday -- apparently to explore the possibility of hiring Kiffin as the club's offensive coordinator. Kiffin, who also coached receivers for USC, returned to the Bay Area on Sunday for a second interview, this time to discuss becoming the Raiders' head coach.

Kiffin also was a finalist for the top job at the University of Minnesota earlier in the offseason.

Davis has ample reason to trust in young minds: Gruden, Mike Shanahan and John Madden all succeeded as Raiders head coaches in their 30s -- as did Davis.

Former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, San Diego Chargers receivers coach James Lofton and Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan also interviewed for the job.

The Raiders have serious personnel problems with one of the NFL's worst offenses, but their defense was among the league's best. Oakland also has the No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I just hope the guy is ready for the ulcers associated with working for Al Davis.

Anyone biting on these Vick to the Raiders rumors? It's starting to gain a fair amount of steam in the meida, but that might be because we are in that two week lull before the SB. Seems fairly implausible to me, but Al Davis has done stupider things in the past and they do need a QB.

Anyone biting on these Vick to the Raiders rumors? Seems fairly implausible to me, but Al Davis has done stupider things in the past and they do need a QB.

Vick was horrible in Atlanta with no receivers and a barely there offensive line. He's look unworthy for high school with no offensive line and still receivers who can't catch.

Even Vick doesn't deserve that.

Anyone biting on these Vick to the Raiders rumors? Seems fairly implausible to me, but Al Davis has done stupider things in the past and they do need a QB.

Vick was horrible in Atlanta with no receivers and a barely there offensive line. He's look unworthy for high school with no offensive line and still receivers who can't catch.

It wouldn't work. Vick has a huge contract, the cap hit in getting rid of him would cripple the Falcons.

I still think Oakland should have promoted their defensive coordinator, then hired on someone like Kiffen as the OC. Their defense was superb last year, may as well reward the only guy who did well.

It wouldn't work. Vick has a huge contract, the cap hit in getting rid of him would cripple the Falcons.

I still think Oakland should have promoted their defensive coordinator, then hired on someone like Kiffen as the OC. Their defense was superb last year, may as well reward the only guy who did well.

Nah, let the defensive coordinator look good another year or two... and then let him get a decent job somewhere else. Your idea of that being a reward for him, would probably shave 7 years off his life expectancy.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

So he went from being the announced head coach of the Steelers to the offensive line coach of the Cardinals.

(descending whistle sound)

I didn't watch much of college football this year until the bowl games - how much did Lane Kiffin change the USC offensive scheme that he inherited from Norm Chow?

Not much, mostly less 5 wideout sets. Must have been doing something right to get such a sorry QB to lead the team to the Rose Bowl.

In regards to Mexico talk, I think his offense would really benefit Ron.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Who would the Raiders trade? I was going to say that they have to keep Porter and Moss, or else there's nobody to throw to, but then I realized he just runs it anyway.

Who would the Raiders trade? I was going to say that they have to keep Porter and Moss, or else there's nobody to throw to, but then I realized he just runs it anyway.

When I heard it being talked about, they were saying the Raiders would package the #1 pick and either Porter or Moss, which is just way too much in my opinion. Daunte Culpepper went for a #2 last year and I would rank him far above Vick (this horrible year notwithstanding).

Watching ESPN last night I see that the Texans are thinking of trying to get Plummer to come to Houston?

Why?

Seriously.. I know the team wasn't that great, but to finish out at 6-10 after the abyssmal season we had the year before is great. A couple of those games if we eliminate a penalty here or there or go for broke with 58 seconds left we might've actually finished at .500 this year.

I assume to get Jake, we'd have to give up a few players or picks and I don't see how that would be beneficial to us seeing as how we'd still have a shit OLine that couldn't protect Jake.

Hearing talk about trying to draft AP just seems more like an appeasement move at this point than drafting for need to me.. we've got a good two back system with Dayne and Taylor. I know drafting a lineman with the pick would have everyone in Houston groaning again.. but without a solid left tackle or guard.. any QB we throw back there will just wind up on their back.

Guest Vitamin X

That's awesome. Let David Carr go so he can be a Packer and rub it in every Houston fan's face, then take on JAKE FUCKING PLUMMER as your franchise quarterback.

Is it something about having a franchise named the Texans that just begs for it to suck?

(For those who don't know, the Dallas Texans were the worst and most unsuccessful franchise in the history of professional football, whose only win in their only season was a a 27-23 win over the Halas Chicago Bears, who was so confident that his team would win, he started his entire second string team. And hell, they almost did, judging by the score)

I'd gladly take Carr if Favre does retire. Or take him even if Brett stays and let him learn learn the system for a season.

I can't be the only one thinking that David Carr is a far superior player than Jake Plummer, right? Even if he's not, wouldn't it make the front office look like morons for passing over Leinart and Young last year because supposedly Carr was their guy only to backtrack one year later?

What's the status on Domanick (Davis) Williams? I've heard some people say he'll be lucky to play another down, but others saying that he should be back to full speed. What was the extent of the injury, and have any others who've had it made successful comebacks?

David Carr is a perfectly acceptable NFL quaterback. He's had a completion percentage of more than 60% each of the last three years (68% this past year) and has played in every game in four of his first five seasons (shocking considering how many times he's been sacked due to his shitty o-line).

Guest Vitamin X

Not to mention he somehow had the highest passer rating in the NFL until midseason when Houston's pitiful offensive line and their middling running attack failed him again and had way too much pressure on him to perform. Carr is a Pro Bowler anywhere else, possibly an elite QB at that. He's a tough motherfucker with a strong arm, good decision making, and great accuracy. Any team would be lucky to have him take over if Houston dumps him. He'll be the next Steve Young, and the Texans the new Tampa Bay Bucs.

I can't be the only one thinking that David Carr is a far superior player than Jake Plummer, right? Even if he's not, wouldn't it make the front office look like morons for passing over Leinart and Young last year because supposedly Carr was their guy only to backtrack one year later?

What's the status on Domanick (Davis) Williams? I've heard some people say he'll be lucky to play another down, but others saying that he should be back to full speed. What was the extent of the injury, and have any others who've had it made successful comebacks?

I've always been of the mind wondering thought Carr was better than advertised. He just seemed to have the presence of someone who could definitely make the opposition's life hell if he was on a different team. The problem with getting rid of Carr is you kill a good portion of the fanbase in Houston because as you mentioned, they passed on both Leinart and Young. The fans would likely just go "to hell with this", for the many who haven't yet.

Depending on who you talk to, Davis is either one of the following:

1) Ready to go

2) He's Curtis Martin in terms of injury. Knee cap directly on bone, therefore can't run.

Although, I'm more leaning to the second one considering how many more of those I've read.

Not to mention he somehow had the highest passer rating in the NFL until midseason when Houston's pitiful offensive line and their middling running attack failed him again and had way too much pressure on him to perform. Carr is a Pro Bowler anywhere else, possibly an elite QB at that. He's a tough motherfucker with a strong arm, good decision making, and great accuracy. Any team would be lucky to have him take over if Houston dumps him. He'll be the next Steve Young, and the Texans the new Tampa Bay Bucs.

Don't forget he is very mobile. There were a couple of games where Carr was the leading rusher for the Texans because his entire front line fell down in front of him and he had to run for his life. The Houston Texans front office and ESPN seem to be the only people who think Carr is a bad quarterback. Joe Montana in his PRIME would have looked like crap behind that line.

When I watched that Eagles game and I couldn't count to ONE before the entire Eagles defense was lying on top of Carr, I knew something was very wrong in Texan country. At the end of the day, the situation is this. Kubiak didn't like Matt, he didn't like Vince and he doesn't like Carr. Plummer was his quarterback for his system so he thinks Jake can make his offense work. The problem is he doesn't have the line he had in Denver and the coach cannot accept that.

The Texans would need to surrender their second round pick to get Plummer (mainly because the Broncos now know they are morons), which is a horrible decision since QB wasn't one of their problems. Lineman, a heavy carry back and secondary are the problems in Houston. But apparently only the coaching staff of the Texans doesn't realize this.

I mean, what's next? Drew Bledsoe as option 2?

I wouldn't say that David Carr is a crappy quarterback, but I'm not sure he's the superstar in the making that many people here consider him to be. He had a high completion percentage (and, as a result, a high QB rating), but it's mostly out of short yardage gimmies on third-and-longs and checkdowns; he was far less efficient whenever he was required to stretch the offense. He is fairly mobile, but he's not a difference maker on the ground - don't forget that QB rushing statistics are somewhat skewed, since tackles behind the line of scrimmage are scored as sacks rather than rushing attempts. He still takes a ton of sacks (41 this year) and he doesn't protect the football well (16 fumbles this year).

That being said, Plummer's definitely not an upgrade and he's certainly not worth burning a draft pick to acquire, when there are still countless holes all over the team.

I wouldn't say that David Carr is a crappy quarterback, but I'm not sure he's the superstar in the making that many people here consider him to be. He had a high completion percentage (and, as a result, a high QB rating), but it's mostly out of short yardage gimmies on third-and-longs and checkdowns; he was far less efficient whenever he was required to stretch the offense. He is fairly mobile, but he's not a difference maker on the ground - don't forget that QB rushing statistics are somewhat skewed, since tackles behind the line of scrimmage are scored as sacks rather than rushing attempts. He still takes a ton of sacks (41 this year) and he doesn't protect the football well (16 fumbles this year).

That being said, Plummer's definitely not an upgrade and he's certainly not worth burning a draft pick to acquire, when there are still countless holes all over the team.

I don't think most of us are calling him a "potential superstar" as much as saying that it's hard to judge how good he is when he's got a bunch of goddamn matadors as his offensive line. (As in "They all say 'Ole!' and let the bull rush right past them")

If the Texans ever get a decent O-Line and Carr still sucks, THEN it's time to scrap him.

IMHO, the Texans wouldn't be nearly this bad if they hadn't traded picks with New Orleans 2 years ago.

New Orleans moved up 3 slots to get All-Pro LT Jammal Brown, who's anchoring their O-line, while the Texans got DT Travis Johnson and a high 3rd round pick in 2006, which turned out to be OT Eric Winston.

Johnson has 21 tackles in 2 seasons while Winston is their starting RT as of now.

While not exactly a one-sided bad deal like, say, any deal involving the Knicks, they could have gotten Brown to anchor their offensive line for years without switching picks then still gotten a fat boy to stuff the middle later in the draft.